• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Spike grab combo

Rykard

Smash Ace
So after watching my friend's DK always trying for the cradle throw into the stage for a stage spike, i thought "why shouldnt the ice climbers have that option as well?" after messing around for a bit i finally figured out a way that they could actually do this out of a grab but I'm not entirely sure of its usefulness since in most cases, the regular down throw to nana Fair would work much better, but this still looks cool.

So to do this, grab your opponent with the lead ice climber when you are relatively close to the edge. Then do a down throw to nana footstool so that when the opponent is footstooled, they fall off the stage. then while this is happening, dash (yes it wont be fast enough if you walk) with popo off the stage and hit your opponent with a B-air so that they get hit into the stage and fall to their doom.

obviously, this can be teched but its nice to have another option than just the nana spike since a lot of times its not a 100% kill every time. i find it really hard to do consistantly though but thats just me.

what do you guys think about this?

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice
Nice trick. There is something that I do that is pretty much similar, but for racking damage:

Chainthrow to around 40% (which they fall instead of stand after the Dthrow to nana Fair) and when switching it up to the footstool, Fsmash or jab>grab or into whatever else you want (I usually opt for Fsmash or ice breath as another lead in for more dmg.

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice
Nice, but i like nana spike better
Agreed. Also if you don't think they're at high enough percent, you can send them out further with Dtilt (at the right moment) after you have Nana connect the Fair. It sends them out pretty far unexpectedly.

It works great on anyone that doesn't have a far horizontal component to their recovery when off the stage far enough without a second jump (i.e. Marth))

GodheadsLamentX

Smash Apprentice
I'll assume you meant "video"

Got a vidjo for it? Sounds legit, but a vidjo i always nice :)
Not yet, sadly =\

Its not that hard to envision, let alone do. You pretty much do what he said (minus the whole "run off the level to Bair stagespike" scenario) and follow up with something else since they land in front of you, if the Fair is sweetspotted of course.

Rykard

Smash Ace
yeah i knew you could pretty much do anything out of a footstoll off the edge but figured that was more commonly known than the stage spike. still, i will hopefully put up a list of characters this works on soon cause it is completely useless against fast fallers from what ive experiemented with. its a weird combination of buttons that takes a while to get used to

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Let's stick to Dthrow to SH Fair.

Please can we bring back the IC matchup thread! The IC board are kinda getting to stale now >.>

Does it work at any percent and does it work with everyone?

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
There's no such thing as originality since we all take inspiration from the past.

So does it and will it it work with any character?

Rykard

Smash Ace
well to be honest its too hard for me to do consistantly and it depends on how high the character bounces before the footstool for you to be able to land this. i know for a fact it works on dedede, dk, ROB, and Bowser but the timing and such is different for every character and really hard to determine. while it isnt that reliable, you shouldnt flame because i was just trying to add something to the ice climber kill repetoir

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Well yes I shouldn't flame, but I wasn't having any intent of flaming >.>

And also sometimes going to footstool them and bair for the kill ain't worth it sometimes. Very flashy but just not work any trouble gonig too since you can risk either Nana or Popo on that (I tried it on Bowser and it rarely works)

I'm sorry if I ticked or annoyed you, but still great work, it's just not dependent for IC users.

IDK

Smash Lord
this could be better in some situations. like at low percentages. stagespikes kill earlier than spikes.

Rykard

Smash Ace
because of the bairs knockback, im pretty sure it actually kills at relatively the same or higher percentages than the normal nana fair spike. stil i pulled this off in my friend playing as game and watch yesterday and he was like "are you freaking kidding me?"

yay flashyness!

Rykard

Smash Ace
ok so i have been experimenting with this more and figured out something that can be really helpful in getting low percent kills with this method. While all characters are not immediately stage spikeable since because of their falling speed (falco for example) this allows us to play on human reaction time to get easier kills. What i mean is that when people are footstooled, they tend to either mash jump, or mash their up B move which leads to a lot of follow up possibilities for a footstool off the edge. here are just some i thought of:

1) follow opponent off the edge with popo, predict a jump, and then back air the opponent into or under the stage to only leave them with their up B that can easily be edgehogged by belay

2) desynch ice blocks after the footstool to punish the opponent as they are trying to recover from it which could lead to gimp kills or a nana hog on the edge and then use popos down tilt, forward smash or grab to punish them out of their up B since it wont catch the edge

3) simply do the footstool, wait for the lag to end and then down tilt, forward smash, or grab them out of thier second jump

4) follow opponent off stage into a sour spotted nair and then go for an edge hog or another ariel

these are just some things ive thought of but im sure others can come up with more so feel free to share.

btw if anyone could give me their wii number so i can send them a video of the stage spike, let me know cause i figure people want to see this

Rykard

Smash Ace
Ok I finally made a video of this i just need to send it to someone cause i dont ahve any recording equipment available so if it wouldnt be much trouble for someone, can we exchange wii numbers so you can post this for me?

Rykard

Smash Ace
ok so a while ago i posted this thread explaining how to do this but i was never able to actually get a video up. well i finally was able to send KRDsonic the video of me performing this so you can see what i talked about. we just have to be patient before it comes up but its pretty cool and i hope you guys like it

sorry about double post as well...

smaci92

Smash Lord
ok so a while ago i posted this thread explaining how to do this but i was never able to actually get a video up. well i finally was able to send KRDsonic the video of me performing this so you can see what i talked about. we just have to be patient before it comes up but its pretty cool and i hope you guys like it

sorry about double post as well...
cool...look forward to seeing the vid! ;)

B0mbe1c

Smash Lord
well to be honest its too hard for me to do consistantly and it depends on how high the character bounces before the footstool for you to be able to land this. i know for a fact it works on dedede, dk, ROB, and Bowser but the timing and such is different for every character and really hard to determine. while it isnt that reliable, you shouldnt flame because i was just trying to add something to the ice climber kill repetoir
Grabbed Smashes.
/topic

Rykard

Smash Ace
ok video is now up! KRDsonic is the man. here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGP7ndatur8

something to take note of though.
1) i set it on a handicap of 50% so that there was less a chance of me messing up and that it would be more effective
2) i did not fast fall this so you can see the marth actually doing his second jump before i hit him. thats my bad but its legit

enjoy!!

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
ok video is now up! KRDsonic is the man. here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGP7ndatur8

something to take note of though.
1) i set it on a handicap of 50% so that there was less a chance of me messing up and that it would be more effective
2) i did not fast fall this so you can see the marth actually doing his second jump before i hit him. thats my bad but its legit

enjoy!!
When you footstool someone, are you spamming the jump button as Nana is jumping or are you timing the second jump to footstool?

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Uhm... I think spam the jump, because when I do three jumps with Nana footstooling an opponent, he/she gets footstooled, and 2 jumps doesn't make Nana footstool them. O.o

And wow for the video, but that Marth was a CPU level 3 (Or level 9?) in Training Mode, so he could have just recovered using his Dolphin Slash.

Rykard

Smash Ace
im not sure what level the marth was, and yes he could have dolphin slashed. game and watch is another character that is anti this as well cause of his rediculous up b but its really unexpected but also something you shouldnt use too much

and it was vs mode, otherwise i couldnt have saved it...

Top Bottom