• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I think it should be noted that we only got two new franchises represented, one a major third-party and the other Nintendo's most successful new IP in a long time. Isaac may have been docked because he'd need a stage to represent his series, and there simply wasn't enough time to make anything more than a fighter.
This was what I was about to comment on as well. There's always been a certain amount of new first party franchises introduced through the newcomers. In Smash 4 we got Punch Out, Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Duck Hunt and Wii Fit.

And because of that I always felt like Arms and Golden Sun were shoe ins cause I assumed Sakurai would add a similar amount of new franchises, before he made the comment about expecting less newcomers. Then Arms also got the same assist trophy treatment as Golden Sun at the time.

So it wasn't even a case of, well Sakurai added more relevant new first parties over Isaac for base instead. Only one was ever added at all because bringing back all vets took priority and Splatoon was obviously the most popular new series at the time. And now Arms is finally added as DLC so if they decide to add more new first party series in the pass, it's hard to think of them skipping over the Golden Sun series.

I mean of course they could, but when I think of new first party series for playable reps, there's only so many that come to mind that also has the popular demand behind it as well.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Yeah, it was pretty well-known that Sakurai noted Rex and an ARMS character as people he'd add had they been released just a bit earlier.
I believe this to be a misconception though. I Don't think Sakurai ever straight up said an ARMS Character and Rex would have been added if their games were Earlier.

He gave out reasons for why they weren't considered for Base roster (being too Late), but that doesn't translate to them being in otherwise. there are other factors at play that couldn't have been considered for Base roster. They also missed FP1 due to not being priority at the moment

ARMS got considered for Smash and managed to get the green light for a Playable spot, but it's no guarantee that Rex will make it though spite all of this. It's likley that he will, but there always could be complications, and or other characters that prevent him from making it even now

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Rex wasn't added because "his game was too recent" or whatever (which became questionable with Byleth later, altho Rex having a paid mii costume still makes him unlikely anyway). It didn't have to do with the same reason as Arms, at all. This shouldn't be mixed up. Arms wasn't added because it was to difficult to add at the time, hence why it was compensated.

and later adds that when pass 2 was decided, they finally made it happen

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Rex wasn't added because "his game was too recent" or whatever (which became questionable with Byleth later, altho Rex having a paid mii costume still makes him unlikely anyway). It didn't have to do with the same reason as Arms, at all. This shouldn't be mixed up. Arms wasn't added because it was to difficult to add at the time, hence why it was compensated.
I'd like to point out that Rex was too late for the base game; Byleth was added based on DLC standards, not base game standards. As such, they managed to get around the pitfall Rex fell into.

amageish

Smash Master
That's fair. Golden Sun did get the most representation out of the games/series without a fighter, besides possibly Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Heck, his Dark Dawn Spirit got into the Legend category. AT the very least, it seems like the devs were aware of his popularity.
Golden Sun's spirit count is also second only to Rhythm Heaven, another franchise there is some evidence was considered to be playable in Smash 4...

It is interesting how we haven't had any direct statements or datamined evidence about Isaac having been considered/abandoned for Smash Bros before. Not that being considered/scrapped is a great thing for future Smash prospects, as for every Bowser or Min Min there are 2-3 Dixie Kongs or Ayumis or Toon Zeldas, but it's still surprising to me.

As for Sakurai's comments about satisfying fans... I wouldn't take that as unique evidence for Isaac, honestly. Popularity + Relevance could get Isaac in for sure, but basically every character would satisfy fans somewhere. The Smash fandom is very very very large and has an insanely diverse list of requests. Min Min starting the pass definitely makes me feel like the comment was more "I'm glad characters will continue to make people happy" and less "The design philosophy of the second pass is min-maxing hype on SmashBoards."

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Golden Sun's spirit count is also second only to Rhythm Heaven, another franchise there is some evidence was considered to be playable in Smash 4...

It is interesting how we haven't had any direct statements or datamined evidence about Isaac having been considered/abandoned for Smash Bros before. Not that being considered/scrapped is a great thing for future Smash prospects, as for every Bowser or Min Min there are 2-3 Dixie Kongs or Ayumis or Toon Zeldas, but it's still surprising to me.

