• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Speculation and Discussion Thread

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Decided to change my prediction on the final five base stages.

-Alola stage
-Forest Maze/Star Road
-Minecraft stage
-Yoshi's Crafted World stage
-Xenoblade stage

Other possibilities:
Bowser's Castle
Kirby stage (Marx is rumored to be a boss)
Rhythm Heaven stage

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Smash's development, like most projects of its production scale, tend to be very waterfall-y. (Post-64) We know Sakurai puts a lot of effort into his project plans, and seems to follow them pretty closely.

Known or suspected deviations from the plan are rare, outside of content cut due to running out of time:
  • Possibly aspects of Melee Ganondorf, as his Spaceworld model was retrofitted to Falcon's animation rig very late
  • Sonic being re-included in Brawl, after Sega initially said no
  • Possibly Diddy's down-B in Brawl, if Dixie was a tag-team character linked to him and used it
  • Robin substituted in for Chrom in 4. (Suspected)
  • Addition of the clone characters in 4; additional replacement costumes created in the slots for the original characters, and ZSS
  • Various aspects of 4 that did not work well on the 3DS, like Balloon Knockback, multiplayer Smash Run, 3D models for Pikmin and Flying Man, and possibly character transformations in general
Across the 4 sequels and their daunting complexity, this is a very short list.

Robin's substitution mid-development in 4 was the biggest alteration we suspect, and we don't really know how early/late that was.
that is all pure speculation there is no proof when the stage list was finalised also i notice you look over the cut stage data found in the games

i didnt realise you were personally acquainted with sakurai and were deeply aware of how he does things

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
that is all pure speculation there is no proof when the stage list was finalised also i notice you look over the cut stage data found in the games

i didnt realise you were personally acquainted with sakurai and were deeply aware of how he does things
I mean, I could have said "Source: Have been in the game industry for 10 years and have met Sakurai", but that felt a little unnecessary.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Unlikely to happen but Krazy Kremland would be a really fun stage.

Imagine fighting on those roller karts as you did in DKC2 and sometimes kremlings appearing on other roller karts as stage hazards. Simply put the stage could simply be like Big Blue or Spirit Train with the stage going on.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
While Fire Emblem is somewhat overrepresented in terms of characters, I think that it is underrepresented in terms of stages. FE only has 3 stages, and two of them are heavily generic areas, with only one (Arena Ferox) being based on an actual area from the games. To make this problem worse, Yoshi (which has only one rep) and Mother/Earthbound (which is finished) have more stages than FE does.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I have a couple ideas, and will probably add more as I get the ideas.
I'll be adding blue prints for each stages' basic layout.
Color Guide:
Blue- Hard Platform
Green- Semisoft Platform
Yellow- Soft Platform
Purple- Background detail (not touchable)
Light Blue- Water

The Gangplank Galleon is probably one of the most obvious, speculated, and talked about stage, and was probably mentioned numerous times in this thread. I won't go into too much detail for that very reason, but I believe the stage would look much like the image above, except the entire ship is visible. In order to make it different from the Pirate Ship stage, you wouldn't be able to see/reach the tops of the pillars. Rather than a normal bottom, it would be water similar to Pirate Ship and Tortimer Island. Stage hazard could be barrels rolling past. The only thing going against this stage is the fact that they didn't show it in K. Rool's reveal, which would've made the most sense. Still, a man can dream.
Song List: Gangplank Galleon, Busted Bayou, King K. Rool/Ship Deck 2

My chosen name has always been "New World" simply because I like the sound of it, but "Minecraft" or "Overworld" could also work. If what Vergeben says about Minecraft being included, I believe this would be the best way. This stage could have a billion different layouts, but my vision has always been it taking place over a ravine. There would be two areas with walk offs, and a giant whole in the middle (think Gaur Plains but with only the top layer). You could have trees as softplatforms, and a Creeper or other enemies could work as stage hazards.
Song List: Subwoofer Lullaby, Living Mice, Sweden, Minecraft

Ancient Gardens is the first world of Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle, a surprisingly fun Switch game. As cool as Rappid Peach, or another Rabbid, could be as a character, I don't see it happening (especially not before Rayman). A stage, however, could work. My idea is for it to take place in the middle of the tower (seen in the background of the pic), with different blocks making up the platform. I don't think this stage would have any hazards, but if necessary you could use different enemies.
Song List: Midboss Mayhem, Bowser Bows Out, Sunny Side Up
Blueprint

