• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Discussion

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
At what point would there be enough stages to warrant their own sub-forums?

In anycase, the stages we're missing are (based on characters)

Donkey Kong Stages
Pokemon stages
Kirby Stages
3DS Metroid Stage
Star Fox Stages
WiiU Fire Emblem Stage
WiiU Kid Icarus Stage
3DS Pikmin Stage (even though there was never a portable Pikmin game)
3DS Mega Man stage
3DS Wii Fit Stage (unless they base it off that walking game)
3DS Animal Crossing Stage
3DS Sonic the Hedgehog Stage

So at least 16 stages to come.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I'm kinda worried about new stages this time around. I don't Sakurai making a few of them in total with the excuse that he had to make two different versions.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm kinda worried about new stages this time around. I don't Sakurai making a few of them in total with the excuse that he had to make two different versions.
We should at least expect every franchise to get one stage for both versions, which alone would be 28 for both versions (14 for Wii U and 14 for 3DS). That's not counting stuff like the Pilotwings and Nintendogs stages.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
We should at least expect every franchise to get one stage for both versions, which alone would be 28 for both versions (14 for Wii U and 14 for 3DS). That's not counting stuff like the Pilotwings and Nintendogs stages.
I don't think Wii Fit will get a stage for 3DS to be honest. And I'm afraid games like Kid Icarus: Uprising won't get a WiiU stage and even Dark Moon. I'm worried Sakurai is just going to put Underworld and Luigi's Mansion from Brawl as substitutes.

I gotta be honest I don't like all this "exclusive stages" deal. I think they should be like 5 or 10 each tops, and the rest should be the same for both versions. Also, many 3DS stages seem pretty boring (Nintendogs and Gerudo Valley for example).

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Considering how well it did, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a stage based around a setting in Pokemon X/Y. Presumably for the 3DS while both versions get the standard Pokemon stadium updated with a Fairy type phase among others.
The 3DS stage might be where Lysandre is last fought, or maybe Lumoise City considering how important and visually impressive it was in the game?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Steel Diver level

Name: The Steel Diver
Console: 3DS
Hazards: Torpedoes and the gravity will become lighter while underwater
Bio: The battle takes place atop of the 03 Steel Diver Blue Shark. The submarine will submerge underwater and the players will now be fighting underwater. However, enemy ships and subs will attack the Blue Shark.

Music:
Main Theme
*Insert any other Steel Diver music here since i can't find anything else besides the main theme*
Prayer (Endless Ocean Main Theme)
Dire Dire Docks
Underwater Exploration (Mario Sunshine)
Koopa Troopa Beach (Mario Kart 64)
Water Temple (Ocarina of Time)
Aqua Tunnel (Stunt Race FX)
Underwater Theme (Brawl)

solitonmedic

Potassium, potassium
NNID
Dantel
Has it ever accorded to people about that one boxing ring stage looks like PO Wii's Major Circuit? I don't mean to hype, but does this mean...? *hint hint wink nudge nudge*

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like a Warioware DIY stage would be cool.
Kind of like a new Pictochat, there is a 4th wall guy making a game while you fight during the process.

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I was thinking today there should be a page of stages exclusive to Smash 4, this will obviously be the most filled section with stages.

Then a Brawl stage page, that has 10 or so stages exclusive from Brawl
A Melee page, with 5 stages exclusive from Melee
and finally a Smash 64 page, with 3 stages from Smash 64.

I just really want Fourside, Fountain of Dreams, Temple, and the N64 Green Greens to come back lol

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I was thinking today there should be a page of stages exclusive to Smash 4, this will obviously be the most filled section with stages.

Then a Brawl stage page, that has 10 or so stages exclusive from Brawl
A Melee page, with 5 stages exclusive from Melee
and finally a Smash 64 page, with 3 stages from Smash 64.

I just really want Fourside, Fountain of Dreams, Temple, and the N64 Green Greens to come back lol
Pages are pretty useless if they contain so few stages.
Two pages are enough: one for the new ones, one for the retros (even though I'd put 'em all together just because).

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Two more Stage ideas!

Bramble Blast

Lovely stage againist competitive players, with light filtering through the vines as in this, with the stage starting during the day and then slowly turning into a sunset stage as the match goes by...so beautiful, if this wouldn't put a tear in your eye, nothing could.

Temporal Tower

Epic stage from the PMD series, and where the climax of the story takes place, this would add both an amazing stage and some awesome music tracks to the game!

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think every franchise with playable characters will have stages on both versions, so that every character gets a home stage in both versions.

There would also be equivalent stages between versions. Taking the Zelda series as an example: the Wii U version gets Skyloft and a possible Wind Waker HD stage, while the 3DS has Gerudo Valley and Spirit Train. Some franchises would only be represented in one version, such as Nintendogs, being exclusive to the 3DS version.

Considering that Sakurai stated there would be stages present in both version, such as Battlefield, I think it's plausible for Windy Hill and the Wii Fit stage to fall into this category. An hypothetical example for the EarthBound series, especially if Ness and Lucas both return: the Wii U version would have a stage from EarthBound, while the 3DS version would get a Mother 3 stage.

Of course, this is just a theory and I'm speculating, but I think it would be an interesting possibility.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I think a Captain Rainbow stage would be appropriate to have. Something that tours around Mimin Island.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
Some people have suggested Hades being a playable character or a boss

But he should totally be a stage

He could make witty remarks when something happens, like a character getting KO'd
Just reposting since I don't think my amazing idea got the recognition it deserves

ryuu seika

Smash Master
@D-idara: Not sure what you mean by "against competitive players" but, from that image atleast, I could see it being like an FD variant with an awkwardly shaped spiky ceiling that caused high velocity rebounds like those from the bumper items. Of course, it could be something more varied but I, for one, would find that an interesting stage design and, were your varying sunlight background implemented, it might be the first bramble stage in any gamer that I actively wanted to play.

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
I think that every character should get their own stage, and every franchise should get its own

Lets say the mario franchise has 4 character. It would have 5 stages, one for mairo, one for luigi, one for bowser and one for peach. It would also get a 5th miscellaneous stage.

So a franchise with 1 character would have 2 stages.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Let's talk Rhythm Heaven Stage
Every time this is brought up, someone has to say "time your hits to the music"
However, that doesn't really work and I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to program.
I think a better alternative would be to make it a layout-switching stage, very similar to the remix levels in Rhythm Heaven

RhythmRemix
Rhythm Remix, as a stage, would function very similarly to Flatzone 2 and Castle Siege, but with a twist. There are a load of different level layouts, and there is no set order.
When the stage first begins you always start on Karate Joe's flat level, and functionally it's identical to Final Destination. However, when it comes time to change, two exclamation points will flicker in a corner to the beat of the music, a girl will shout "1, 2, 3, 4", and one of the eight other layouts are chosen entirely at random.
[collapse=Layout Explanations]From the top left:
Hole in One has you on the island in the background. The only platforms are the leaves of the tree and the island itself, water surrounds both sides
Screwbot Factory is a flat plane with a walk-off edge on the left. The conveyor belt moves toward the left, so you always have to be on the move.
Working Dough is a flat plane with three platforms above, very similar in layout to Mario Circuit. Metal orbs will rush above as well.
Built to Scale is viewed from the side, with you walking on the same pane as the white line. There is a wall on the left but pits on either side. Occasionally a block will pop out from the right as an extra platform
Air Rally has you fighting on the two planes, similar to the Pilotwings level. Sometimes the plane on the right will move into the background, leaving only one to fight on.
Ringside has you fighting on the exterior of the Rhythm Arena, with the ground, awning, and roof as platforms.
Samurai Slice gives you one platform on the left, with a wall of vines on both the left and right. Only vertical KO's are possible.
Karate Man is a flat plane like final destination, with pits on either side as well.
Bossa Nova is a single cloud platform that rises, with branches from the left and right coming down as platforms.[/collapse]
It's pretty much Pokemon Stadium, but with no inbetween phase, and yet another twist.
Depending on the music track selected, the speed that the level transforms at changes. Here are a few of the music choices, and how fast it causes the level to change.

Remix Smash - This track is special in particular because it matches whichever layout is currently active, and smoothly transitions between whichever is coming up next. Each of the songs are fixed to play at the same beat, and the layouts last for 30 seconds each. The exception is the Karate Man layout, which acts as an introductory period and only gets 10 seconds.
Lonely Storm (Japanese)/(English) - These two songs are much more generous in time, and give 42 seconds per level layout, which is familiar to those who have played Castle Siege.
Wish - Can't Wait for You - This track is only slightly different from Remix Smash, in which it gives every layout 30 seconds including the introductory Karate Man level.
Rhythm Title Medley - More hectic matches will result from choosing this one, because each layout will last only 20 seconds each.
Remix 10 - For the particularly daring, this one will test reaction time. The level layout will change every time the music switches between minigames. This will cause some layouts to last longer than others, while others may only get five seconds or less before the level changes.

I believe this is probably the best way to capture the feeling of the Rhythm Heaven games while still making the level playable and easy to understand. I can't really see a character happening, but if a level similar to this gets in, I will be equally satisfied.
Also, there shouldn't be too much worry about this one level taking up a lot of space, considering most of these levels are simple geometric shapes and practically 1x1 textures.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
^ That would be so cute. Are you picturing just change in stage layouts or also hazards in some of the layouts too?

I would LOVE a Paper Mario stage. Characters could be 2-D like Flat Zone!

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
^ That would be so cute. Are you picturing just change in stage layouts or also hazards in some of the layouts too?

I would LOVE a Paper Mario stage. Characters could be 2-D like Flat Zone!
There could be hazards in them like the Working Dough stage but the layouts change so fast I think it would be more of a burden to include them.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I hope they don't follow the "Stage where you found the legendary in last Pokémon game" because we'd get that awful underground laboratory where you fin Xerneas and Yveltal.

Not likely since Xerneas is confirmed as a Pokeball summon already.

A stage based on N's castle that featured Reshiram/Zekrom would be amazing though.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Not likely since Xerneas is confirmed as a Pokeball summon already.

A stage based on N's castle that featured Reshiram/Zekrom would be amazing though.
Yeah haven't thought about it.
N's castle would indeed be pretty cool, but I'd also like recognition for the titles for the Gamecube. They were cool.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Weren't the Gamecube games developed by not-Gamefreak.

I think it was Genius Sorority or something like that who developed Colosseum and XD. Which definitely makes it tougher to get permission to use content from. Which sucks because Mirror B.'s theme was the best.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Weren't the Gamecube games developed by not-Gamefreak.

I think it was Genius Sorority or something like that who developed Colosseum and XD. Which definitely makes it tougher to get permission to use content from. Which sucks because Mirror B.'s theme was the best.
Isn't Genius Sonority second party too? And anyway whatever they created it's still Gamefreak's (and Nintendo's) property so it shouldn't be harder than getting other Pokémon elements for Sm4sh.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Let's talk Rhythm Heaven Stage
Every time this is brought up, someone has to say "time your hits to the music"
However, that doesn't really work and I'm pretty sure it would be impossible to program.
I don't see why. Just have the time of the beats recorded as part of the stage and give hits a damage bonus of +3/+1/-2, to a minimum of one, for on/near/off beat. Make a small bonus notifier come up along with it and perhaps have the music visually reflected in the stage (I've not played the game but I'm sure I saw something like that in your pics).​

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
@D-idara: Not sure what you mean by "against competitive players" but, from that image atleast, I could see it being like an FD variant with an awkwardly shaped spiky ceiling that caused high velocity rebounds like those from the bumper items. Of course, it could be something more varied but I, for one, would find that an interesting stage design and, were your varying sunlight background implemented, it might be the first bramble stage in any gamer that I actively wanted to play.

I'd add something like spinning barrels on the sides, and you can hop into those barrels and use them to throw yourself as a high-knockback projectile towards your enemies...but you've got to admit that filtering sunlight would make the stage an amazing experience just with that.

And I wouldn't mind the Yveltal/Xerneas laboratory if it changed to the battle scenarios of both Pokemon (Space/Blackhole for Yveltal, Forest for Xerneas)

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
For the N's Castle idea, do you think there'd be a Golett/Golurk stage hazard? Accidentally think you're a Team Plasma member and just hit you with Shadow Punch or some other Ghost move with average damage but medium-high knockback?

Top Bottom