• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting roster already revealed (SamuraiPanda's Conspiracy Theoracy) [Final Update]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I've just got this feeling. Especially with the lack of character updates on the dojo I think it's a VERY large stretch to say there'll be exceedingly more than Melee characters. Btw, for those of you who say that the starting roster is everyone on the dojo, Sakurai stated that he wanted to reveal the roster himself first. I'd say we've seen plenty of hidden/unlockables.

Edit: I'd be completely content with what we'd have now if that were the case. But I'd love more characters.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I've just got this feeling. Especially with the lack of character updates on the dojo I think it's a VERY large stretch to say there'll be exceedingly more than Melee characters. Btw, for those of you who say that the starting roster is everyone on the dojo, Sakurai stated that he wanted to reveal the roster himself first. I'd say we've seen plenty of hidden/unlockables.

Edit: I'd be completely content with what we'd have now if that were the case. But I'd love more characters.
but he never said when he will reveal them, maybe he is just refering to revealing them after the game is realeased.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but what I meant was he stated that he wanted to reveal them first. Forgot to mention that. (Heard it on Show Me Your News in an early episode I believe.)

Btw, I've just noticed something that someone may not've catched. I'm not even sure if this weakens or strengthens the theoracy but think for a second. If Sakurai wanted Kirby and Zelda in the starting roster than he could've easily added them in the roster in that screenshot. Now this could go either way. One way it could go is that he didn't put them in because he just didn't want them in the starting roster. Another could mean that this is not the official starting roster, but it would only rely on Kirby and Zelda. It also could be that this is the first phase of the starting roster and they're either planning on adding a few more characters (i.e. Kirby, Zelda, etc.) or this is the actual thing.

I actually hope that this is the final starting roster believe it or not. I'll be playing SSE and event mode even if it doesn't have unlockables in it, so it doesn't actually matter to me. What really matters to me is that if there are less expected amount of characters than the entire smashboards will be groaning about it. Meaning high expectations = dissappointment. I really, really hope we get more but I'm just not sure.

P.S. I hope SamuraiPanda catches this.

Boofer

Smash Ace
That is absolutely ludicrous. I'm tired of this. There won't be over 40 characters! I still think it's a stretch to say anywhere over 35 characters, but that's my opinion.
It's ludicrous to think that all but a few on the dojo are starters? How? That seems the most likely now imo.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
this is just a starting roster for the E for all demo, the reason tehy didn't allow you to play as obvious starters like zelda is to hide shiek or say not let us play as pokemon trainer to hide that he can be male or female alt costume. things like that.

the starting roster is probably 25 characters.

it was the total in melee so it makes sense to start us there in brawl.

if the 26 character theory is correct AND the reason zelda isn't in the demo is to hide shiek's new design than it's actually 25 characters.

plus shiek was leaked "kinda" so it's not like there's alot of arguement against shiek, really the only thing is "twilight princess style" zelda but as we've seen with alt. costumes this is NOT exclusively twilight princess zelda you can play as oot zelda as well.

i dunno it just works out. i'd bet shiek and 25 starters and i really don't see this being wrong.

you can agrue against it and i can't prov this, but comeo n deep down you know it's true...

25 starters and say 10-15 unlockables maybe a few more... total 40ish characters. seems right to me.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
It's ludicrous to think that all but a few on the dojo are starters? How? That seems the most likely now imo.
Oi, you know it's starting to get annoying trying to get my point across. I think I'm going to just take a break from my argument after this post. My simple wish is for all the smashers to not be dissappointed by less than expected amount of characters. That is part of my argument, now I'ma go take a break.

Edit: The post above just kinda proves what I mean. But if you want to be adamant about your opinion then suit yourself. Btw, you can't just say it's true because we want it to. C'mon deep down you know that's what you meant. (Slightly sarcastic.)

EDreams

Smash Journeyman
I can't believe people still believe this.

You can disprove a theory with theories. That's even how law systems work, you know! You prove something beyond a shadow of a doubt based on current and previous evidence that gives credence to the theory.