I was inspired by the stage in Super Smash Flash 2, and I thought it would be super cool. I haven't played many SNES games, but Super Metroid is probably one of, if not my absolute favorite. Seeing the first section of the game in glorious HD would be absolutely amazing. The stage could take place in the first area, with Samus' starship being a platform. And although it's not 100% correct to the game, you could have two pits with hills facing opposite of the main platform.
Song List: Crateria Main Theme, Norfair (Ridley's Lair), Super Metroid (Theme), Lower Brinstar
Blueprint

This is the first stage from Ghosts n' Goblins, a classic Capcom game. Never been big of a fan of the series (never got to play much), but after seeing Castlevania's treatment, I immedietely wanted this game to get represented. Arthur may not happen, but a stage would be equally as cool. I think it would take place on a floating platform with a hill. Obviously scattered with dead trees and tombstones, and maybe zombies as a hazard.
Stage List: Main Theme, Ghosts n' Goblins Theme (MvC3)
Blue Print

Helgen is the town in which Dovahkiin (the protagonist of Skyrim) is about to be executed in. While not the most recognizabled town (Whiterun, Winterhold, etc. would get that spot), it was one that I think could work well as a stage. My envisioned stage is one that takes place on one of the towers and a burning building (to be specific, the two buildings where you learn how to jump). The tower would have a small space with an impassable roof, while the burning building would take place ontop of the roof of the building. The building, as stated above, would be on fire. This could be a stage hazard, but I would want to make it just a background detail. A better and cool stage hazard (or stage boss like Yellow Devil) could be the dragon that attacks the town.
Song List- Song of the Dragonborn, Steel on Steel, Far Horizons
Blue Prints

A Sun and Moon stage is probably inevitable, and I think this would make a cool and unique stage. The fight would take place on a Battlefield-like stage that flies through the wormhole. As you fly through, you may stop and come across random legendary Pokemon from throughout the games. A couple of ideas off the top of my head could be Moltres, Rayquaza, Necrozma, Zygarde, etc.
Song List: Wild Pokemon Theme, Battle! Trainer, Ultra Wormhole Theme
Blue Print

Last edited:

splat

Smash Lord
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but I noticed all of the houses in Onett's background have gotten a paint job. Nothing too major, but I feel like it makes the area feel much more alive - and makes me wonder what other small changes they have made to past stages.

OnettSmall.png

OnettBig.png

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
While Fire Emblem is somewhat overrepresented in terms of characters, I think that it is underrepresented in terms of stages. FE only has 3 stages, and two of them are heavily generic areas, with only one (Arena Ferox) being based on an actual area from the games. To make this problem worse, Yoshi (which has only one rep) and Mother/Earthbound (which is finished) have more stages than FE does.
I always forget about Mother stages, and its a shame because I LOVE the series so so soooo much, but I feel like the stages are really underwhelming for the whimsy that Mother 3 has. New Pork City is probably the biggest offender, as you could put any other series background on it, and call it a a stage from that series. At least it has Chimera, so yay???

Luxent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Luxent
Switch FC
I posted this elsewhere, but if the rumors of an 'Updated Pokefloats with new pokemon" is true... (which I really think it is)

I'd love to see Avalugg used as the final destination version. He is flat, after all!

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
My guesses for the final 5 stages, with the first four having new characters (the only 4 unique characters left in my eyes).

1. Ultra Space / anything else from Sun & Moon
2. Minecraft stage
3. Rhythm Heaven
4. Super Mario RPG stage
5. Monster Hunter?

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
One thing that really should be present in a stage like this is a "ghost piece", or the thing that shows where a Tetrimino will land. So if it actually looked something like this, it'd do massive amounts of favors to the stage's playability.
View attachment 163265
I think this might actually work. Players can avoid death if they know where it's going to land.

Now I really want a Tetris stage. I'm sad that there's likely not going to be one.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
While I think we're probably only getting one or two characters max, I'm more optimistic about stages. That Corocoro 'leak' could have been a simple mistake, but Sakurai hasn't been as insistent on lowering expectations for new stages as he has characters. Besides, it's not like all the new stages would have to be attached to a new character. With that in mind, my predictions/wants are:

If we're getting a Pokemon newcomer, we're probably getting a Pokemon stage. Sun/Moon were definitely big sellers, so it'd be kind of weird if Odyssey, BOTW and Splatoon got a stage but they didn't. The stage is most likely going to be Ultra Space as it fits a pattern of sorts in existing Pokemon stages; that is, story-important locations where legendaries spawn in the middle as stage hazards. In this case, the stage hazards would be Ultra Beasts, spawning out of an Ultra Wormhole. You'd have:
- Pheremosa/Buzzwole: Would move round the stage, attacking players. Buzzwole would do slow, powerful attacks while Pheremosa would do rapid kicks.
- Nihilego: Would grab players like the Metroid AT. Could also carry them to other parts of the stage, including off the side.
- Kartana: Would work like the Kat & Ana AT.
- Xurkitree: Would let loose a series of lightning bolts which are highly damaging but have low knockback.
- Celesteela: Would launch from the stage like a rocket, leaving a load of smoke in its wake obscuring the battle. Any players caught directly below it would take damage from the flames.
- Guzzlord: Could either consume parts of the stage (which reform later) or work like the Ultimate Chimera, with a OHKO bite.

Donkey Kong could well be getting another stage. With Jungle Hijinx being cut and Rumble Falls not returning, the series has lost a few stages - especially unique ones. The only real unique stage remaining is the much-hated 75m. All the rest are fairly generic jungle or rapids stages. In part, I want a new DK stage but I also think it'll happen. As Jungle Hijinx is gone, there isn't really anything representing the newer DKC games. I can therefore see some kind of Tropical Freeze stage. An ice themed stage would probably best represent the stage, but I'm thinking there could be one based on Grassland Groove, one of the game's more iconic levels.

The stage in Smash could consist of several of the swaying animal platforms shown in the video above. This could be obnoxious to fight on, but you could turn the hazards off and make the platforms stay still. The background would feature the savannah scene and several dancing trees. Other than Grassland Groove, there are a load of other possible Tropical Freeze stages.

I don't think we're getting a playable Steve. Sounds like we might be getting a stage though, which could be cool. Don't know much about Minecraft, so can't really explain what it would be like other than perhaps having destroyable sections.

This is more of a want than a prediction: my main man still doesn't have a stage he can call home. However, they often do retro stages in Smash, like Wrecking Crew, so the same could happen for Gyromite.

The stage would sort of look like it does in the video, with moving pillars and ropes. I wouldn't want it as obnoxious as 75m though, so not all of the possible stage hazards would be there. It's main feature would be that it'd be like Tomodachi Life and stretch over several floors.

Okay, 'Desk' is a bad name, but I really want the desk from the opening of Smash 64 as a playable stage - and I think there's a possibility it could happen, with this being Smash 'Ultimate' and all, celebrating the series as a whole.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna post some stage ideas. These are stages that I would like to see but probably won't happen.

The stage would be pretty simple in layout. Mr. Saturns spawn occasionally, even if items are turned off. There is a hot spring, and characters that stay in it recover 1% damage per second.

This stage takes place atop the fortress. The top is a flat featureless platform, but there are other platforms below. Bullet Bills appear sometimes and fly from one side of the stage to the other. There is water below, so characters cannot be KO'ed downwards.

The stage takes place inside the train. It is a long, flat walk-off. Sometimes, ghosts and zombies appear and attack the fighters.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I always wanted a Nintendo Land stage... It could start on the top of the tower and keep rotating the background showing all portals to all Nintendo Land games, and then go down to the plaza, with the train eventually passing through the scenario.
It would also be a good lembrance of respect for the WiiU time, with a game that really used the funcionalities of the WiiU in a very good way.
It's also a very beautiful and vivid stage.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think that in the 50/50 chance that Magolor is a fighter, we could get Another Dimension as one of the five stages.
My idea would be that it's a transforming stage. It switches through 3 properties:
  1. A slowly-moving Mushroomy Kingdom style part, except it's the platforms and structures from Another Dimension
  2. The 4 Landias and the Lor Starcutter act as platforms and shoot projectiles exactly like Orbital Gate Assault and Corneria
  3. A flat, basic arena from the final boss fight, and Magolor EX/Soul appear as stage bosses.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
My new prediction for the final five stages.

