• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Street Fighter IV *Super, AE and Ver.2012*

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Why the **** don't I ever understand option selects? Whatever, I'll get it. There was stuff in Melee I didn't understand either, but I got passed it.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I miss using Raida a lot when I'm using Ibuki in Super. Raida just looked so cool.
Neck breaker looks cool too, but I dunno.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why the **** don't I ever understand option selects? Whatever, I'll get it. There was stuff in Melee I didn't understand either, but I got passed it.
What don't you quite understand?

I'm going to watch this more into depth later after classes tomorrow. I'll figure out how to incorporate this into my El Fuerte game. I also played a bit of Ibuki today. She might work once I get over her Tekken combos. One of the combos though is giving me trouble. It's:

(in air) HP+forward MK

I can't get the timing right in the trials.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
All right then. I'll try that. The directions made me think only the HP was in the air. I couldn't see how her overhead combo.

You have any advice for an Inewbie like me? As you know, I already play Fuerte and I have some Viper experience (so High Jumps are no stranger). Also, since my stick's pretty much crap right now, I can't really hope to do most of the techniques, but I might be wrong.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
All right then. I'll try that. The directions made me think only the HP was in the air. I couldn't see how her overhead combo.

You have any advice for an Inewbie like me? As you know, I already play Fuerte and I have some Viper experience (so High Jumps are no stranger). Also, since my stick's pretty much crap right now, I can't really hope to do most of the techniques, but I might be wrong.
I'm still pretty new to SSFIV's Ibuki still. But since you've played Viper, at least you have a good idea on SJCing moves.
Some things to note about Ibuki are:

Back MP, Crouching HP, and Standing HK are good anti airs.
Her DP isn't good on wake up. EX DP's a bit faster. EX launches you forward though, which is bad if you get crossed up by them.
A good poke is crouching MP. It's special cancelable so I follow it up into neck breaker.
Best way to do damage is do go into her BnB from a link. Just practice those links in her trials.

Another good thing to note is how fast her focus attack charges. Level 2 is charged very quickly.
And don't be afraid to pick different Ultras for different matchups. Both are good in their own ways.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I love how I was using option selects without even knowing about them.

Mostly for buffering an Ultra while blocking...but still.

I'm adding all PSNs posted here. I think I've still got you Jam.

Edit: Actually, that's probably not option selecting is it? lol. *watches video again*

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm still pretty new to SSFIV's Ibuki still. But since you've played Viper, at least you have a good idea on SJCing moves.
Some things to note about Ibuki are:

Back MP, Crouching HP, and Standing HK are good anti airs.
Her DP isn't good on wake up. EX DP's a bit faster. EX launches you forward though, which is bad if you get crossed up by them.
A good poke is crouching MP. It's special cancelable so I follow it up into neck breaker.
Best way to do damage is do go into her BnB from a link. Just practice those links in her trials.

Another good thing to note is how fast her focus attack charges. Level 2 is charged very quickly.
And don't be afraid to pick different Ultras for different matchups. Both are good in their own ways.
Goddammit. I really hate these. Everyone just says practice these, but that doesn't really tell me enough on how to do this. Then it gets worse that the timing's different for each character.
Would a target combo suffice since I get the hit confirm through easier means?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Goddammit. I really hate these. Everyone just says practice these, but that doesn't really tell me enough on how to do this. Then it gets worse that the timing's different for each character.
Other than maybe Blanka, you should be able to throw out 2 crouching LP, so that isn't too bad of a hit confirm. After crouching jab, just do standing jab and then the hard part's done. In 3S, I used to start some of my BnBs with a air target combo. I don't do that too often now. Eating a DP can't easily put Ibuki into a bad situation. I find my self getting a BnB out by either crossing up the opponent with a kunai on wake up (that vortex thing she has after a neck breaker), crossing them up with MK, or hitting them with her forward MK overhead. I don't recommend the last one since it's really slow...

To be honest, I haven't incorporated any links yet. I still have to get used to them more.
But seeing videos of Ibuki hit confirming from links, she can be pretty deadly.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Other than maybe Blanka, you should be able to throw out 2 crouching LP, so that isn't too bad of a hit confirm. After crouching jab, just do standing jab and then the hard part's done. In 3S, I used to start some of my BnBs with a air target combo. I don't do that too often now. Eating a DP can't easily put Ibuki into a bad situation. I find my self getting a BnB out by either crossing up the opponent with a kunai on wake up (that vortex thing she has after a neck breaker), crossing them up with MK, or hitting them with her forward MK overhead. I don't recommend the last one since it's really slow...

To be honest, I haven't incorporated any links yet. I still have to get used to them more.
But seeing videos of Ibuki hit confirming from links, she can be pretty deadly.
I can link the same attack over and over no problem, it's just the stuff in the trials is down right frustrating. For example, doing s.LP into s.MP with Viper is tough to do because I can't ever seem to do it consistently.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Most of Ibuki's BnBs are target combos into Neckbreaker anyway so don't sweat it too much.

Eating a DP can't easily put Ibuki into a bad situation.
umm...

I can link the same attack over and over no problem, it's just the stuff in the trials is down right frustrating. For example, doing s.LP into s.MP with Viper is tough to do because I can't ever seem to do it consistently.
Are you using a stick or a pad? If stick, try just using a piano style button pressing thing.

Also, @ Raida, the general consensus among Ibuki players right now is that it's good in the corner after a Tsumugi. Other than that it doesn't have much use.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Are you using a stick or a pad? If stick, try just using a piano style button pressing thing.

Also, @ Raida, the general consensus among Ibuki players right now is that it's good in the corner after a Tsumugi. Other than that it doesn't have much use.
Currently, as I said earlier, I'm using a 360 controller until I can get myself a new stick since my current has its joystick messed up. And no, something's wrong with the machine itself, not the part. I replaced it and it did work for a little while. With that in mind, I just intend on learning the combos (not necessarily pulling them off) and learning matchups up with her and the new ones for El Fuerte.

One thing I did notice though for Ibuki's Kazegiri is that a well timed one can act as an anti-crossup.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Can you (or anyone for that matter) help me out on getting past El Fuertre's moves?
I've never really faced him, and if I do, I have no clue on how to get around El Fuerte's specials.

Octave

Smash Ace
For somebody completely new to the competitive scene, who would you all recommend I start with in SSFIV? I would rather not use Ryu, too.

And are all of the characters unlocked from the start?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Use Dan. He has all the tools of Ryu, but you won't fall back to relying on them since Dan is horrible. You'll learn how to shoryuken, you'll learn how to space fireballs, how to pressure with knees, when to focus attack, when not to jump, and what each charecters weakness is as its the only way you can win.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
For somebody completely new to the competitive scene, who would you all recommend I start with in SSFIV? I would rather not use Ryu, too.

And are all of the characters unlocked from the start?
If not Ryu, try Ken, Sagat, Akuma, Gouken, etc.

If not any of the shoto characters, try Cody. He seems to be a pretty decent choice for beginners right now.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can you (or anyone for that matter) help me out on getting past El Fuertre's moves?
I've never really faced him, and if I do, I have no clue on how to get around El Fuerte's specials.
From what I can tell you without looking up on SRK for possibly more info:

1. NEVER do a whiffed DP attack.
- The El Fuerte that you're fighting may be able to pull off the lethal RSF. This is one of the places where he can either Focus into it, or do it raw.
2. Go into training mode and set a recording of him doing cl.FP.
- So you can see which moves are safe on block against that, thereby preventing the RSF.
3. Tostada Press must be blocked high, Fajita Buster and Tortilla Propeller can be blocked low.
- Also, Tostada Press can be Focused, but the other two can kill a Focus Attack easily.
4. His fwd.MK is his overhead and arguably one of the best.
5. Don't do a jump on wakeup if you can avoid it.
- El Fuerte's Guacamole Slew anti-air got buffed significantly so it's dangerous.
6. El Fuerte Ultra Spark's startup is only three frames and cannot be blocked.
- Like number 2, go into training mode to see which are safe, but jump instead of blocking.
7. El Fuerte Flying Giga Buster is harder to land on characters that can change their air momentum.
- This means moves like Viper's Burning Kick and the Shoto Tatsu which can be activated in the air. If you feel he's going to do it while you're in the air, counter with this, but there is a risk as he may be anticipating it.
8. s.HK, the drop kick, is a Focus Killer and the second hit acts as an overhead.
- Outside of a Focus Attack, this attack will only hit once. The first/second hit, depending on which inflicts damage, will be whiffed.
9. El Fuerte can do his Tostada Press and Fajita Buster off a wall jump.
- This, however, can be countered with any DP.
10. EX Habanero Dash has two hits of armor.

