• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starting roster already revealed (SamuraiPanda's Conspiracy Theoracy) [Final Update]

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, this is all well and good, but I did some looking around, and I found this:

#251-260: Sakurai will make Snake (and all other guest, i.e. 3rd party, characters) into an unlockable character. Sakurai will also eventually reveal all the secret characters (most likely what he did when melee was released: give details on a single starting character every week until release, then after release, give details on one secret character every week until they've all been done).
This is from the translation thread SamuraiPanda made a good year ago, and he translated it from Sakurai himself on the old SmashBros. site. Now, I'm not saying it couldn't have changed, and we definitely haven't been getting any more Character updates in a long time, but pretty much everything else on that list of translated stuff has come to fruition.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
That was a translator's note. My very own commentary, not Sakurai's. Obviously, I couldn't predict the existence of the Dojo, so that comment is now null.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
i just think the biggest flaws in that being the strating roster are:

there's characters on the cover of the game who are missing.

a BETTER reason for zelda being left out is so that people couldn't see if she was shiek at the E for all demo.

and the dojo didn't say it was the starting roster. if the dojo does reveal the starting roster i assume that will be an important enough update to really announce it.

Draenic gamer

Smash Cadet
About the expanding Character selection screen, Marvel vs Capcom 2 did that exponentially. So I'm going to agree with you there.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
See, this is all well and good, but I did some looking around, and I found this:

This is from the translation thread SamuraiPanda made a good year ago, and he translated it from Sakurai himself on the old SmashBros. site. Now, I'm not saying it couldn't have changed, and we definitely haven't been getting any more Character updates in a long time, but pretty much everything else on that list of translated stuff has come to fruition.
Clarifying what SamuraiPanda said, his note was in reference to how the Japanese Melee site was run. It was merely speculation as to how Sakurai would be revealing characters for Brawl, but it had no directly corroborating evidence behind it other than the pattern of the previous site. So Sakurai never reneged on an understood "deal," he just didn't do what he did last time.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
Ah, didn't see this before.

Anyway, this looks to be proven wrong now, with Dedede being playable in the 3rd Co-op event.

Boofer

Smash Ace
With all of these characters confirmed as playables in the first few events, it seems even more likely that they WILL be starters. Yay!

Boofer

Smash Ace
Did we REALLY have any doubt? lol.
I didn't at first, but then people were like "twenty starters are too many" and "dedede will be unlockable." I was starting to think that maybe more than a few people on the dojo were unlockables, but I highly doubt it now.

I guess there's still a SLIM chance that they could be unlocked in SSE, but I don't think so...

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
I didn't at first, but then people were like "twenty starters are too many" and "dedede will be unlockable." I was starting to think that maybe more than a few people on the dojo were unlockables, but I highly doubt it now.

I guess there's still a SLIM chance that they could be unlocked in SSE, but I don't think so...
I think 20 is an acceptable amount. 26 - the number recently theorized from CoroCoro - is most definitely not an acceptable (or even believable) amount, unless the final roster is going to stretch into the mid-40's, which I just don't see happening.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
I was also on the "Dedede unlockable" train until the first Events update. This one is just further proof.

EDIT: And now that I look at it again, the "Master the Pokémon Tag Battle" event is co-op Event 2, which contains a playable Pokémon Trainer.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
^^^^
Good point. Oh, and I'd like to state the fact that Kirby is in the very first event.

The only counter to this statement, would be if Event Mode was something you'd have to unlock.
...which I doubt.

EDIT:
And also, I'd like to make further note that Puke Green Charizard in the thumbnail of event 2 co-op is gross.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Interesting theory. My theory was similar, but I thought that the starting roster was all of the characters on the Dojo excl. Sonic and Snake.

That would make 20, you can't get a better number than that.

I also agree with the box art problem. Sakurai said that "people will easily find out the unlockables from the internet" but what if they were purposefully having a media blackout? You can't media Blackout the box! If Pokémon Trainer, Wario and Kirby are on the box, that makes me doubt the theory. You never know though... not much more than a month until we'll know though hey?

Oh, and Event mode has Dedede in the first match. Unless Event mode is unlockable (not unlikely, even though Sakurai hasn't mentioned it) then that would make Dedede a starter character.

JPSChampagne

Smash Cadet
Forgive me if this has been said, as I didn't have the time to read through all 500+ replies, but I think this character select screen was just a good stand-in for the real one. A lot of the reasons certain characters were excluded from the demo have been forgotten by now.

For example. Lucas is absent because it would have spoiled that his moveset was replacing Ness. Wario wasn't there because his final smash hadn't been revealed yet. Also, from what I heard, Kirby wasn't included because of issues with his copy ability. For all we know, Zelda wasn't included because it would spoil Sheik.

As for Sonic's inclusion - Sakurai stated, in his comments about E For All, "The problem is Sonic. What to do... I suppose if we’re going to all this trouble, perhaps we should make him playable."

This implies that Sonic will, in fact, be unlockable upon the initial launch of the game.

The arrangement of characters also reminds me of the Melee demo, where characters were arranged in a radically different way than they were in the actual game.

While I think every character (besides Sonic) pictured here will be a starter, I think it is much more realistic to think that this was just a placeholder character selection screen, so as not to reveal the actual one, which may contain a character or two that we haven't been informed of yet.

Corax The Cold

Smash Journeyman
heh im just poking fun at the title of this thread, i think the starting roster is already revealed on the dojo, cause its all the characters revealed so far

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
On today's update Pokemon trainer was on event number 5, so will we unlock pokemon trainer early or is he a starting character? so the thoery does make more sense i guess. But on the other hand for Co op play pokemon trainer is event number 2 so it is possible that he is a starting character since he is on the box.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'd say today's update did a pretty good job of supporting the other side of the theory. All of these events are available from the beginning of the game and they all involve PLAYING as characters that are supposedly unlockable. I think that with all of these characters being playable so early in event mode (such as Kirby being in the very first one) helps to prove that many of these guys are indeed starters.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
yeah this does help support this theory being false, heck you can be kirby if youplay the 1st event in co-op mode.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
Very well thought out theory, but the event mode updates, as you've already heard, wreck it pretty badly. Still, good job on explaining why the counter-arguments aren't valid, although I couldn't help but think it was wrong, simply due to the fact Kirby has been in the starting roster of two games, and it would be odd if they changed a character who has always been a started into an unlockable, but have the villain from the same franchise be a starter. Otherwise, good theory.

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
This theory is false. Why does it make sense for Peach to be on the starting roster and Zelda not, when you have to choose which of them to save in the start of Subspace. Zelda obviously wasn't included, because she is a character with special properties (transformation). This is the same reason why Ice climbers (multi-characters), Lucas (psychic controls), pkmn trainer (transformation), etc.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
^^^^
The theory isn't false, it's just unlikely.

Your comment about Lucas is just nonsense, and your comment about Zelda not being included because of her "special properties" is easily debunked with Samus. And I think the only reason no other characters were added to the demo list is because no other characters were completely finished yet. Or at least as far as non-spoiler characters go.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
I am having a hard time believing it as well there to much things pointing the other way.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Most of the counter arguments revolve around analyzing Sakurai's past patterns. I have yet to see an indisputable statement completely proving the theoracy false. Sure, the theoracy may end being flat out wrong, we have no proof either way regarding the starting roster. Even Sakurai's past quotes are no longer credible since he changes things and repeals old ideas.

omiz144

Smash Apprentice
What about the box art? The box art features Kirby, Pokemon Trainer, and Wario. Shouldn't the characters on the box itself, the first characters you see, be in the starting roster?

Just something to toss around.

Jenkins: Spy Monkey

Smash Journeyman
Most of the counter arguments revolve around analyzing Sakurai's past patterns. I have yet to see an indisputable statement completely proving the theoracy false. Sure, the theoracy may end being flat out wrong, we have no proof either way regarding the starting roster. Even Sakurai's past quotes are no longer credible since he changes things and repeals old ideas.

Actually the main counter argument now revolves around a feature that's available from the beginning that features characters not shown in the roster screen. There are currently 10 events that are available from the start that feature Wario, Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, and Kirby playable as early as the 1st event. Of course it's not "definitive proof" but it is very incriminating evidence, which leads to the idea that MOST of the characters on the dojo are starters.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
It's a shame no one knows how to master debate in here. Same points, unnbacked ideas, foolish accusations... :ohwell: You people are using THEORIES to disprove a THEORY.

And for the last time, the theory CAN'T be claimed as false until Sakurai, God, and/or Brawl itself say otherwise.

That's why it's a theory. (or... rather, "theoracy".)

Boofer

Smash Ace
Yeah, but what do you think is true? Nothing is absolute until he flat out tells us, but based on these updates the theory looks unlikely, UNLESS event matches are unlockable.

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
Everyone confirmed on the dogo(save Sonic) is a starting character.
That is absolutely ludicrous. I'm tired of this. There won't be over 40 characters! I still think it's a stretch to say anywhere over 35 characters, but that's my opinion.

soviet prince

NNID
7066-9708-9591
That is absolutely ludicrous. I'm tired of this. There won't be over 40 characters! I still think it's a stretch to say anywhere over 35 characters, but that's my opinion.
\
why does 40 characters seem so unreal to you for, anything less and it will seem unfilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom