• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Stage Legality Discussion Thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Agreed, there's a lot of stages that, while fun, just simply aren't fair. Mushroom Kingdom U for example would be a good counterpick if it weren't for that stupid Nabbit. Orbital Gate Assault would be good if it wasn't Orbital Gate Assault and just Great Fox instead. (I'm not really kidding about that last one, I hate Orbital Gate Assault but it's so pretty.)

Though, doesn't Wii Fit Studio have randomised platform layouts like Gamer?
WFS's platforms are in a random arrangement every time they come and go, but they're all completely normal instead of solid. (Coliseum's platforms are also random-ish since they rise to different heights. The individual segments themselves are fixed though.)

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
...Wouldn't it be cool on the Stage Builder if you could theoretically make transforming stages run off a timer of sorts?

Like, have a base stage (lets say a completely flat stage with no particularly special attributes other than two platforms above ala Pokemon Stadium 2) that runs on a timer for other, off screen platforms that would appear and or rearrange over time?

...Rambling aside, I've been playing Mushroom Kingdom U very extensively lately and even had gentleman'd some people to the stage in tournament. As someone who likes smaller rulesets with static properties, I have really enjoyed the stage on a competitive level. Honestly it's such a well made stage on a number of facets, and not even Nabbit really ruins the stage for me personally given how easy (though hard on the fingers!) I can mash out of it. One time when he appeared by opponent and I just kind of quietly agreed to take him out like the chump he is before properly resuming battle. Seriously, I'll take this over Castle Siege/Halberd any day.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
So poking around some other threads, i see some people saying castle siege is bad... i find it a bit hard to understand where they're coming from on this... yeah, it has that transformation with walkoffs, but the form isn't bad in and of itself, it just has those walk offs, and the statues which can take hits, but i fail to see how it might qualify as "bad"

Illuminose

Smash Ace
So poking around some other threads, i see some people saying castle siege is bad... i find it a bit hard to understand where they're coming from on this... yeah, it has that transformation with walkoffs, but the form isn't bad in and of itself, it just has those walk offs, and the statues which can take hits, but i fail to see how it might qualify as "bad"
Ok so. Yes, the transformation is that bad. The high platforms and walkoffs make camping a really big issue, and there's the walkoffs which are bad for obvious reasons (cheesy horizontal kills and walkoff camping). The statues also mess up projectiles. That transformation is really, really terrible for competition. It's there for 43 seconds at a time (iirc) and is a third of the stage, which is pretty unacceptable. The transitions are pretty iffy too...like that missing a tech can result in instant death, and that the transitions can save people who have otherwise been gimped.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
what about Mario Galaxy? when I think of stages that nobody talks about that might maybe be usable, Galaxy is really the last stage that comes to mind

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
So i'm currently debating if taking out castle siege from my list would be worth it or not. it seems like the stage overall is fine to me, having only the 2nd form having some issues, but im just not sure. as of now, i have 5 starters, 6 counterpicks, and nixing castle siege would give me a nice even number, which i personally like visually, but i don't just want to take something out because of some perceived issues.

are there any good examples of whats not super great about the stage?

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
So i'm currently debating if taking out castle siege from my list would be worth it or not. it seems like the stage overall is fine to me, having only the 2nd form having some issues, but im just not sure. as of now, i have 5 starters, 6 counterpicks, and nixing castle siege would give me a nice even number, which i personally like visually, but i don't just want to take something out because of some perceived issues.

What are your 10 other stages? There are stages worse than CS that should be brought into question before it. I personally don't think reducing the number of stages is entirely necessary, (in my opinion) an odd number like 11 is actually marginally better for balance as everyone can get their 6th best stage (especially with FLSS) rather than the stagelist favouring one player.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210

Castle Siege is a fine stage. Even though the 2nd transformation has walkoffs for 43 seconds, that's not really enough for it to be abusable... The statues messing with projectiles is just a part of the stage which makes it more unique. I've even seen projectile users like Ness and Robin to use the statues in their favour to set up their own stage hazards. The stage is interesting and I don't think that it warrants a ban.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
Castle Siege is a fine stage. Even though the 2nd transformation has walkoffs for 43 seconds, that's not really enough for it to be abusable... The statues messing with projectiles is just a part of the stage which makes it more unique. I've even seen projectile users like Ness and Robin to use the statues in their favour to set up their own stage hazards. The stage is interesting and I don't think that it warrants a ban.
That is more than long enough for it to be abusable. 15 second campable transformations are abusable. 43 seconds is almost triple that.