Finally, the job of any El Fuerte player is to annoy the other player to hell and back.

As for beginner characters, it's best to find which character suits you best. I went with Chun-Li first because of her Hyakuretsukyaku/Lightning Kicks attack. I hear Adon, though, is beginner friendly.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Thanks. I guess I'll go do Fuerte's trials so I can understand the properties of his moves and combos better. As for now, I'm switching back to my other main, Ryu, so I can learn matchups without struggling for right now against some of the newer characters. Man, Ryu's so dumb in this game. He's so easy to use. His Ultra's just ridiculously easy to set up.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Minato, do you really play SSF4 all day, or do you just leave your PS3 on?
I leave it on if I want to also play it at night. My PS3 has a problem with freezing. Although, if it doesn't freeze within several minutes on start up, it seems to be good for the duration for when it's on for some reason. :ohwell:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If he teleports right behind you, get ready to counter with a Criminal Upper. I don't know if this will work, but try it first with an LP one.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
This game's getting frustrating for me. I miss Super Turbo.
I keep making wrong decisions and I need to find out how to get past certain things.

Ono is right. This really is like chess.
I feel like Sagat's shooting high and low Rooks and using his Bishop as his anti airs. :(

EDIT: And no, I'm not having huge difficulties with Sagat. It's just an analogy...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Care to expand on that? What's frustrating for me is that I keep doing a back jmp while trying to do El Fuerte Ultra Spark.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
A Street Fighter Chess set would actually be really interesting.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Care to expand on that? What's frustrating for me is that I keep doing a back jmp while trying to do El Fuerte Ultra Spark.
I just find it hard to play Ibuki as the rush down and footsie character she is. I'm probably just playing her wrong though. I'm getting annoyed with good Ryu's. Shotos should be easy for her, but I still find facing Ryu quite a task. Getting in on him is hard without EX meter. All of Ryu's crouching normals seem to beat Ibuki's. I'm pretty sure that I'm being out-prioritize since I've thrown moves out before him and I still get hit. So getting in pokes is still quite hard.

Approaching in the air is definitely bad. DP to Super takes out half of her life. Ryu's ultra takes out a ton as well. I end up getting hit by this when Ryu hit confirms a jab...
And I find it boring to just build meter and wait until Ryu does something dumb (but I do this anyway, obviously. It's free damage).

I've just been having bad luck in Super today, is all. Once there's more info on SRK on Ibuki's potential, I'm sure I'll have an easier time then I'm having right now.

At least I don't have huge issues with Adon anymore. Dudley's becoming a concern for me though...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Have you been using her kunais? Those, from what I've noticed are a good counter against projectiles. Just position yourself right. IIRC, her kunais have significant stun so maybe try dashing in and get into one of her target combos after a successful hit.

Other than that, try to Focus on reaction on crouching normals, but that applies to most characters anyway.

I noticed with Adon that if you can predict what he's going to do, kunais are his weakness. I've yet to see how reliable Ibuki's anti-air normals are against Jaguar Tooth.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
The Cody vs Dhalsim matchup is hard. I can't get in on that campy, teleporting, b****.
LOL Really it isn't. If you rush him down you'll dizzy him for FREEE. When Cody's close to Sim Sim gets *****. When he uses his stretchy arms just trade with the zonk knuckle and rush him the **** down. The first time a played a good Sim he ***** me the first round, then I started destroying him.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Have you been using her kunais? Those, from what I've noticed are a good counter against projectiles. Just position yourself right. IIRC, her kunais have significant stun so maybe try dashing in and get into one of her target combos after a successful hit.
Yeah, I always throw Kunais. I just need to be careful if they somehow get past them. I'm using the jump/flip move that Ibuki does in the air more so I can launch a kunai from there at certain situations. It sometimes helps since they think that you're jumping right towards them.
I noticed with Adon that if you can predict what he's going to do, kunais are his weakness. I've yet to see how reliable Ibuki's anti-air normals are against Jaguar Tooth.
I've been getting past this slowly. Back MP is a good anti air that can beat it sometimes. Be careful though, since if you're hugging the wall when he does Jaguar Tooth, back MP's hitbox won't hit Adon. I'm too slow to react with Ibuki's crouching HP, so I haven't tested that much. When I have the chance, I might try standing HK. That seems like it should beat it.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Have you been using her kunais? Those, from what I've noticed are a good counter against projectiles.
They don't cancel out fireballs if that's what you mean. Kunai have crap priority and most characters can actually jab them out of the air. The only way to use Kunai against fireballs is like Minato said - use Tsuijigoe to go over the fireballs and throw out a kunai afterwards to build meter.

Minato, for avoiding fireballs you should be able to just use HP Neck Breaker or her slide to go under them. Her f.HK should be able to go over low moves like Tiger Shots or Juri's low fireballs but I haven't tested it. If you are ahead you could do the lame run time and build meter with kunai thing, but that's hella boring so you should just do something else. Ibuki's Focus Attack is decent to so you can even use that.

What I have more trouble with is actually characters with good reversals on wakeup like shoto uppercuts, Criminal Upper, Dudley's DP, etc. I've seen this as a decent option select that I plan on practicing when I actually, you know, get the game (still don't have it, finals johns).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdOuMNwfU0Y
He only tests it on EX Spinning Bird, but the principle is generally the same.

But honestly, if you like Super Turbo you should play a character from Super Turbo. I don't mean to be rude, but that's basically what it comes down do. Play who you're comfortable with, don't force yourself to play a character who doesn't fit your style.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
They don't cancel out fireballs if that's what you mean. Kunai have crap priority and most characters can actually jab them out of the air. The only way to use Kunai against fireballs is like Minato said - use Tsuijigoe to go over the fireballs and throw out a kunai afterwards to build meter.
I didn't mean it that way. I meant hit the opponent with a kunai. That detail about them being jab countered though is great to know.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Oh. Yeah, I guess you could try to hit them while they're in the recovery animation of the projectiles with longer recovery times. Generally though it probably won't work.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Minato, for avoiding fireballs you should be able to just use HP Neck Breaker or her slide to go under them. Her f.HK should be able to go over low moves like Tiger Shots or Juri's low fireballs but I haven't tested it. If you are ahead you could do the lame run time and build meter with kunai thing, but that's hella boring so you should just do something else. Ibuki's Focus Attack is decent to so you can even use that.
Only EX Neck Breaker has invincibility frames. But you probably meant that. As for sliding under them with down forward MK, I do that. It's a good way to get under fireballs. The huge problem is, that you have to space it so the move doesn't hit them. There are a lot of recovery frames so Ibuki can be combo'd after the hitstun wears off I think.

And her move that goes over is actually forward MK. I don't use it against Sagat since when you're guessing, it seems like the odds aren't in your favor. But I do use it against other projectile characters and it is useful. Luckily I can combo off of it afterwards. Only downside is that it's not the best overhead for catching them off guard since it's slow. I can live with that though.

And yeah, her FA is really nice. Good range and it charges to level 2 very quickly.
I should try to incorporate this more actually.

EDIT: Wow, I didn't realize what you meant on f. HK. I don't know why. lol
I might test that out and see if it works and on which moves.

But honestly, if you like Super Turbo you should play a character from Super Turbo. I don't mean to be rude, but that's basically what it comes down do. Play who you're comfortable with, don't force yourself to play a character who doesn't fit your style.
No offense taken. I use Ryu on the side in SSFIV along with Guile as I do in Super Turbo.
I just mentioned that since I'm used to the frames or properties whatever Super Turbo more.

I also played a really good Cody yesterday. First Cody that didn't use Criminal Upper as his anti air of choice, which is good.

And as a change of plan, I'm going to try to not waste EX meter as I usually do.
Her Super does a lot of damage and is great whenever the opponent whiffs something.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I'm finding it really difficult to do Ultra Spark on the 360 controller. There are times that I do it that I end up jumping over the fence. Once you have to go back to this controller for whatever reason, you see why it was good thing to abandon it.
Heard your joystick became unresponsive recently, still not fixed?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I can't really do anything to fix it for the time being as I'm at college. At the earliest, I can't work on trying to fix it for another two weeks once finals are over.

I'm seriously considering just purchasing one of the new sticks instead.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I just got SJCing into Ultra II pretty much down now.
No more screw ups (hopefully). I've also been messing around with Ultra I as well.

I'm loving Ibuki still. I just need to learn how to deal with matchups so I don't get *****.
Ibuki's looking pretty solid right now. I hope she stays that way.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Grapplers are pretty much a nightmare for me with Ibuki. Outside of her, I'm fairly confident with El Fuerte.

Top Bottom