• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sugarpoultry's Homeroom /[Graphics School]\

Crescendolls

Smash Cadet
Nah, sorry for the two week absence. It's been a busy week, but thankfully I can catch up with spring break.

Anyway, here is my design. I seem to have a fixation with mist:

I followed this tutorial.

I basically followed the tutorial but added a few steps and tweaked some others. Most of it was to change the effect. I also didn't use the C4Ds because I'm not quite comfortable with them.

Omega Nintendo Dude

Smash Rookie
Have you tried smudging? So far, it looks really good. I like your C4d usage. Easy backgrounds can be attained through copying your render, and doing some different smudging. Same with clipping masks and certain splatter brushes.
This is why I came here. I really want to do that, just I can't figure it out with Smudging and Clipping masks. I say some assistance in anyway.:chuckle:

Needed:
Good Brushes for GIMP for Smudging/Splattering
Clipping Mask Lessons
Smudging Lessons
C4D Lessons for Sigs.:chuckle:
Stock Backgrounds and good ones lessons

[I do use Gimp. Who told you I use PS? I know how to use Gimp just some Techs for Graphics is missing.]:chuckle:

hugglebunny

Smash Journeyman

Hey SP
this is my sig i made, and my steps:
1. Copyed and scaled Render
2. blurred image a little bit
3. put background as dark purple
4. made illusions of render
5. colored the illusions a little purpl
6. created Supernova

I did this to make it look like Samus was jumping from an explosion and these ghosts were attacking her
hope you like it
woops, forgot to put 1 pixel margin, srry

HB

O and Burntsox would like to join up in your classes, hes gonna PM you but he's internet isn't worken or at least swf.

If the pic is not worken, Ill put it again

and the link
http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii65/hugglebunny64/?action=view&current=lesson1a.jpg

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Crescendolls: It's not bad, but I wouldn't stretch the render to look different, ya know? He's skinnier. :p The flow is nice, as are the colors, and nice lighting. :D I like it when people experiment with the tuts. :) I'd suggest that the render be brought out more, take out the text or bring it out more. Pick a different font though.

Omega Nintendo Dude: Just do what I told
SpeedySonicToonLucarioTrainer: Get rid of the stage in the background, we are only using one render/stock in this assignment. The gradient background is a bit plain, might I suggest finding an already set background and playing around with filters and such to make it work with your sig.

Also, I don't know how you made the border, but.... its choppy. I think you are using GIMP, if so, to make a good border, I think you select all, go up to select and click on border and you can choose your settings there. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

Effects aren't bad, very simple, I would suggest searching for some more brushes. Just search "GIMP Brushes" at Deviantart.com and see what you can find. There are a ton, download all you can! ^_^

Omega Nintendo Dude: Just search Deviantart.com like I told SpeedySonicToonLucarioTrainer to do. ;) You can find all of those resources there. Also, check the first post.... recourses are all listed. :)

hugglebunny: One thing I want you to learn, EVERYONE listen: your render is always going to be your main focus. Remember that, so don't blur or hid Samus in any way, bring her out in the open. Anything else should only accent her presence.

The flare and effects are very choppy and pixelated. The lighting is off, but the flow isn't bad. Pay attention to what is happening to your render first, pay attention to the lighting and stuff. Also, I'd suggest checking out the resources like I told those folks.^

D

Deleted member

There it is, thats for lesson 1. Procedure:
Step 1: Paste render, scale, and erase black marks.
Step 2: I duplicated the render a few times, and then moved them out so that they covered the whole thing.
Step 3: Now use filters>sound>pick, randomize, and set repeat to 20. Then get your vine brush, set spacing to 1, and smudge to try to get some flow.
Step 4: Duplicate the layer, then motion blur it with the length at around 65, and set the layer to dodge.
Step 5: Duplicate that first smudged layer, put it on top, then run Filters>gimpimpressions>mossy, and then set the layer to screen at 35.
Step 6: Drag the render layer to the top, flip it horizontally and use a soft white brush to make lighting(on a separate layer).
Step 7: And last but not least, make a new layer, behind the render layer, and use the sparks brush around the render, then use the displace filter, and change it to look cool, and then I’m done. I like it =P, my best use of smudging.

Maybe i should've made the render a bit smaller =/ Also, i tried making a border, but it phailed, i use gimp so ill look it up for next time.

Crescendolls

Smash Cadet
Crescendolls: It's not bad, but I wouldn't stretch the render to look different, ya know? He's skinnier. :p The flow is nice, as are the colors, and nice lighting. :D I like it when people experiment with the tuts. :) I'd suggest that the render be brought out more, take out the text or bring it out more. Pick a different font though.
I don't know if I stretched the render. I did resize it and flip it so he faced a different direction, and it's possible I might have stretched it slightly without noticing. The font was just a throw away, really. I was going to just put the assassin's creed logo thing. My original was a tad darker (which made the render stand out a bit more), but I think photobucket made it look lighter than I intended. Darn internet hosting. Thanks for the critique

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
burntsocks: Its not bad! I would suggest get rid of some of the light. It might be a bit too strong. :p

The blurring, blending and all that looks fabulous!! It goes well with her colors obviously. I'm not sure how I feel about the white embossed effects surrounding her,personally I'd take those out because they don't fit in very well.

There is a dark line by Samus' hand on the left side that bugs me. Not sure what that is. :p

I'd fix those things and put a simple 1 pxl border and call it good. :D

Crescendolls: Yeah it might have been. Sometimes when you resize a render it does weird stuff to it. Remember when you resize to hold the Shift key down when you click and drag the image to size it. It keeps the size/ratio the same no matter what you do to it. ;) Just a tip.

lukintosh

Smash Ace
This is why I came here. I really want to do that, just I can't figure it out with Smudging and Clipping masks. I say some assistance in anyway.:chuckle:

Needed:
Good Brushes for GIMP for Smudging/Splattering
Clipping Mask Lessons
Smudging Lessons
C4D Lessons for Sigs.:chuckle:
Stock Backgrounds and good ones lessons

[I do use Gimp. Who told you I use PS? I know how to use Gimp just some Techs for Graphics is missing.]:chuckle:
1 word for you: Cobra. XD

Clipping masks: First, copy visible.Then, you make a new layer, and use your brushes. Then go to layers, and right click the brush layer, and click alpha to selection. Now it should have selected around your brushes. Right click on one of them, and then click paste into. Move the layer around to have your selection show the part of the layer you want!

Stock BGs: Tons of stocks here and A couple for focals.

D

Deleted member

Here's the updated version of lesson 1(not sure if i was supposed to post it or not, but w/e :dizzy:) Also, in the transition of files, some annoying dots popped up =/

And here is lesson 2:
I followed this tutorial(well, sorta):http://yaaat.com/jakool/tuts/mario.png SOme of it was render specific, so i did some other stuff, added a c4d, and put a clipping mask(which is my favorite effect ever now) instead of a different effect (seemed to work better in my case). If u think i should do it again following the tutorial more precisely, then i will.

Edit: I probably will do it over, since it seems like the point of this lesson was to learn to follow tutorials well. Would u be able to assist me in a GIMP tutorial if i need help, or is there someone else (marthmaster?)?

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Here's the updated version of lesson 1(not sure if i was supposed to post it or not, but w/e :dizzy:) Also, in the transition of files, some annoying dots popped up =/
The light is still laying on Samus. The light needs to be shining ON her, not coming from her ya know? But the background redu and everything is great! Very nice! :D

And here is lesson 2:
I followed this tutorial(well, sorta):http://yaaat.com/jakool/tuts/mario.png SOme of it was render specific, so i did some other stuff, added a c4d, and put a clipping mask(which is my favorite effect ever now) instead of a different effect (seemed to work better in my case). If u think i should do it again following the tutorial more precisely, then i will.

Edit: I probably will do it over, since it seems like the point of this lesson was to learn to follow tutorials well. Would u be able to assist me in a GIMP tutorial if i need help, or is there someone else (marthmaster?)?
Well I think you understood and followed the tutorial good, just the C4D and effects on either side of Spiderman don't match in any way shape or form. Choose one or the other, I'd choose the C4D's personally. Maybe move it over so it shows up on the right side as well.

The shape of the clipping masks are weird, I'd stick to simple circles like the tut suggests. Other than those small things, not bad. :)

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
^^ Happy to be studying under you, Sugar.