As for Sakurai's comments about satisfying fans... I wouldn't take that as unique evidence for Isaac, honestly. Popularity + Relevance could get Isaac in for sure, but basically every character would satisfy fans somewhere. The Smash fandom is very very very large and has an insanely diverse list of requests. Min Min starting the pass definitely makes me feel like the comment was more "I'm glad characters will continue to make people happy" and less "The design philosophy of the second pass is min-maxing hype on SmashBoards."
The disappointed reaction at Isaac's assist trophy reveal at the New York Nintendo direct seems to show that Isaac was wanted as playable even from a casual perspective of fans simply enjoying a Nintendo presentation. I honestly only expected there to be that one guy or two to react disappointed, so I was pleasantly surprised. So at the very least Isaac's reveal will get some positive hype and reception outside of this thread lol.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
The disappointed reaction at Isaac's assist trophy reveal at the New York Nintendo direct seems to show that Isaac was wanted as playable even from a casual perspective of fans simply enjoying a Nintendo presentation. I honestly only expected there to be that one guy or two to react disappointed, so I was pleasantly surprised. So at the very least Isaac's reveal will get some positive hype and reception outside of this thread lol.
I'm not sure if people going to a Nintendo store for a Smash reveal trailer would count as a "casual perspective". That seems more like a hardcore Smash fan thing to me.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Oh, I'm sure tonnes of people would be hype for Isaac in Smash, especially given how longstanding of a request he's been. I'm not saying this thread doesn't matter and that his popularity isn't one of his biggest assets.

I just mean to say that I think literally every character would qualify for Sakurai's statement about satisfying fans, as literally every character is made for the fans of that character. Terry, Byleth, and Min Min weren't topping fan polls, but they still did have fans out there and the content in their passes was designed to satisfy/excite those fans. So, I don't think Sakurai saying that he aims to continue to satisfy fans can be taken as "evidence" for any one character or group of characters, as it could really mean anyone.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm not sure if people going to a Nintendo store for a Smash reveal trailer would count as a "casual perspective". That seems more like a hardcore Smash fan thing to me.
They were cheering for :ultincineroar: and I really doubt you can call him a character the hardcore fans were happy about.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I guess general would be a better word then? Even fans that record their reactions from home, I still see them as casual? Mainly cause I think they go to react and that's it lol. There may be people on the internet who never go to something like that in person but could be more hardcore as a smash fan. I don't know. I guess when I think of hardcore I think of... this. Being solely invested in talking about said character on the regular, speculate said chances based on what's happening with leaks, rumors, insiders and also actively campaigning to get the series back.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I guess general would be a better word then? Even fans that record their reactions from home, I still see them as casual? Mainly cause I think they go to react and that's it lol. There may be people on the internet who never go to something like that in person but could be more hardcore as a smash fan. I don't know. I guess when I think of hardcore I think of... this. Being solely invested in talking about said character on the regular, speculate said chances based on what's happening with leaks, rumors, insiders and also actively campaigning to get the series back.
I guess when I think of casual fans I think of people who are a bit more detached from our community.

Less "Youtuber posting their reaction to a Smash direct" and more "Random guy who doesn't post online about gaming that much but still plays video games" or "busy person who's into gaming whenever they get the chance and who remembers a lot of gaming icons from the 90s/early 00s but they don't go on the internet to talk about it".

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I guess when I think of casual fans I think of people who are a bit more detached from our community.

Less "Youtuber posting their reaction to a Smash direct" and more "Random guy who doesn't post online about gaming that much but still plays video games" or "busy person who's into gaming whenever they get the chance and who remembers a lot of gaming icons from the 90s/early 00s but they don't go on the internet to talk about it".
Oh wow, that certainly fits the bill. Though how else could we know if they're calling Isaac dead series man unless we actually live with them lol. But it'd be really popping if all those guys that boo'd Isaac's assist happened to jump into this thread lol.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah i'm honestly glad someone made a compilation video of it so that it serves as a reminder to Nintendo, even tho most likely they don't even watch it, but I know my NoA guy told me that they were super aware of the backlash anyway, so that's something I guess…

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Yeah i'm honestly glad someone made a compilation video of it so that it serves as a reminder to Nintendo, even tho most likely they don't even watch it, but I know my NoA guy told me that they were super aware of the backlash anyway, so that's something I guess…
Was Isaac the only character your NoA guy told you about in terms of Nintendo noticing the backlash?

