• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I went ahead and made a list of stages in approximate order of how "neutral" they are for a standard 1v1 tournament. When making this list, I was considering the following things: (A) how fair it is to all characters. (B) how "stupid" the stage is... i.e. how likely it is that the stage will kill a player OR save them when they would die on another stage (the "cave of life" clause). (C) walkoffs... I'm mixed on this one, but I do feel that walk-offs promote degenerate play and remove one of the most interesting interactions in Smash (edgeguarding), so I biased the list heavily against all permanent walkoffs. (D) tournament timing... this is actually a huge one for me. We don't want matches timing out every game, so big stages or camping-friendly stages should be looked at skeptically.

Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64
Town and City
Duck Hunt
Castle Siege
Skyloft
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Wuhu Island

Luigi's Mansion (destroyable caves of life. mildly one-sided toward/against some chars)
Windy Hill Zone (similar to wooly. Big stage with a bit of stupid in the asymmetry, gravity, and springs)
Mario Circuit (Pretty fair but toeing that stupid line with stage kills, ceiling, etc)
Garden of Hope (easily avoidable crab, destructible terrain doesn't do much. Only issue I see is the dropping platforms)
Pokémon Stadium 2 (technically fair. That wind transformation completely changes the match however, which I dislike)
Norfair (predictable hazards, multiple grabbable ledges, and camping is promoted)
Woolly World
(big stage with walkoffs, dropping platforms, caves of life, etc. Technically fair but somewhat dumb)
Mushroom Kingdom U (Nabbit is stupidly annoying. The spiny fish can kill. I just can't see a serious match here)
Orbital Gate Assault (More hazards than most stages, strange platform layouts. Transitions can screw certain chars)

Kalos Pokémon League (I actually consider this stage fair... but the hazards and metal just tip the 'dumb' scale)
Pilotwings (I was on the fence about the cave hitting you... the camping makes it pretty bad)
Wrecking Crew (Circle camping galore... otherwise I like the stage)
Big Battlefield (I really don't think this is viable or necessary for a 1v1... too big, campy, etc)
Skyworld (Cave of life... no edges when destroyed... other random hijinks, etc)
Port Town Aero Dive ("alright I'm winning!" Invisible car hit > dead... : / )

Mario Galaxy (Permanent walkoff and very big)
Coliseum (Permanent walkoff and very big)
Boxing Ring (Permanent walkoff, light camping, and very big)
Wii Fit Studio (Permanent walkoff and big)
Gamer (Mom = random and OP)
Onett (Permanent walkoff and car shenanigans)
Yoshi's Island (Permanent walkoff and spin block/hill shenanigans)
Bridge of Eldin (Permanent walkoff and super campy)
Mario Circuit (Brawl) (Permanent walkoff and kart shenanigans)
Pac-Land (Permanent scrolling walkoff and just annoying in general)
Flat Zone X (Permanent walkoff and stage hates you)
Gaur Plain (Permanent walkoff and you hate stage)
Wily Castle (would be great if yellow devil weren't around)
Pyrosphere (I seriously....seriously wish I could make a case for this stage to be legal)
Temple
Jungle Hijinxs
75m
Palutena's Temple
The Great Cave Offensive

ok so a few notes on this list. If it wasn't obvious, green = little reason to ban ever, yellow has potential, orange has less potential, and red is lol

Yes I consider KJ64 more neutral than T&C and Duck Hunt, especially when you consider that Smashville is going to be a neutral always. KJ64 has a lasting negative bias for being too big but that's actually a mostly non-issue in this game, and T&C is arguably as big/camp-friendly. The valid arguments against KJ64 are the pass-thru floor and barrel, but I also don't find these unfair. When you consider a striking process, I would rather have to strike KJ64 than have to strike Smashville AND T&C if you don't like that format. I would be fine with T&C moving ahead of KJ64 but I don't believe it should.
I don't think Duck Hunt should be a starter... the stage is fair, but the dog screws up landings/punishments, the platforms are asymmetrical, etc... I think it's a great CP... not a starter.

Of the 3 "flying platform" stages (Delfino, Skyloft, Wuhu), I find Skyloft to be the most fair. I don't like water in general (changes the game completely) and Delfino can really screw you for landing in it. Skyloft doesn't really have that, imo. It has some walkoffs (both others do too) but the transforms are REALLY quick so it doesn't really matter. Wuhu is fine too, but the boat can kill you, etc so it's a spot below Delfino.

With the transformation between phases going quicker, I don't find a single reason to ban Castle Siege. yes the stage saves people from time to time (not like you can't just run and hit them again), but it's super fair and interesting in most matchups. I also don't see any reason to ban Halberd... it has the same issues and uses that it did in Brawl and that's fine, imo.

All of the yellow stages are in pretty random order. It's hard to say which of these is more or less fair. Imo, there are viable reasons to allow/ban all of these stages, so I think it has to come down to preference. The order I have them listed is probably the order that I would personally allow them in a tourney that I ran. I do still find PS2 disruptive. While it's fair, the wind or conveyor transforms pop up, and whatever you were doing, you have to change. It creates a 'worst case' scenario where you were dominating in neutral, wind up in the air when the wind transform starts.... and can't ever get down. Norfair I'm actually ok with, but it definitely promotes camping and leads to long games.

imo, all of the orange stages have obvious bannable issues, and they are going to be inevitably banned eventually whatever we do here. It sucks because I REALLY like the first 3 I have listed... I just don't think they should be allowed.
All the red stages should be unsurprising, considering my aforementioned bias against walkoffs. Seriously though, #legalizePyrosphere

EDIT: I also want to look into the Omega forms. Since they have some serious differences (grass traction, wall-jumpable walls, forms/cut-outs), I think it would be valuable to have a list of up to 5-6 legal Omegas that can be used instead of FD (maybe allowing opponent to ban walls, etc)

Minor update on 12/2 to change the order on some yellow/orange stages. Notable change is moving Mushroom Kingdom U to yellow... think we should probably revisit that some.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Totally unobjectionable, nothing of substance at all, any disagreements are objectively wrong? Regardless of whether or not you agree with them, you can't deny that there are some complaints to be made:
Alright time to go through all this...

On every other stage, that MK would have just plain died more then likely from such a low spike. At least there was the chance to come back if ADHD messed up. Also, this is why you need STAGE KNOWLEDGE. Look how ADHD knew what to do in that situation. It goes to show if you study a stage you can do amazing things with it.