Assignment #1:

1. Opened up a new file, 367 x 113, made 5 layers. Pasted the render on the second layer and rezised it to fit.
2. I copied the render from the second layer and put it on the third layer, then smudged the second layer one's blackness, and set it to 99% opacity! Then I began erasing the black around the third layer's...
3. Then I used a series of Sparkle Brushes on layer 4, which I moved under the renders. I filled in layer one with black. I used a few sparkle brushes on layer 5, and then set it to Color Dodge.
4. Then I made a layer 6 and put a few bits of Galaxy brushes actually. Created a Layer 7 in between the two render layers and added a little bit of Galaxy brushes.
5. then I saved it as a PNG file and then opened up the PNG file so I could use a stroke on it to give it a border.

Assignment #2:

I used the first tutorial you have posted, the splash-effect one. Turned out niice. =D

Ugh...... xD I tried doing the "Advanced signature" one... it sucks. xD

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wow... I've been so busy I forgot my poor homeroom. :(

Maraphy, NICE work, on both. My suggestions for the first one is that its too orange. Play around with some colors, maybe add a B&W gradient to it. (if you don't know how, look at my previous posts and you'll find a simple tut on how.)

The second one is too white, but its actually ok that way. I love the effects around and on her.... so cute.

The third one, its ok, but its very pixalated... not sure if you did that on purpose or not. The render was moved somehow and he's not proportionate, maybe fix that. The colors and whites in the background don't make any sense, and the text just doesn't work. Notice the flow of the sig is downward, your text just distracts from that. Either take it out or change the direction it goes.

Make those small adjustments and you should be good. ;)

NEW ASSIGNMENT!!!!!!!!!
I want you to visit these sites:
stock.xchng
Cobra's Resource Photobucket
GFXsource.com stocks/photos
Team-Huggles-Stocks' Photobucket
cP-AnG3L's Photobucket

Look around, collect many things into your sig library, make a folder or something.

You have to have a stock and a C4D. (Note: A stock is different then a render. Renders are cut out, stocks have backgrounds with them.)

You have to use both of these in your assignment, make it 400 x 150. You have complete freedom on this assignment, use any combination of C4D and stock you would like. You can even add simple effects such as clipping masks, gradients, soft brush lighting, etc.

You don't have to use a tutorial for the whole sig, but many of you don't know how to use a C4D at all, so this tutorial will show you (courtesy of Marthmaster92).

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Yeah... I'm not even gonna bother fixing the Spiderman one Sugar, so it's ok xD

SgtWikez

Smash Journeyman
Woot new assignment!

I tried out two sigs this go around using the same method for each. No tuts, just freestylin' :grin:.

Steps:

1. Fill with black.
2. Add stock, erase parts if necessary.
3. Add first C4D, rotate (if needed), scale (if needed), set to Screen, move around, erase parts.
4. Add another C4D, same deal.
5. Add another C4D, set to screen, distort ripple, drop shadow.
6. Add same C4D as step 5, overlay, opacity 80%.
7. Another C4D, erase a bunch of it, leave only some parts to overlap the character. leave as normal.
8. Add a photo filter (choose a color).
9. Add a gradient map with colors that match the rest of the sig/C4Ds, set to soft light, opacity 33%.
10. Fool around with the pentool. Stay with the flow/color scheme.
11. More photo filters and gradient maps all at 20% soft light.
12. Use a 200% white soft brush to add lighting. set to soft light 80%.
13. Add black and white gradient map, soft light 100%.
14. Add a color balance, mess around until reaching desired colors.
15. Add an apply image layer.
16. Add more soft brush lighting.
17. Add border and text (rotate, erase, etc.)

The results:

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
^Holy hotness.... wow... Those turned out SOOO good!! The text actually fits with the first one! I love the lines and the effects happening behind him. The overall flow is just perfect and the lighting is amazing. I have nothing bad to say about this one. A+!!!

The second one, I think could have a different text, maybe one without the pointy edges. The all green is a nice touch, love the lines again, although, the white ones are kind of random. Either take them out and add more C4D type lines or make the lines green. Excellent work!

