• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stos Playing Brawl

chris the brawler

Smash Ace
heh, fun to watch.
it's clear that you'r a melee player, no offense, but basicly your Link is pretty good. you need to airdodge more (LOL) and maybe use Zair a bit more, you should start DIing more, also jab cancel and such would be good. still pretty good to be a melee player :D

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Arrow followed by a grab? What were you thinking may I ask?

Random, really late, missed uair? He wasn't even above you when you used it.. he was pretty much below you

Learn the timing of your boomerang, you threw a few 'whiffs'

Less dash attack.

Grounded up-B when Pikachu is above you? - This isn't Melee son. (followed by a dash attack, go figure)

Trying to down air when Pikachu is at 62%.... and you got hit out of it... lol....

I see no zair up to this point (1:42) - I'm still watching

You "pull and throw" your bombs. Learn to use them, learn to Z drop them, airdodge > zair, mindgame them in, DACIT/Bombslide. You're just wasting time by pulling and throwing with no real attempt to hit.

I see another missed FF'd dair. - Seriously, you use dair to much already. (1:49)

LOL @ second stock. You know what you did wrong, and about time the Pikachu CG'd you.

You got a Jab Lock perfectly set up, but you ftilt instead? .... nice waste of an opportunity to KO the 'Chu

Another Dair? At least this one hit....

ANOTHER DAIR? Eh, this one killed.. over aggro Pikachu though...

You sure do get hit by thunder a lot....

Don't up-b right after being hit -- it cost you the match.

Zair edgeguard
DACUS
DACIT
Zair (at all....)
using bombs
arrow canceling
BACL
Pivot Walking/Boosting
Item-Holding Fsmash

SOMETHING...

I see no mindgames, just a lot of nair, bombs, and failed opportunities.

Not even going to comment second video, he was sandbagging pretty hard and messing around with basic Pika stuff. lol

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ alright ty.

although i have know clue 50% what your talking about.

thanks though LOL.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Havokk you're being far too condescending in this post. Either reread it and learn that he isn't a Brawl player, and therefore isn't going to be instantly aware of every tech ever, or get over yourself.

****ty attitudes are what ruin a competitve game's reputation. Take Melee for instance, the general attitude of most of the players is exactly why so many traditional fighter players find them to be scrubby, and why so few newcomers to the scene ever join up for good. Let's not repeat that for Brawl, k?

SuSa

^ alright ty.

although i have know clue 50% what your talking about.

thanks though LOL.
There is a reason we have a video guide, an advanced Link guide, and several threads here.

@dekar
"Advice and tips would be nice."

I could go through and list several options he had at every error I pointed out.

If he doesn't play Brawl, then don't ask for crit. from Brawlers. It's like posting a nooby Fox/Falco Melee video, and asking crit. from the Melee people. They'll LAUGH at you.

Telling someone they are good when they aren't only sets them up for failure. I've seen 3 people tell him he's good, when he's no better then any Brawl scrub that came from Melee. - He sucks.

Reread my post and notice the advice I give. Much better then telling him he's good, and 2-3 things he should do. I indirectly told him things he shouldn't be doing, gave him some names of things he should be learning...

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Havokk you're being far too condescending in this post. Either reread it and learn that he isn't a Brawl player, and therefore isn't going to be instantly aware of every tech ever, or get over yourself.

****ty attitudes are what ruin a competitve game's reputation. Take Melee for instance, the general attitude of most of the players is exactly why so many traditional fighter players find them to be scrubby, and why so few newcomers to the scene ever join up for good. Let's not repeat that for Brawl, k?
LOL its okay hes probably just taking it seriously.

Dekar173

Justice Man
Yes, it is good to give advice when it is being sought out, but being a **** about it is another thing. As for your comment about the Melee community doing it, it's to be expected from them, not from us.

SuSa

Yes, it is good to give advice when it is being sought out, but being a **** about it is another thing. As for your comment about the Melee community doing it, it's to be expected from them, not from us.
Either community will do it. Many of the old Meleer's are Brawlers now. You can't expect people to magicly change.

My join date says 2008, I lurked since '04. I'm a big Melee player, but I only joined SWF for the Brawl stuff because I was finding Brawl hard to pick up.

/goes back to looking for some tourneys... I'm bored

idea

Smash Master
okay, so. my advice here is the opposite of what it was in the other thread. start spamming smash attacks and don't ever go for combos =D

without even watching most of the video though, in this game you have to wait a lot more and be generally more campy (to put it bluntly). despite everything except aerials having less lag, you still can't spam most moves. they either have to be very fast, or have a lot of range. which is why some characters' smashes work so much better in this game - range without lag. way more characters have a marth fsmash or sheik dsmash type move.

or maybe i don't know what i'm talking about =P haha, i can't tell

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
okay, so. my advice here is the opposite of what it was in the other thread. start spamming smash attacks and don't ever go for combos =D

without even watching most of the video though, in this game you have to wait a lot more and be generally more campy (to put it bluntly). despite everything except aerials having less lag, you still can't spam most moves. they either have to be very fast, or have a lot of range. which is why some characters' smashes work so much better in this game - range without lag. way more characters have a marth fsmash or sheik dsmash type move.

or maybe i don't know what i'm talking about =P haha, i can't tell
alright thanks.
man combos are hard to pull off and actually finish them.

Kiyuzoh

Smash Cadet
The transaction from Melee to Brawl is difficult (especially for those who were on the pro circuit in Melee) , but just stick with it and you'll get used to it over time.

Deva

Smash Lord
You guys should give stos a break, he said he doesnt play Brawl, so he's obviously not good. He asked for some constructive criticism, not to point out every mistake and then laugh at him. If you guys haven't noticed, some of the best brawl Links were really good in melee also. You'd be surprised how much going back and playing melee can help your brawl game and vice versa.

idea

Smash Master
lol guys, he's not learning brawl, he's just curious.

this thread is amazing

this seems as good a time as any to make that joke i thought up ages ago...namely pointing out the double meaning of "User CP". that, but phrased more comically. :bee:

Desh

Smash Ace
****ing desh approves of this thread

stos you suck **** at brawl
get a day job LOL

or just like...
idk im just talking out of my *** again :chuckle:

Legan

Smash Lord
Arrow followed by a grab? What were you thinking may I ask?

Random, really late, missed uair? He wasn't even above you when you used it.. he was pretty much below you

Learn the timing of your boomerang, you threw a few 'whiffs'

Less dash attack.

Grounded up-B when Pikachu is above you? - This isn't Melee son. (followed by a dash attack, go figure)

Trying to down air when Pikachu is at 62%.... and you got hit out of it... lol....

I see no zair up to this point (1:42) - I'm still watching

You "pull and throw" your bombs. Learn to use them, learn to Z drop them, airdodge > zair, mindgame them in, DACIT/Bombslide. You're just wasting time by pulling and throwing with no real attempt to hit.

I see another missed FF'd dair. - Seriously, you use dair to much already. (1:49)

LOL @ second stock. You know what you did wrong, and about time the Pikachu CG'd you.

You got a Jab Lock perfectly set up, but you ftilt instead? .... nice waste of an opportunity to KO the 'Chu

Another Dair? At least this one hit....

ANOTHER DAIR? Eh, this one killed.. over aggro Pikachu though...

You sure do get hit by thunder a lot....

Don't up-b right after being hit -- it cost you the match.

Zair edgeguard
DACUS
DACIT
Zair (at all....)
using bombs
arrow canceling
BACL
Pivot Walking/Boosting
Item-Holding Fsmash

SOMETHING...

I see no mindgames, just a lot of nair, bombs, and failed opportunities.

Not even going to comment second video, he was sandbagging pretty hard and messing around with basic Pika stuff. lol
Pretty lame havokk, acutally very lame. Lighten up. You're way to critical for someone who hasnt posted anything of their own game other than wifi matches.

Stos is teh sex. You're pretty much doing what all of us melee link vets did when we first picked up brawl which is trying to play him like melee link. If you ever decide to play brawl forserious let me know and ill give you some tips. Also, the disjoint on the last frame of links nair is gone if you havent already noticed lol.

Good **** though, we really need to play each other in melee sometime.

.Marik

is a social misfit
^ Lol win.

Havokk, what part of "Plays Melee, not Brawl" do you not understand?

He'd **** your *** raw in Melee and Brawl, once he gets used to it.

Good **** Stos, lol.

5ive we need to face again! I did two-stock you, remember? :laugh:

idea

Smash Master
lol, reading back that quote up there

"i see no mindgames"

it's true, stos, you need more mindgames. you only had, like, 3. a pro smasher utilizes at least 15 per game.

my record is 118 =D i still lost, though. the other guy picked fox.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Deva and the guy who posted before him: thanks a lot guys haha.

****ing desh approves of this thread

stos you suck **** at brawl
get a day job LOL

or just like...
idk im just talking out of my *** again :chuckle:
LOL Desh, stfu. imma **** your *** in brawl with a ****ing racing wheel :laugh: and imma **** your girl.