Kongo Jungle 64: Well, it was banned in Melee for easy camping as some characters can't reach the top very easily. Now that may or may not be a problem again, might as well test it to find out, but it's possible. Just making a note of it. I could see it being unplayable for Little Mac.
I do not plan on banning a stage ever for Little Mac. From personal experience he can still fight there, but either way he is a VERY unique character. If you start taking out every stage Little Mac is bad on our tier list is gonna skew in insane way.

Skyloft: Temporary walkoffs and walls. You can argue that temporary makes them fine, and I'm not gonna rehash that whole argument for the dozenth time, but you should at least be able to acknowledge that there is an argument to be had here. Also, 15 seconds per transformation, air and ground, is very fast and sudden, has you moving around too much.

Wuhu Island: See Skyloft, plus swimming.
"Moving around too much." How is that defined? What is moving around too little? What is moving around just enough? There's no way you can actually define that enough to make a ban or something of any kind.

Plus, people like to forget the majority of the match is played on a good platform floating around. If you compare the amount of time on "bad" transformations to the time you could spend on bad transformations on Pokemon Stadium 1 the time is almost exactly equal. So if you think PS1 isn't too disruptive with some of it's transformations, these stages aren't so bad with their landing spots.

Halberd: Uh, a bigass cannon sniping at you the whole time?
I personally don't care for Halberd, but the hazards are incredibly choreographed. It is SO easy to know when they are coming and avoid them.

Castle Siege: On the flipside from Skyloft, a walkoff that lasts an entire 40 seconds + load times (does it still load midmatch like in Brawl?). Now that's too long.
This stage plays JUST fine. The large majority of the stage is again of perfectly playable stages, and with chain grabs gone the second transformation is even more tame now then ever before.

Windy Hill: Weird gravity changes how geometry works. Things are essentially farther apart higher up. This can throw off some combos, followups, and setups. Also, some projectiles don't follow the curvature, like Thoron. Having a stage that changes entire game mechanics and disrupts physics is really bad IMO.

Also, wasn't Pilotwings more or less declared dead after it became clear how easy it was to stall?
I'm 100% for Pilotwings being banned. Stalling there really is way too powerful for this stage to ever be legal.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Totally unobjectionable, nothing of substance at all, any disagreements are objectively wrong? Regardless of whether or not you agree with them, you can't deny that there are some complaints to be made:

Delfino: Just look at this silliness and tell me there's nothing I'm allowed to object to.

Kongo Jungle 64: Well, it was banned in Melee for easy camping as some characters can't reach the top very easily. Now that may or may not be a problem again, might as well test it to find out, but it's possible. Just making a note of it. I could see it being unplayable for Little Mac.

Skyloft: Temporary walkoffs and walls. You can argue that temporary makes them fine, and I'm not gonna rehash that whole argument for the dozenth time, but you should at least be able to acknowledge that there is an argument to be had here. Also, 15 seconds per transformation, air and ground, is very fast and sudden, has you moving around too much.

Halberd: Uh, a bigass cannon sniping at you the whole time?

Castle Siege: On the flipside from Skyloft, a walkoff that lasts an entire 40 seconds + load times (does it still load midmatch like in Brawl?). Now that's too long.

Wuhu Island: See Skyloft, plus swimming.

Windy Hill: Weird gravity changes how geometry works. Things are essentially farther apart higher up. This can throw off some combos, followups, and setups. Also, some projectiles don't follow the curvature, like Thoron. Having a stage that changes entire game mechanics and disrupts physics is really bad IMO.

Also, wasn't Pilotwings more or less declared dead after it became clear how easy it was to stall?
Delfino - I assume its MK getting drowned by Diddy. Diddy was being resourceful. If your opponent can use water against and you can't handle it, its your laziness or lack of skill.

Kongo Jungle 64 - Little Mac can access all of the stage. and we've never banned a stage for a character being too bad on it.

Skyloft - You're arguments have been there's walk-offs and walls. Temporary is fine since they cannot be abused in the time that presents it. Again if its too fast for you thats your problem.

Halberd - The cannon fires once every two (or is it 4) minutes, that's not the whole time and it stops following you 5 seconds before it shoots. If you can't avoid it, again thats your fault.

Castle Siege - If it was fine in Brawl where walk-offs could be abused from anywhere on the stage, its fine now that walk-offs are better. You can make solid arguments for permanent walk-offs, but apparently permanent still don't work. I wouldn't mind seeing a testing tournament just to get video evidence to show new players of them being abused.

Wuhu Island - See Skyloft and Delphino

Windy Hill Zone - Like I said, if you can't deal with the different gravity thats your fault. Thoron is the only one that doesn't follow the gravity, and you could use that to your advantage if you're good.

Pilotwings is banned because of camping under the wings.

Also for Orbital Gate Assault (that some people were mentioning) - there are actually only 5 hazards and they are extremely easy to avoid. If this stage gets banned, it should be for powerful camping spots on some transformations, not for hazards or transformations (I can recover from the bottom of the missile to the forward facing Arwings as little mac, and you can keep up by standing still). I would like to see it in some Science Testing Tournament like there was for the 3DS.

Also I'm going to get a little mean here, but I don't know if I can take any argument you make seriously because of how immature you act on the subreddit. You've used "And you want items legal too" as a counterargument to me at least 3 times, and other ridiculous statements like "Oh you think Town and City is the same as Final Destination" and "Wow you want 75m and Pyrosphere legal" just to make me seem like an idiot, when I clearly state why all those stages are banned, or why items are banned. You just make excuses on why you can't handle stages, and if you can't then just forfeit every match on them and win on the starter and your counterpick.

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
I went ahead and made a list of stages in approximate order of how "neutral" they are for a standard 1v1 tournament. When making this list, I was considering the following things: (A) how fair it is to all characters. (B) how "stupid" the stage is... i.e. how likely it is that the stage will kill a player OR save them when they would die on another stage (the "cave of life" clause). (C) walkoffs... I'm mixed on this one, but I do feel that walk-offs promote degenerate play and remove one of the most interesting interactions in Smash (edgeguarding), so I biased the list heavily against all permanent walkoffs. (D) tournament timing... this is actually a huge one for me. We don't want matches timing out every game, so big stages or camping-friendly stages should be looked at skeptically.

Smashville
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Kongo Jungle 64
Town and City
Duck Hunt
Castle Siege
Skyloft
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Wuhu Island

Luigi's Mansion (destroyable caves of life. mildly one-sided toward/against some chars)
Garden of Hope (easily avoidable crab, destructible terrain doesn't do much. Only issue I see is the dropping platforms)
Mario Circuit (Pretty fair but toeing that stupid line with stage kills, ceiling, etc)
Woolly World (big stage with walkoffs, dropping platforms, caves of life, etc. Technically fair but somewhat dumb)
Windy Hill Zone (similar to wooly. Big stage with a bit of stupid in the asymmetry, gravity, and springs)
Pokémon Stadium 2 (technically fair. That wind transformation completely changes the match however, which I dislike)
Norfair (predictable hazards, multiple grabbable ledges, and camping is promoted)

Orbital Gate Assault (More hazards than most stages, strange platform layouts. Transitions can screw certain chars)
Kalos Pokémon League (I actually consider this stage fair... but the hazards and metal just tip the 'dumb' scale)
Mushroom Kingdom U (Nabbit is stupidly annoying. The spiny fish can kill. I just can't see a serious match here)
Pilotwings (I was on the fence about the cave hitting you... the camping makes it pretty bad)
Wrecking Crew (Circle camping galore... otherwise I like the stage)
Big Battlefield (I really don't think this is viable or necessary for a 1v1... too big, campy, etc)
Skyworld (Cave of life... no edges when destroyed... other random hijinks, etc)
Port Town Aero Dive ("alright I'm winning!" Invisible car hit > dead... : / )

Mario Galaxy (Permanent walkoff and very big)
Coliseum (Permanent walkoff and very big)
Boxing Ring (Permanent walkoff, light camping, and very big)
Wii Fit Studio (Permanent walkoff and big)
Gamer (Mom = random and OP)
Onett (Permanent walkoff and car shenanigans)
Yoshi's Island (Permanent walkoff and spin block/hill shenanigans)
Bridge of Eldin (Permanent walkoff and super campy)
Mario Circuit (Brawl) (Permanent walkoff and kart shenanigans)
Pac-Land (Permanent scrolling walkoff and just annoying in general)
Flat Zone X (Permanent walkoff and stage hates you)
Gaur Plain (Permanent walkoff and you hate stage)
Wily Castle (would be great if yellow devil weren't around)
Pyrosphere (I seriously....seriously wish I could make a case for this stage to be legal)
Temple
Jungle Hijinxs
75m
Palutena's Temple
The Great Cave Offensive

ok so a few notes on this list. If it wasn't obvious, green = little reason to ban ever, yellow has potential, orange has less potential, and red is lol

Yes I consider KJ64 more neutral than T&C and Duck Hunt, especially when you consider that Smashville is going to be a neutral always. KJ64 has a lasting negative bias for being too big but that's actually a mostly non-issue in this game, and T&C is arguably as big/camp-friendly. The valid arguments against KJ64 are the pass-thru floor and barrel, but I also don't find these unfair. When you consider a striking process, I would rather have to strike KJ64 than have to strike Smashville AND T&C if you don't like that format. I would be fine with T&C moving ahead of KJ64 but I don't believe it should.
I don't think Duck Hunt should be a starter... the stage is fair, but the dog screws up landings/punishments, the platforms are asymmetrical, etc... I think it's a great CP... not a starter.

Of the 3 "flying platform" stages (Delfino, Skyloft, Wuhu), I find Skyloft to be the most fair. I don't like water in general (changes the game completely) and Delfino can really screw you for landing in it. Skyloft doesn't really have that, imo. It has some walkoffs (both others do too) but the transforms are REALLY quick so it doesn't really matter. Wuhu is fine too, but the boat can kill you, etc so it's a spot below Delfino.

With the transformation between phases going quicker, I don't find a single reason to ban Castle Siege. yes the stage saves people from time to time (not like you can't just run and hit them again), but it's super fair and interesting in most matchups. I also don't see any reason to ban Halberd... it has the same issues and uses that it did in Brawl and that's fine, imo.

All of the yellow stages are in pretty random order. It's hard to say which of these is more or less fair. Imo, there are viable reasons to allow/ban all of these stages, so I think it has to come down to preference. The order I have them listed is probably the order that I would personally allow them in a tourney that I ran. I do still find PS2 disruptive. While it's fair, the wind or conveyor transforms pop up, and whatever you were doing, you have to change. It creates a 'worst case' scenario where you were dominating in neutral, wind up in the air when the wind transform starts.... and can't ever get down. Norfair I'm actually ok with, but it definitely promotes camping and leads to long games.

imo, all of the orange stages have obvious bannable issues, and they are going to be inevitably banned eventually whatever we do here. It sucks because I REALLY like the first 3 I have listed... I just don't think they should be allowed.
All the red stages should be unsurprising, considering my aforementioned bias against walkoffs. Seriously though, #legalizePyrosphere

EDIT: I also want to look into the Omega forms. Since they have some serious differences (grass traction, wall-jumpable walls, forms/cut-outs), I think it would be valuable to have a list of up to 5-6 legal Omegas that can be used instead of FD (maybe allowing opponent to ban walls, etc)
Really interesting discussion here, Fenrir. I absolutely agree with the position of KJ64 and Castle Siege. I feel fairly confident about Luigi's Mansion's viability, but I am unsure that any of the other yellows or oranges would work. There's too many issues that have to be considered and just having issues would be enough for me to not consider it a legal tournament friendly stage for all.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Since we're all doing it I'm going to toss out my preferred stagelist:

Neutral:

Smashville
Battlefield
Halberd
FD / Omega stages
Wuhu Island
Delfino Plaza
Skyloft

Counterpick:

Town and City
Duck Hunt
Kongo Jungle 64
Mario Circuit (Wii U)
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Windy Hill

Not too much to say here. It's a little conservative, but most of the stages that you could add are stages that honestly I think are just pretty lame. Like sure, PS2 is probably fair enough, but I do find it a bit annoying. Ditto for Luigi's Mansion. Honestly I think Garden of Hope and Orbital Gate are straight up bad stages.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Since we're all doing it I'm going to toss out my preferred stagelist:
Neutral:
Smashville
Battlefield
Halberd
FD / Omega stages
Wuhu Island
Delfino Plaza
Skyloft

Counterpick:
Town and City
Duck Hunt
Kongo Jungle 64
Mario Circuit (Wii U)
Castle Siege
Lylat Cruise
Windy Hill
Don't have a problem with the list of stages (pretty much just my green stages + 2 yellows, which makes sense), but I do question the placement of Wuhu, Delfino, and Halberd (stages that can conceivably kill you, albeit rarely) as starters above Lylat, T&C, Duck Hunt, and KJ64.... and even Castle Siege, which really can't... Shrug just my 2 cents.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Don't have a problem with the list of stages (pretty much just my green stages + 2 yellows, which makes sense), but I do question the placement of Wuhu, Delfino, and Halberd (stages that can conceivably kill you, albeit rarely) as starters above Lylat, T&C, Duck Hunt, and KJ64.... and even Castle Siege, which really can't... Shrug just my 2 cents.
Sure, I don't mind explaining those:

In general, despite the fact that there's arguably more going on in a stage like Wuhu or Halberd, I don't feel anything about the layout inherently favours specific characters. For the travel stages, they go through many different layouts, so while some layouts may favour specific characters I feel the overall stage is fairly neutral. For Halberd, it's just my general feeling that the stage doesn't really favour anyone but I'd be willing to swap it with T&C if people had an issue with it.

As for the CP stages:

Lylat has a pretty strange layout that can mess with some characters. Sloped platforms mess up projectiles, of course, but the weird "platform" layout can also give some characters a lot of trouble. Characters who have trouble landing generally detest this stage, especially against characters with powerful stage control. It can be almost impossible for them to get back down to the stage in some cases.

Honestly, T&C is probably neutral. The main reason it's under CP is because the number of starter stages needs to be an odd number for stage striking. I am open to swapping this one with an existing neutral but I wanted a bit more variety in the neutrals.

Duck Hunt has that tree on the left which can be strong for camping with some characters, and in general it's just an unusual and asymmetrical platform layout. This stage is a bit unproven in general but I'm still fairly confident in this placement.

KJ64 is very different from most of the other stages in the game and I definitely see certain characters having a fairly significant edge here. Recovering high is generally stronger on this stage (due to the multiple elevations at which you can recover), which may give characters with predictable recoveries a bit of a boost.

My main issue with Castle Siege is the second transformation, which is totally godawful for a lot of characters, particularly anyone who relies on projectiles. I'm quite positive this one is a counterpick for that reason.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Sure, I don't mind explaining those:
Ah so you're trying to target more balance, rather than removing randomness. Makes sense.

Although I will say that there are slight imbalances to practically every stage that isn't BF or SV (and you could probably argue those, even). For instance, Delfino significantly helps characters with a spike. Halberd is very good for characters that can zone under the main platform for the moving section (e.g. Bowser). Wuhu is brutal for Ness vs Wario (kidding...lol...too soon???).

We also (both) need to consider that a starter list will be struck, so if anybody is bad on a stage, etc... they can just strike it on their path to starting on Smashville.

Last edited:

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
Statement: It is my firm opinion that we need to have a 5-stage starter set rather than a 7-stage starter set.

Reasoning: The 5th-10th "best" or "most neutral" stages are far less neutral and therefore worse starters than the 1st-4th "best" stages. This could in many scenarios lead to a less balanced game 1, which is just not ideal as a tournament standard. A huge argument against the jankier stages is that they interrupt gameplay or lessen the effect player skill has on the results of that game. Now I don't think 7-stage starter sets are bad, but I think 5-stage starter sets are inherently better. First, we need a sample set of a 5 and a 7-stage list.

5 Set:
a) FD
b) Lylat
c) Town & City
d) Battlefield
e) Smashville

7 Set:
a) FD
b) Lylat
c) Town & City
d) Battlefield
e) Smashville
f) Kongo Jungle 64
g) Delfino / Skyloft / Wuhu

Note: I think Halberd and Castle Siege are less neutral in this game. Halberd, due to the difficulty in landing for some of the cast on such a small main platform, and Castle Siege because the transformations are more disruptive due to the physics and speed of this game over brawl.

Now the purpose of game 1 is to effectively attempt to neutralize everything but player skill and have the two fighters play on the most balanced stage possible for that matchup. Battlefield and Smashville are what most game 1s come down to in a 5-stage format, which we have seen repeatedly works well for most characters in the game across the series. This works because the 4 stages of FD, Smashville, Battlefield, and Lylat are relatively neutral in practice, with FD being struck most of the time for matchups where platforms are necessary. This has proven a good standard, and will almost assuredly be so for this game as well. But now because stages 5-10 (T&C, KJ64, and some combination of Delfino, Wuhu, Skyloft, and Duck Hunt) are all far less neutral, we are left with the possibility of stages 6-7 on a 7-stage starter set leading to jankier game 1s.

Example:
1) Robin vs. Sheik
--In 5 Set, Robin strikes FD and Lylat, Sheik could strike to T&C if they wanted the most jank. Still not bad.
--In 7 Set, Robin strikes FD and Lylat and Delfino, Sheik strikes to KJ64 for a much jankier game 1, on a stage arguably favoring Sheik.

TLDR: Adding more stages to the starter set makes jankier game 1s far more likely, and the less jank when thousands of dollars are on the line, the better. If we do end up deciding to go with a 7-stage starter set, we have to be VERY VERY careful when picking which stages are 6 and 7.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Since there are a lot of legal list, I thought I will make a ban list with stage and there reason for being banned.

Mario Circuit (Brawl) - Overcentralizaiton on the corners. Hazards force players into corner that leads to walk-off camping being an overly powerful strategy.

Gamer - Randomized layout means the stage can essentially give advantages to players for no reason. Specifically the layouts with the tall caves of life prove troublesome and arguably marginalize player skill.

Jungle Hijinx - This is probably the only stage I would ban for a silly reason. While things like circle-camping could prove problematic, but would need testing, my main issue is the ability to see your character. I know on my TV its extremely hard to tell what's going on in the back, and I assume they usually use small TVs at most tournaments for connivence. Its really just too hard to tell whats happening. On top of that, the Tall pillar in the back plane, left side could prove to be an overpowerful camping position.

75m - Significantly overpowerful camping spots on the two bottom corners on the map. The dominant strategy is to get the first hit and run to camp in one of the two spots.

Temple - Circle-camping is an overcentralising strategy.

Bridge of Eldin - when the bridge explodes, it leads to camping on either side. Puts which ever player is currently loosing in an extremely disadvantageous position, which marginalizes player skill.

Pyrosphere - Dominant strategy is too own Ridley and then watch the destruction. This also could be argued as marginalizing player skill. On top of that, Ridley doesn't even seem to work consistently.

The Great Cave Offensive - Circle-camping is an overcentralising strategy.

Port Town Aero Dive - The cars leave no safe spots occasionally. This could punish players that live till higher percents, which marginalizes player skill.

Flatzone X - The extremely close blastzones means walk-off camping can be performed from almost anywhere on the stage.

Palutena's Temple - Circle-camping is an overcentralising strategy.

Skyworld - Destructable platforms can allow for removal or all grabbable ledges when removed, and circle camping when present.

Boxing Ring - Circle-camping on the lights is an overcentralising strategy.

Gaur Plains - Circle-camping seems to be an overcentralising strategy. On top of that, Metal Face creates the dominant strategy of waiting the last hit on him for the powerful explosion.

Pilotwings - Camping on the engine is an overcentralising dominant strategy

Wily Castle - The yellow devil creates a powerful camping spot behind him, and leads to the overcentralising strategy of getting the last hit on him.

Pac-Land - The visuals suck. Inconsistant scrolling speed leads to the inability for players to time events. The section with logs leaves hardly any room to stand on. The fairy thing grants invincibility, which rewards the faster player way too much, and leads to touching her first being an overcentralising strategy

Stages where walk-offs seem to be the main issue - Coliseum, Mario Galaxy, Wii Fit Studio, Onett, and Yoshi's Island. Yoshi's Island probably has some other problems with it, but I can't really say for certain what they are. Onett does have more problems than Coliseum, Mario Galaxy, and Wii Fit Studio, but they aren't too bad. If walk-off are truly as bad as people say then they should be banned, but I would love for some footage to show why they are actually bad.

Other notable stages left out - Kalos Pokemon League, Wrecking Crew, Big Battlefield, Orbital Gate Assualt, Woolly World, Garden of Hope, and Mushroom Kingdom U. I couldn't find anything from my personal testing why these are 100% banned. Wrecking Crew and Kalos Pokemon League do have a lot against them and I can understand wanting to ban them. Orbital Gate Assault, Big Battlefield, Woolly World, Garden of Hope, and Mushroom Kingdom U have significantly less going against them, so I hope these are at least tested in some kind of tournament.

Remaining Stages - Battlefield, Final Destination, Mario Circuit (Wii U), Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion, Kongo Jungle 64, Skyloft, Norfair, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Pokemon Stadium 2, Castle Siege, Town and City, Smashville, Duck Hunt, Wuhu Island, Windy Hill Zone.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
@ slimjim slimjim , I get your point but disagree with the examples.

I don't think KJ64 is "much jankier" than T&C... nor do I feel it favors Sheik vs Robin more than T&C does. Heck she can run more on T&C than she can on KJ64 (and I'd include KJ on a 5 stage list before T&C)
I don't know of a reason why any character would need to strike any of the flying platform stages (other than they just don't like them)
Considering the number of infinite walk-off killer combos in Brawl, there's no way Castle Siege is worse in 4 than it was in Brawl. imo the game physics have little impact on the transformation phase. I can actually see your point on Halberd, but I don't think it's bannable.

But you raise a good point... If we want a 7 stage strike list... we need 7 "neutral" stages that are different enough to warrant additional strikes.

Imo, SV, BF, FD, LC, KJ64, and T&C are an amazing set of 6 stages... for the 7th, would it be better to go with the "best" flying platform stage (wuhu, skyloft, or delfino), Duck Hunt, or Castle Siege? I really don't think Halberd should get in over any of those 5 choices, for balance reasons and random event reasons.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
this isn't technically related to stage legality, but I really think you should only be able to play on any stage once in a set

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
@ slimjim slimjim , I get your point but disagree with the examples.

I don't think KJ64 is "much jankier" than T&C... nor do I feel it favors Sheik vs Robin more than T&C does. Heck she can run more on T&C than she can on KJ64 (and I'd include KJ on a 5 stage list before T&C)
I don't know of a reason why any character would need to strike any of the flying platform stages (other than they just don't like them)
Considering the number of infinite walk-off killer combos in Brawl, there's no way Castle Siege is worse in 4 than it was in Brawl. imo the game physics have little impact on the transformation phase. I can actually see your point on Halberd, but I don't think it's bannable.

But you raise a good point... If we want a 7 stage strike list... we need 7 "neutral" stages that are different enough to warrant additional strikes.

Imo, SV, BF, FD, LC, KJ64, and T&C are an amazing set of 6 stages... for the 7th, would it be better to go with the "best" flying platform stage (wuhu, skyloft, or delfino), Duck Hunt, or Castle Siege? I really don't think Halberd should get in over any of those 5 choices, for balance reasons and random event reasons.
Hahaha my example section was originally longer until I realized the metagame isn't developed enough yet to have examples strong enough to emphasize my point. Halberd isn't bannable of course, it just isn't starter-material. I would argue the "best" flying platform stage would be the best 7th, just looking at the transformations and how they function.

Duck Hunt has ducks to extend hitboxes, dogs to interrupt punishes/combos, grass to hide stuff, trees to camp, and weird camera angles that have you basically in the magnifying glass any time you are off-stage making recovery very odd or difficult for some of the cast. Definitely counter-pick material. I feel that Castle Siege is very counterpicky as I look at the list of characters because of the prevalence of projectiles in this game, and the difficulty some characters have with landing on small stages.

I would still like to move toward the 5-stage set though, because objectively speaking, #6 is doable, but any of our options for #7 in particular heavily favor some characters over others.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Hahaha my example section was originally longer until I realized the metagame isn't developed enough yet to have examples strong enough to emphasize my point. Halberd isn't bannable of course, it just isn't starter-material. I would argue the "best" flying platform stage would be the best 7th, just looking at the transformations and how they function.