I need to make one for this assignment as well. ;)

SgtWikez

Smash Journeyman
Much appreciated, SP.

I'm going to edit the Bourne sig right now and I'll post the results in a bit.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
sp i will complete assignments 2 and 3 tomorow if i get the chance and i will try to fix assignment one. I got over 100 new brushes and my sigs are really starting to turn out nice now. I also looked at a few tutorials.
Good I'm so glad! Teaching yourself is very important, I'm glad you worked on improving. I can't wait to see them. :D :D

SgtWikez

Smash Journeyman
VERY nice. Text is mucho better. Nice job! ^_^

Here's one I just finished using a similar style and method to my Colossus and Bourne sigs:

If fellow students have any particular questions, I'd be more than happy to share what I've learned. I think it will be great if we all contribute to helping each other progress by asking questions, giving helpful tips, and sharing valuable resources (cool C4Ds, brushes, etc.) as we come across them.

SgtWikez

Smash Journeyman
Hehe thanks SP, though it feels like I've just started! I love doing these assignments so maybe I could stick around, do each assignment with the rest of class, and offer some CnC as well.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Sugar, what brushes would you suggest I download for lines and arrows and whatnot? I think I'm lacking them.

Also, I don't really get what you mean by the third assignment. What are we taking from the sites?

SgtWikez

Smash Journeyman
Hey Maraphy, here's some I'd suggest:

http://ihea.deviantart.com/gallery/#BRUSHES

http://dreamon72.deviantart.com/art/Dreamon-Shape-Brushes-31563114

http://ariel-g.deviantart.com/art/BrushPack01-31034197

http://paulw.deviantart.com/art/187-ABSTRACT-VECTOR-FOR-PS7-19622688

Pick out the ones you like best. deviantart is an excellent brush resource.

As for the third assignment, you are picking out a stock and a C4D to use in your sig. A stock is basically just a picture with a background. For example, if you take a look at my Bourne sig posted above, you can see the city street behind him. That was part of the original photo.

A C4D, if you are not familiar with it, is an abstract 3D image made using a program called Cinema 4D. Check out Marthmaster's tutorial for how to use one and you can see how a finished product looks with integrated C4Ds in my Yuna sig (the pink stuff and the stuff in the background).

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I know what a stock and a C4D is, it is just I was confused because you said "Take three times from each site" <_<

And thank you STG

Edit: Is this good?

I picked some Final Fantasy stock from the photobucket resource... I have no idea what it is but it was the only thing I liked. Did I use the C4D right?

SgtWikez

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure it's so you have a collection to choose from. You never know when you might need a particular image so gather up as many as you can whenever you can.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Oh, I edited my post, sorry. (I didn't think anyone posted but there's an 11th page now xD)

Random FF image I found because I didn't like anything else. Did I put in the C4D right?

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oh, I edited my post, sorry. (I didn't think anyone posted but there's an 11th page now xD)

Random FF image I found because I didn't like anything else. Did I put in the C4D right?
Wow, that is extremely hot. The effects are beautiful and it adds to the flow. The colors are soft, and fit so well with the render. I think there might be a little bit too much white in there, maybe use more colors from the render.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Actually, the stock was mostly white, so I tried putting emphasis on that to give it a more "graceful", "holy" feel sort of

PinkPwnageFrenzy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PinkPwnageFrenzy
Dang, I've been uber busy, haven't even done the first assignment. >_<

Well, NO JOHNS *gets to work*

lukintosh

Smash Ace
I know what a stock and a C4D is, it is just I was confused because you said "Take three times from each site" <_<

And thank you STG

Edit: Is this good?

I picked some Final Fantasy stock from the photobucket resource... I have no idea what it is but it was the only thing I liked. Did I use the C4D right?
Quite bright but it still owns.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
Yuck... I greatly dislike real-life stocks in all ways possible.

Is it ok that I skip this assignment?

Edit: I see now that there are some VG ones too, but none I like...

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349

Yeah, I had trouble finding one I liked too... my advice would be to not worry about a certain character or series you like (You won't find one) and just browse and pick something that catches your eye. ;D

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer

Using stocks is a very useful technique that everyone should learn. Just try it. ;) I admit its not my favorite style either, but its good to learn.

Top Bottom