The points about the box cover and the points about Event mode are more based in fact than anything I've seen for the opposite argument, which just goes on what-could-bes and alternating quotes instead of what-is.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
That is absolutely ludicrous. I'm tired of this. There won't be over 40 characters! I still think it's a stretch to say anywhere over 35 characters, but that's my opinion.
It's obvious your joking noone would be that stupid to think we'd get less than 40 playable characters as this will be the last smash bros game for many years...or maybe even the last one period.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
It's obvious your joking noone would be that stupid to think we'd get less than 40 playable characters as this will be the last smash bros game for many years...or maybe even the last one period.
Then call me an idiot then because I have my reasons. Still though, don't just base your theories off of how many characters people want in Brawl. Try something more concrete if you're serious.

Boofer

Smash Ace
Oi, you know it's starting to get annoying trying to get my point across. I think I'm going to just take a break from my argument after this post. My simple wish is for all the smashers to not be dissappointed by less than expected amount of characters. That is part of my argument, now I'ma go take a break.

Edit: The post above just kinda proves what I mean. But if you want to be adamant about your opinion then suit yourself. Btw, you can't just say it's true because we want it to. C'mon deep down you know that's what you meant. (Slightly sarcastic.)
No, believe me, I understand your point. Just don't go around saying "believing the dojo characters are starters is ludicrous." It's really not that mutch of a stretch. Based on what was revealed and what is known about previous games it seems most likely; more-so than Panda's theory.

I understand that you don't want people to be disappointed, but most people ARE being realistic, aside from maybe Regalbuster. If I was being hopeful, I'd have said "40+" characters, but I don't think we're getting that many. I'd say 32 - 40 is realistic especially considering we'll have about 20 starters.

MilesPrower

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking he just used the Demo character select to keep the real one hidden; he's nott hat stupid, as I think we still have at least 2 more characters to be added to the actual starting roster, one being Captain Falcon of course.

But there's too much "looking into" instead of common sense these days.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
No, believe me, I understand your point. Just don't go around saying "believing the dojo characters are starters is ludicrous." It's really not that mutch of a stretch. Based on what was revealed and what is known about previous games it seems most likely; more-so than Panda's theory.

I understand that you don't want people to be disappointed, but most people ARE being realistic, aside from maybe Regalbuster. If I was being hopeful, I'd have said "40+" characters, but I don't think we're getting that many. I'd say 32 - 40 is realistic especially considering we'll have about 20 starters.
You see I just don't get where people are getting 40+ from, do you? I'd have to say, maybe 40. That's a big maybe. That's being generous for me. I still don't think you can convince me any further though. Nothing can be certain until the game is out.

Btw, I do think you're being realistic about the roster.

baheffron

Smash Apprentice
Your prediction seems to be in line with today's update - note how pokemon trainer and kirby are in the first few event mode matches, making them easy unlockables. These also happen to be characters that are on the cover of the box, but not in the supposed "starting roster".

Oh, and I don't see there being any more than 40 characters in Brawl. I think there will be about 36.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Your prediction seems to be in line with today's update - note how pokemon trainer and kirby are in the first few event mode matches, making them easy unlockables. These also happen to be characters that are on the cover of the box, but not in the supposed "starting roster".

Oh, and I don't see there being any more than 40 characters in Brawl. I think there will be about 36.
If there were 36 characters, it would go something like this (for me I guess):

Dojo Characters

Bowser Jr., Krytal, Falco, Mewtwo, Jigs, Luigi, Falco, G&W, Falcon, Ridley, Sheik, Isaac, Olimar...

There will probably be more than 36 characters becaues the game HAS been in development for OVER 2 (9000!) years. Expect about 40-44 characters (44 absolute maximum!).

In regard to the conspiracy, it shall most likely remain shrowded in mystery unless we get "Starting Roster" as an update.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
If there were 36 characters, it would go something like this (for me I guess):

Dojo Characters

Bowser Jr., Krytal, Falco, Mewtwo, Jigs, Luigi, Falco, G&W, Falcon, Ridley, Sheik, Isaac, Olimar...

There will probably be more than 36 characters becaues the game HAS been in development for OVER 2 (9000!) years. Expect about 40-44 characters (44 absolute maximum!).

In regard to the conspiracy, it shall most likely remain shrowded in mystery unless we get "Starting Roster" as an update.
I agree 40-44 is a great roster.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
Agreed.

