• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

rhan

Smash Hero
Dealing with Colossus aren't that big of a deal. Unless it's like groups of 4-5. Then it becomes difficult as hell. But I don't believe a game should have gotten that far in the first place if proper harass and pushes happen.

Edit:

Sveet: That doesn't seem too bad. It only sucks cuz it stuns him for a small time frame. But that massive shield can be regenerated pretty quick.

One thing I wish Toss probably still had is probably their shield battery. It would help hold off some of the early attacks.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
6 is the magic number for Colossi. After that just get tons of ground/air support to keep them from getting sniped down and they'll melt everything.

SC2 Archons have always taken standard damage from everything, since nothing has bonus damage against Psionic, and nothing that can target ground-only units has bonus damage against Massive.

EDIT:

Sveet: That doesn't seem too bad. It only sucks cuz it stuns him for a small time frame. But that massive shield can be regenerated pretty quick.
Does everyone know how shield regen works in SC2 and how it's different from BW? I can give a quick summary but I don't have the exact numbers.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Oh **** you're right lol, I guess Void Rays are +20% super effective vs Archons now.

Cynan Machae

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CynanMachae
Just want to mention that Zone's char code in the OP is wrong (listed as Snafu.411), cause it's Snafu.141 :o Ha some trouble adding him until I found it on the other list <<

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Format:
1vs1, Best of 3
Semi-Finals: Best of 5
Finals: Best of 5
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maps:
GSL Maps (Currently the most balanced maps on Starcraft 2 at the moment)
5 Maps... total in the map pool(no maps other then the select 5 can be chosen)

Before each set of games both opponents veto 2 maps each... the map that stands out is the map first played on.. after this the loser of the matches decides the next map (from the map pool)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Disconnect procedures: Any disconnect or PC crash that happens during a competitive game will be reviewed by tournament staff. If there was an insurmountable lead at time of disconnect a win will be awarded but if there’s any doubt the game will be replayed. (~90% of the time there will be doubt) Players and others in attendance at the tournament may be consulted for opinion when viewing replay but the final decision will be made by what the event staff agree on.

From my understanding of the game I could probably take care of this without any type of biased decisions (It's pure game knowledge)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not 100% sure on what 'hacks' or 'third party programs' there are for SC2, I know of one for sure.. but any 'tournament admin' can easily check it by checking the 'mini maps' of every player every now and then(just walk by) to assure that nobody is using the 'map hack'(gives all vision on the mini map and map without needing a unit in any area.) of starcraft 2.
If someone refuses to allow their computer to be checked right after a game finishes (only if asked by an admin) due to a possible suspicion of a 'third part program' they should be disqualified.
I suggest you set up a random site or page or somewhere to get started on the list of people who are willing to participate so you have a pretty solid estimate of how many people will participate... possibly even allow a losers bracket so that people can enjoy themselves much more..
So anyway, I am hosting an in person Starcraft 2 tournament. I enjoy RTS, but I have never played them competitively and I never really gotten into Starcraft. So naturally I have a couple of questions.

So I got this email from someone interested in starcraft. Does the ruleset the person purposed look good? Is there really any place to advertise Starcraft 2 tournaments? What are your thoughts on a bring your own rig policy?

Thanks for your help.

rhan

Smash Hero
That ruleset sounds legit.

Also after about losing 3 Opponent Slightly Favored games in a row I decided to play again today. Lost another opponent slightly favored game and then won one. Promoted to Gold.

*mini yay*

Movin on upp!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Now just grind that ladder like a boss and become Master League in two weeks!

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Im actually gonna be doing a bit of that myself. I have a semester's worth of HW, labs and tests due in 17 days though, so im gonna be working on that a lot xD

_Dice

Smash Ace
Oh and for advertising Tournaments, reddit and Teamliquid are your best bet for getting a good turnout.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Hey I play some fun games sometimes that I think you guys would like. I thought I'd start uploading cool/crazy replays in case anyone wants to see them.

Im diamond/masters level so if your new you can see some basics. Ill try not to upload any of me playing too sloppy so its fun to watch.

Anyways heres a ZvZ I liked:
http://www.sc2replayed.com/replays/169908-1v1-zerg-shakuras-plateau
archons should be massive. Why the hell should they get fungald
the rest of the changes dont look too bad. Spine crawler pushes might be more viable now
Okay, so you are wrong on BOTH aspects of the patch notes you talked about, and then state you are going to show basics? tbh at diamond/low masters level you need to work on your basics to. in fact the only time you have your basics down is high masters/grandmasters. and even THEN we have plenty to work on. so really all you are showing is the slightly different metagame in low masters/diamond compared to silver/gold.

:) just to show some perspective. they really ARE better off just watching pro replays, and learn from THEIR mistakes, and not a much lower level player. Now while if you offered your insight about their replays, i'd also suggest you be wrong but still in a better situation if you stayed generic.

this game is really hard and learning from people not at the top part of the game only makes you learn flawed strategies and mechanics, which ultimately limits your peak in play.

So give your replays, ask for advice, and explain what you did wrong in the game(to your knowledge), or show very interesting games but do not say people should be learning from you since to be honest (and no disrespect) they should not be. That attitude is why certain communities get hindered rather than strengthened, they look up to whomever is highest rank to their knowledge and ignore other suggestions.

not to call you out or anything :( but all of you (myself included) have alot to learn about this game at every level, and we should NEVER be content with how well you are playing and assume people should be getting to your level, they should be surpassing it.

/top 200 player who needs alot of work in his play still.

also thanks for sharing replays, letting players watch replays at all levels helps them. if they go into it from the right perspective.

EDIT: i should write a how to watch replays to get better guide for you guys. i'll get on that tomorrow.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
yup, i misread the patchnotes and thought fungal stopping movement was null on massive, instead of frenzy like ults. Whoops

In any case theres no point arguing how good I am because I made it clear that I wanna show fun games, not pro replays. Im not bronze so a newer player can learn some build orders or something, whats that kinda stuff called, oh yeah, BASICS. If I meant high level play Id say "metagame" or something.

Read a post thoroughly before going flame crazy. Turning a fun idea into a e-peen contest

_Dice

Smash Ace
yup, i misread the patchnotes and thought fungal stopping movement was null on massive, instead of frenzy like ults. Whoops

In any case theres no point arguing how good I am because I made it clear that I wanna show fun games, not pro replays. Im not bronze so a newer player can learn some build orders or something, whats that kinda stuff called, oh yeah, BASICS. If I meant high level play Id say "metagame" or something.

Read a post thoroughly before going flame crazy. Turning a fun idea into a e-peen contest
The basics is the difference between bronze and where i am at (top 200) so learning basics from someone in the middle isn't really going to help anyone.

Thats all man, i didn't mean to disrespect you or anything, just trying to let you know that your basics are only a little less flawed than the people you are trying to help.

replays for entertainment i'm 100% for though. thats all.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
My bad dog, as a lowly diamond player I should realize that I cannot teach anybody anything about any facet of starcraft

NEWBIES COME TO THIS MAN INSTEAD ^ ^ ^ ^ ^!!!! He is kind enough to share his expertise (top200!!1!) if you hire him as a coach! He even gives 1 hour free! He'll even try to work out a way to get you lessons cheaply ;)

I should get paid for this kind of advertisement

_Dice

Smash Ace
My bad dog, as a lowly diamond player I should realize that I cannot teach anybody anything about any facet of starcraft

NEWBIES COME TO THIS MAN INSTEAD ^ ^ ^ ^ ^!!!! He is kind enough to share his expertise (top200!!1!) if you hire him as a coach! He even gives 1 hour free! He'll even try to work out a way to get you lessons cheaply ;)

I should get paid for this kind of advertisement
woah chill, no need for hate man. I'm just trying to help. and the whole lessons thing isn't for everyone, i'll gladly answer questions and do everything else free, only thing i charge for is personal 1 on 1 lessons. most people who ask for lessons are only interested in learning my style anyway. since it's unorthadox.

but yeah sorry if i come off weird, the internet is difficult to set tone in.

just because you are bad doesn't mean you can't help. just means you can't set yourself up as an example to strive towards.

and everyone in this game is bad. EVERYONE.

you do better teaching by showing a game and explaining your flaws. have people learn from your mistakes not actions. teaching how to avoid bad habits instead of teaching habits that may or may not be bad.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Just because someone could learn more from a top 200 player than a diamond player doesn't mean the diamond player can't help them. So yeah, don't shoot him down, he's trying to help people. You're sort of coming off as an elitist *******.

Zone

Smash Champion
Lol just to clarify I think diamond league players suck at this game lol. Including myself.

Most of the differences between diamond and say silver is their ability to multitasking/execution. Sure knowledge plays major part too. But my brother is just as smart as me sometimes smarter in alot of cases with sc2 but I have better execution and speed than him so I win on just that pretty much.

:phone:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I am of the opinion that someone can reach Diamond on basics alone.

Dice, what's your SC2 name/code?

_Dice

Smash Ace
I am of the opinion that someone can reach Diamond on basics alone.

Dice, what's your SC2 name/code?
you can reach grandmasters on basics alone. I don't give out my ladder practice account code (because for some ungodly reason it got out there for a while and it took a few weeks for me to ignore enough people to stop getting messages, not that i don't trust you guys, i don't trust google. but i'll give you my streaming/coaching/public account. :)

and sorry if i DO sound elitist, i'm just saying we all suck at this game, and NONE of us (even players at the top of top 200 and people making hundreds of thousands) should be held up as an example to mimic. now obviously that doesn't mean you can't learn from someone else, i'm just saying that never watch a replay to mimic unless you are sure the replay is of a player doing something near perfect or perfectly, otherwise watch replays to learn concepts and learn from a players mistakes.

Dice.944 is my public account :D i dun mind getting messages on that one unless i'm marked busy, which means i'm streaming or giving a lesson.

EDIT: also holy hell grandmasters is strict. -.- i got kicked out on login due to lack of games played, and my only problem was not playing recently because of finals lol oh well next season I guess i'll get back in. T_T

rhan

Smash Hero
Nate's just a hater on just about everyone in this tread.. lmaooooo

But yeah I'd take anyone's advice because different things work for different people/situations. Usually it all comes from the same source but other times it's something completely out of the box that works.

_Dice

Smash Ace
Uh, okay. Can I just know of your ladder name, then?
Hanfy is the current practice account name

I also have DPRCCE for messing around with protoss and new builds and stuff.

I don't mean to come off as an ******* by not giving the char code. but i stream pretty regularly, and using Dice as a name here i dun want people to google and find my "leave me alone" account. lol i even switched servers for it.

_Dice

Smash Ace
umm, what exactly is "basics"? i must be completely missing something lol
mechanics, bare bones BOs. knowing which units are more effective against units of opponent.

that alone gets you pretty much to where i am, since i'm nothing special in terms of winning consistancy.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
You have a larger amount of stuff categorized under "basics" than I do. By getting into Diamond on basics alone, I meant just macroing hard and running a single standard build, disregarding other things of varying importance like
- scouting
- map control
- pressure
- unit micro
- army composition (to a degree... don't do stupid comps like Zealot/Immortal rofl)

Also, I just wanted to verify your claims to top 200, Dice.

Sion

Island of Horizon
--which is probably why it sounded like he completely spat on nate lol.

my definition of basics is different from dice's definition as well. maybe you should clarify or reword things better next time, dice ;)

_Dice

Smash Ace
I figured ankoku it's no big deal. :) i just didn't want to come off as an *** for not wanting my char code out there when i'm a public (albeit somewhat obscure) figure due to my streaming.

and yeah basics covers alot of the game for me.

the internet sucks for explaining.

Nasty_Nate

Smash Lord
the modesty in these posts blows my mind

And I am a hater, but only when people say rediculous sh**

Top Bottom