• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I think Bison's original form from SF Alpha was the strongest villain, and got weaker and weaker each time he came back. Gill is very strong, and Seth is more annoying than he is good.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I think it's like SF3 Akuma-Gill-Oro-SFA3 Bison in a fourway tie at the top, with Gouken just a little bit below all of them.

Bison, during SF4 is like at 50-60% power or something, so he probably wouldn't be as powerful as Gill by the time the SF3 tournament comes.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Shouldn't Gen be up there as well?

And I don't by that Akuma is stronger than Gouken. Isn't their record 1-1 since Gouken beat Akuma before the Start of SF1.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Is there a relative difference between SF3 Akuma and SF4 Akuma other than ''he is a higher tier'' tiers shouldn't play a part in this discussion. Because by SF3 that would mean Chun-li was the strongest person alive.

Also capcom announced that everything which happened in the Alpha series is not a part of the Street Fighter Canon, so I have to ask if we should be factoring the Alpha series into this.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
Is there a relative difference between SF3 Akuma and SF4 Akuma other than ''he is a higher tier'' tiers shouldn't play a part in this discussion. Because by SF3 that would mean Chun-li was the strongest person alive.

Also capcom announced that everything which happened in the Alpha series is not a part of the Street Fighter Canon, so I have to ask if we should be factoring the Alpha series into this.
Where'd they announce that? That would mean that several events and characters would have to be discounted. I doubt Capcom would do that (especially with how many Alpha based characters appear in SFIV/SSFIV).

Technically, the only character who seems to make a direct reference to winning the tourney is Makoto. Don't know if she won though.

kr3wman

Smash Master

No she wouldn't be.

If you have a statement saying Alpha 2 and Alpha 3 isn't canon then you need a source.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I read it on game faqs and on a Street Fighter story guide. I'll post a link to it when I'm feeling less lazy.

Does anyone have a bracket image for SSF4 at Evo 2010. I need to know who some of my favorite players lost to.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
game faqs
>_>

Wouldn't be so quick to take every word from their as fact. Especially with the fact that discounting SFA from the main continuity discounts ALOT of stuff in SFIV/SSFIV. I know the SF plot is full of holes in general, but that's a REALLY big hole if it's true.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think it's more like this:

SFA was replaced by SFA2 in the timeline as Alpha was mostly an unfinished 2. Both 2 and 3 feature endings that contradict other endings Therefore, some endings must be noncanon, but others are still canon.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I think it's more like this:

SFA was replaced by SFA2 in the timeline as Alpha was mostly an unfinished 2. Both 2 and 3 feature endings that contradict other endings Therefore, some endings must be noncanon, but others are still canon.
I know about that. But merkuri was saying "Alpha series" instead of just Alpha 1 or the various contradictory endings in Alpha 2/3.

Missing Person

Smash Apprentice
A lot of the gimmicks that Akuma is known for were kind of bogged down by the parry system. With FA in SF4, there's a limit to what you can do against Akuma, in SF3, the limit is your application of parries. So air fireballs, his ability to go for knockdowns, mixups, and resets, and his ability to play a zoning game (which wasn't very applicable in SF3) detracted from his chance at being high tier in SF3.

That's just off the top of my head seeing Akuma in both game. That's not taking into account startup/recovery frame differences, move priorities and properties in both games, and various other super technical aspects of both characters, since I didn't play Akuma in SF3, and barely do in 4. But there are definitely reasons behinds the tiers between games, and reasons why Akuma fluctuated from being broken in SSF2, mid-tier in SF3, and higher tier in SF4.

kr3wman

Smash Master
I wish Sakura was a good character in SF4, she's fun.

instead you got like 6 shotos way better than her lol.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
I was watching some replays of Uryo's Sakura in SSF4. He makes her seem really good.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Okay, so I think I've gotten every combination of "Perfect" in this game:
I've had a perfect round and won the match.
I've had a perfect round and lost the match.
I've lost the first round, and gotten a perfect the second round .
I've double perfected someone, and been double perfected (I've even been triple perfected across two matches).
I've lost the first round, and won the next two rounds by perfect.
I've gotten a perfect the first round, lost the second round, and gotten a perfect the third round.

Is there anything else?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Yun and Yang are basically confirmed. The pick with the skateboard and skates are confimed to be real.

whoo hoo. >_>

needs more urien/sean/hugo

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I really hope that 6 character rumour is in the final build, all the talk of Elena, Alex, Rolento, etc. all just barely being cut from the game got me hyped :p

Yun is cool but I hate Yang

Still I would love to see even more original distinct characters, when you see them you know they were from the SF IV series.

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
i'm somewhat new to the SF franchise (even though i played SF on my SNES when i was a kid haha). I was wondering, how do I get started playing competitively? I want to play Super street fighter IV. I think competitive players play with those arcade-like controllers right?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Not all competitive players do. Two of the top 8 finishers at Evo this year used a regular PS3 controller. You should use whichever controller is most comfortable for you.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
i'm somewhat new to the SF franchise (even though i played SF on my SNES when i was a kid haha). I was wondering, how do I get started playing competitively? I want to play Super street fighter IV. I think competitive players play with those arcade-like controllers right?
Well, for starters, you can check here:

http://shoryuken.com/forum/

The bottom of this forum has a regional zone like we do. Other than that, I would concentrate of getting your BnB (Bread and Butter combos) down for your character along with learning how to play footsies and space properly. All at the same time, keep an eye on what your opponent does.

As Jam Stunna said, you don't need to get an arcade stick, but I use one myself. It depends on preference, but I would definitely not use the 360 controller.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
lmao yeah, 64 bucks for that controller >_> ouch.

@Glow
Just mess around with the game, find a character you like and just go to shoryuken.com to learn things about him/her/it. It's really good to know your spacing for the character, what normals are good, and what to AA with. I would say either post here if you want help with something specific, because ppl on srk really like to just say "SEEEEEEARCH BAAAAAR" When certain threads are not organized at ALL and you have to use the search bar to look through months of random posts, which annoys me, so that's just my opinion I guess. SF4 is definitely real fun though and it's relatively easy to pick up.

About the whole arcade stick , just learn the game first, and you if you really start enjoying it, then maybe decide on whether or not you want to buy a stick. You don't wanna go and spend like 100 on a stick, that you'll never use.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
It irks me to no end that people think the 360 controller is bad because the d-pad is bad. THE ANALOGUE STICK IS WHAT MAKES IT SO GOOD.

Also, a lot of people on SRK are douchebags and the site is very unorganized compared to SWF. You may have a difficult time getting the info you want.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I think it's really just because the SF community is so large that there's so many douchebags.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
the mad catz fight pad works good
its not really that the d pad on the xbox is ****ty ( well.. yeah it is ) but rather its the placement of the d pad . d pads at the bottom of the controller are always ****ty. if they had a controller where the d pad was up and a littile more to the left then it would be all good

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
It irks me to no end that people think the 360 controller is bad because the d-pad is bad. THE ANALOGUE STICK IS WHAT MAKES IT SO GOOD.

Also, a lot of people on SRK are douchebags and the site is very unorganized compared to SWF. You may have a difficult time getting the info you want.
That's every community the smash community is no different.

But yeah the forums on SRK could use on overhaul.

Top Bottom