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
What are your 10 other stages? There are stages worse than CS that should be brought into question before it. I personally don't think reducing the number of stages is entirely necessary, (in my opinion) an odd number like 11 is actually marginally better for balance as everyone can get their 6th best stage (especially with FLSS) rather than the stagelist favouring one player.
So far the stage list is:

Battlefield
FD
Lylat
Town & City
Smashville
Skyloft
Dreamland
Wuhu
Duckhunt
Peaches Castle
and Castle Siege.

This is somewhat my thoughts as well, but once the seed of doubt is planted, its hard to uproot it.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
would get rid of peach's castle, you'll get timeouts/extra long games when people play on that stage due to the bumpers.

as much as wuhu/skyloft/siege suck peach's castle is just bad.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
would get rid of peach's castle, you'll get timeouts/extra long games when people play on that stage due to the bumpers.

as much as wuhu/skyloft/siege suck peach's castle is just bad.
Have you tested Peach's Castle extensively in real matches? Just curious. I'm not going to argue against timeouts because I haven't tested it enough myself to determine if that will actually happen, but you shouldn't brush a stage off if you're just theorycrafting. I really liked playing on the stage with a friend of mine so it would be a shame if we banned it, but then again, I haven't tried to abuse the bumpers or anything.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
have played on it a few times and was able to tech a lot of launches. 2 of the matches I've played on it iirc have gone to time.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

Battlefield
FD
Lylat
Town & City
Smashville
Skyloft
Dreamland
Wuhu
Duckhunt
Peaches Castle
and Castle Siege.
You should ask yourself about Castle Siege :
1-What options does this stage give to players ? What strategical reasons would someone have to pick it over another stage ? Can those options/strategies be found in some other stages of my list ?
2-Do I want to let players have access to these options/strategies in my tournament ?
3-Do I want to give the players the possibility remove those options/strategies from their opponent in my tournament ?

By answering question 1 you'll make a list of the characteristics of the stage and what behaviour it promotes
for Castle Siege it would be alternating between a small stage (promotes aggressive play), a big stage with walkoffs and giant destructible hurtboxes (promotes blastzone camping and blocks projectiles) and a tilting FD lookalike (promotes ????). You can find most of these characteristics in Skyloft and Wuhu bar the statues.

By answsering question 2 you'll know if you want this stage (and/or similar stages) banned on not.

By answering question 3 you'll know if you want the sum of stages that are "Castle Siege" like to be bigger than your total number of bans or not.
If your tournament has 2 bans then by letting CS, Wuhu and Skyloft on your list you imply that players can not ban all transforming stages. If you want players to be able to ban all transforming stages then you need to either raise the number of bans to 3 or remove one of the stages from the list.

Hope this helped.

PS : you can use those 3 questions for every stage on your list, and I personally don't understand why would anyone pick Skyloft and Wuhu but not Delfino. To each his own I guess.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ dav3yb dav3yb IMO Peach's Castle is the most suspect stage on that list followed by Castle Siege and should be addressed long before CS.

By answering question 3 you'll know if you want the sum of stages that are "Castle Siege" like to be bigger than your total number of bans or not.
If your tournament has 2 bans then by letting CS, Wuhu and Skyloft on your list you imply that players can not ban all transforming stages. If you want players to be able to ban all transforming stages then you need to either raise the number of bans to 3 or remove one of the stages from the list.
This is silly to me. The only thing these 3 stages have in common is the fact that they aren't static and have rather large blast zones - some of the time. You don't actually need to be able to ban all 3, they're rather different and I think very few players and even fewer characters will choose all 3 of these stages as their first, second and third preferences. Why can't I apply the same logic to other stages? If your tournament has 2 bans, by including Battlefield, Dream Land, Lylat, Smashville, Town and City, Duck Hunt on your list you imply that players can not ban all non-transforming platformed stages. If you want players to be able to ban all platformed stages, you either need to raise the number of bans to 6+ or remove several stages from the list.

Illuminose

Smash Ace
i don't really get what people see in wuhu and skyloft. all of my experiences on those stages are that the transformations are super campy/degenerate. are people playing with a pact not to camp? what are you seeing.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
I'm curious myself for those two stages in particular. I've played both extensively in tournament as well as friendlies and while I do enjoy the stages as a whole (Seriously, most brilliantly made stages overall in this game!) I am curious what exactly they offer for tournaments when we already have a pretty solid stagelist without them.

Last edited:

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
@ dav3yb dav3yb IMO Peach's Castle is the most suspect stage on that list followed by Castle Siege and should be addressed long before CS.

This is silly to me. The only thing these 3 stages have in common is the fact that they aren't static and have rather large blast zones - some of the time. You don't actually need to be able to ban all 3, they're rather different and I think very few players and even fewer characters will choose all 3 of these stages as their first, second and third preferences. Why can't I apply the same logic to other stages? If your tournament has 2 bans, by including Battlefield, Dream Land, Lylat, Smashville, Town and City, Duck Hunt on your list you imply that players can not ban all non-transforming platformed stages. If you want players to be able to ban all platformed stages, you either need to raise the number of bans to 6+ or remove several stages from the list.

I think that's sort of his point. If you want players to be able to ban out all those stages, you have to change the rules in an obviously ridiculous way, therefore it's not a reasonable thing to enforce in a tournament.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
Battlefield
FD
Lylat
Town & City
Smashville
Skyloft
Dreamland
Wuhu
Duckhunt
Peaches Castle
and Castle Siege.

Peach's Castle, Skyloft, Wuhu Island, and Castle Siege are all poor stages for competitive play for a number of reasons. I'll try to address them one by one in my Smashboards Effortpost Debut, because RIP|Merrick RIP|Merrick asked me very nicely to do so. These points are made under the assumption that camping, infinites, glitches, walkoffs, stage hazards, and unexpected or unpredictable effects on game mechanics are all undesirable in competition.
As I use it, the term "transition" refers to the process of changing between stage layouts, while the term "transformation" refers to the layout itself.

Peach's Castle:
This is easily the worst offender on the list, and it's not because of the bumper.
  • The stage layout itself favors characters with a strong aerial game to an extreme degree. The player who controls the center bottom platform has a huge advantage and can juggle opponents as they land on the huge intangible floor above.
  • The moving platform enables massive damage to be racked up with rapid jab combos into the wall as it retracts, breaking the usual pushback mechanic that balances it in other situations.
  • The horizontal blast zones are massive, again favoring characters with lots of aerial mobility, and the top blast zone isn't much better.
  • The ramps in the corners can be teched, which, in combination with the bumper saving characters from vertical KOs, allows characters to survive to incredibly high percents.
It also suffers from a number of glitches:
Skyloft:
This stage is incredibly glitchy, transitions frequently, and has many uncompetitive transformations.
  • Skyloft suffers from the same basic issue as Delfino, Wuhu, and every other transforming stage: forcing characters to reset to neutral every fifteen seconds via transitions is not a healthy mechanic. It excessively favors campy characters and those with strong neutral games, and hurts rushdown characters who rely on being close to their opponent.
  • There are a number of well-documented glitches that can occur during transitions that can either gimp recoveries or cause characters to clip through the stage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHn2_IaaG7I
  • The Knight Academy, Windmill, Bridge, Fountain and Isle of the Goddess transformations all encourage camping, the latter to a somewhat lesser degree, via raised center sections. Being forced to approach your opponent from above puts the aggressor at a huge disadvantage every time. The fountain is especially bad due to the upward windboxes created by the water itself.
  • The left platform of the Waterfall Island transformation is extremely campable for the reasons listed above. The transformation also encourages camping via waterfalls that pull characters to their death if entered and force players to jump in order to approach.
  • The Small Island transformation is extremely conducive to circle camping.
  • The Bridge, Plaza, Residential District, Bazaar, and Isle of the Goddess transformations all feature one or more walkoffs.
  • The Knight Academy, Residential District, and Waterfall Island transformations all feature vertical walls that allow for wall infinites.
Wuhu Island:
This stage also transitions frequently and has many uncompetitive transformations. It suffers from most of the same issues as Skyloft.
  • Wuhu Island has the same basic issue with frequent transitions addressed in the first bullet point on Skyloft above.
  • The Bridge, Beach, Fountain, and Cliff transformations all feature one or more walkoffs.
  • The Bridge, Rocks, and Volcano transformations all force players to jump over gaps in order to approach, therefore encouraging camping.
  • The Fountain and Boat transformations both have large elevated sections in the middle, again discouraging approaching and encouraging camping.
  • The lower platform on the right side of the Volcano transformation is extremely campable due to the elevation change.
  • The Rocks, Boat, and Volcano transformations all have walls that enable wall infinites.
  • The Cliff transformation features a stage hazard in the form of an exploding balloon that can kill at around 175- 200% and deals 10% damage.
  • The Rocks and Jet Ski Race transformations feature static water that allows swimming characters to be trapped and killed with repeated spikes.
  • The Boat transformation deals 100% damage to and spikes characters that touch the water on the right side, instantly killing them, and rapidly kills characters who touch the water on the left by pulling them into the left blast zone.
Castle Siege:
This stage is probably the least offensive of the lot, but it's still by no means suited for competition. The statues and walkoffs are the most glaring problems, but by no means the only ones.
  • The problem with transitions that exists for Wuhu and Skyloft still applies here, albeit less pronounced due to the long period of time between transitions.
  • The initial Battlements transformation provides a distinct advantage to the player who spawns on the left side of the stage at the start of the match by providing them the low ground, again, forcing their opponent to approach from above.
  • The transitional transformation has walkoffs on both sides, which are problematic in their own right, but especially so because they can both save characters who are falling to their death just before the transition, and allow grab suicides on the edges when the floor disappears beneath both characters.
  • The Throne Room transformation features not one, not two, but four walkoffs.
  • The statues in the Throne Room transformation stop projectiles, severely gimping projectile users. They also produce a significant amount of unexpected behavior due to their hurtboxes, which can trigger projectiles like PK Fire, and extend the amount of time hitboxes with freeze frames stay out when they are hit.
  • The tilting of the Underground transformation also interferes with projectiles and generally causes unexpected behavior, causing grabs to miss when they shouldn't and so on.
I would like to preemptively address one common argument: the amount of time a problem exists on a stage is not relevant. Players being forced to "just wait it out" during degenerate transformations is not something that includes skill or makes for exciting matches. Fifteen or forty three seconds of a degenerate transformation is still plenty of time to exploit walkoffs or wall infinites.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts on those four. Many of these issues apply to Halberd and Delfino as well, and I could go into detail about why I made the assumptions I did at the top of this post, but it's 2AM and I spent way longer on this than I thought I would. I'm happy to discuss any of the points made above with anyone who disagrees or wants clarification!