Pretty lame havokk, acutally very lame. Lighten up. You're way to critical for someone who hasnt posted anything of their own game other than wifi matches.

Stos is teh sex. You're pretty much doing what all of us melee link vets did when we first picked up brawl which is trying to play him like melee link. If you ever decide to play brawl forserious let me know and ill give you some tips. Also, the disjoint on the last frame of links nair is gone if you havent already noticed lol.

haha yeah thanks legan. after watching the video over i just realized that Link nair isnt that broken anymore =( daamn :laugh:

but yeah i'll play you in melee for sure. im actually looking forward to this :D

^ Lol win.

Havokk, what part of "Plays Melee, not Brawl" do you not understand?

He'd **** your *** raw in Melee and Brawl, once he gets used to it.

Good **** Stos, lol.

5ive we need to face again! I did two-stock you, remember? :laugh:
LOL marik thanks Link dittos mm next tourney .

lol, reading back that quote up there

"i see no mindgames"

it's true, stos, you need more mindgames. you only had, like, 3. a pro smasher utilizes at least 15 per game.

my record is 118 =D i still lost, though. the other guy picked fox.
god dammit kyle why do you have to be soo good LOL. yoo watch out. im gonna top your record. LOL what is this 118 bull**** :laugh: lets just say fox is broken.. all he needs it the "pewpewpew"

kk let this thread die.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Yay +1 post! :yoshi:

What. Brawl and/or Melee Link dittos?

If we have Link dittos, we are having Yoshi dittos. =D

You too Desh. :chuckle:

Money Matches all daiiiiiii.

mventre

Smash Apprentice
hey man ..

you'll definitely get alot better if you enjoy playing brawl and put in the practice ..

afew things I suggest are:
- Zair more (you can also Zair with a bomb in your hand by airdodging first). Obviously its alot harder to Zair smaller characters but just for future reference against other characters
- also, more jab cancelling. stuff like A, A, grab .. A, A, uptilt A, ..etc

and here's afew setups I find that are useful:
- with enemy at low dmg %, shorthopped fastfall nair into either A,A,A or some type of jab cancel like A,A, grab
- Zair (which hits enemy) then immediately when landing, dash and grab
- Zair (which hits enemy) then immediately upon landing, DAC upsmash

Using dairs as a edgeguard tactic works occasionally too. I will usually do a full hopped dair off stage at an opponet if the time is appropriate for it. If you miss, you always have your extra jump then your ^b to help you get back to the ledge (just be aware of getting gimped). ummm ..thats about it ..i'm not even sure if you'll find any of this stuff usual ..just have fun with it

SuSa

I'm going to my friend Mitchel's tomorrow, I'll record some live things, both Melee and Brawl.

I love the guy who said I'd be owned both in Melee and Brawl. Melee; possibly. I only play it when bored of Brawl. Brawl, I really highly doubt.

I saw his moves in the video before they actually happened, to predictable. And yea, maybe I could have been less of an *** in my post. But to bad, I wasn't.

He wants crit. on his Brawl, I don't give two ****'s if he came from Melee. No matter how similar you want to say they are, they aren't the same game. Their physics are different, and being good at one doesn't necessarily make you good at the other.

Newsflash:

Most of us came from Melee.

Those of us who were already highly in the competitive scene, had an easier time transitioning and becoming good at Brawl. We knew where to find the AT's, the current metagame discussions, etc. So especially someone who's been here and has the information at their fingertips, before getting crit. maybe they should read up a bit? I mean, it took me a few days? Maybe less to get the good majority of Link's strategy down for Brawl, coming from Melee myself. I didn't have it mastered, wasn't even that great, but I was at least better then this.

I sucked horribly my first while, I wouldn't have posted a vid. So I respect him for having the balls to post a vid, but don't post a vid asking for tips and tricks if you don't even plan to play seriously.

Legan

Smash Lord
\ Advice and tips would be nice.
Being condescending and pompous is not cool and there is a difference between giving advice and critiquing. Just be more aware of how you talk to people when you're trying to help them so you dont come off as a prick havokk.

ppig

Smash Journeyman
im with you stos i hate what they have done to our boy link they preety much took away the little strength he had and ****ed his *** with it lol brawl the end to a great game title

ppig

Smash Journeyman
actually i suggest stop playing brawl cause it just makes u bad at meele the slow movments and lack of cool really does a number on great meele players

Top Bottom