Alola stage (Incineroar)
Forest Maze/Star Road (Geno)
Minecraft stage
Venus Lighthouse (Isaac and Felix)
Yoshi's Crafted World stage

Personally I'm expecting a split deal from Microsoft. We get Minecraft representation as VergeBen had said as a stage and assist trophy (Steve or Creeper, maybe even both) but get Banjo-Kazooie as a character.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
The final 5 stages?
My prediction is:

1-Mandatory Pokèmon stage (something Alola-related)
2-Rhythm Heaven stage (because after all, I think that Karate Joe may still be in the game)
3-Monster Hunter stage (they have shown the boss, but I'm sure that there is a regular stage too)
4-Mute City (Melee version returning, or a new one, I don't know, but Mute City being renamed "Mute City SNES" probably means that there is another one)
5-??? Something like Yoshi's Crafted World due to Yarn Yoshi's costume, or Lor Starcutter/Another Dimension in case we get Magolor, or Forest Maze/Star Hill if we get Geno, or something else, it's difficult to predict. If Minecraft content is in the game, this place is obviously taken by Minecraft.

Tybis

Smash Apprentice
Is there any footage of Port Town Aero Dive yet? I really want to see it in action and I'm still holding out hope that they changed the platform's edges to be grabbable.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What would you guys think of this being the SMRPG stage?

Bowser's Castle but with Exor in it and as a boss in Spirits. Spells lot of potential there.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I would like to point something out about stages. I'm not sure if it warrants its own thread, so I'll post it here. I know it's also a week late, but that is because I didn't notice it until now. I still think it's worth discussing. On October 9th, on the SSBU website, we got a blog about the boxing ring stage. It is stated that the stage can be changed from a Smash Bros design to a Punch Out design by holding the L button. We now have official confirmation that you can alter a stage by holding another button while selecting the stage.

So what does this mean for other stages? Could this be a hint at something along the lines of "Echo Stages"?

Last edited:

Lucas Storey

Smash Cadet
I would like to point something out about stages. I'm not sure if it warrants its own thread, so I'll post it here. I know it's also a week late, but that is because I didn't notice it until now. I still think it's worth discussing. On October 9th, on the SSBU website, we got a blog about the boxing ring stage. It is stated that the stage can be changed from a Smash Bros design to a Punch Out design by holding the L button. We now have official confirmation that you can alter a stage by holding another button while selecting the stage.

So what does this mean for other stages? Could this be a hint at something along the lines of "Echo Stages"?
There might be hope for Mushroomy Kingdom 1-2!

MrDrProfessor

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0044-3303-8549
My prediction is that all of the new stages are going to be tied to a big character reveal. I don't feel like there's going to be many stages left to announce.
So as much as I would like another Mario Stage or Zelda stage, heck even Fire Emblem. I don't feel like we'll be seeing them.

So as for my actual prediction... I'm really feeling another 3rd party stage, similar to how Dracula Castle was handled. A stage for a new franchise coming to Smash.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
The latest issue of CoroCoro has confirmed that they were incorrect, and there are in fact 103 stages in the game.

I, for one, am shocked that information narrated to us from Sakurai in an international broadcast turned out to be true.

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet
I'm still perplexed by the number of people who thought we were going to get additional stages after Sakurai clearly stated that 103 was the total stage count.

Groupthink is a powerful thing!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm still perplexed by the number of people who thought we were going to get additional stages after Sakurai clearly stated that 103 was the total stage count.

Groupthink is a powerful thing!
That's not what he actually said.

He said "as of now, the stage count is 103". That was during a direct quite a long time ago.

It implies it's the final one, but he wasn't actually severely specific on that front. It was vague enough to be unsure of the final count. Of course, it probably is, but all CoroCoro is doing is reporting the current total Sakurai noted at the time of the Smash Direct.

D

Deleted member

I am interested on sharing my idea for the possible Crash Bandicoot stage.

It would be the Warp Room from Warped, but with a mechanic similar to Kalos' league:

You start in the place itself, but like in the mentioned Pokémon stage, you get warped through each of the boss fight levels. These being the colliseum (Tiny Tiguer), the round frozen zone with Penta Penguin (Dingodile), N.Tropy's room, N.Gin's spaceship and the final boss room.

In each one, you will find the enemies that appear in the levels that inspire the bosses Warp room (Medieval enemies with Tiny, chinese ones with N.Tropy, those founds on the futuristic levels with Cortex and Uka Uka, etc...).

Sometimes, the bosses will appear in their respective rooms, and affect the stage itself in certain ways.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
hmm, wonder if it was an actual mistake or if this is them trying to fix potential damage of them releasing info they should not have, guess we will have to wait to find out, very interesting though

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616

He said "as of now, the stage count is 103". That was during a direct quite a long time ago.
I don't know how many times I'm going to have to quote this verbatim:

"Let's compare it [the number of stages] to the totals in previous games. [Graph] Now the total number of stages is, viola! 103! We must be crazy. If we exclude Battlefield, Final Destination, and Big Battlefield, we have exactly 100. Let's take a look at the stage select screen:" [screen of 103 stages + random]

When has Sakurai ever--for any type of content--randomly announced an arbitrary incomplete number as "the total"?

Sakurai has no problems teasing the existence of more characters, more modes and menu options, bosses, and more. Why would he keep stages even more secret than those things?

Why update the website only at/with exactly 103 stages? Why put out a press kit bragging about precisely 103 stages? Why write a Famitsu column specifically bragging about 103 stages?

Masahiro Sakurai said the words "the total number of stages is 103" in an international broadcast. The degree of willful self-deception and mental gymnastics required to ignore that is absurd.

Of course, he also said not the expect too many newcomers, that there's only a few left (2 characters ago), and anyone expecting as much as the last presentation will be disappointed. And we're apparently ignoring all of that, so it's par for the course I guess.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't know how many times I'm going to have to quote this verbatim:

"Let's compare it [the number of stages] to the totals in previous games. [Graph] Now the total number of stages is, viola! 103! We must be crazy. If we exclude Battlefield, Final Destination, and Big Battlefield, we have exactly 100. Let's take a look at the stage select screen:" [screen of 103 stages + random]

When has Sakurai ever--for any type of content--randomly announced an arbitrary incomplete number as "the total"?

Sakurai has no problems teasing the existence of more characters, more modes and menu options, bosses, and more. Why would he keep stages even more secret than those things?
Or it could mean he doesn't want to announce a stage from a newcomer from a new series yet. Another white lie. Or it could mean some stages were still being finished up and weren't actually done yet at the time of the announcement.

What arbitrary number? You're taking it out of context each time you say "the total". It's "now the total", which still has a different meaning, a specific present tense meaning. It can absolutely mean that the stage total is at 103 because he's finished with them all too. It's quite possible and likely.

Why update the website only at/with exactly 103 stages? Why put out a press kit bragging about precisely 103 stages? Why write a Famitsu column specifically bragging about 103 stages?
Why would he update the website with more than he said at this time? If more are coming, he'd update them when they announce them. All this means is it's likely the final total. Updates aren't consistent on the site and it has had errors before. It's hardly the most reliable way to look at everything. It took forever for Waluigi to even be put on there, same with others like Ashley alone.

Masahiro Sakurai said the words "the total number of stages is 103" in an international broadcast. The degree of willful self-deception and mental gymnastics required to ignore that is absurd.
No, he said the words "Now the total number of stages in 103". That's explicitly the present tense, not the future tense. It could just be poor wording, or it could mean more is coming.

Of course, he also said not the expect too many newcomers, that there's only a few left (2 characters ago), and anyone expecting as much as the last presentation will be disappointed. And we're apparently ignoring all of that, so it's par for the course I guess.
That has nothing to do with what anybody said. Nor really relevant to the point being made. Nor is being ignored, because it's far more clear wording to begin with. Unlike that, he wasn't all that clear on if the stage count was already finished by the time of the presentation or if that was the current ones finished developing. That's the issue with taking his words out of context. He never said it was the final number. He was "it was the current number at the time of this presentation" specifically. Which takes all of what he said into account.

Master of Fire

Smash Cadet

It implies it's the final one, but he wasn't actually severely specific on that front. It was vague enough to be unsure of the final count. Of course, it probably is, but all CoroCoro is doing is reporting the current total Sakurai noted at the time of the Smash Direct.
Sakurai never said "as of now, the stage count is 103".

Sakurai's exact words were "Let's compare it to the totals in previous games. Now the total number of stages is, viola! 103! We must be crazy. If we exclude Battlefield, Final Destination, and Big Battlefield, we have exactly 100."

There is a difference.

"Now" (not "as of now") in Sakurai's statement refers to Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It is used in comparison to "then" (previous Super Smash Bros. games). In both cases he is talking about the (final) total stage count.

Sakurai confirmed that there are 103 total stages again in this interview:

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2018/...smash-direct-sakurais-famitsu-column-vol-561/

"If you include Battlefield, Big Battlefield, and Final Destination, then there are 103 stages–104 if you also add in the Training Stage."

"Despite struggling to gather the necessary human resources, we made it our mission to put together 100 stages, so I hope you enjoy them."

Sakurai didn't say that he has revealed 103 stages so far, he said there are 103 stages.

Last edited:
Top Bottom