I still think those who think that Kirby is unlockable, have no such thing as common sense. It's just plain stupid.
Umm, actually Kirby does have a very good chance of being an unlockable character. He will most likely be unlocked in the first SSE mission, so don't go around saying everybody has no common sense.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Umm, actually Kirby does have a very good chance of being an unlockable character. He will most likely be unlocked in the first SSE mission, so don't go around saying everybody has no common sense.
Good chance? Being in the first SSE mission does not 'increase his chances'.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
If Kirby for some stupid reason is unlockable then Meta-Knight would have to be aswell.

Frogla

Smash Ace
No he does not have a Good chance its actaully a horrible chance. Hey guys did you know that King Boo is a playable charachter because Sakuria hasnt said anything. Prove me wrong i dare you.

I mean why would Metaknight be unlockable, the only reason Panda gives is that hes cool or has badassadry. But that doesnt matter, cute is cool to japan and cute is kirby. Sakuria wouldnt put metaknight in over kirby because hes cool.

And what if i pick starting as Kirby and dont unlock him and then Pick peach. Sakuria wouldnt force that on you to unlock the most basic players.

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
REGARDLESS of this whole mess, this game will be absolutely amazing whether there are 30 or 50 character.

12 in one, a half-dozen in the other.

For me at least.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Agreed. Think 30-40 as an absolute maximum. I think there'll be around 35 personally.
Well, like I said, the game has been in development for 2 years, I would expect at least expect 40 characters, especially after the delay (even though that was likely due to add bonus features a la co-op Events, or better Wi-Fi).

M.K

Level 55
Ahaha, this thread is full of idiots, stupid remarks, and wood clippings.

This theory is wrong! It's so obvious, and to those poor poor souls who believe otherwise, I commend you. You are either starving for attention or trying to suck up by staying close to a mod's side. This isn't the starting roster, almost every single update has proven this false. Why would King Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, and Wario be in the first FIVE event matches if they were unlockable. You can argue all day long, but the proof is in the pudd...I mean Dojo.

Also, Let me set one thing straight. Shut the **** up about the whole "Kirby unlocked in the first SSE Scene" because this is DEAD wrong. Do you notice how you can play as Kirby too? YOU DONT HAVE TO BEAT KIRBY, YOU CAN BEAT MARIO TOO! *GASPY GASP* I just blew a huge hole in your logic. Fail. I'm sorry, but I am so ****ing sick and tired of hearing that statement. It's just wrong.

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Wario, Pokemon Trainer and Kirby are on the box art so there starters. Zelda, Dedede, Ice climbers and Snake are starters as well...Sonic is the only confirmed unlockable character shown.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Ahaha, this thread is full of idiots, stupid remarks, and wood clippings.

This theory is wrong! It's so obvious, and to those poor poor souls who believe otherwise, I commend you. You are either starving for attention or trying to suck up by staying close to a mod's side. This isn't the starting roster, almost every single update has proven this false. Why would King Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, and Wario be in the first FIVE event matches if they were unlockable. You can argue all day long, but the proof is in the pudd...I mean Dojo.

Also, Let me set one thing straight. Shut the **** up about the whole "Kirby unlocked in the first SSE Scene" because this is DEAD wrong. Do you notice how you can play as Kirby too? YOU DONT HAVE TO BEAT KIRBY, YOU CAN BEAT MARIO TOO! *GASPY GASP* I just blew a huge hole in your logic. Fail. I'm sorry, but I am so ****ing sick and tired of hearing that statement. It's just wrong.
It's these posts that get me. It's not like there's a tradition in the Smash series, there's only been two games. You could unlock the characters by playing as them and winning in certain matches. Also, Sakurai could very well let us unlock many characters at once. Or maybe it's a bit different, maybe you can only unlock the characters in Event mode if you raise the difficulty on it. Sound more logical now?

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
It's these posts that get me. It's not like there's a tradition in the Smash series, there's only been two games. You could unlock the characters by playing as them and winning in certain matches. Also, Sakurai could very well let us unlock many characters at once. Or maybe it's a bit different, maybe you can only unlock the characters in Event mode if you raise the difficulty on it. Sound more logical now?
No...not even slightly.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
SamuraiPanda, I'm am very disappointed. I expect this from Nsiders but not you. So it's come to this.......
1. This is the same character selection screen from the demo. Its obviously for demonstration purposes only.

First of all, we aren’t “supposed” to have known about the character selection screen. The Dojo is NOT tailored for people who broke down and analyzsed everything in the E4All demo, it is tailored for everyone else. So the normal response to that screenshot would be “Oh, that’s the starting roster.” Not, “Oh, that’s from the demo so it can’t be real.” Also, it isn’t strange at all for the demo to use the starting roster. They aren’t going to change up the character select screen all of a sudden.
Yes, Dojo is catered to all Smash fan, BUT that doesn't change the fact that Hardcore smash fans look at the site.

So why show the real roster. Sakurai is trying to keep things hidden. We all know that. We have tried to look for leaks and what not but to no avail. So why start with the starting roster. Wouldn't it be logical that he just use the one from the demo instead as not to release any secrets.
2. There is a blatant lack of Kirby...
This is really where the logic takes a tail spin if it wasn't bad enough already.

The best thing I can say is why have Meta-Knight be a starting character and not Kirby, the star of the franchise, who is also on the game's box. Why make him hidden. It makes no sense.

And this is just why it's a demo screen. You see, Kirby is the only original 8 not in that roster. Why? Doesn't that seem odd. The answer is Sonic. Sonic was added to soften the delay. Sakurai wanted to make him playable so people wouldn't feel bad he delayed the game. Thus, no Kirby (as Japanese customs would have him take his own character out rather then others, and Meta0Knight stays as he is a newcomer).

What is the very first battle in the Subspace Emissary? Mario vs Kirby. You unlock him in the very beginning of the mode. Next match? Petey Piranha with Zelda and Peach in a cage. Save Zelda to unlock her. Sakurai is making the subspace emissary much more enjoyable for people to play by letting you rapidly unlock characters. Don’t you think its more fun if you unlock a bunch of characters while playing through it, instead of one every 2 hours? It’ll really make you want to play that mode, probably before you do anything else in the game. Also, think of the event mode. The very first event, which was already revealed, is DeDeDe and Bowser vs Mario. Beat that and you unlock DeDeDe. Sakurai is encouraging people to play all these different single player modes by having you unlock characters really easy/early/frequently, so that you play the whole thing through. In Melee, there were really obscure ways to unlock a lot of characters that most people would, and should, have taken a long time to figure out. But, because of the internet, we unlocked them all as soon as humanly possible, so there is no point in making unlockable characters so hard to obtain anymore (although there will invariably be a few that are very difficult to unlock).
This is one of the major problems with the theory is it assumes more then bring hard facts.

So Kirby is the first character. Doesn't it seem like coincidence rather then fact, looking for something that isn't there. It's no better then the cloud theory. So what about Wario. Oh, you unlock him in event match 5. Where are the ICs? Where is Snake? Where are all these characters. Dedede, Wario, Kirby and Zelda are all coincidences. Just becuase these characters appear early and were not in the demo doesn't mean that this is how you unlock them. It's also strange that you play as them so early in the game. You can play as Kirby in the first SE level. You fight Dedede in the first event match.

Edit: This point is where most people have trouble, so I figured I would expand it a bit. By the way, keep in mind that Kirby COULD be on the final starting roster. When Melee's "starting roster" was revealed (via demo), it didn't have Kirby or Zelda, which became starters when the game was released. So this point could be moot.
Exactly. So couldn't this just be the demo roster that left some characters out.

[/B]As others have already pointed out, this game is not 64, nor is it Melee. This is 6 years after the originals were made. So why do you assume you have to battle against the person you're about to unlock? I could easily see you having to win this battle with either Mario or Kirby (who could go on to fight Petey?) to unlock Kirby. Can you imagine fighting against Pokemon Trainer? How could they twist the story to do that? I find it much more plausible that when you get to a certain part in the story, you see a cutscene with PT fighting, say, Bowser or something, and then you have to play WITH PT to beat Bowser. PT could be unlocked as soon as you play with him, or he could be unlocked when you beat that match.
Now it becomes a more covering your tracks. It may have been 6 yrs. since Melee, but Sakurai has been making games between then. He has two styles of unlocking
A)Start with a fair amount and proceed where things are harder to unlock
B)Start with very little and get more just though playing the game
But with the demo roster, neither A or B works. The Smashes are always A. You start with a good chunk of the roster and get it as you complete certain requirements. With B, you get very little, but will unlock just by playing. Meteos is a good example. You star with only 4 planets, but you can fuse more as you play the game. You get thye fusion meterials by launching meteos. So, you can play straight multiplayer and get almost everything. BUT that is not how it works here. You assume it's like Melee where you still have to do certain requirements to get stuff, but you have very little. This doesn't coincide with how Sakurai has developed any of his games.

3. No Kirby, but Metaknight? Yeah right.
There is no way you can have only veterans in the starting roster, that’s ridiculous. You have to include newcomers. So who do you include? Well, if I were Sakurai, I would try to include at least one really cool, fun to play, unique, and noob-friendly character. One person that fits this perfectly is Metaknight. He is freaking awesome. How many people, who didn’t know/care about Metaknight before SSBB have fallen in love with how cool he is? Including him in the starting roster would make sense. Especially since its so easy to unlock Kirby anyways. Plus, you may meet him much later in the emissary, which is a good reason to have him unlocked from the start since he is so appealing to new players.
But you never address the issue of why Kirby isn't there. You just said why Meta-Knight is there. So where is the Kirby SamuraiPanda. You said there would be Kirby.

4. Sonic? Sakurai said he’ll be an unlockable! And why is there no Snake?!?
Yes, I know. I did the translation where he said 3rd party characters will be unlockable. But probably one of the reasons they never officially translated the blog into English was because everything he said is subject to change. Whenever I talk to casual smashers (and many hardcore ones too) about SSBB, and I mention Sonic is in the game, you know what they say? “Oh man, that is the FIRST character I’m playing with.” I’ve gotten that response incredibly often. Plus, having Sonic in the game is a HUGE selling and advertising point. It only makes sense that he’s playable from the very beginning. Snake, on the other hand, is not nearly as “huge” to the SSBB series, or to fans worldwide as Sonic. Comparing the two would be silly.
But it never answers why Snake isn't there. I've said Snake is in SmashBros and every one wants to play as him. So the same could be said about Snake for what you said of Sonic, or any other third party character for that matter.

The arguments was very clunky and didn't hit a lot of points.. What does this theory do. Assume. It assumes every last thing, and not only that, tries to tie things together that have no real relation. It's just so messy. Even looking though it, a lot of the points made no sense and didn't help your overall argument, and were kind of just.......there.

I think the best counter argument is this: just becuase it is on the site doesn't mean it's the final roster. Sakurai is tight lipped. He wouldn't reveal the final roster like that. And we know he's not done revealing characters. He will show the roster in the future, but him showing a demo instead is to keep it under wraps.

But also look at it. There is a lot of holes. Why is Kirby not there. Why is Sonic there but not Snake. Why are there no ? Boxes. Why does it not have Wario. Why does it have no Earthbound stuff when there is a lot of representation for it? Why are the characters with similar franchises split from each other. Why was Rumble Falls not a selectable course on the next demo screen? Why is there no Sonic stage? Why are all the newcomers clumped together? Why is there not enough room for more them 5 more character blocks?

The answer? This is the demo screen. He just added the wifi stuff as not to show us the true starting roster which, for all we know, could still be incomplete.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Actually Kirby wasn't in to not spoil the kirby hats.
Actually, the kirby hats probably weren't done by the time the demo was out. Most characters were still being worked on. We only got the characters they were done with. The character slect screen we see here is just a fraction of what the final will be.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wario, Pokemon Trainer and Kirby are on the box art so there starters. Zelda, Dedede, Ice climbers and Snake are starters as well...Sonic is the only confirmed unlockable character shown.
Sakurai said he wanted all 3rd parties to be unlockable.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
lol. That picture was great.

Anyway, he posted this "theoracy" as a possibility. But anything's a possibility, and it doesn't need to be posted. Seriously. Like everything else that's been posted, it could be right, it could be wrong, but without sufficient evidence, it can't be PROVEN wrong. Thus, he can say, "Oh yeah, it's right, and you can't prove it wrong."

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
lol. That picture was great.

Anyway, he posted this "theoracy" as a possibility. But anything's a possibility, and it doesn't need to be posted. Seriously. Like everything else that's been posted, it could be right, it could be wrong, but without sufficient evidence, it can't be PROVEN wrong. Thus, he can say, "Oh yeah, it's right, and you can't prove it wrong."
Well, I say it's wrong until it's proven right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom