• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Summer of Smash: Week #4 - CEO, Karisuma 8, Xanadu

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
Palutena seems like a character who benefits a surprising amount from rage. Like, she's getting her ass beat in neutral by most of top tier (though perhaps not as bad as your typical low tier character), but she can make comebacks from good reads and crazy early kills from Uair. Even Dash attack/Bair becomes a KO options at a reasonable % with rage.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Wow, these Palutena's are ruining my fantasy bracket.

image.jpeg

(I couldn't resist)

:150:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
When Ike jumps to the ledge with Ryu near it.

I don't have a picture, but just picture a massive facepalm because that was terrible.

juddy96

Smash Lord
Raziek :4cloud2: got eliminated by I :4rob:? and Yld :4olimar:, LingLing :4peach: defeated All Might :4sonic: in the same pool

Last edited:

Jams.

+15 Attack
NNID
DumberChild
Kind of disappointing to see the upsets by shofu and AceStar didn't culminate to anything because of the decision to only advance 2 players from bracket. I think this is the FGC standard so it makes sense for CEO to run it, but I still feel advancing 3 players from pools is the superior format.

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Everyone brace for Bowser Jr. jumping up the mental tier list.

Edit: Seriously though, that was amazing. I know no one wants to read random tournament snap shots, but Jade, A BOWSER JR MAIN, just knocked Trela 2-1 into losers.

Double edit: Zero knocked down by a Palutena, Trela killed by BowJR...brace for Ally getting beat by a 1-1-1-1 Brawler main.

Last edited:

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Jade :4bowserjr: 2-1 Trela :4ryu:

I have an infinite more amount of respect for Bowser jr now.

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I hate to do this, but I posted this in the tier list thread over my theory on how strong wild card MU inexperience is in this game. Im transferring it over
I see a metagame where matchup inexperience is a more powerful factor than ever before. With so many characters, naturally your mind is going to forgot about the irrelevant info. In this case,the low tiers. Now take Abadango's Mewtwo for example. He was amazing in Pound 2016 no doubt, but matchup inexperience (and a buttload of buffs but still matchup inexperience) played a huge role. No one really knew how to tackle this relatively mid/low tier prior. Now, since Mewtwo won, people are prepared and consider Mewtwo relavent info. I honestly think Aba will not get those kind of results again unless he switches to another underused wild card and trains like crazy by innovating their game (Mewtwo footstool disable for example, unheard of before).

Moving onto Zero vs Prince ramen, who the heck really plays normal Palutena besides AeroLink I think? Yeah, no one is going to know how to combat her and she is going to be one hell of a wildcard.

I think all players should secretly train a wildcard character. Really, make it someone who is relatively unused, then put lots of work into them. I mean lots. You have to make up for prominent character yet faults too. I think Zero for example, should do so with Shulk. If he masters him...no one will know how to fight back, until they process Shulk as relevant info.

So yeah, I think using unknown characters if you can make up for their faults and it fits your playstyle, is a more fantastic form of tactics in this game that should be utilised. We have 58 characters on the roster. Do some research, who have people never fought and know nothing off?

Which leaves us with the Miis. Now they can't be used online. Double edged sword. Harder to practice , but less people have experience against them. I mean, I've versed about 2 miis in my life, both swordsman. Yet to play a human brawler or gunner. And i would probably get wrecked for it. They would have the matchup knowledge on say, Mewtwo or Luigi but I would have none of them (granted I would use Mewtwo in this one for approach reasons vs a gunner, Luigi for Brawler)

I have heard things about default brawlers specials being the worst in the game, idk. And swordsman has a bad rep that i know nothing about but had Trela before...

Really, with this whole post...i think Mii gunner has the most hidden potential, played to the fullest extent of their projectile game. I look at them and see a fantastic ranged fair, uair, and f smash too. Perfect subjects for my matchup inexperience theory.

I am very adamant about my theory now. The gap between skill and mu inexperience is getting closer and closer. That's Zero and Trela. Two of the bet players in the world losing to low tiers that are never played.

Mu inexperience baby.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Ok so rip my fantasy draft. This entire tournament has so many upsets and not every bracket has even started

EDIT:LTC and CEO need to swap tournament names because this is the rise of low tiers.

Last edited:

NegaNixx

Smash Journeyman
This Losers bracket...

My goodness...

If someone makes a run through this one it's probably going to be a bigger run than Zero's at TBH5.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Everybody's fantasy bracket right now:

image.gif

I would like to also say a prayer for anyone who enters losers bracket.

:150:

juddy96

Smash Lord
JaK :4diddy: eliminates Ryo :4myfriends:, his reward is he gets to fight ZeRo in losers first thing tomorrow.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Emblem Lord said it best - if you don't know an MU, you WILL pay for it at some point in your competitive career.

Illusion.

Master of Stealth
NNID
Illusion97
3DS FC
1822-0471-8951
Switch FC
SW-5043-8035-6923
List of characters who have beaten Trela after his return:
:4dedede:
:4bowserjr:

Interesting stuff.