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
You guys make me cringe. A lot.

If you seriously think 10 seconds of camping is degenerate play, you should quit the game given Rosalina, Sonic, Villager, and a bunch of projectile-based and/or defensive characters exist.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Thanks so much for taking the time to posting essentially all of my thoughts I've had against these stages for so long on a competitive level. If you don't have the time to edit it in I'd be happy to cover notable issues I have on Halberd at some point and my reasoning behind wanting it to no longer be legal for major tournaments, my biggest beef overall being not the hazards per se nor the random factor behind who they target (though that certainly hinders it's legality), but also keeping in mind that the claw, unlike the laser, does not have any indication like a cursor or anything to indicate who it's going to target. And when you're as close to your opponent in combat as you're likely to be, it is a legit concern because there's no clear visual that determines that close up who the claw is targeting. The hazard itself is whatever, and this is coming from someone who would love for Mushroom Kingdom U which is rife with them.

If you seriously think 10 seconds of camping is degenerate play, you should quit the game given Rosalina, Sonic, Villager, and a bunch of projectile-based and/or defensive characters exist.
We can lessen that by trimming the fat. With seven stages this would be a viable thing on any of the bigger base stages like Final Destination, Town & City and Duck Hunt come to mind for those characters as well, Sonic in particular who would love to play keepaway and stall until he times you out. Camping is viable on any stage really dependent on matchups. That's not necessarily the problem. The problem comes when you're forced, however momentarily, to play even more cautiously than before in an undesired environment. Anyone at any percentage should be deathly afraid of being on the edge of the second transformation of Castle Siege. And it's such a problem based on the fact that it's a walkoff, however brief or long.

Walkoffs are degenerate and undesired in competitive play without a doubt, otherwise stages like Wii Fit Studio would be suspect to legal. But it's not because it's a permanent walkoff, and no matter how poorly the positioning, you are in constant fear of being faired to death by Sheik on that stage in the same manner you are on Castle on the temporary walkoff. And even ignoring the camping point Jpot brought up, there are still very valid and other legit problems he brought to life that should not be ignored.

delfino6.jpg

And real quick, the rightmost edge on this transformation of Delfino is a problem. It cannot be grabbed so those offstage here are very likely going to die. Being on the left isn't that much greater either because of the risk of a premature death off the blastzone and it being a walkoff. So what do you realistically do other than abuse the structure of this stage and camp it out? And even ignoring camping strats, again, because they don't matter, there is no safe way back on stage when recovering from the right here if you somehow end up in that position.

I'd love to see some actual discussion regarding the points we brought up.

