• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Strategies for Fighting the Other 34 Characters

D

Deleted member

The thing is, if game and watch spaces correctly, u cant really punish his bair. Also if u try to lure out a bair every time, he'll catch on. He doesnt need to approach on the ground. His bair can kill even if its the only move he uses (not like he can do that but im just saying how it partially resets itself). His ground attacks can be laggy, but with some, they can keep going so that it almost completely gets rid of the premove lag. But alas, i cant convince u (been ***** by too many G&Ws), and u cant convince me that this matchup is in yoshi's favor. For now i guess we will agree to disagree -.-

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: That's fine. There are probably some finer points to the matchup that we're both missing.

I have a sort of history about liking bad matchups, anyway, so it may just be me. LOL. ^_^

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Gindler i disagree. Snake has a bit of an advantage imo. U need to play some better snakes, they dont just chuck nades. They will pull it out, shield, and let it cook while throwing another one. Yoshi cant win a spamming war, ull just let him set up mines and he can out camp u anyways. Yoshi's air game is quicker and grabs help alot against shield happy snakes, and i wouldnt give snake a big advantage, but i think he has a bit of an edge.
Yes. That's true. I learned that Snakes jab clanks with Yoshi's f tilt. However, Snake's ftilt outprioritizes Yoshi's jab and f tilt. It also comes out faster than almost all of Yoshi's ground attacks. Is this a matter of avoiding being in front of him on the ground? How should I go about combating Snake as Yoshi?

D

Deleted member

Yes. That's true. I learned that Snakes jab clanks with Yoshi's f tilt. However, Snake's ftilt outprioritizes Yoshi's jab and f tilt. It also comes out faster than almost all of Yoshi's ground attacks. Is this a matter of avoiding being in front of him on the ground? How should I go about combating Snake as Yoshi?
Well in my experience egging usually gets beats by nade chucking, maybe im just doin it wrong :dizzy: But anyways, if u have really good spacing u could space bairs on his shield and try not to get hit, but DJC egg lays and grabs are the way to go. He has good aerials but they are slow, so u want him in the air. Juggling with eggs is good but watch out for falling C4z. In general, dont attack his shield. To edgeguard, im not sure exactly. I think egg lay makes it so that he cant up b again.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I know for a fact that eggs beat grenades. Try working on that timing.

I also don't recommend using back air on Snake's shield. You're setting yourself up for a forward tilt that you won't be able to stop.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
i just hate pit. i know how to beat him, just when you face a non noob pit, the riority h has is tremendous and his recovery is just deplorable. he should be an easy match, but his prioority is just too good. any ways that i can beat one? (i know im pathetic for not being ablle to beat a pitt :( )

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i haven't played any spectacular snakes, but my one buddy is decent with him.

my strats for fighting snake:

- don't get hit with his projectiles and punish him for missing.
for instance, when he launches a rocket at you, just dodge it and get some hits in (good snake users drop the rocket after they've missed, but yoshi closes in quick in the air or on the ground). same goes when you see him setting a remote mine, run at him and attack. these are your best windows of oppurtunity. also, as a cardinal rule, do not ever try to come down on top of him unless you like the taste of mortars.

- punish the f-smash. always.

- i haven't seen this mentioned yet, but in my experience, yoshi beats snake in the air. always go after him during his recovery. just be careful when he lets go of his chopper, he can attack from it.

- if he's shield-happy, try and predict it and use grabs.

snake is rough to fight on the ground, since he has really good priority you'll have to pick your attacks carefully. egg tosses and grabs are your best friends, follow them up when you can. try to keep the fight in the air.

would u-smash be worth using? i've had success with it, but not enough to to know for sure.

biohazard930

Smash Apprentice
So, about Wolf again...

Y'all said to approach his lasers with short hop Bairs. Unless I have no idea what I'm doing, Wolf's lasers outrange short hopped Bairs and just barely underrange eggs. (And eggs take long enough to get to him such that he can just reflect at will.) And that's not to mention everytime you get hit with a laser, it turns you to the forward position, so you must take time to turn back around for a Bair approach. That gives him enough time to laser spam even more.

Are you sure that's the way to approach? I'm starting to believe there isn't a way to do so.

D

Deleted member

Ok thats what u do if u are close, but not from long range. U could hop over them, u could roll through them. Those are the two best way i know (not sure if jabs cancel them out. Wolf can be tricky, u gotta make sure u space right else ull get fsmashed. I always get frustrated trying to approach him.
Also u dont necesarily hafta approach, if ur into the waiting game. Just spotdodge them and ur fine. He can keep shooting all he wants, u can just let the clock run down a bit and then go for him, or if he gets impatiant u were successful, and u can actually fight him.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
just give him a reason not to use it. i dont know what. just formulate lag and other affects upon him or yourself tha you can take advantage of. this idea is the strategy used by anyone subconsiously. it just takes a consious effort to do other counters.

