• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Starcraft 2 (Info on first post!)

M@v

Subarashii!
fell off the fence into the terran side :)

But I'm in the protoss camp for teams, I hopefully should be hitting diamond in 4v4 randoms soon.

Zone

Smash Champion
Kenrawr won, 2-1

Metalopolis: Zone

Steppes of War: Kenrawr

Blistering Sands: Kenrawr

Was a really close set :D GG

EDIT: SORRY DOUBLE POST

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Oh God, Werekill found the Starcraft thread.
Oh god, I found the Starcraft thread.

Anyway, I've been on a trip for the last few days, so I haven't been able to play. However, I'm planning on playing my first regular ladder match tomorrow!

I'm on the fence between playing Protoss and Zerg. They're both really fun.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, I didn't have much time today, so I only played two quick practice league matches. Needless to say, I'm going to skip the rest of my matches in there.

The first guy sucked but had a very rough grasp on the basics. His main mistake was only having one barack and 6 scv's. He was a pretty cool dude, though, and I gave him some tips like hotkey usage and to create around 24 scv's.

The second guy played zerg and... Wow. His first created unit wa an overlord, and he only used (excluding building drones) 4 drones for the entire game. I was playing Protoss, and I ***** his butt off. However, I really should have been scouting; I could have beaten him a lot earlier without creating such a huge army and 3 expansions.

Oh, and he put an evolution chamber between his hatchery and his minerals. I immediately set all of my units to an attack move and started to uncontrollably laugh my head off after seeing that. XD

So yeah, if I have time, I'll play on the regular ladder tomorrow.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
...You know, you don't have to describe your Practice League matches. They literally don't mean anything - not even wins toward achievements.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What, you expect people who're still on Practice League to actually have experience in RTS, let alone Starcraft? I can even think of at least two RTS games where "blocking" resources is nearly inconsequential.

Mr.-0

Smash Ace
I would participate, but I et extremly nervouse when playing... everytime, I say to myself "15 pool, 14 hatch, 15 pool, 14 hatch, 15 pool, 14 hatch, 13 gas, then... AW **** it im gonna die 6 pool drone all in. Seriously, every time.

Edit: switch those pools and hatches, I go IdRA style.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
I would participate, but I et extremly nervouse when playing... everytime, I say to myself "15 pool, 14 hatch, 15 pool, 14 hatch, 15 pool, 14 hatch, 13 gas, then... AW **** it im gonna die 6 pool drone all in. Seriously, every time.

Edit: switch those pools and hatches, I go IdRA style.
I get crazy anxious when I play too. Just remember your opponent is prolly some sort of nervous as well.

This is a free tourney with nothing to lose, might as well gain whatever exp you can.
...You know, you don't have to describe your Practice League matches. They literally don't mean anything - not even wins toward achievements.
I repeat:

Oh God, Werekill found the Starcraft thread.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
What, you expect people who're still on Practice League to actually have experience in RTS, let alone Starcraft? I can even think of at least two RTS games where "blocking" resources is nearly inconsequential.
Oh, I actually had a small hope for at least some people to be decent. My second match on there was against a fairly good Terran player who actually knew to block his ramp, build scv's, etc. If that match had never happened, I would have quit practice league after that.

On a side note, I have no idea why I posted that description of my last two matches, and I don't remember posting it either. Oh well, I guess running on 4 hours total sleep for 3 days can do that to you.

If we finish taking down the Christmas stuff at a decent time, I'll play some ladder matches.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
In Warcraft 3 I would build my houses in a lane in order to keep my peasants from being harassed.

Worked wonders.

Twig

Smash Journeyman
In Warcraft 3 I would build my houses in a lane in order to keep my peasants from being harassed.

Worked wonders.
Too bad to finish the wall off for this, you are wasting WAY too many resources. (Or it's late enough in the game that harassment may be by air/not BM).

The standard farm/altar and farm/rax on either side leaving just one entrance was standard. Also, if you ever had to Call to Arms your gold peasants (last ditch), you can't because they are walled in.... ( Played Wc3 - Human for about 6-7 years, just some credibility - http://classic.battle.net/war3/ladd....aspx?Gateway=Azeroth&PlayerName=I_Like_Boats ).

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hey i'm new to sc2! haha. You guys mind if i ask tips and stuff? or is this mainly a get together for tournament plannings and stuff =p

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
hey sion! yeah a lot of people do. I know tblock, tyson, and icyu are all diamond league, and dragonz is plat. I think sleak plays too but not sure how good he is. I think thats about it.

Pretty much all the asians.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i saw your ultra long starcraft session on facebook haha

yo so i have some questions. I guess i should mention i'm a terran player since i hear its a good race for new players.

Anyways, after a couple of practice league games, the biggest problem i seemed to have is against protoss players. I can't seem to handle their air units like void rays and carriers. Especially those carriers T__T I just go MMM with some ghosts in there cause i hear its good against protoss but then i get pooped on.

And also they send in cloaked dark templars too. Do I just keep a raven on me or something? I don't want to have to waste a scan

i find it kinda sucky that you can't scout the other persons base in practice...so i'm not sure if they're gonna go a lot of air and stuff.

rhan

Smash Hero
How much longer I got?

Went to see mom and family during the break and internet access was damn near dead.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I hate practice league for those rocks, yeah. I'll cover questions one at a time.

Marines beat Void Rays, if you have Stim and enough of them. The problem with Void Rays is that they deal great damage to armored units and structures, but are relatively fragile as well, so the light and quick-DPS Marines make short work of them. There is the possibility of micro to be really annoying with the VRs due to outranging Marines, but that shouldn't ever come up in Practice League.

Carriers shouldn't be an issue unless you're two bases behind or something, but otherwise you should have enough Marines and Vikings to take them down. If you're even on bases and teching equally hard, BCs with Yamato will help even the odds as well. If you're mostly focusing on MMM play, make more Marines than Marauders, and switch your Starports to Viking production for a bit. The biggest trick to beating massing of aerial capital ships, though, is keeping up enough pressure to prevent them from reaching critical mass.

By the way, don't go Ghost unless you're A. really confident in your EMP placement, or B. playing against High/Dark Templar. The 150 gas for each one is much less efficient at taking down things like Colossi compared to, oh, two Vikings.

If you sense DTs incoming (which is a litte harder to do in Practice League), put down an Engineering Bay immediately and place a Turret by your choke, and keep your units guarding that choke until you can get mobile detection with the Raven out. If you're too late with the Turret, you'll need to spend a scan. It's worth the 50 energy to prevent losing a ton of your base. If for some reason you already invested in Ghost tech, EMP will disable the cloak for some time, but you'll only be able to hunt down the DT if you've invested in either Concussive Shells or Stim Packs.

However, a good load of this is irrelevant in Practice League (you'll hear this from me a lot). Just keep up with your macro and make lots of units and win.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
great! thank you so much haha.

i also have another question, about microing.

how exactly do i micro efficiently with my units? XD I know that might be really broad of a question but haha

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It is a broad question. I suppose the first part is just being able to keep track of your units. When you spread them around, you want to prevent losing them and having stray supply doing nothing, so you might like to keep the habit of hotkeying your army (you do use command groups, right? If not, learn them).

The next is having them in proper formation for maximizing damage/minimizing splash. Generally, a spread out concave formation works best. If you see an attack coming, either with a scout or a scan, pre-move your units into formation so that they concave more readily. Also take full advantage of ramps and chokepoints, since Terran is completely ranged-attacks.

Finally, there's the fancy APM-ish individual unit micro. This involves stutter-stepping (commanding your units to attack, then move during the cooldown of the attack because the cooldown applies whether moving or standing, then attack again at the end of the cooldown) to force your units into better position or up a ramp while still dealing damage; retreating and advancing certain units to get full efficiency on range or to tank damage from things like Banelings; and casting spells effectively. There's no really good way to teach this in text, so you're best off watching vids and replays of the stuff and trying it out yourself on a test map or something (search for Unit Test Map in the Custom Games).

Also, there's the micro of telling your units to target the Carriers, not the Interceptors. :laugh:

Nashun

Smash Ace
If you're in practice league, I guarauntee you that you can win 100% of your games without micro.

It's probably better for you to not do it at all.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well, I've played 3 placement matches so far.

The first one was T Vs Z (me). He tried to bunker rush me, but my queen, two spine crawlers (which I created after seeing his units moving around), and handful of zerglings at my base stopped that. Afterwards, it was just a matter of using my 12ish zerglings near his base to break through his wall of bunkers, get rid of the occassional marines that he produced before I destroyed the bunkers, kill his scv's, and use the 'lings + the extra 'lings that I produced to destroy everything.

The second match was a Zerg ditto. I guessed correctly that he was going to rush, so I made two spine crawlers. Those crawlers and my queen barely took care of the enemy lings, but they destroyed a third of my drones. Luckily, I had MY lings left, so while he was making more, I killed off all of his drones. He killed those lings, and from that point on it was just a matter of sending more lings until he ran out of resources/hatchery health.

The next match was my favorite, and it was P vs Z (me, again). I told the guy, "Gl, this is my third placement match!" and he said that me wouldn't take it easy on me.

Well, I curbstomped him. I used my overlord to scout, saw that he didn't have ANY Zealots, and sent only 4 lings to take out the two pylons around his gateway. As they were doing this, I, wielding the power of caps lock, yelled "YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS!" He surrendered after they died and my next batch of lings arrived. :3

So yeah, I only have two more matches to go. Before I forget to ask, how many ranks/leagues/whatever are there?

Top Bottom