• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

starting zelda

smasher01

Smash Ace
im guna start using zelda what are the main things i should know about her and are the any
tricks i should learn with her.

Zone

Smash Champion
http://www.smashwiki.com/wiki/Zelda_(SSBM)

the combo part, is pretty decent for beginners here. Just gotta play with it.

Learn the advanced techs Zelda can use from the Advanced How To Play Video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiZLs2doK8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFmGIOcWdsM

Once you get a feel for all that (Consecutive feel, not (omg I did 1 Shffl, i'm done) do like 20 in a row w/o messing up. Fight some opponents, And I'll share some meta game knowledge and mind tricks, and overall priorities and match-ups you may have questions for.

Darkmusician

Smash Master
im guna start using zelda what are the main things i should know about her and are the any
tricks i should learn with her.
Welcome to the Zelda threads.

Top three things that I think are important.

1. Learn the spacing and timing of the thunder kick sweet spot. Being accurate with this is key.

2. Become very comfortable with all of Zeldas SHFFLs. That includes her dair and uair even though you won't find yourself using them quite so often. Also get used to the timing of her teching and learning how to sweet spot the ledge with Up B from as many angles as possible. It's best if these things become second nature.

3. Spacing spacing spacing. Zelda is not a bum rush aggressive character. She is a spacer.

If you have any specific questions in mind feel free to PM me or AIM me.

If you want a visual aid, feel free to view my thread.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=122117

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
One other thing i did not see in here. (unless i over looked it)

When playing Zelda, you gotta have patients. This is one of the most important things you gotta know when playing Zelda. Its a givin

Zone

Smash Champion
One other thing i did not see in here. (unless i over looked it)

When playing Zelda, you gotta have patients. This is one of the most important things you gotta know when playing Zelda. Its a givin
Yea, Patience as well as tolerance to lose alot for a while.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Does anyone here have some mind game tips for me? My schools hosting a 30 hour famine in a couple of weeks (with a room devoted to Smash/Halo) and I want to blow my arrogant friend's mind up. Any other tips against Fox would be great, too.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
You would be surprised what I am about top tell you works.

In the spot where you wouls kick................grab. Grab more then you would Fair or Bair. People expect Zelda to kick alot and will be on the look out for it.............why why not switch it up and give them something they wont see coming. Like her grab. and her grab sucks so they wont fear it. Nor know what will hit them. I do this alot now

Luthien

Smash Ace
You would be surprised what I am about top tell you works.

In the spot where you wouls kick................grab. Grab more then you would Fair or Bair. People expect Zelda to kick alot and will be on the look out for it.............why why not switch it up and give them something they wont see coming. Like her grab. and her grab sucks so they wont fear it. Nor know what will hit them. I do this alot now
Thanks. Wow, didn't think of grabing instead of kicking... at all. The good players won't see THAT coming, that's for sure...

You are a wonderful person.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Ha ha ha. Too kind

But be careful with her grab. its slow. And make sure your able to grab. If they catch on, kick em them. So best to switch it up to keep them guessing. they in the situation where you would kick.......they wont know if a kick will come in or a grab. just be careful.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
He has a point. I hate fairing and bairing alot. For me it gets boring. I do alot of her moves and put them in use. I just put vids up if u wanna check them out. Its in the zelda threads.

Zone

Smash Champion
Grabbing more than f-air and b-air is probably a bad idea. but It's not a bad idea to grab once in a while. I disliked Zelda's grab so much I super rarely used it for like a few weeks, and realized It was taking my game down, So I threw in some more grabs (When it was appropriate.) If you don't ever grab, the Only defense they have to know is shield.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Well thats just me though. I play characters very weird and manage to do well. Like if I'm in a spot where a Zelda would do a back air, I would fast fall to a grab. Or i would Dash dance then wave dash backwards to a Grab. I know more grab tricks but......Its how I play

Luthien

Smash Ace
Ha ha ha. Too kind

But be careful with her grab. its slow. And make sure your able to grab. If they catch on, kick em them. So best to switch it up to keep them guessing. they in the situation where you would kick.......they wont know if a kick will come in or a grab. just be careful.
I wasn't planning on grabbing all the time, just a lot more. Contrary to popular opinion, I'm not INCREDIBLY stupid, just SOMEWHAT stupid. I used to avoid grabbing period, and never really mixed the kick up with anything. I got what you ment.

Zone

Smash Champion
I don't see how ur grab plan can work out of shield though. Since that's where a lot of kicks happen. It's pretty much a shield grab to try and grab after shield instead of kick. and her shield grab gets you punished. The most opportune times I personally find to grab, is when they expect a dash attack. That way your on the offensive and not the defensive and they have to choose a defense to your approach.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I don't see how ur grab plan can work out of shield though. Since that's where a lot of kicks happen. It's pretty much a shield grab to try and grab after shield instead of kick. and her shield grab gets you punished. The most opportune times I personally find to grab, is when they expect a dash attack. That way your on the offensive and not the defensive and they have to choose a defense to your approach.
Hes right. Its really the only time u can kinda guarantee a grab. I do dash a alot to make them shield when i run then i grab instead. Cause her grab is weird. Shield grab isnt good.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
In this case i would not grab unless I Know I can get it.

And I dont play by the book. For people would expect common things. I play my way. even with a Character as simple as Zelda. I'm called the king of grabs for a reason. I only down my grabs down against Sheik and Marth. Fox and Falco if they space thier attacks for a shine. I do much better with Zelda when I sneak in a few grabs in and land them.

But this is just me. I dont play Zelda like everyone else. I play with my characters creatively. It makes it more fun that way. It gets more fun when I win

Luthien

Smash Ace
Hes right. Its really the only time u can kinda guarantee a grab. I do dash a alot to make them shield when i run then i grab instead. Cause her grab is weird. Shield grab isnt good.
I know, her shield grab is freakishly slow. However, the grabbing vs. kicking thing works for me because I tend to kick when I'm dashing (if not dash attack). I'm not the greatest Zelda player, so I don't really bair out of shield a lot yet. So, the advice may not work for you, but in my twisted mind, it works, because I abandoned shield grab (against non-noobs) quite a while ago.

I think the main advice was grab more to throw more unpredictability into your game. I was asking for mind games, not smart ideas (some dumb things can be smart when used appropriately). So I think it was a fine piece of advice. But yes, Zelda's grab is worse than horrible.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
In this case i would not grab unless I Know I can get it.

And I dont play by the book. For people would expect common things. I play my way. even with a Character as simple as Zelda. I'm called the king of grabs for a reason. I only down my grabs down against Sheik and Marth. Fox and Falco if they space thier attacks for a shine. I do much better with Zelda when I sneak in a few grabs in and land them.

But this is just me. I dont play Zelda like everyone else. I play with my characters creatively. It makes it more fun that way. It gets more fun when I win
I play Zelda creatively also and u see how mine plays. I didnt learn zelda from vids or a book. I did this on my own

Zone

Smash Champion
Ok you may play your way if you want no one's stopping you. Just know the consequences of trying to grab too much. My falco friend *knows* when he is out of shine range, so I can't grab assuming his shine is out of range. cuz instead he l-cancles to tilts or grabs. No one is telling you to grab less. Cuz I don't know exactly how much grabbing your talkinga bout. Your "ALOT" Of grabs could be to me "A normal amount of grabs". But to get to my point.

Why risk getting punished for a missed grab *gonna happen if you use them alot*, when there are probably safer options.

IF your winning with alot of grabs, keep doing it. Just know the opponent will learn eventually, and you'll be in hell if you fight a fox falco shiek ect that likes to spam background dodges oppose to shield.

Top Bottom