• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Steve Rocks Smash! Steve (and Alex) Social Thread

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Do you think Minecraft stage with hazards off could be used in tournaments? With the ability of selecting biomes I think this can be a legal stage in theory, but it's very similar to Kalos. Not all the biomes look the same: some of them have no platforms and others have one or two that make the stage not symmetrical. I think the best option is this one:

The unfortunate thing is, while watching some competitive Steve dittos, I noticed the stage seems kinda huge. We've had to make stages illegal just due to having too many big ones.

Yeah, Steve is buggy as hell. I expect patch 9.0.1 very soon

Geno Boost

Smash Master
you know if there is something i would change about Steve its definetly making Steve like :ultbowserjr: having different characters for every skin
so you can have:
Steve
(represent male player)
Alex (represent female player)
Zombie
(represent overworld mob)
Enderman
(represent The End mob)
Drowned
(represent sea mob)
Husk
(represent dessert mob)
Piglin
(represent nether mob)
Wither Skeleton
(represent nether castle mob)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Geno Boost

Smash Master

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Guys I have a bit of a problem.

Steve is broken for me. As in he literally doesn't work.

I can't ****ing mine. I press B, he does the animation but I don't collect any materials.

WTF is going on.

EDIT:

Nvm I'm an idiot.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Steve finally is getting his tournament.

Basically, all about weapons.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Also, they're putting out a new patch for Smash tomorrow. I've seen a glitch where Steve can make Samus (or Dark Samus) fall through the floor of a stage if Samus attacks Steve's blocks; are there any other major glitches like that which would need to be fixed?
Coincidentally I just saw this video, and yep:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So, how y'all feeling about Steve? Good? Bad?

Haven't taken him online yet myself, but IMHO I feel he needs more time for me personally to be able to say anything definitively about him. Biggest thing I can't decide is that I don't know if the low jump height and bad movement ruin him or not, 'cause Minecart and block placement jank make up for a lot of that.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
So, how y'all feeling about Steve? Good? Bad?

Haven't taken him online yet myself, but IMHO I feel he needs more time for me personally to be able to say anything definitively about him. Biggest thing I can't decide is that I don't know if the low jump height and bad movement ruin him or not, 'cause Minecart and block placement jank make up for a lot of that.
I think he's good and has a lot of potential for improvement as his meta evolves. He's definitely the most unorthodox character in the game so far which is why I'm not surprised reception to his viability has been polarizing so far. I think what will hurt Steve the most in the long run is not his mobility, but rather his range.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I think he's good and has a lot of potential for improvement as his meta evolves. He's definitely the most unorthodox character in the game so far which is why I'm not surprised reception to his viability has been polarizing so far. I think what will hurt Steve the most in the long run is not his mobility, but rather his range.
I'm thinking Steve lacking a projectile is probably what'll hurt him the most. His Up-Smash only being good on platform stages is a bit of a blow too IMHO.

What do you think are the best ways of keeping people off of you while mining? Given he doesn't have great range, I'm kind of stuck on what his options are on an opponent's approach/pressuring.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm thinking Steve lacking a projectile is probably what'll hurt him the most. His Up-Smash only being good on platform stages is a bit of a blow too IMHO.

What do you think are the best ways of keeping people off of you while mining? Given he doesn't have great range, I'm kind of stuck on what his options are on an opponent's approach/pressuring.
Up-Smash can be useful as an OOS option and an anti-air from what I've played. As for keeping opponents away I've been relying on building walls and blocks to prevent the opponent from pressuring me with projectiles and restricting their approach. If I have a ton of resources I can sometimes drop TNT near the blocks as a trap with the pressure plate near me. Sometimes against characters that are oppressive and great with rushdown I start out with racking up damage with them first before I mine so that I have more breathing room with my mining.

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Generally speaking, I think the reason I wasn’t as angry with Steve is because Banjo came first. I think any Banjo fan (even though I’m not necessarily one myself) can see where I’m coming from.
Steve honestly deserves it more than banjo

osby

Smash Obsessed
Generally speaking, I think the reason I wasn’t as angry with Steve is because Banjo came first. I think any Banjo fan (even though I’m not necessarily one myself) can see where I’m coming from.
Yeah, Banjo fans are surprisingly bad at not throwing temper tantrums if someone else gets what they want before them.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Steve honestly deserves it more than banjo
"Deserves" is a loaded word, and given that all three of the Microsoft front-runners have/had valid points in their favour (Banjo with nearly two decades of fan demand and having a history with Nintendo consoles stretching back to the 90s; Steve being from the best-selling game as of now, which is also a huge indie success story; Master Chief being the face of the Xbox brand as a whole), it seems hard to make the claim that one of them objectively "should" have taken priority over the other.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally I don’t think “deserving” should be an argument for videogames. The reasons some people used against Steve/Minecraft and others being deserving are ridiculous, too.