Eltrotraw

Smash Journeyman
I think part the whole outprioritizing is due to Snake's ftilt and utilt having ridiculous hitboxes.

bigman40

Smash Master
Here's what I think Yoshi does against the other characters.
Key: +(yoshi's advantage), = (we know what that means), -(yoshi at a disadvantage)
Bowser =
Captain Falcon +
Diddy =
Donkey Kong -
Falco -
Fox =
G&W -
G-Dorf +
ICs ?
Ike +
Jigglypuff +
D3 =
Kirby =
Link -
Lucario?
Lucas +
Luigi -
Mario =
Marth =(leaning -)
MK -
Ness =
Peach= (leaning a little towards -)
Pikachu -
Olimar +
Pit-
Squirtle?
Ivy ?
Charizard?
Rob =
Samus -(even match maybe?)
Shiek =
Snake -
Sonic +
Toon Link -
Wario =
Wolf -
Yoshi =P
Zelda -
ZSS =

Sharky

Smash Master
Here's what I think Yoshi does against the other characters.
Key: +(yoshi's advantage), = (we know what that means), -(yoshi at a disadvantage)
Bowser = +
Captain Falcon +
Diddy =
Donkey Kong - = (take advantage of the bigness!)
Falco -
Fox =
G&W -
G-Dorf +
ICs ? = (once separated, it's in your favor, and I don't have too much trouble separating them)
Ike +
Jigglypuff + = (nerfed, yes, but still oh so mobile in the air)
D3 = + (This is my favorite match-up. He's big, slower than you, and your projectiles beat his. On top of that, he can't chaingrab you. Run circles around him!)
Kirby =
Link -
Lucario?
Lucas +
Luigi -
Mario =
Marth =(leaning -)
MK - = (gotta work that grab game to the max)
Ness =
Peach= (leaning a little towards -)
Pikachu -
Olimar +
Pit-
Squirtle?
Ivy ?
Charizard?
Rob =
Samus -(even match maybe?)
Shiek =
Snake - = (keep the grenades away with eggs, stay away from f-tilt and you should be fine
Sonic +
Toon Link -
Wario =
Wolf -
Yoshi =P
Zelda -
ZSS =
My stuff's in blue.

bigman40

Smash Master
Hmm....you say that snake and yoshi are even....please give me more tips then because I mostly get destroyed by the boost Usmash and his nasty priority. I don't have too much trouble with the bombs.

I also, should've been more reasonable with my list, cause most of what you said is exactly what I thought. However, no one has any thoughts about PT. Has no one fought a good PT? And I actually think that yoshi can beat jiggs in the air. I don't have much trouble with them at all (maybe it's just me).

Gindler

Smash Champion
Boost Usmash (I'm guessing that means the sliding one) for that I usually pivot grab those guys so that works well.

Yeah Jiggs isn't too hard until they force you off the edge, then they just use their air maneuverability to keep you away from the stage.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Pokémon Trainer is pretty good.

Squirtle can be annoying, as is his M.O., but overall, I think Yoshi does well against all of them. Charizard is your resident "beat-em-up" matchup out of the three, but watch out for the brutal ways he has to mess up your recovery. Ivysaur's power can also be quite surprising, so try not to rush in and focus a lot on shieldgrabs and Egg Lay, which beats Ivysaur pretty handily.

D

Deleted member

Ok snake is not even. He doesnt have too many particular advantages agianst yoshi, but his character is way too good, and snake has the advantage imo. He outprioritizes u everywhere, and he can edgeguard well with usmash. MK is a disadvantage for sure, if you play meta knights who dont know how to fight a yoshi, playin super defensive with pivot grabs works, but against an mk that knows how to fight yoshi, its very tough. Id put D3 as a = and DK as a +

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I disagree that Snake's upsmash is good for edgeguarding--on Yoshi, at least.

At most, it's inconvenient and annoying, but the only part that makes it hard for Yoshi is the mortar of itself--that thing is hard to beat with any attacks. Thankfully, it's rarely strong enough to knock you out of your jump. However, the mortar fire of itself, which is how Snake nets most of his edgeguards gets beaten by every aerial you have except for down air. You just have to watch out for tilts once you cancel out the mortar fire. It's not too hard, just have to do a lot of thinking once you're coming back. If anybody's ever fought a really really good Link or Samus from Melee as Yoshi, you can approach the idea in a similar fashion.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
My most frequent match-up is Snake, since a buddy of mine mains him.

The biggest things to remember about him is that he tends to recover high, which prevents meteor smashes, and that you need to do anything possible (DI, Air-dodge, shield) to avoid taking the 3-hit neutral A combo, in particular, the third hit. Assuming you soak the hits, you've got time to run to the fridge, grab some food, come back, and punish it.

