• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Stratocaster's Hitbox System - New Download Link!

Morin0

Smash Lord
No. Last I heard it's not a double post if the posts are 24hrs apart and in this case, it's more than 24hrs apart and it's also a legit bump. There's no technicality here :mad:

And yes, I knew you were. :awesome:

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
There's no real time limit that you have to wait for so you can double post.

Unfortunately it kinda depends on the content of the post and the thread itself. Typically though if you waited a while though yea its fine. At worst I can just merge the posts or something if you put some kind of note in your post or something.

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
Yo, the "DOWNLOAD" link in the OP doesn't seem to be linking me to the right page anymore. It's still taking me to Mediafire, but not to the page with the frame images (or with anything, for that matter).

Zinth

Smash Apprentice
I'm also thinking that's what happened. Could we get an updated link at some point? Or are there other ways of navigating to the folder?

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Hey all! I have some updates for you all.

First, sorry that the download link has been down. I even have known this for a little while but haven't fixed it. I really need to finish a couple things in the project, but I am a little short on time, not to mention motivation. I'll make you all a deal though. If you help by me by donating to evo today and posting in this thread, then I will finish every move and have the downloads available in the next week. That may or may not be motivation for you, but if it will convince 10 more people, then it's worth it.

There is some more exciting news though! Someone has been working on a program that makes use of the hitboxes and can manipulate them to show which are bigger and such. I can't make any promises on the finish date since I'm only helping him with it, but it should be done this year at least! Stay tuned for that because it is going to be AWESOME.

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I'm not sure if anyone checks this thread anymore, but is there any way to find Master Hand's animations, with or without the hitboxes?

Kadano

Magical Express
Hey, I'm not sure if anyone checks this thread anymore, but is there any way to find Master Hand's animations, with or without the hitboxes?
Yes. Do you want all of them? I can do them in a few days.

@standardtoaster: Sure. Develop mode stays on even if you leave debug menu.

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
Yes. Do you want all of them? I can do them in a few days.

@standardtoaster: Sure. Develop mode stays on even if you leave debug menu.
Yeah, all of them would be nice. I would love you.

(sorry for the late reply, computer's been broken)

DRGN

Technowizard
Is there any way you could do them to the scale that Stratocaster has been using, and in a lossless format like png? That would be fantastic!

If not, then perhaps at least with his common resolution of 320x230 (and png)? Thought the former is certainly preferable.

Emma Chen

Smash Rookie
I could try reuploading it but I don't see how that would help... so you just downloaded it and tried to unzip it and it said that

Kadano

Magical Express
I don’t think this will ever happen. Nowadays it’s so easy to pick up Dolphin, an SSBM iso and cruise through debug mode that re-programming most of Melee’s environment is quite the obsolete task.

I think I’ll do moveset videos to include hitbox information and all that nice stuff. This time also with animations like Ottotto, CrouchWait and all these things usually left out.

tm

Smash Ace
I'd like to request a few additions...

The ganon hitboxes thread is missing the animations for the following:
Grab, dash grab, roll forward, roll backwards, spot dodge, attack from ledge, roll from ledge, jump from ledge , getup attack, getup roll forwards, getup roll backwards, and stand up. (and >100% equivalents)
If these could be added I'd be really happy :happysheep:

I wouldn't be surprised if other threads missed a lot of these as well. I'm sure some attacks are missing the IASA frames / autocancel frames, and other useful things could be added in general (like advantage / disadvantage of each attack on shield).

Last edited:

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Hey, sorry about those exclusions. If you look in the credits section of this thread, you'll see I did 16/26 characters myself, but the other 10 have some missing stuff. That's why the grabs and evasion moves are missing. Anyway, I poured hours among hours into this, and have sworn off doing any more, and I have school and can't edit the thread you're talking about directly to add them...

It wouldn't be a HUGE deal, but it's more work than you'd think. It's also not worth it when if you really want to see what those things look like, just look at CFalc's thread or learn to play on dolphin and find a debug mode code. Also those get-up options were not included for anyone at all, sorry but there's some reasons I didn't do them.

On the bright side, there are some people who are theoretically working on collecting all the frames again and doing it even more completely and better than I did, but they've been talking about it for awhile, and I don't know when or if that'll ever come to light.

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
(bump)

Many of the images have been broken since they used imageshack. Would it be possible for them to be uploaded elsewhere (imgur is the best, probably)? Hopefully they're still saved somewhere.

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Yeah sorry about the imageshack thing. I have no idea what I was thinking, but I don't think I knew about imgur when I first uploaded these like 4 years ago.

I learned recently that I cannot find my gifs. I thought I had them... but I have all of the source images to make the gifs. Unfortunately it'd take several hours to re-gif these... If anyone wants to volunteer to do that for me...

VoiD-

Smash Apprentice
While it would be better ultimately, it seems like it would be way more work than just putting them in a smashboards thread. Someone else could transfer them over later, but for now I think it would just be best to get them back up how they were before. I can't really help make the gifs, but maybe if you posted the source images to some upload site you could find someone who could?

(also might be nice to be able to reference those in the mean time)

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I should divulge that I'm making something for this whole frame images business. Stratocaster already knows; I just wanted to let the rest of you guys know in case someone is thinking about putting in a lot of work on something. Also I'm re-ripping all the frames for several reasons (and I mean all, including things like get-up attacks, ledge stuff, etc.).

MrSquishy

Smash guy, I guess.
I should divulge that I'm making something for this whole frame images business. Stratocaster already knows; I just wanted to let the rest of you guys know in case someone is thinking about putting in a lot of work on something. Also I'm re-ripping all the frames for several reasons (and I mean all, including things like get-up attacks, ledge stuff, etc.).

So I've been struggling trying to collect GIFs of every animation for every character (see my posts over on the Crazy Hand thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/crazy-hand-v1-22-character-editing-program.389500/page-11). My current strategy has been to use the Crazy Hand's animation swapping feature... For every single animation, I bind it to jab, then go to dolphin and record it. This is going to take me ages to finish though; will what you're working on provide a sane alternative to that?

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
So I've been struggling trying to collect GIFs of every animation for every character (see my posts over on the Crazy Hand thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/crazy-hand-v1-22-character-editing-program.389500/page-11). My current strategy has been to use the Crazy Hand's animation swapping feature... For every single animation, I bind it to jab, then go to dolphin and record it. This is going to take me ages to finish though; will what you're working on provide a sane alternative to that?
He is talking about a viewer program, not a process for ripping the content from the game. You will need to automate a bunch of stuff or it will take a very long time (from my experience). I use autohotkey (and so does DRGN), but I don't think that works for Mac and I don't know if applescripts will do.

I don't know that I understand your goal though. What do you want to do? Just look at character animations in gifs? What purpose do you have in mind that hasn't already been filled? You should consider if it's really worth your time imo.

MrSquishy

Smash guy, I guess.
He is talking about a viewer program, not a process for ripping the content from the game. You will need to automate a bunch of stuff or it will take a very long time (from my experience). I use autohotkey (and so does DRGN), but I don't think that works for Mac and I don't know if applescripts will do.

I don't know that I understand your goal though. What do you want to do? Just look at character animations in gifs? What purpose do you have in mind that hasn't already been filled? You should consider if it's really worth your time imo.
The goal is to use computer vision to analyze match videos. Basically, input game video, output table with what each character was doing in each frame (obviously there are limitations and other considerations that make it a little more complicated than that). From there reports could be built and we could start tracking pretty detailed stats.

In order to figure out what a character is doing in a given frame, we need a template for each animation to compare against. I agree that the method I've started using is going to take essentially forever, but I haven't come up with a better alternative. How were all of these awesome hitbox animations collected?

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
Most of them I used the debug frame advance in dolphin and took a screen then advanced (I also spent some time trying to make the camera as consistent as possible). I couldn't have done it without summer break and a lot of patience (though not all of it was done within the summer for sure. Then I used GIMP to edit the frames and export them as gifs. I put in a lot of hours to make that happen, but I did learn a lot about short-keys to use for renaming files, organization skills, and eventually, too little too late, I learned scripting and made a script to alternate taking frames and advancing which I could enter x frames or end the frames by holding a key and just delete the last ones if it took too much.