Duck Hunt has ducks to extend hitboxes, dogs to interrupt punishes/combos, grass to hide stuff, trees to camp, and weird camera angles that have you basically in the magnifying glass any time you are off-stage making recovery very odd or difficult for some of the cast. Definitely counter-pick material. I feel that Castle Siege is very counterpicky as I look at the list of characters because of the prevalence of projectiles in this game, and the difficulty some characters have with landing on small stages.

I would still like to move toward the 5-stage set though, because objectively speaking, #6 is doable, but any of our options for #7 in particular heavily favor some characters over others.
Preaching to the choir here about Duck Hunt. (and to note, I also favor a 5-stage starter list...just playing the other side for a bit)

So for example... I believe Skyloft is (by a fair margin) the fairest flying platform stage (I know some people disagree). I personally think Delfino and Wuhu are firm CPs, but the water mechanic really changes the matchup and I don't think that should be tested in a neutral situation.
So offhand (and the game might be underdeveloped to make this point), I cannot come up with a matchup that Skyloft negatively impacts in any significant manner (please somebody correct me here).
The stage transforms so quickly that any negative transforms can just be waited out, and you don't have the "small platform" problems that other stages do. So aside from the "I don't like it!" comments... what exactly would make the stage non-neutral? And if somebody doesn't like it, it can be struck... I actually don't see the harm in a stage list like SV, BF, FD, LC, KJ64, T&C, Skyloft. Worst case, somebody NEEDS to ban FD (and probably T&C too in that scenario), then they strike 1 more and be happy with the others. I don't think that's too bad.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
You put Final Destination as your first stage. It heavily favors some characters over others significantly more than Skyloft, Wuhu Island, and Delphino or really any stage. I would say its most polarizing stage.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Eh, I think the hate for FD has gone way too far in Smash 4.

I can actually see the "polarizing" comments when you're talking about chain grabs (although I still say it's not more polarizing than other neutrals in either Melee or Brawl)... but those are gone, so in the vast majority of matchups, FD is just a different, fairly neutral stage that gives a possible edge to Lil Mac and a possible nerf to Robin... I'm sure there are chars here and there that don't prefer it, but I think the 'polarizing' label has been blown way out of proportion for this game.

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
You put Final Destination as your first stage. It heavily favors some characters over others significantly more than Skyloft, Wuhu Island, and Delphino or really any stage. I would say its most polarizing stage.
I understand this, but this point is moot because in the 5-stage starter list it gets struck when needed. I don't have it as first in any sort of meaningful list besides it being the stage I decided to type first (note how I didn't say my lists of 5 or 7 starters were in any particular order). I did not say it was most neutral or even neutral in general. It just proves to be a good starter because in a 5-stage starter list it will just get struck almost every time it would matter anyways. In a 7-stage starter list however, 3 strikes almost isn't enough for some characters.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I understand this, but this point is moot because in the 5-stage starter list it gets struck when needed. I don't have it as first in any sort of meaningful list besides it being the stage I decided to type first (note how I didn't say my list of starters were in any particular order). I did not say it was most neutral or even neutral in general. It just proves to be a good starter because in a 5-stage starter list it will just get struck almost every time anyways. In a 7-stage starter list however, 3 strikes almost isn't enough for some characters.
But if it's going to get struck anyways, why not put a stage that actually has a chance of picked anyways?

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
But if it's going to get struck anyways, why not put a stage that actually has a chance of picked anyways?
Evidence that FD is going to be struck in all Smash 4 matches over any stage that isn't Battlefield or Smashville?

Especially with the prominence of For Glory... labeling FD a CP in a striking system is ridiculous.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Evidence that FD is going to be struck in all Smash 4 matches over any stage that isn't Battlefield or Smashville?

Especially with the prominence of For Glory... labeling FD a CP in a striking system is ridiculous.
I know from my time on Anther's Ladder, I've gone to Smashville, Duck Hunt, and Lylat Cruise on starter. I've also gone to Pokemon Stadium 2, Lylat Cruise, Battlefield, Castle Siege, and Town and City as Counterpicks, and Gentlemened to Skyloft once. I have never played on Final Destination (or Halberd, but it's never been struck at least) at all and it is almost always struck even as a counterpick. So from my personal experience with Smash on the Wii U (there haven't been any real tournaments by me yet), Final Destination is a pretty poor choice for a starter over at least Duck Hunt.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
So from your personal experience (where you didn't say the number of times you personally struck the stage), on a game that came out juuuust over a week ago and everybody is trying out stages for... nobody picked the stage that (A) we've all played on for years and (B) we play constantly on For Glory?

Yeah that's not surprising, and I don't think it makes your point to argue my "going to" statement.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
Dave's Stupid Rule already says a player cannot counterpick a stage they previously won on, unless you meant something more restrictive.
win or lose, no repeats, also a lot of tournaments use modified DSR which allows you to counterpick the stage you won on in game 1 for game 5

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Guys Wuhu Island can't be allowed. Saw this and said no way.
It has been gone over many times how extremely hard it is to perform this and how it will never happen in actual tournament play since no player would put themselves in that situation. It only works on Ness against Wario and Villager, and requires extremely precise inputs. They just happened to create all the right situations by accident. Also it will likely be patched.

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
It has been gone over many times how extremely hard it is to perform this and how it will never happen in actual tournament play since no player would put themselves in that situation. It only works on Ness against Wario and Villager, and requires extremely precise inputs. They just happened to create all the right situations by accident. Also it will likely be patched.
Dthrow is not a precise input, but it could be my bias showing. I don't want Wuhu for the sheer fact the boat causes AN AUTOMATIC KO and the pot hole/walkoff part of the stage. The bug (I assume it has to be one) will be fixed no doubt, but does not alleviate my fears at all. Fenrir_VII had a pretty good list bar Wuhu. I wish Sakurai could add a stage freeze or remove stage hazard setting to this game, then so many more stages could be viable.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
I know that there is a lot of interest and insightful discussion regarding all the new stages and which should be legal/starters/counterpicks/etc., so I apologize if this slightly derails the thread. This is stage related so I thought I'd bring it up here.

It seems that the blastzones in the Wii U version are smaller than the ones in the 3DS version for some of the stages that are in both. I tried testing kill %'s on FD and you get KO'd a little earlier off the top and the sides in the Wii U version. I don't really see this being mentioned anywhere and find it weird that this is inconsistent. Is there a thread somewhere documenting such changes?

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Dthrow is not a precise input, but it could be my bias showing. I don't want Wuhu for the sheer fact the boat causes AN AUTOMATIC KO and the pot hole/walkoff part of the stage. The bug (I assume it has to be one) will be fixed no doubt, but does not alleviate my fears at all. Fenrir_VII had a pretty good list bar Wuhu. I wish Sakurai could add a stage freeze or remove stage hazard setting to this game, then so many more stages could be viable.
It is a precise input since you have to be in an exact spot and you have about a second to do it, and if you nail everything perfectly it still doesn't work consistently. Plus if you're villager or wario playing against Ness you should be able to avoid getting down thrown for a second.

19_

Smash Journeyman
NNID
19sean
3DS FC
3239-4949-6616
I know that one of the points about fighting for a larger stage list is promote balance between characters but I kind of think that maybe a good way to test a stage's legality would be to have a tournament involving just that one stage. Sure some fighters may be better than others in said tournament but it might be worth a shot ESPECIALLY if it were to be streamed.

I honestly the key to people embracing more stages is to have them streamed in tournaments as much as possible. Spectators can have an influence whether a stage is legal or not. Not to say the player isn't important, I just know that many top players are vets from other games that are used to simple stages of melee, brawl, PM and 64.

As much as I love seeing these discussions of the stages, every time I watch a Wii U tournament on stream, I lose a lot of faith in any somewhat large stage list. People constantly ask "Why is this stage legal?" when there is literally nothing wrong with them, like Halberd and Castle Siege, which were legal in Brawl practically throughout its whole lifetime in US/Europe rulesets.

Duck Hunt is perfectly fine, it has NO hazards, the platforms only slightly change the gameplay, it's fine as a counterpick but it has to be instantly banned just because Robin's Arcfire was misplaced because of the dog (Nairo in particular)? It's a toxic way of thinking that plagues the average Smash userbase to the uneducated. It's no wonder sometimes the Smash base is ridiculed.

It's so pre-emptive to think this way. And I know I shouldn't generalize because of Twitch comments from random nobodies, but it's happened since the Wii U started having tournaments; even the 3DS possibly. 3DS tournaments were so boring and bland because it was practicaly Battlefield 90% of the time.

Whenever someone picks Kongo Jungle 64 and someone gets one kill because of a skillful use of the sharking abilities of the stage, someone will scream "BAN THIS STAGE" and the cycle will continue. The game cannot remain in a healthy metagame if the only stages used are Battlefield and Smashville; at least, this early in its life. In Brawl, the japanese only used 3 stages, but they still used other stages for a few years until they finally trickled down.

I praise Raziek and Capps and other similar TOs that use fun and open stage lists and continues to test various combinations of stages. I hope the stage list remains somewhat average in size, at the very least, and eventually the amount of false "Why is this stage legal?" comments dwindles down as players become more comfortable with the atmosphere of the game.

Also, a bit of a switch of topic here, but I do agree that Pilotwings should be banned. I love this stage, it's fun, there's a nice amount of room and has good energy. But in a tournament setting, where players will do ANYTHING to win, they will abuse a stage to its fullest. Pilotwings promotes camping, unfortunately. It's terrible for spectators, awful for commentators and the clock is too short for it to continue like that.
As said here there is a stigma about tournament play where only the simplest stages are allowed, but that is only because it is a habit that players and spectators used to. This comes with the nasty side effect scarring away more talented players as well as viewers who would want to be interested in competitive play.

I really think Sakarai is testing us. Custom moves, triples/squads, and new possible stages for legality. All these new ways to play smash competitively and we can't use them (triples/squads are still a thing thankfully) just because popular TO's and vets said so? This is a good reason many casual players don't like us. Why not change that? I'm not saying we should have items, equipment or stages like temple legal. I'm saying that we should make the push to close that divide.

Also just because this isn't Brawl 2.0 does not mean banning things to make it more like brawl will help your argument.

edit: I'm Really not trying to bash anyone with this post btw. I mean this this in good will I know TO's and vets give all there love to smash. I just they are missing a good opportunity to help the community

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I know from my time on Anther's Ladder, I've gone to Smashville, Duck Hunt, and Lylat Cruise on starter. I've also gone to Pokemon Stadium 2, Lylat Cruise, Battlefield, Castle Siege, and Town and City as Counterpicks, and Gentlemened to Skyloft once. I have never played on Final Destination (or Halberd, but it's never been struck at least) at all and it is almost always struck even as a counterpick. So from my personal experience with Smash on the Wii U (there haven't been any real tournaments by me yet), Final Destination is a pretty poor choice for a starter over at least Duck Hunt.
Some matchups may arguably find FD more neutral than BF. On top of that, FD should be in a starter list because having 5 starters with platforms significantly benefits characters who do well with platforms. With FD in a 5 stage starter list people who want flat stages (lil mac?) will be able to strike to T&C or SV consistently.

Also, opinions on my stage list? I'm really keen to have 1 perma-walkoff stage, so it can be striked if it completely ruins a matchup but otherwise creates a unique playstyle.

My proposed stage list for Wii U Singles with reasoning is as follows.

Starters (4):
Battlefield - Often labeled the most neutral stage in the game
Smashville - Often labeled more neutral than Battlefield (either way, neutral and dynamic)
Lylat - Unique platform layout. The tilting seems less dramatic than in Brawl (correct me if I'm wrong) and due to the nature of buffed recoveries across the cast the ledge jankiness is negated. Legal throughout Brawl's lifespan
FD/Omega - Level playing field, counterbalances the starters with platforms

Borderline (pick one, send other to CP) (2):
Delfino - Same as Brawl but with ledge play weakened eg less sharking. Temporary walkoffs/water/walls was not an issue in Brawl
Town and City - Dynamic with platforms, although the high platforms and occasional lack of platforms makes it play like a pseudo FD at times and a dynamic BF at others. Putting T&C in the starters list means that in a matchup that comes down to character who prefers flat stage vs character who prefers stage with platforms the starting stage will usually be SV or T&C, with Delfino over T&C the character who prefers flat stages is at a disadvantage.