On such a range-heavy toon, it might sound silly to spam your eggs (heh, spam and eggs), but it really messes with him. If he's controlling a missile (not very commonly), it's a free hit. If he's tossing grenades, there's a good chance your egg will hit either him or the grenade in his proximity. If the latter occurs, that's like 35 damage and decent knock-back.

D

Deleted member

I think pt is in yoshis favor. Squirtle gets cged and has a lackluster recovery, allowing u to finish the matchup quick and grabbbing squirtle isnt hard due to relative lack of range and no prrojectile. He does have good aerial mobility and nice comboing, but yoshis bair wreck squirtle, and because of yoshi's odd recovery, his main method of killing (edgeguarding) goes out the window and i am usually surviving against squirtle up to average of 170%. Charizard has some nasty tilts , and getting predicted on a roll results in up to 42 damage of rock based pain. Hes a little bit laggy, so look for openings, tilt him when u have the chance, and get in ur grabs. I think charizard is the hardest due to his massive tilts and his fair. And up b gimps on u. Ivy is pretty neutral, im not completely sure what to do against ivy, but getting in her face is great cuz her game relies on spacing with bairs, leaves and grabs, but if u keep the pressure on, its easy and ivy doesnt have any quick moves to counter u. Watch for bullet seed.

Also i need help against peach and ZSS.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Good luck against Peach, hahaha. I can't think of anything Yoshi has on her.

Zero Suit may be a little different as she has trouble with you at low percents. Yoshi enters optimal combo range at 40-90%, leading up to her hardest hits taking you out at maybe 150% depending on the stage. I think one of your best bets here is to trade hits with her at low percents and then lead from those into some consecutive blows. I think this fight is mainly one of attrition and once she hits you, you're more than heavy enough to bounce back almost immediately with some nasty hits.

Just watch out for her charged downsmash when you're recovering. Not fun.

bigman40

Smash Master
Peach.......The only thing I can tell you is to be wierd in approaching. When she starts gliding, she can manuver away from your B-air and counter with that nasty F-air. Egg roll won't have much effect here nor will the DownB. The best thing I can say is that when you decide to approach is to make sure that she can't get away from your atk. So N-air or Bair (flying far from one side to the other) will be useful. You can't take being directly under her or on top either. You also might want to think about Fsmash in this fight because peaches tend to get a hit off while falling then try try to combo into a weak A combo. If I play more, I'll post more info, but this is my thoughts atm.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Oh, so a snake mainer told me recently how to gimp his recovery when he's coming up from below the stage...if you grab him and chew and let him release himself he won't get his recovery back so he'll just fall to his death with you doing your yoshi dance.

Nocher

Smash Rookie
i wonder if that works with all chars... ok so this can be a big help against snake

D

Deleted member

Works with G&W too. Problem is, if they can, good snakes will always recover high, but if u see the opportunity for the grab gimp, always do it instead of hitting them. I wonder if it works with your neutral b...

DarkLeviathan89

Smash Lord
Okay, so anyone have any strategies against Zelda? Whenever I play my friend, he seems to outprioritize me with everything. He outranges me with Din's Fire, and the blasted up smash stops me from attacking from above. Any tips?

Gindler

Smash Champion
I think zelda might be yoshi's worst matchup. My only advice is to secondary ness like a good number of yoshi players do, he seems to be the anti-zelda.

D

Deleted member

I used to think zelda was rly bad, now shes just eh. Only advice i can rly give is nair through her side b, and try and lure out smashes, since those are her main ground based moves. Autocancelled nair to jabs is always good, in this matchup i use it a ton, cuz it stops her dins fire as well as gives u a good approach.

missingnomaster

Smash Lord
I saw the matchup list on the last page, and I wonder why no one is arguing any of them on the character matchup chart thread? I would argue, but I'm sure most of you know more than me.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Because those threads are made by random-*** people that have played like three or four characters and think they know jack about everything.

To be honest, every person in the thread will argue for their character, so objectivity is pretty lacking.

Ever thought it was a coincidence how the most anticipated characters for the game (Snake and Metaknight) are considered the top two characters now? Maybe they deserve it, or maybe they're just getting a ton of play-time and attention because they're popular.

I'd give it at least a year before bothering with tier lists and "official" match-up threads.

TheFast

Smash Lord
Okay, so anyone have any strategies against Zelda? Whenever I play my friend, he seems to outprioritize me with everything. He outranges me with Din's Fire, and the blasted up smash stops me from attacking from above. Any tips?
grabs are your friend
spot dodge to an egg when they dins fire makes her have to advance if u use distance to your advantage the zelda player will think she knows what she doing and will try to dins fire if done right u can egg without getting hit by it this makes the zelda have to advance or get egged and zelda is horiable at advancing when she does use ur grabs and down tilts because when u down tilt u wont be hit buy hyphen smashes

Top Bottom