He didn't say anything about Waluigi?

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Was Isaac the only character your NoA guy told you about in terms of Nintendo noticing the backlash?

He didn't say anything about Waluigi?
Nothing on waluigi, most likely because he was deconfirmed super early and not in the very last presentation that had a lot of built up anticipation by rumors and "hints" and what not, lol. I do remember them acting very negative about it tho, like spamming calls to the support center or something? Maybe i'm remembering wrong… but i remember one fanbase did that at least, which wasn't nice to do.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Oh, I'm sure tonnes of people would be hype for Isaac in Smash, especially given how longstanding of a request he's been. I'm not saying this thread doesn't matter and that his popularity isn't one of his biggest assets.

I just mean to say that I think literally every character would qualify for Sakurai's statement about satisfying fans, as literally every character is made for the fans of that character. Terry, Byleth, and Min Min weren't topping fan polls, but they still did have fans out there and the content in their passes was designed to satisfy/excite those fans. So, I don't think Sakurai saying that he aims to continue to satisfy fans can be taken as "evidence" for any one character or group of characters, as it could really mean anyone.
Oh I was just mainly responding to the Smashboards hype part of your post lol. Since there have been those remarks that comment that Isaac's popularity is grossly overstated by us folks on Smashboards and in reality he's more niche and not really expected in the wider Smash community. So that's why I mentioned the Nintendo New York reaction to Isaac's assist being kind of surprising in that regard.

Also yeah Sakurai's words are just a wild goose chase at this point lol. Of course me who religiously checks an Isaac for Smash support thread totally wants to have fun and assume that he's always thinking about adding Isaac with every thing he says lol.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Really? That’s actually pretty interesting. Maybe what happened with:ultkrool: could happen to Isaac.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Krool had a backlash in the past too? I honestly don't know much pre-ultimate, I barely even remember what happened during smash 4 lol
Yeah, I wasn't big on speculation at the time, but apparently everyone was extremely unhappy that K. Rool was relegated to a Mii Costume. I think it was revealed with Corrin and Bayonetta too, which obviously just made things worse.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Oh I totally misread even, yeah that would be neat

Yeah, I wasn't big on speculation at the time, but apparently everyone was extremely unhappy that K. Rool was relegated to a Mii Costume. I think it was revealed with Corrin and Bayonetta too, which obviously just made things worse.

oooooh yeah i do remember that now. I wonder if Banjo fans did the same, I know I was one but i didn't spend time in their thread much

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
K.Rool's Mii Costume was actually released in July 2015 alongside the Lloyd and Chrom Mii costumes. K.Rool fans really weren't happy with the results but I did notice a lot of them wanting to continue pushing him on the ballot regardless which was good

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Just a question, did Sakurai ever say he wanted to add Spring Man specifically in the base game of just "an ARMS character". I ask this because people seem to assume he wanted to include Spring Man in the base game (and then didn't get picked for DLC because much AT) but in all honestly he could have done the same thing and asked Yabuki and got us Min Min lol.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Just a question, did Sakurai ever say he wanted to add Spring Man specifically in the base game of just "an ARMS character". I ask this because people seem to assume he wanted to include Spring Man in the base game (and then didn't get picked for DLC because much AT) but in all honestly he could have done the same thing and asked Yabuki and got us Min Min lol.
Apparently, after the November Direct Sakurai just said that characters from ARMS and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 would've been added, but were cut because their games came out too late. After Min Min was released, Sakurai also added that he felt an ARMS character would be too difficult to implement properly at the time, though evidently he changed his mind on that.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
K.Rool's Mii Costume was actually released in July 2015 alongside the Lloyd and Chrom Mii costumes. K.Rool fans really weren't happy with the results but I did notice a lot of them wanting to continue pushing him on the ballot regardless which was good
Smash fans are picky about this "more likely=talked about more" thing. Cloud wasn't heavily brought up because of this, but just look at the ballot votes that did get in, and how they seemed unlikely to be Smash 4 DLC. Sakurai himself said Ridley's too big and made him a boss, claimed Chrom wouldn't be original and represented him with Robin's FS (and both an unoriginal moveset and Robin's FS are still there with Chrom playable), Konami's dark age was starting around this time, K. Rool wasn't brought back alongside DKC...