Counterpicks (10):
Skyloft - Transformations, none that will kill you. Temporary walkoffs/walls, some transformations move away from center screen and towards horizontal blast zones
Wuhu - Same as Skyloft
Pilotwings - More extreme tilting than Lylat, however neither plane itself is inherently problematic and the transformation is non-threatening
Pokemon Stadium 2 - Deserves the chance it never got in Brawl, transformations are non-threatening and people choose not to play it simply because it's different. May not be popular but popularity is no reason to ban a stage
Halberd - Ledge play weakened from Brawl, always legal in Brawl, stage hazards slow, predictable and unlikely to kill at low percentages (unrelated: one time I got knocked out of a tournament by the lazer when Halberd was my own counterpick)
Duck Hunt - Platforms on either side of stage (tree, bush) and sometimes one in the center. The tree is too high to allow this to be a neutral as some characters can be camped. The ducks may interrupt projectiles similar to ghosts on YS/YIB
Big Battlefield - Big enough to cause problems for characters that are less mobile, but not enough to make matchups unwinnable
Norfair - Unique, hazards cause play to be pushed to either side of the stage, lava may hinder ledgeguarding. Ledge play/sharking weakened from Brawl.
Castle Siege - Temporary walkoffs, other two transformations are arguably neutrals. Statues hinder projectile games
Kongo 64 - Ganon and Mac will probably hate this stage but it seems smaller than Melee and the platforms move higher

Borderline (pick one for CP, send other to banned) (2):
Coliseum - Perma-walkoffs, either flat or with very high platforms however all platforms are easily accessible due to shorter platforms popping up on the stage
Wii Fit Studio - Perma-walkoffs, danger of which partially mitigated by mirror. Platforms similar to Coliseum in that they are not always there, often asymmetrical and although they can be high they are accessible via shorter platforms. This stage offers the lowest platforms in the game.

These stages with permanent walkoffs should be seriously considered in this game due to the lack of walkoff chaingrabs and the fact that they aid characters with poor recoveries. Although they change the way the game is played (no edgeguarding, walkoff camping) they also offer things few or no other stages do particularly in their platform placement.

Banned:
Windy Hill Zone - Combines the worst aspects of Duck Hunt and Mario Galaxy. Also grassy.
Wooly World - Either has walkoffs and runaway play OR is very air based and is the only stage without a main platform for the majority of the time. If the volcano and walkoffs on Wuhu are enough to cause controversy then this stage should be banned outright.
Orbital Gate - Hazards + janky fall through platforms
other jank - jank

Other stages like Skyworld however I am open to being potential counterpicks but I need to do more testing.

With this stagelist there are 5 starters and 12 counterpicks (17 total). Striking can proceed 1-2-1 and I propose 2 stage bans (in a best of 3) as to cover multiple polarising aspects (walkoffs, lack of platforms, high platforms, tilting) without reducing stage diversity. Feedback would be cool.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
When I said the boat KOs, I was talking about it meteor smashing/spiking.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
When I said the boat KOs, I was talking about it meteor smashing/spiking.
If you're talking about getting hit by the front of the boat, that's completely intentional; it's just like in Pirate Ship. You have time to jump out of the water before hitting the front of the boat, and if you're afraid of getting meteored by the boat, just land on it instead of sweetspotting the ledge.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
I know its avoidable, but it's still a hazard nonetheless that results in KO. Halberd's is very easy to dodge, but the boat is speeding by unlike the Pirate ship.

D

Deleted member

Been playing on Windy Hill more, think it should be banned eventually. Obviously the scene has to try it out and reserve judgement, but its way too easy to get OHKOed by springs facing downward and the windmill isn't a point in the stages favor considering how close to the blast zone it is. In fact, the whole stage is way to close to the horizontal blast zone. I shouldn't net 50% KOs with an uncharged FSmash. The gravity is annoying for any projectile user, although that isn't a large gripe.

BBC7

Smash Ace
*puts flame shield up*

Am I the only one that thinks the Yellow Devil in Wily Castle isn't that bad? The stage lets you know that he is going to pop up through visuals and sound effects, and you can completely avoid his attacks by staying behind him. Not to mention that most air attacks can reach the eye, so there can be an agreement between the two players to defeat the Yellow Devil before resuming the fight. Halberd's hazards are more likely to kill and that stage still remained legal. I'm not saying that Wily's Castle should be legal, but many people act as if Yellow Devil completely kills the chance of it being legal.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
*puts flame shield up*

Am I the only one that thinks the Yellow Devil in Wily Castle isn't that bad? The stage lets you know that he is going to pop up through visuals and sound effects, and you can completely avoid his attacks by staying behind him. Not to mention that most air attacks can reach the eye, so there can be an agreement between the two players to defeat the Yellow Devil before resuming the fight. Halberd's hazards are more likely to kill and that stage still remained legal. I'm not saying that Wily's Castle should be legal, but many people act as if Yellow Devil completely kills the chance of it being legal.
The problem with the yellow devil is camping behind him, and then punishing the player who wasn't camping for dodging his square shifty thing. Also no players would agree to defeat him, as the yellow devil will give the explosion to whoever got the last hit, meaning its a dominant strategy to wait to hit him until the last hit. That means that no one would hit him at all.

Slyphoria

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SquidWithGlasses
3DS FC
4184-1884-8690
Been playing on Windy Hill more, think it should be banned eventually. Obviously the scene has to try it out and reserve judgement, but its way too easy to get OHKOed by springs facing downward and the windmill isn't a point in the stages favor considering how close to the blast zone it is. In fact, the whole stage is way to close to the horizontal blast zone. I shouldn't net 50% KOs with an uncharged FSmash. The gravity is annoying for any projectile user, although that isn't a large gripe.
Well, it's a counterpick against projectile users, then. That's, uh, kind of the point of a counterpick, isn't it?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
*puts flame shield up*

Yellow Devil isn't too disruptive by himself, or I guess it's more accurate to say he's not that powerful, but his presence leads to undesirable gameplay. Camping behind him is a powerful tactic since he can't hit backwards so you basically have a giant wall of "hell no" between you and the opponent, then there's his weird movement animation that takes up like 80% of the stage and damages to boot.

I haven't done any research to see just how strong his death explosion is, but in Classic at least it's usually death for any CPUs caught in it so it's not exactly weak. That is within player control, but if the dominant strategy for a stage is "attack the hazard so it blows up your opponent for you" then it needs a good hard look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom