• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stages

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
A thread about stages

Feel free to:

Post about your favorite/least favorite stages when using Doc. Or list what stages do you find work really well against characters you hate. Or talk about what stages you know you will have a disadvantage. Or even tell what platforms work better then others.

Write something because we need some more doc talk PLZ

otg

Smash Master
FD is generally really good for Doc. CG's, pill spamming etc. Chances are, it's going to get banned, so learn to play on other stages. I personally don't mind any of the neutrals, tho I tend to have a bias towards PS and DL.

Most spacies hate FoD, take them there when they ban FD vs. you. FoD is really bad vs. Peach/Sheik/Marth imo. Falco's tend to **** BF from what I've seen.

These are just a few things that come to my mind really fast, I'm sure I can elaborate more later.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
I need a solid CP against Shiek players, provided that they ban FD. I don't know what to look for in that match-up. Is PS/YS a good stage against Shiek? Seeing as I will probably be the one to kill upwards (I play PAL, and Shiek got her U-smash and uair nerfed), I think a lower ceiling would be good for me, while she will probably have an easier time recovering meaning a small stage could be useful, to allow earlier kills (I'll die early due to fair gimps regardless of the stage).

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
FoD is CF's worst legal stage, so it seems quite logical to put him there.

Could you please elaborate on why you think Shiek is better off on PS in PAL?

Palpi

Smash Hero
Well, Doc would kill off the top easier than sheik regardless of what version it is in. There isn't really a good CP against sheik as doc....either pick your best stage or PS.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
FD is generally really good for Doc. CG's, pill spamming etc. Chances are, it's going to get banned, so learn to play on other stages. I personally don't mind any of the neutrals, tho I tend to have a bias towards PS and DL.

I agree 100%

Although if FD gets banned and I'm not really sure what to choose for a counter pic, I almost always choose PS as a back up. I feel like a lot of ppl do not like that stage. But it's good for pill play when the stage changes, and I feel like many ppl have trouble moving around in some of those arenas.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Doc players like huge stages so they can camp moar.
I don't think that's very true. Big stages in general can work against Doc kinda badly. It really depends on what kind of opponent Doc is up against.

Like I wouldn't take a campy Falcon or Fox to DreamLand 64. Those characters control and cover more space wayy better than Doc.

More importantly, how can a Dr Mario camp any of the tough match ups?! Doc has a small dashdance and his jump isn't that fast or high. It's not like Doc is great at camping the air, like Marth or JigglyPuff. And if we're talkin' about pill camping, that only works against opponents that don't know the way around the pills.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
"Like I wouldn't take a campy Falcon or Fox to DreamLand 64. Those characters control and cover more space wayy better than Doc."

This is true but I feel like it also has to do a lot with platforms as well, since faster characters such as fox, falco, and falcon can get to them quicker and use them to their advantage. FD in my opinion doesn't give these three an advantage because there is really no way to go/hide. So even though they cover space way better then Doc that doesn't always mean that larger platforms are at a disadvantage for Doc

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
FD is good for Doc ONLY because of the chaingrabs, but because those are such an important aspect of his game, it makes FD his (or at least my) best stage against a lot of characters, mainly spacies.

Rostigalen

Smash Journeyman
Peach to FoD? Are you mad? The platforms are in a perfect height for her to stand there and D-smash. Oh, how I hate D-smashing Peaches...
I'd most probably play her on PS or YS to slightly nullify her good recovery and abuse her floatiness by early kills upwards.

Regarding Marth, PS may be a wise choice. I'd love to say YS was good here as well, but the platform heights **** you. DL might be good because of that.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Yea Marth takes up half of YS never mind when he is swinging that sword around. But I definitely agree that you would want an early kill upwards against a peach. But does PS have the lowest ceiling? I can never remember random **** like that.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
peach does fine on FoD vs doc
I don't like PS and DL64 vs doc, personally
On the other hand, I do like yoshi's a lot vs doc, i feel like i do better vs doc when i'm able to remain agressive, regardless of my dying %
It depends on the peach, if they're aggro, campy, or dsmash. I'd say pokemon is a safe pick regardless

otg

Smash Master
peach does fine on FoD vs doc
I don't like PS and DL64 vs doc, personally
On the other hand, I do like yoshi's a lot vs doc, i feel like i do better vs doc when i'm able to remain agressive, regardless of my dying %
It depends on the peach, if they're aggro, campy, or dsmash. I'd say pokemon is a safe pick regardless
Yeah I agree with this post.

FoD is def bad for Doc vs. Peach, and the bigger stages are probably Doc advantage (tho it sucks when you land a dthrow -> fair on her at like 120 and she STILL lives on DL, goddamn). Yoshi's I'm iffy on, tho I agree that Peach's who go aggro and cover space well will probably dominate smaller stages.

MAF we need to play more.

The Irish Mafia

MAF we need to play more.
Yeah I agree with this post ;)

I think DL isn't a bad stage for the MU for doc mostly because of mobility. Can't hit what you can't catch, and pills can be such a ***** when trying to float approach, not to mention 8% per projectile being something she can feel.
Surviving can definitely be annoying but that same quality applies to doc for peach, I'm usually too scared to combat him off the ledge because of the upB, so I either dsmash the ledge or just let him get back on, lol. Seeing people DI your fthrow till 180 isn't exactly a ton of fun either. It's not a fun stage for campy peaches but doc does out-projectile her, and has the cape, so he really doesn't need to approach, imo.

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
yall are whack

maf when do yu even ever play docs
max yur sposed to hate maf

wtf

The Irish Mafia

uhh, yeah
I meant to say TFS sucks or something
max meant to say "maf eat a ****"

I've never played any pro docs, just a few good ones, and i don't think doc has a whole lot of pocket tricks he can bust out on peach that i'm unaware of

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I like, how I was counterpicking vs a Marth. I purposely left Yoshi's unstriked. : ] Then I beat him there.

I thought I didn't like FD for some reason.

At first I didn't like ALL STAGES WITH PLATFORMS against Marth.

But meh.

I like dream land, but platforms are really high.

I like Yoshis because I can gimp spacies there really quick if I am on point.

FoD I NO LIKEY

(GENERAL KNOWLEDGE: PPL will ban FD and then FoD cuz we are docs, use that to your advantage, unless you like those stages the most : [ )

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Yes absolutely Ranmaru. I'm not sure if it's just me but I always feel like Doc has little options when it comes to playing on/around platforms. And it sucks how Marth's sword can go through pretty much any platform to hit your feet while your in shield.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah, we HAVE to jump out at some point. But there are some things we can do... Like jump up and predict an attack, so we can come in while they are still commiting.

I also hear that we can dtilt one of their attacks on the platform? I haven't tried it at all yet though.

But yeah dealing with that sword can be a pain though, but you can find me in the center uthrowing marth. : ]

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha nice.

I have actually done a d.tilt to characters on a platform but it's weird to do cuz they have to be really close to the top of the platform for you to do it. But it does work.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm, here's a problem.

A small stage for me seems to be just fine to use against falco.

Like battle field or Yoshi's. EDIT: It seems that OTG says Falco might **** on BF... Although I counterpicked yoshis and did even worse.

But, did I miss something if I still got lasered the **** out, falco ran away, and lasered again?

Maybe I forgot about the platforms?

I was thinking that FoD might be good for us since we aren't the type of char to use much combos... sometimes the lower platforms might give us a chance to combo a little further, but does that matter? I mean, we don't have much hitstun, so should we just hit once more and then wait for the opponent to fall on the platform and continue once we know what they might do to recover?

That's the only thing I'd think about for FoD.

Also, I know PS has a low ceiling, but I DON'T exactly know every little thing about each stage. Is there a way I can find more in depth details about the stages in some guide here on smash boards?

(Like dream land having a high ceiling is obv, but I didn't know that Battlefield's outer limits were much wider)

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Yea i guess i would agree with you about that falco thing. I feel it kind of depends on what kind of falco player you are playing. mafia would prob know about all those details about stages. But to make all of this remembering what character does good/bad on which stage might just be easier if we created a list or chart.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm, like character matchups?

Like we would list each stage, with a picture with details in it, and describing why or why not it may be good for him in EACH situation. LOL that would be a long topic, but it's good to know.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Yes but it would be really helpful. And any extra help for Doc can go a long way. And it could just be like a character match up chart if it would make it simpler.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hmmm that makes sense. Man that would be MUCH MORE helpful then a matchup chart. I mean, who cares if Sheik will MORE THAN MATCH ME UP lol if you know what I mean.

Nah it's good to know match ups, but i think you need to know from experience and what they are REALLY are about, not just the numbers.

Although seeing the numbers in a matchup GUIDE, I do not mind. :p

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha yea true true. Even so i feel like those match up charts are always changing or are somewhat off. They are very helpful however.

SOLAR

Smash Ace
Yoshi's story is the best stage for doc. His recovery sucks, and he doesn't need to recover from far on that stage. The edges are close, so doc is spending much of his time edge guarding. He can ride the wall with his up B.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
True, but I wouldn't want to be on a small stage with an aggro peach to begin with :p

But Yoshi is one of my faves. I DO pick it against marth sometimes, for the very reason you stated. ;P

Now some spacies, I'll take them there LOL.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Funny thing is I'm sure other characters have other advantages in YS as well.

Also sometimes us Docs can try to gimp and if we don't jump fast enough we could die lol.

Mr.Lemon

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha true true.

Don't you just hate that cloud and those shy guys, they get in the way soooooo much

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sometimes Randall is a ***** to me. I think he only saves you if he thinks you deserve it.

Shyguys are annoying lol.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yes, his name is Randall haha. Although I usually just call him cloud. : ]

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Yoshi's story is the best stage for doc. His recovery sucks, and he doesn't need to recover from far on that stage. The edges are close, so doc is spending much of his time edge guarding. He can ride the wall with his up B.
Also, Randall helps out a lot.
YS is good against Spacies and Peach/Puff.
Sheik?Marth would **** there.

True, but I wouldn't want to be on a small stage with an aggro peach to begin with :p

But Yoshi is one of my faves. I DO pick it against marth sometimes, for the very reason you stated. ;P

Now some spacies, I'll take them there LOL.
Marth DESTROYS YS. He can hit your from anywhere and traps you easily. You also can't approach with pills very much.
If your on a platform, your getting hit/it's hard for Doc to get away and regain bottom ground.
If Marth just stays in the middle you can lose so easily there.
Doc vs Marth MU is soooo bad evens stage-wise.

^ That's what I think. But we'll play soon Carlos <3

Top Bottom