Last edited:

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93

First of all, I don't care how much I make you "cringe", and that's not really relevant to stage legality. Secondly, I already addressed the point about "just ten seconds". If it's degenerate, it's degenerate, be it for ten seconds or ten minutes. Thirdly, defensive playstyles on balanced stages are cool. Being forced to play defensively regardless of character choice by a stage that makes approaching the objectively wrong choice in every situation is not.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
As @ The_Jiggernaut The_Jiggernaut said, this is my point exactly. I'm not saying he should give people options to ban all stages with temporary walkoffs, blastzone size changes and slants (things that all 3 stages share), but if he wants to then he should alter his stagelist and/or ruleset accordingly.
And yes your example is valid : if you want to players to be able to ban all non transforming platformed stages you need to either reduce the number of stages drastically (3/5 stages list) or augment the number of bans ridiculously. If doing so is a good or bad idea though, is up for the TO to decide. Unless you're the kind of guy that thinks his ideas are the best of course.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
First of all, I don't care how much I make you "cringe", and that's not really relevant to stage legality. Secondly, I already addressed the point about "just ten seconds". If it's degenerate, it's degenerate, be it for ten seconds or ten minutes. Thirdly, defensive playstyles on balanced stages are cool. Being forced to play defensively regardless of character choice by a stage that makes approaching the objectively wrong choice in every situation is not.
Listen, I do not care for this thread anymore because we're talking circles around preferences, and it's a battle that the people wanting "less" have already won, and no matter how hard the other party tries, it will get nothing. It's easier to remove what's complex to understand and cater to a lazy playerbase that continues to just say "jank" as a spell to get something banned and, newsflash, they get it, no matter how much misinformed or exaggerated certain points become.

I personally find myself unable to fuel myself any longer to keep this discussion with anyone, I have gotten nothing from these discussions, and nobody ever has unless they host their own tournaments, which I will keep on doing.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
No, at least not with walkoffs.

If the walkoff is permanent, you have to approach the walkoff-camper at some point. This is your only option, which reduces the PvP interaction to whoever gets that 1 grab at the edge of the screen.

If the walkoff is only there for 10sec, there's another option: wait for 10 sec for the walkoff to go away, and then also have stage control.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ Jpot Jpot your argument would be strengthened if you explained how and why walkoffs and (circle) camping are bad things if they can only last for a few seconds at a time. Neither pose any risk at all to the passive (non-camping) party unless the timer is getting close to 0. In all other situations, the player who takes the position that is harder to approach is left in a worse position as the stage moves again. I don't think a strategy that actively works against the user can be considered truly degenerate.

@ Jaxas Jaxas while I agree with you (ie. the best thing to do against any sort of stage-related camping is to wait it out and take center stage) it is worth noting that walkoffs can come into play without either character trying to camp them, merely being hit and/or chased towards them is enough to impact the match.

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
Listen, I do not care for this thread anymore because we're talking circles around preferences, and it's a battle that the people wanting "less" have already won, and no matter how hard the other party tries, it will get nothing. It's easier to remove what's complex to understand and cater to a lazy playerbase that continues to just say "jank" as a spell to get something banned and, newsflash, they get it, no matter how much misinformed or exaggerated certain points become.
I don't think people can be considered "lazy" for wanting a slightly trimmed ruleset that caters to not only what most of the players seem to want, but for reducing what they feel are unnecessary or polarizing current legal stages. Most are quite informed on how a stage works and each little nuance within a stage. I can't help but feel in your comments since those stages were challenged that you've essentially picked one little thing he said in his lengthy post regarding camping and have said nothing else in regards to his various other problems he pointed out, which makes me assume that those points raised are indeed problems, but you just deal with them, which is fine. I'd have thought that it would generate more discussion because insight on these things are very crucial when forming a ruleset for our local weeklies and monthly tournament. Nobody here in Michigan likes Castle Siege or Halberd especially, we've talked and discussed them extensively in our Michigan Smash 4 facebook group and found out why they don't like them as competitive, tourney played stages and they're pretty legit reasons that, when taken as a whole, are clear of personal bias and should make you question things, however small or big they may be in a stage's design.
I have gotten nothing from these discussions
I honestly have because it truly brings a lot of colorful insight into things I sometimes may not have thought of, and it's good to look at these things with a very open mind.

That being said, is there anyone here that can give me an unbiased take on Castle Siege on why it should be legal? I've seen good things said that I do agree with like rewarding knowledge of the statues properties with your projectile for stage control (Ness PK Fire, Robin) and some obvious questionable things like the transitioning state allowing for grab suicides and saving characters that could and rightfully should have died. Any other takes on this stage? I have a hard time overall defending the stage, but I do some merit to it, too.