If you automate the screenshot taking process, you could actually get through a character in only a few hours I think. I wouldn't bother with the hacking to go through the animations, just input the commands manually on the first frame or you could make a script to even input the commands, move files, rename, etc. It's VERY time consuming if you do it by hand, but if you have time and patience it can be done. I would not recommend it, however. If you can script, you can cut the time down tremendously.

Also, you need to multiply the animations by 2, because it will look different face left or right... probably. I would do just Fox first (for example) and try analyzing Fox dittos and get that working, if that works, begin going down the list. the high tiers. I wouldn't bother going further down the list than young link because they are almost never used. If I were you I would MAKE SURE that the analysis is going to work before collecting all the data and discovering you can't do it.

MrSquishy

Smash guy, I guess.
Most of them I used the debug frame advance in dolphin and took a screen then advanced (I also spent some time trying to make the camera as consistent as possible). I couldn't have done it without summer break and a lot of patience (though not all of it was done within the summer for sure. Then I used GIMP to edit the frames and export them as gifs. I put in a lot of hours to make that happen, but I did learn a lot about short-keys to use for renaming files, organization skills, and eventually, too little too late, I learned scripting and made a script to alternate taking frames and advancing which I could enter x frames or end the frames by holding a key and just delete the last ones if it took too much.

If you automate the screenshot taking process, you could actually get through a character in only a few hours I think. I wouldn't bother with the hacking to go through the animations, just input the commands manually on the first frame or you could make a script to even input the commands, move files, rename, etc. It's VERY time consuming if you do it by hand, but if you have time and patience it can be done. I would not recommend it, however. If you can script, you can cut the time down tremendously.

Also, you need to multiply the animations by 2, because it will look different face left or right... probably. I would do just Fox first (for example) and try analyzing Fox dittos and get that working, if that works, begin going down the list. the high tiers. I wouldn't bother going further down the list than young link because they are almost never used. If I were you I would MAKE SURE that the analysis is going to work before collecting all the data and discovering you can't do it.
Thanks for the tips! Using frame advance instead of recording video ought to be a lot easier to automate, and I won't run the risk of dropping frames or anything. One other question--how do you get the images with no background/stage visible around the character?

Stratocaster

Smash Ace
https://tcrf.net/Super_Smash_Bros._Melee/Master_Debug_Menu#DBLEVEL_Controls

You should familiarize yourself with the debug menu and the controls. How to use the camera, turn off the background, etc. All the info you are looking for is there, but the short answer is press X + Down on the d-pad twice. You need to choose a stage that doesn't have crazy background effects like Battlefield or Final Destination. I used Mario's target test because it is pretty convenient to get to through the debug, has no background, plenty of space, you call fall off the right side for aerials, etc.

Frame advance is pause (no the game did no freeze) and then press 'z' to advance the frame. This is better than Dolphin's built-in frame advance which has a delay for some reason. You need to use 'R + A' then 'z' to grab.

DRGN

Technowizard
The goal is to use computer vision to analyze match videos. Basically, input game video, output table with what each character was doing in each frame (obviously there are limitations and other considerations that make it a little more complicated than that). From there reports could be built and we could start tracking pretty detailed stats.

In order to figure out what a character is doing in a given frame, we need a template for each animation to compare against. I agree that the method I've started using is going to take essentially forever, but I haven't come up with a better alternative. How were all of these awesome hitbox animations collected?
"computer vision"? So do you mean you want to take a video stream and have something identify what is happening from it? And you want to do that by comparing images (the set of frame images) to the video? I don't think you realize how difficult, complex, and processor intensive (meaning you'll need a beast machine for 60fps) such image recognition would be. It's also very inefficient. It would make much more sense to tap into the game's RAM as it's playing and monitor the game from there. You'll need to visit the Melee Workshop and start getting into ASM programming for that.

As for my own work: I think there were some small tweaks left I needed to adjust, but I automated pretty much the entire process after selecting a character in Dolphin. The scripts will collect all frames from any particular move, or any combination of multiple moves of your choice (or all moves). But for my purposes I also need to remove some graphics from certain moves, so I haven't gone through and ripped all of the frames yet. For removing the graphics, I needed to get into texture hacking. Unfortunately the old methods of texture hacking were slow and tedious, so I decided to write some new programs to make it easier and faster (for both myself and the community). I've also written a few other programs, and these tangents plus it being hard to find spare time to do all this in makes progress slow, but I'm still planning on continuing this.

Now, I think there are actually multiple projects that could benefit from a sort of API (interfaced by the game's memory) to the game's exact state. A.I. comes to mind instantly, but I've also seen mention of other projects aimed at stats tracking before that could branch off of the same sort of thing.

@ SinsOfApathy SinsOfApathy , I wonder if a thread on such a thing might be useful. Even if it were created before you were ready to really work on it, it could cook and brew some new ideas or development by others.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
@ SinsOfApathy SinsOfApathy , I wonder if a thread on such a thing might be useful. Even if it were created before you were ready to really work on it, it could cook and brew some new ideas or development by others.
Since I think I know enough about the SI devices now and have my Shuriken, I want to try to get an SI input handler working. The problem with that is that I need a way to push data into the SI channel buffer. Therefore, I'm considering writing a fork of the GeckoCodehandler, so that I can abuse manipulate controller input registers using that. I'll try to write up a post with my modified codehandler.

I can just write a TCP client to work with a Dolphin and replace the Codehandler.bin with mine, until I decide to deal with the actual hardware, and that may be what happens first. However, I want it to work on actual hardware like a verified TAS, so I'm not going to be hooking the HWND, writing keyboard inputs, or hooking Dolphin's memarena pointers. That'll also spare me the trouble of updating pointers, since I update Dolphin with just about every developer build.

It may come later than expected, since I like to have a presentable amount of work done. And right now, that's a bit hard between my 2 summer classes and research work. We'll see.

HellTyrant

Smash Cadet
Hello I see most people posting here know about hitbox data and I am wondering if any of you know whwre I can find hitbox data for all of the items in Melee including the Home-Run Bat, Hammer, Pokémon and Fan

Last edited:

kevin.wang

Smash Rookie

Hey, I came up with basically the same idea that you had, and I was going to approach it the same way (collect gifs of each animation in the game). Did you ever make any progress with this or figure out a feasible method to get each animation?

MrSquishy

Smash guy, I guess.
Hey, I came up with basically the same idea that you had, and I was going to approach it the same way (collect gifs of each animation in the game). Did you ever make any progress with this or figure out a feasible method to get each animation?
Cool, glad to hear other people are getting into this! For lack of a better option, I started collecting gifs manually and a couple hours later had fox's wait animation and marth's uptilt. So I basically abandoned that approach; it would take forever. Then a guy came along with a plan and seemingly sufficient know-how (https://www.reddit.com/r/SSBM/comments/45j9c4/meleecv_progress_report/), but he went MIA for awhile. Based on his blogspot it looks like he just recently got back into it and is probably worth coordinating with.

In the meantime I've been working on an approach to try and do it by messing with game memory via sockets. That project is still in its infancy so I have no idea if there's any chance of it working--seems like it may be overly ambitious. I'm really more interested in the data model/reporting side of things; that's where all my experience is. But working on this end of the project has been super interesting.

Seems like if there's enough of a committed group of people, then this might be worth its own Smashboards thread. I'd love to chip in but there's not much in the way of central organization right now. A dedicated thread might be able to help with that.

MrSquishy

Smash guy, I guess.
As for my own work: I think there were some small tweaks left I needed to adjust, but I automated pretty much the entire process after selecting a character in Dolphin. The scripts will collect all frames from any particular move, or any combination of multiple moves of your choice (or all moves). But for my purposes I also need to remove some graphics from certain moves, so I haven't gone through and ripped all of the frames yet. For removing the graphics, I needed to get into texture hacking. Unfortunately the old methods of texture hacking were slow and tedious, so I decided to write some new programs to make it easier and faster (for both myself and the community). I've also written a few other programs, and these tangents plus it being hard to find spare time to do all this in makes progress slow, but I'm still planning on continuing this.
Wondering what became of this. I've since come up with a few CV-related projects that require frame-by-frame PNGs of every animation. If there's grunt work to be done to collect all this stuff I'm happy to do it.

Top Bottom