I can see using “deserving” as to whether or not the games’ devs deserve praise, though, the arguments I’ve seen against characters still not making any sense in that case.

I love both but I think I can kinda understand since, while I think he's cool, kinda find his game interesting and wouldn't mind him (might even find his moveset fun if he got added but idk), people talking a lot about Master Chief and assuming he had a good shot while ignoring or even outright dismissing Steve did kinda annoy me tbh.

I don’t understand the dudes who get obnoxious and rage about it, though.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
"Deserves" has become a meme word in this community.

It should only saved for if a character actually makes it into Smash, and that is what is deserving of praise. The fact that they made it at all, not be some perceived entitlement.

That being said, Sak apparently wanted to have a stage editor that imports Minecraft creations, but it might have been a bit much to expect for Bandai Namco's tech to be up to the task...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...o_smash_but_gave_up_because_it_was_impossible

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
"Deserves" is a loaded word, and given that all three of the Microsoft front-runners have/had valid points in their favour (Banjo with nearly two decades of fan demand and having a history with Nintendo consoles stretching back to the 90s; Steve being from the best-selling game as of now, which is also a huge indie success story; Master Chief being the face of the Xbox brand as a whole), it seems hard to make the claim that one of them objectively "should" have taken priority over the other.
I disagree,i think steve is the most deserving in terms of iconicity and legacy out of all those 3

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Made these Halloween skins for Steve and Alex (technically I made Steve's last year):
Steve (Halloween)2.png

Alex (Halloween).png

edit: also, I noticed Steve's beard is a different shade of brown in Smash; it's closer to his hair's shade.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
What do you think of this video
I don’t think he’ll be the worst in the game, though I agree with him in that characters who can keep up the pressure are Steve’s weakness.

He or whoever was playing Steve didn’t seem to play very well, though; he was kinda slow in most clips, and didn’t fully utilize Steve’s potential and combo game. He didn’t use blocks much either, and just stood there mining when he built a wall even when it was clear his opponent was about to break through; while a wall is good for mining, don’t just stand there by the opponent’s spot, at least get away a bit or try a setup.

Steve’s jab is definitely not the worst, and I find it weird he says that; you can carry an opponent for a moment while moving, and can combo them into an f-air, up-air, or up-Smash. You can also keep up-airing someone; up-air, jump while up-airing, place a block, repeat, and f-air for a combo (haven’t played much recently and haven’t tried this, or if I did I didn’t pull it off, but I saw it in a video and it seemed effective). His jab is very weak with no sword, though, but I guess that’s obvious.

I’m not very good at competitive play personally, and I know most online matches are casual, but based on what I’ve seen, this guy didn’t really do much with Steve, if even scratching the surface. A random dash attack definitely isn’t his only good option (not sure if that’s exactly what he said but it was something like that; I watched the whole video, but I’m sometimes not the best at holding in information accurately >_>), and if your opponent tries to jump over the TNT? If you’re quick enough, you can set it off and catch them. If you think they’ll roll? Send a minecart their way; as their roll ends, it catches them, then boom.

He didn’t mention how you can prevent a lot of characters from recovering if you can get them off-stage, which I think may be important to note(?); while characters can snap to ledge and remove blocks in the way when doing so, that won’t be a thing if the blocks are even just one space below the ledge. You can use the blocks in combination with the TNT or some other moves to do a good setup too, from what I’ve seen, though some characters can still get through (but you may still have a chance to mess them up).

Steve definitely has weaknesses and seems hard to master, and fighting high-pressure characters is a pain in the butt (at least for me, and as I said I’m not that good in very competitive matches (I assume that’s what I end up in when it puts me in a 1v1 against a speedy, combo-hungry player), but even though I got kicked to the curb when fighting a Joker I still think I did at least a little better than these clips tbh), but I don’t think he’s the worst. Maybe I’m wrong, maybe he’ll be low-tier, but even then, there’s always Little Mac for Steve to say “gottem GGs” to:4pacman:

I will admit however that I haven’t seen all that much (just some Steve montages on Youtube and some funny clips where someone gets an epic combo, or basically dunks their opponent off, etc., plus a few videos by another very competitive player I believe), and probably haven’t played enough though I’ve played a good amount of matches (and I’m waiting for a LAN adapter currently as I realized, while I don’t always lag, it’s likely my fault when I do since sometimes there’s an error :S), but I still think there’s no way he’s going to be the worst character even if he’s low tier.

Last edited:
Top Bottom