SharkLord

Smash Hero
An interesting point was raised in the general thread. Sakurai doesn't always know what's coming in advance, which is why we git stuff like Math still using his Melee design in Brawl over his new Shadow Dragon look, and Samus still used her Other M design instead of the one from Samus Returns. While I'm still confident in Isaac as a potential Banjo-analogue, it makes me wonder if he'll stick with his classic design, the potential remake's look, or a new design entirely.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
An interesting point was raised in the general thread. Sakurai doesn't always know what's coming in advance, which is why we git stuff like Math still using his Melee design in Brawl over his new Shadow Dragon look, and Samus still used her Other M design instead of the one from Samus Returns. While I'm still confident in Isaac as a potential Banjo-analogue, it makes me wonder if he'll stick with his classic design, the potential remake's look, or a new design entirely.
I think it'll be close to his classic design, but only because I think his look won't be updated for the remake. I doubt they do drastic overhauls of the characters, think more FF7R and less Shadow Dragon.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
If this was base roster talk...I would say Isaac has the classic design, but this is dlc. Remember Nintendo is supposed to be picking the games/characters to be used for dlc. And remember Sakurai was talking about how he played an early build of FE: Three Houses to get a feel for Byleth, so let’s think about that with everything we know pointing to possibly a new Golden Sun game:

The new trademark was filed back in the middle of 2018 and from my understanding, due to the type of trademark it is, Nintendo has to present proof of the product they need the trademark for. Now let’s assume this trademark is in fact for an upcoming game such as a remake/remaster of the originals. Well, that would mean Nintendo should have modern/updated concept art for the entire main cast, and they’ve had it for roughly 3 years since they needed stuff to present for the trademark in the first place.

So if everything we believe to be going on is true with this possible new game, then Nintendo is definitely going to give Sakurai and his team the updated concepts for the Golden Sun characters.

Now, allow me to go on a sort of tinfoil hat speculation. This involves a tweet from PushDustin a few days ago. So here is the tweet:
964E3F34-16DE-4C8B-B2BE-3596336E4475.jpeg
I find this to be very interesting because the only reason I can think of for the ads not being updated is due to CP7’s character not getting announced at e3. Now let’s take something else into consideration. Smash has never had a problem announcing a character outside of a normal Nintendo direct. Smash gets its own dedicated directs and they even held a character presentation for Byleth when we didn’t even know who the character was. So the question is, why hold back CP7’s announcement???

I’ve seen many people speculate the character is Paper Mario or a Pokémon but that makes little sense considering fans already knew about Paper Mario’s new game before e3 and we’ve known about part 2 of Pokémon’s dlc too. So maybe CP7 is a character from an unannounced Nintendo game. Maybe this is an Isabelle situation where the new dlc character is suppose to get announced along side their new game.

I do want to say that I’m not trying to get anyone hyped up into thinking Isaac is going to be the next dlc. But as this is a speculation thread, I personally believe CP7 is a character from an unannounced Nintendo game! The new Golden Sun trademarks as well as e3 being the perfect time to have announced the game truly has me feeling Isaac is a legit possibility.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
If this was base roster talk...I would say Isaac has the classic design, but this is dlc. Remember Nintendo is supposed to be picking the games/characters to be used for dlc. And remember Sakurai was talking about how he played an early build of FE: Three Houses to get a feel for Byleth, so let’s think about that with everything we know pointing to possibly a new Golden Sun game:

The new trademark was filed back in the middle of 2018 and from my understanding, due to the type of trademark it is, Nintendo has to present proof of the product they need the trademark for. Now let’s assume this trademark is in fact for an upcoming game such as a remake/remaster of the originals. Well, that would mean Nintendo should have modern/updated concept art for the entire main cast, and they’ve had it for roughly 3 years since they needed stuff to present for the trademark in the first place.