Last edited:

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93

I personally find myself unable to fuel myself any longer to keep this discussion with anyone, I have gotten nothing from these discussions, and nobody ever has unless they host their own tournaments, which I will keep on doing.
Sorry you feel that way. It strikes me as a bit disingenuous to accuse me and my camp of being lazy or unwilling to learn when I clearly just put a significant amount of effort into laying out my exact concerns with a number of stages, while the best you've come up with in response is five lines of hot pink "woe is me." I get the sense that I'm supposed to feel bad that you're frustrated based on your reputation, but I'm honestly just disappointed in the lack of actual discussion to be had. I just don't get why you're accusing me of dismissing things as "jank" and not evaluating them further, when I clearly just laid out all my thoughts in great detail, which you responded to by cherrypicking your least favorite part and dismissing the whole thing as "cringe". I'm happy that you run your own tournaments, and I encourage you to continue to do so with the ruleset that you and your players find most agreeable. I, too, TO events in my area, and will be doing the same.

As an aside, since you're a mod and all you seem like the right person to ask: I disabled colored posts sitewide since they're such an eyesore for the sake of a few special snowflakes, but it seems some users still manually add these colors to every single post, presumably to chagrin people who have attempted to disable the feature. Do you know of any way to make these posts more legible?

No, at least not with walkoffs.

If the walkoff is permanent, you have to approach the walkoff-camper at some point. This is your only option, which reduces the PvP interaction to whoever gets that 1 grab at the edge of the screen.

If the walkoff is only there for 10sec, there's another option: wait for 10 sec for the walkoff to go away, and then also have stage control.
Once again, this is the argument I attempted to anticipate in my second to last paragraph. Fifteen seconds (the length of time between transitions on Skyloft and Wuhu) is more than enough time to exploit walkoffs, and as Pazx pointed out, there are many other ways to abuse walkoffs other than waiting next to them. Furthermore, being forced to put the game on hold to wait for the stage to stop inhibiting fair competition isn't something that should be viewed as a positive.

@ Jpot Jpot your argument would be strengthened if you explained how and why walkoffs and (circle) camping are bad things if they can only last for a few seconds at a time. Neither pose any risk at all to the passive (non-camping) party unless the timer is getting close to 0. In all other situations, the player who takes the position that is harder to approach is left in a worse position as the stage moves again. I don't think a strategy that actively works against the user can be considered truly degenerate.

@ Jaxas Jaxas while I agree with you (ie. the best thing to do against any sort of stage-related camping is to wait it out and take center stage) it is worth noting that walkoffs can come into play without either character trying to camp them, merely being hit and/or chased towards them is enough to impact the match.
Thanks for the feedback! Again, walkoffs and circle camping are still bad, even if only for short periods of time, because the best case scenario is that both players stop playing the game for a while and wait for the stage to transition to a better layout. The stage should not force players to stop playing in order to circumvent a poor competitive environment. As you pointed out in your reply to Jaxas, there are many ways for walkoffs to negatively affect a match that don't involve one player camping them. The most realistic example would be getting faired to death by Sheik, literally across the entire stage into the blast zone, because she's not limited by her number of jumps.

Last edited:

Illuminose

Smash Ace
there are no wall infinites in smash 4

all the rest of your points are accurate, but please don't make this a discussion point

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Thanks for the feedback! Again, walkoffs and circle camping are still bad, even if only for short periods of time, because the best case scenario is that both players stop playing the game for a while and wait for the stage to transition to a better layout. The stage should not force players to stop playing in order to circumvent a poor competitive environment. As you pointed out in your reply to Jaxas, there are many ways for walkoffs to negatively affect a match that don't involve one player camping them. The most realistic example would be getting faired to death by Sheik, literally across the entire stage into the blast zone, because she's not limited by her number of jumps.
I don't believe the best case scenario is to wait for 10-15 seconds though. If player A ends up retreating to the walkoff or to a better camping position at transformations then the optimal decision for player B is to take stage control. I can only think of a few transformations where taking the lower ground doesn't result in putting yourself dangerously close(r) to the blast zone, namely the "∩" shaped ones like the Shine Gate, Fountain, and the Knight Academy. These are the only transformations that actually get waited out in normal play for a pretty significant reason: If player B isn't biting and doesn't approach these hard-to-approach positions like the walkoffs then the optimal decision for player A is no longer to camp, ie. to approach. Obviously the exception is playing for a timeout, but that reflects more on the out of game % win ruling than the stage itself.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
This is a bit off topic, but when discussing stage legality anywhere (as in not just in this thread) can we refrain from using insults as arguments. This isn't about this thread at all, but when I was trying to discuss legal stages at my local the guy debating me was like "oh Wuhu can't be legal because it has walk-offs." So I explained how to counter walk-off camping and he said that's not the issue. I asked what his problems with walk-offs were then and he was like "if you don't understand why walk-offs are a problem you're an idiot." Then everyone around basically ganged up with him and called me stupid and said I don't have the right to be debating legal stages. Like if we see this behavior coming from either side of the debate, can we just tell people to not be jerks about each others beliefs. Like all it does is make no productive discussion happen and potentially lead to bad rulings, but it also makes our community look bad and make people feel bad.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
@ Jpot Jpot

