• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
This has been on my mind for awhile. If you could choose 1 character to replace for Isaac in Brawl, but that replaced character would get in Smash 4, who would you choose?

Me, it would be Olimar. Now, I have no hate for the character whatsoever, but his inclusion in Brawl has always made me scratch my head wondering, "why?" Now, he would have been a perfect fit for Smash 4 due to all the weird, yet clever characters that were added like WFT, Villager, Duck Hunt, etc. Olimar fits better as a Smash 4 character than a Brawl one.

And if Isaac was cut from Smash 4, the reason would be, "...uh, his Psynergy was difficult to implement in the 3DS." HA!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
This has been on my mind for awhile. If you could choose 1 character to replace for Isaac in Brawl, but that replaced character would get in Smash 4, who would you choose?

Me, it would be Olimar. Now, I have no hate for the character whatsoever, but his inclusion in Brawl has always made me scratch my head wondering, "why?" Now, he would have been a perfect fit for Smash 4 due to all the weird, yet clever characters that were added like WFT, Villager, Duck Hunt, etc. Olimar fits better as a Smash 4 character than a Brawl one.

And if Isaac was cut from Smash 4, the reason would be, "...uh, his Psynergy was difficult to implement in the 3DS." HA!
Olimar was included in brawl because of Miyamoto.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

Olimar was made by Mr Miyamoto himself and Camelot was a new partner for Nintendo. In Sakurai's eyes Pikmin is more important

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, there you have it. You officially found a hole in the image's reasoning. If Roy originated on the GCN because he first appeared in Melee, then Toon Link originated on the GBA because he first appeared in the Four Swords side game with the ALTTP GBA release. Them's the rules!

And that ones more than a technicality, actually. I would solidly put him in the GBA category because of that.
I would need to do more research, but I have a feeling that any trailers Wind Waker got would edge TL's WW debut to before Four Sword,. but... *shrug*

It's funny, though. Roy and Lucas could have been N64 characters, both Sword of Seals and Mother 3 were going to be on the Nintendo 64, but were transferred to the GBA instead. Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals was originally going to be called "Maiden of the Dark" (ファイアエンブレム・暗黒の巫女; "Fire Emblem: Ankoku no Miko; to be specific). Makes me think Idunn would have had more plot relevance than she ended up having (she was still relevant, but was basically a bonus boss in FE6).

I wonder if Golden Sun was always going to be on the GBA, or if it was originally an N64 title that got repurposed for the handheld. I mean, considering the scope of the game, it would make sense, really.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I would need to do more research, but I have a feeling that any trailers Wind Waker got would edge TL's WW debut to before Four Sword,. but... *shrug*

It's funny, though. Roy and Lucas could have been N64 characters, both Sword of Seals and Mother 3 were going to be on the Nintendo 64, but were transferred to the GBA instead. Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals was originally going to be called "Maiden of the Dark" (ファイアエンブレム・暗黒の巫女; "Fire Emblem: Ankoku no Miko; to be specific).

I wonder if Golden Sun was always going to be on the GBA, or if it was originally an N64 title that got repurposed for the handheld. I mean, considering the scope of the game, it would make sense, really.
Funny. I heard the 64 version never existed, due to the creator not wanting to transition to 3D.

Miyamoto might've been eager to announce it, but Kaga was probably pissed. I think that's why he left IS.

I think Sword of Seals and the 64 game are completely different games.

Also, yes. Golden Sun was a 64 game. The models were made 3D, but since the 64 was dead in japan, so they created for the GBA instead with the 3d Models that they had. And that's why it's so polished.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord

It's funny, though. Roy and Lucas could have been N64 characters, both Sword of Seals and Mother 3 were going to be on the Nintendo 64, but were transferred to the GBA instead. Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals was originally going to be called "Maiden of the Dark" (ファイアエンブレム・暗黒の巫女; "Fire Emblem: Ankoku no Miko; to be specific). Makes me think Idunn would have had more plot relevance than she ended up having (she was still relevant, but was basically a bonus boss in FE6).

It actually was going to be an N64 game but it moved to GBA for obvious reasons. That might explain why the game has pre-rendered graphics https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...4-game-before-moving-to-game-boy-advance.aspx

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I do believe you're right. I got a little ahead of myself. The idea of Toon Link came into existence for the GCN game, The Wind Waker... So it is still a technicality that his first released game appearance was on the GBA. I don't feel it is a technicality on the level of Roy appearing on the GCN first, but it's in the territory, I suppose... It's just that Toon Link actually appeared in an original Zelda game of sorts, while Roy appeared in Melee. So it does make me think.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Funny. I heard the 64 version never existed, due to the creator not wanting to transition to 3D.

Miyamoto might've been eager to announce it, but Kaga was probably pissed. I think that's why he left IS.

I think Sword of Seals and the 64 game are completely different games.

Also, yes. Golden Sun was a 64 game. The models were made 3D, but since the 64 was dead in japan, so they created for the GBA instead with the 3d Models that they had. And that's why it's so polished.
"Fire Emblem 64" which became "FE: Ankoku no Miko" and then later "Sword of Seals" are all part of the same line of development.

FE64 and Sword of Seals are technically not the same game, but two characters exist in all three stages of the game's development: Roy and Karel.

Roy's melee characterisation might have actually been the characterisation he had in Ankoku no Miko, but after it got retooled it was too late to redo his lines in Melee.
It actually was going to be an N64 game but it moved to GBA for obvious reasons. That might explain why the game has pre-rendered graphics https://www.gameinformer.com/b/news...4-game-before-moving-to-game-boy-advance.aspx
Very interesting, I'll have to read that tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I'm about to go to bed.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

I’d pick Wolf.

And, no, not just because that would mean that Wolf would make it into Smash 4.

I know a lot of people loved him, but he was always one of the least hype characters for me. Argue for uniqueness all you want, but I’m a casual, and I can’t look past that third version of the exact same specials. Sure, they’ve done it with Link now, but that’s a bit of a different situation, since Toon Link has replaced Young Link for several games.

With Wolf I was just like “really?”. Is that all StarFox has to offer?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Real talk? Back then, Toon Link hands down.
I really hated that inclusion.
Now, I'm more than ok with him being around, but boy did I not like him in Brawl.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Hey everyone, I don't know if this has been posted yet but I found this random poll on Twitter, let's try and get as many votes on it as we can!

https://t.co/sEqVQ6dBs1
Added my vote for Isaac! For those who'll vote, make sure you put "(Golden Sun)" after Isaac's name as it only gives you one option and that's it. Don't want them thinking its Binding of Isaac. And you need a Google account to vote too.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace

Yeah its definitely olimar for me too, and I wouldn't want him in smash 4 either

I hate him (sorry)

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord

R.O.B.. I honestly don't mind the character and understand his incredible historical significance, but knowing how poor his initial reception was, Isaac would've come off much more smoothly, represented a series that could get a boost in importance like Pikmin did, and would also be in future Smash games to come. R.O.B. would eventually be in anyways and fit right into that blanket of unique/experiemental/WTF that Sakurai loved so much in Smash 4.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
People saying many things about GBA but in the DS era we only have Lucario
Just Lucario of the entire DS era
Yeah, my main point being that the GBA had new IPs that destroyed in sales. Lucas, ZSS and Lucario were all from previously represented franchises. Despite this, Smash likes to pretend that those IPs never happened. It almost feels like you either need to have started out on a home console or become so blindingly popular that repping absence (in the case of Pokemon) wouldn't make sense. This brings up a good point too though with the 3DS smash. It never really panned out the way it should have.

Nintendo knew that their handhelds were wildly popular and had successful games all up and down its library. But it somehow just completely snubs most of the content you can see from handheld franchises. I mean, if you really think about it handheld exclusive series having playable reps? Pokemon stands alone on that mountain. Everything else, even if the character was from a handheld game has also been on console. It's to the point that I wonder if Wario would ever get in if all of the Wario World and Warioware games only released on handhelds and he was never in any Mario Party or Sports game. The bias feels that real.

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I mean, this is the same universe where a pink puff ball gets to fight an itailian plumber, and a flat gif.

Smash Bros is always jarring.
The pink marshmallow of death. And a yellow ball who eats your soul after Kirby destroys your body.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
One thing i noticed is that most people seem to think that Isaac won't get in due to having no mii costume.

Idk. Perhaps that goes against us?

Arteen

Smash Lord

I'd shelve R.O.B. until Smash 4. He's an important part of Nintendo history, but he's an awful video game character. He was a gimmick to sell the NES is traditional toy stores and his games were bad.

I would say Lucas or Toon Link or Wolf, but they wouldn't have been comparable in development effort to a completely original character like Isaac.

Olimar is the character I think deserved his Brawl appearance the most. He's kind of gimmicky and awkward, but Pikmin was the biggest new "viable" franchise since Melee came out, so he was a shoo-in regardless.

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
One thing i noticed is that most people seem to think that Isaac won't get in due to having no mii costume.

To be fair, ridley didn't have one either but idk not having an Isaac mii costume bothers me as well

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Like, KIng K Rool was put as a Mii Fighter. Why not Isaac as well?
My super optimistic guess is that Sakurai didn't add one so that we'd be hella surprised when he reveals Isaac

But realistically it makes you think if the mii costumes are some sort of indication of the ballot results

alguidrag

Smash Ace

Nah I don't remember seeing Ridley, Simon, Edgy Samus and Richter as Mii costume, and A LOT of Mii costume was deconfirmed

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah I feel like there are consoles that need more franchises that originated from them in Smash. N64 could use Banjo Kazooie, Custom Robo and Sin & Punishment. GBA could use Golden Sun, DS could use Professor Layton
After Sakurai retires, can you take over as new Sakurai? Do it for all of us.

Metocles

Smash Journeyman
Really not sweating the mii costume holiday blowout. Isaac's costume even looked already like on of the mii swordsman outfits minus the yellow scarf. It could be any number of things like why add in a new costume that is the same plus a yellow scarf?

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
For what it's worth bandana dee, dixie kong and shadow didnt have mii costumes either

We probably shouldn't look too much into it

Last edited:
Top Bottom