So if everything we believe to be going on is true with this possible new game, then Nintendo is definitely going to give Sakurai and his team the updated concepts for the Golden Sun characters.

Now, allow me to go on a sort of tinfoil hat speculation. This involves a tweet from PushDustin a few days ago. So here is the tweet:
View attachment 284174
I find this to be very interesting because the only reason I can think of for the ads not being updated is due to CP7’s character not getting announced at e3. Now let’s take something else into consideration. Smash has never had a problem announcing a character outside of a normal Nintendo direct. Smash gets its own dedicated directs and they even held a character presentation for Byleth when we didn’t even know who the character was. So the question is, why hold back CP7’s announcement???

I’ve seen many people speculate the character is Paper Mario or a Pokémon but that makes little sense considering fans already knew about Paper Mario’s new game before e3 and we’ve known about part 2 of Pokémon’s dlc too. So maybe CP7 is a character from an unannounced Nintendo game. Maybe this is an Isabelle situation where the new dlc character is suppose to get announced along side their new game.

I do want to say that I’m not trying to get anyone hyped up into thinking Isaac is going to be the next dlc. But as this is a speculation thread, I personally believe CP7 is a character from an unannounced Nintendo game! The new Golden Sun trademarks as well as e3 being the perfect time to have announced the game truly has me feeling Isaac is a legit possibility.
I'm placing my expectations for CP7 on Isaac as well, but my reasoning is a bit more simple. Based on the past E3's, we've gotten some big names there. For both of Ultimate's E3s, we've gotten a big request; Specifically, Ridley and Banjo. Since Isaac is the guy I keep pushing as a Banjo-type character, it would make sense to reveal him there. CP7 was most likely going to be revealed at E3, therefore, it would point towards Isaac.

Of course, it could always be a less niche character, like Crash, Lloyd, or Sora. Let's not count your eggs before they hatch. I'm predicting Isaac, but I'm not putting too much stock into my predictions.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
If I recall correctly, the June 2018 trademark for Golden Sun was filed alongside "Wrecking Crew", "Mario Sluggers", and "Rhythm Heaven". I have no clue what the status of those trademarks are.
Aight.
Ok, a discussion: What would be Isaac's neutral stance? Like the Brawl AT, current AT, or whole new?

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
View attachment 284174

My tinfoil counterpoint: if FP7 is a major surprise (say Sora, Master Chief, or even Geno), they may feel compelled to save it for a major Direct instead of dropping it by itself like Min Min. After all, these Directs don't just appear overnight, and they may well have an agreement with the relevant third-party to give FP7 the limelight of a full Direct. Given we never got the E3 showcase, that would necessarily push it to the typical September Direct. Not to say it couldn't be an Isaac reveal for Smash alongside Golden Sun HD, but since we still can't say for sure that either of those things are happening, probably best not to count our eggs before they hatch.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
My tinfoil counterpoint: if FP7 is a major surprise (say Sora, Master Chief, or even Geno), they may feel compelled to save it for a major Direct instead of dropping it by itself like Min Min. After all, these Directs don't just appear overnight, and they may well have an agreement with the relevant third-party to give FP7 the limelight of a full Direct. Given we never got the E3 showcase, that would necessarily push it to the typical September Direct. Not to say it couldn't be an Isaac reveal for Smash alongside Golden Sun HD, but since we still can't say for sure that either of those things are happening, probably best not to count our eggs before they hatch.
It could be a third party character but I have my doubts. There are many moving parts when it comes to third party characters, especially ones that are planned to be shown at e3. You would think some insiders would have leaked the character just like how DQ and Banjo were leaked before last year’s e3. But the pandemic has affected a lot so it’s tough to say if insiders are getting information like they used to. I also highly doubt the “limelight” argument. So far every dlc character has had a dedicated presentation highlighting the character, as well as their full gaming history. So no matter what, every dlc gets the limelight of a presentation.

Anyways, as I said in my last post, this is all speculation so I can easily be wrong in my line of thinking. But personally I believe CP7 is a Nintendo character.

Top Bottom