I suspect there's simply two ways of going about stage legality. On the one hand you have people such as yourself for whom the stage is basically window dressing; at best, you may have to worry about a moving platform or something. While it's fairly obvious that every stage influences every matchup to some degree or other, these people consider that to be a secondary concern to simply not having to devote much if any mental energy to the stage itself.

Meanwhile you have people like me (and presumably kyokoro, and I know there are others) to whom the stage is almost a third player in the matchup, deserving of all the respect that implies. While I make no secret of the fact that I lack much practical experience (although now that I have a local scene I'm working on that), I can at least in theory talk about how Wuhu Island is very horizontal, how Castle Siege is no bueno for projectile characters, and so forth. As long as the stage is not inherently broken (i.e. Pyrosphere or Temple), these people think it should at least be given a shot.

Unfortunately, a) the first group seems to be much larger, or at least much louder, than the second, b) the first group is the status quo and thus has the advantage since the Smash community at large seems to be very conservative, and c) I'm not sure there's really a way to bridge the two in a way that's acceptable to both parties.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
@ Jpot Jpot

I suspect there's simply two ways of going about stage legality. On the one hand you have people such as yourself for whom the stage is basically window dressing; at best, you may have to worry about a moving platform or something. While it's fairly obvious that every stage influences every matchup to some degree or other, these people consider that to be a secondary concern to simply not having to devote much if any mental energy to the stage itself.

Meanwhile you have people like me (and presumably kyokoro, and I know there are others) to whom the stage is almost a third player in the matchup, deserving of all the respect that implies. While I make no secret of the fact that I lack much practical experience (although now that I have a local scene I'm working on that), I can at least in theory talk about how Wuhu Island is very horizontal, how Castle Siege is no bueno for projectile characters, and so forth. As long as the stage is not inherently broken (i.e. Pyrosphere or Temple), these people think it should at least be given a shot.

Unfortunately, a) the first group seems to be much larger, or at least much louder, than the second, b) the first group is the status quo and thus has the advantage since the Smash community at large seems to be very conservative, and c) I'm not sure there's really a way to bridge the two in a way that's acceptable to both parties.
I'm currently deep into discussions just like that with the German community and it took me a while to understand/accept that people with opinion a aren't wrong since it's a question of perspective. Both are reasonable, but it still saddens me since I'm a huge member of opinion b.
Well as long as I have to say anything in my region, we will run 13 stages with FLSS at least, but I fear if you don't do it yourself there isn't much you can do at all.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
@ Jpot Jpot

I think you hit the nail on the head with the communication gap between the two camps, and I thank you for doing so. It will help me better understand how to articulate my points in discussions like this in the future. It's becoming clear to me that my post was less useful than I thought, because I and other smashers seem to disagree on at least a few of the assumptions I listed at the start of the post.

That said, I actually don't have any problem at all with having to devote a fair amount of mental energy to the stage I'm playing on. Duck Hunt is my favorite competitive stage not just because I love the styling and its source material, but because I think it's really cool that players can be rewarded for understanding exactly how it works, when the grass cycles, how to exploit the grass, the timing and placement of the dog, etc. The laser and bombs on Halberd are actually my favorite features of the stage, simply because they can be exploited effectively by smart players - I love when the laser targets me, because if I can get my opponent far enough offstage, I can drop it right on the ledgesnap sweetspot and make recovery very difficult. That said, I have lots of other issues with that stage, but that's a story for another post.

Also, people seem to really be focusing on a few select points I made in regards to various stages. I think we can all agree that obvious bugs aren't good for a competitive stage, and Peach's Castle has several. Skyloft is especially broken in this regard, as it has a whole host of bugs that show no sign of being patched out. I just don't see how TOs could be okay with those influencing the outcome of a match.

I understand everyone's point about camping walkoffs resulting in a loss of stage control when the stage transitions. I perhaps should not have focused on the negatives of "camping" walkoffs so much as the other problems they create. As I mentioned before, Sheik can fair her opponents all the way into the blast zone for a zero-to-death on just about any character, and that doesn't require camping the edge or sacrificing stage control. Other characters with fast moves and a lack of multiple jumps may gain a similarly excessive amount of combo kill ability on walkoff transformations, and characters with poor recovery can recover from hits that they otherwise shouldn't.

Ultimately, excessive interference from the stage is, in my opinion, undesirable in competition. The majority of tournaments are held with the goal of determining which player can most effectively outsmart and beat other players, not which player is most effective in maneuvering the stage. The beauty of competitive fighting games is the constant mental battle between the opponents, both struggling to find one another's weaknesses, patterns, and predictable behavior, while minimizing their own. Resetting to neutral on a regular basis, devoting mental energy to avoiding stage hazards, and characters being granted advantages that reward them in ways that aren't proportional to the small mental victory won over an opponent in a given situation are detrimental to this goal. I'd rather players have as much brainpower as possible to devote to their matchup with their opponent, and forcing them to devote brainpower to navigating non-player elements only detracts from that. If we wanted to devote time to determining who's the most efficient in navigating non-player elements, we'd be speedrunning platformers instead.

To go back to the Halberd laser, I think that's a great example of the stage adding, not detracting, from the depth of a competitive matchup. I think interactive elements can awesome when applied correctly. Unfortunately, there aren't many in this game that aren't on stages that have a number of other problems.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I've noticed that when it comes to a lot of stages that are deemed fine by stage liberals and not fine by the conservative side, a large amount of the 'not fine' comes from camping and camp potential. Camping is going to happen one way or another with certain characters simply because the way they are designed but with the conservative side they seem to want more stages that encourage offensive play rather than defense and camping. Walks offs, whether they're temporary or not, certain transformations, the irony of a statue that blocks projectiles promoting camping etc. I'm wondering if this stems from the issues Brawl had where camping and defensive play were pretty much the whole game and since this game has at least some offensive potential, if people want as much of that to be used as possible by having the stage list support it.

It could also stem from Sm4sh having a lot more camping characters than other Smash games (even though camping itself is generally weaker than what Brawl had) and obviously a conservatives stage list wouldn't completely get rid of camping since it can happen on any stage and the likes of FD and DH are generally accepted and tend to promote camping.

As a stage liberal and an inexperienced one at that, this is just my attempt at looking at the situation from a conservatives side or at least part of the situation. Halberd for example, doesn't really promote camping but the hazards and low ceiling cause other issues for conservatives. There's also the matter of shaping the stage list to give the top tiers as few easy wins as possible such as Sheik getting fair strings off any walkoff. Brawl had a similar case with MK right? Stages like Brinstar were banned to try and make MK more manageable (among other reasons) and in turn made the likes of ICies more threatening.

tl;dr as a liberal trying to see things from a conservative point of view, stages tend to want to be banned to trim down on camping without outright getting rid of it and to try to keep the top tiers from getting easy wins by giving them fewer good stages (good for said top tiers) to work with. Do I have that right or at least part of it?

dav3yb

Smash Journeyman
Well i hope not to hear from some here about delfino being legal, because several of the points made about other stages can easily apply to it as well.

Regarding peaches castle, i don't think ive seen it even given a chance, and, bugs aside, banning something with perceived issues that might be good for counter pick with certain characters should be given a fair shot.

It seems like to me, if we're ever going to see more than 5 or 7 legal stages, according to most people's criteria, we'll have to use custom stages. which im personally all for.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Well i hope not to hear from some here about delfino being legal, because several of the points made about other stages can easily apply to it as well.

Regarding peaches castle, i don't think ive seen it even given a chance, and, bugs aside, banning something with perceived issues that might be good for counter pick with certain characters should be given a fair shot.

It seems like to me, if we're ever going to see more than 5 or 7 legal stages, according to most people's criteria, we'll have to use custom stages. which im personally all for.
I am at this point convinced that Peach's Castle is a good stage.
My biggest issue, the ramps, have proven to (thanks to the camera) rescue people about as much as they kill people slightly prematurely.

Last edited:

jcx

Smash Journeyman

I'm indifferent about Peach's. But horizontal KOs will be heavily favored, since the ramps and the bumper are there. It's better than it was in Smash 64, though, since the bottom platform FINALLY has ledge grabs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom