• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stage Analysis & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Wooly World does look pretty jank. I'll try it out, but my hopes aren't high.

On stages like that where there's very little room to fight on the ground, the balance of the game is shifted pretty heavily towards characters who are good in the air or who can camp a particular position on stage. It just tends to result in a slower, less dynamic match, and a bunch of dumb KOs.
Well you can't ban a stage because of that without many many repetitions of playing matches in an competitive environment. A stage shouldn't be banned until a strategy has been proven to be broken and yields degenerate gameplay. You have to take into account that occasionally that look degenerate actually can be easily countered once players are aware of them and find their weakness.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well you can't ban a stage because of that without many many repetitions of playing matches in an competitive environment. A stage shouldn't be banned until a strategy has been proven to be broken and yields degenerate gameplay. You have to take into account that occasionally that look degenerate actually can be easily countered once players are aware of them and find their weakness.
I agree, though color me pessimistic on Wooly World.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I agree, though color me pessimistic on Wooly World.
I'm mildly hopeful that it'll squeak by, but I may be trusting a little too much in the willingness of people to give it a go.

What we really need is for a well-viewed stream to go "**** it" and host a tournament with Battlefield, Smashville, FD, and Omegas banned. I'd be interested in seeing what stages people go to in the absence of the usual safe choices.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
What we really need is for a well-viewed stream to go "**** it" and host a tournament with Battlefield, Smashville, FD, and Omegas banned. I'd be interested in seeing what stages people go to in the absence of the usual safe choices.
Mfw every match on Miiverse.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I forgot Miiverse existed. Isn't it due to be released in a patch or something anyway?

But yeah ban that too, and maybe Town and City? Not sure how different the latter is from Smashville.
Town and city is pretty different than smashville, and some extremist want it banned because the platforms can carry you offscreen when the station leaves, but we probably don't have to worry about that. Those people likely can't be convinced no matter what.

So town and city has 2 transformations. The town has one platform that moves vertically in the center, and two stationary ones on either side. The city form has two platforms moving horizontal in opposite directions.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm mildly hopeful that it'll squeak by, but I may be trusting a little too much in the willingness of people to give it a go.

Well I hosted a tournament like that, but sadly didn't have the stream... It was seriously good for Smash 3DS

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Wow, so ban happy. This guy just hates diverse stages, everybody.
You say the nicest things, you flatterer you.

But more seriously, I think it really would be interesting to see what stages people will flock to in the absence of their usual safe choices: Battlefield, FD/Omega, Smashville, and almost certainly Town & City and Miiverse. (@ Piford Piford , after watching that video I have to say it's basically Smashville with a more dynamic coat of paint although I can't figure out what the tell is for transitioning between the two forms.)

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
I think someone could host an online tournament with rules like that if the Wii U tournament mode allows it. That'd be all sorts of wacky lacky.

Last edited:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Town and city is pretty different than smashville, and some extremist want it banned because the platforms can carry you offscreen when the station leaves, but we probably don't have to worry about that. Those people likely can't be convinced no matter what.

So town and city has 2 transformations. The town has one platform that moves vertically in the center, and two stationary ones on either side. The city form has two platforms moving horizontal in opposite directions.

Wow those platforms go really high... Why does everything have to be so darn big in this game? They almost look double jump high.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
They wanted to buff Jigglypuff.
I know this was in jest, but Jigglypuff really likes low platforms moreso than high ones. She doesn't go very high with just one jump, but she has the movement to really maneuver around low platforms better than most. High platforms are something I'd favor more with Wario if I wanted an aerial mobility focused character though I'm also quite a fan with a lot of different characters (Rosalina loves high platforms, and IMO DK does too).

---

The idea that we somehow don't want lots of stages on with big money on the line, to go back about a page, makes zero sense to me. Like if you challenged me to a $1 million money match in Brawl no matter who you are and I somehow had to accept but got to pick the stage I'd always pick Norfair. Why? Well, it's the non-broken stage most to G&W's favor in Brawl across match-ups (Green Greens is better in some, but going GGs is a huge risk if you turn out to be a Snake main while Norfair is always good), and I know the stage well. I know the fire hazards are zero threat to me since I actually know how to play Norfair so the only randomness they add really is if my opponent is bad at Norfair then the stage might randomly help me by having the angry fire gods do something they don't know how to handle but it will never randomly hurt me because I know what to do. I also know the stage has a mountain of individual stage knowledge nuance, and I know just about all of it (in my big-headed opinion). The thought that with money on the line that I'd instead prefer to play on a stage like Smashville and set so much of my skill and knowledge aside, stuff I have as a player that could make me win, just seems insane. It's basically saying that with money on the line it is preferred to give up an avenue by which I can prove myself the better player; why would I ever want that?

Norfair is an extreme stage that I use as an example just because it's so extreme. The geography is unconventional, and the fire everywhere does actually exist. Norfair is a great stage for the super prepared, but I can see how a lot of people would find it challenging. But a stage like Skyloft? I'd honestly be embarassed to show up to any tournament for smash wii u not fully prepared to play on a stage like that. You have to learn dynamics for less than 10 landing sites (I dunno how many it actually has but I'm pretty sure less than 10) and how to play on a stage with a pass-through floor and some different platform lay-outs. It's not only really easy to figure out how to play competently on the stage but every different area gives a different ability to show knowledge and skill in a unique way. Honestly the more money is on the line the more I want to play on a stage like this that lets me show as much of my skill as possible. After all, the worst outcome is to lose a game to an opponent I am generally better than, and I have this fear that's a lot more likely on a static stage that lets them know only one good attack pattern or method of stage control better than I as opposed to a stage like Skyloft in which they have to outplay me in a diversity of environments to win.

As per who wants it, I don't have it on-hand, but I know Overswarm has done considerable study on this topic with competitors in his area and found, decisively and conclusively, that interest in Brawl tournaments dropped as stages got banned. It certainly matches my experience locally as well. A few players who are laser focused on playing well on a tiny handful of stages probably prefer only a tiny handful be legal, but the tournament going masses definitely want more. They aren't all out crazy liberal (they might not agree to my beloved Norfair), but they very much and very strongly do want stages like Skyloft. I'd go so far as to say, with confidence, that events will get higher turnout by including these stages.

As per spectators, it's the same thing really. It's easy to say (with no evidence) that these stages make games take longer and that spectators don't want that, but think about it from a spectator's shoes. A tournament stream could run all day; who cares if one set takes 5 mintues or 30 minutes? What gets boring and you do hear spectators complain about all the time is a lack of variety. They hate seeing the same characters and same stages all the time; they want to see people do different stuff so over the time watching the stream they can see more different things and it will be more interesting. Not only is more stages immediately filling one of those needs, but I'm pretty strongly convinced that smash games have more character diversity with more (reasonable) stage diversity so you fill that need too. That was definitely true in Brawl: ban stages, see fewer characters. People made up this fairy tale that you had to ban every stage to hold MK back, but MK did about the same on every stage list and all you were really doing was giving the share of the market that used to belong to characters like G&W, Pikachu, and Wario to characters like Diddy Kong, Olimar, and Ice Climbers. So we'll have to see for sure how things play out in smash wii u, but I'd say the safest starting bet is to have a lot of legal stages if our goal is to make the stream happy.

Honestly, I feel like all those kinds of reasons are compelling, but the stage rules stuff bothers me on a deeper level. I've been smashing for a long time, and when I was really getting into it, everyone always said "no johns" to everything. Win or lose don't complain or blame the game. So much of what I hear about banning stages (and honestly other stuff like some of the anti-custom move posts) are basically just johns, so many johns about stuff like Halberd's hazards that aren't even complaints about theoretical merit but just complaining about having to deal with something. I've played a lot of tournament games on Halberd over the years in Brawl. I've won quite a few but lost some too. In every game I lost, I lost because my opponent played better than I played and deserved to win. That's it; no johns.

I actually worry we're teaching newer and younger playes that the johning mindset is the one to use, and it takes me back to one of my earlier Brawl tournaments. The tournament in question had one stage ban, and I decided I was always going to use mine on Final Destination since I knew it was a pretty bad G&W stage that people liked to pick against G&W. The thing is that Luigi's Mansion was legal and was widely believed to be a super horrible G&W stage; I wasn't convinced of all that but knew it wasn't great for him and wasn't one I was going to be picking. I was, however, prepared enough for the tournament and familiar on a basic level with the stage's mechanics and how my character could move around it. I had to play a pretty decent local Olimar who was quite convinced I had to ban Luigi's Mansion so he could pick FD. I didn't comply and banned FD so he decided he was going to teach me the error of my ways on Luigi's Mansion. I didn't know that Olimar's up smash was a combo into itself under the ceiling there (apparently further you can tech out of it if you're really good, but I certainly didn't know that!), and I found out hard the first stock as I took something like 80% the first time I got hit. It surprised me a lot, but I did survive and backed off. I assessed the situation and what just happened to me, and I realized this novel new combo required the ceiling. I moved to the edges of the stage and to the upper floors and used my disjointed range to poke at him if he tried to chase or if he moved too close to the edges of the under the ceiling area. When he started camping the middle of it hard (he was winning!), I destroyed the mansion in strategic ways to open new attacking avenues. Slowly I clawed back that 80% with smart and patient play, I didn't get hit by that stupid combo again, and I won the game very narrowly (and he was really salty as an added bonus!). I didn't get upset that something super stupid and unexpected had happened to me on this janky stage; I kept my cool, tried to learn from what had happened, and went on to win the game and the set. This new attitude with so much johning about stages I feel is toxic to that; so many people now would be in that situation, get hit by the stupid combo, and would just let themselves lose. They'd just get mad, keep running into that danger zone, lose another 80% to the stupid combo, and then would just blame the game and stage for their loss. I kinda think the community is better when it's not that way?

Sorry this post got super long, but I just so very strongly disagree that banning most of the stages makes any kind of sense for a lot of reasons. I know there's some serious preaching to the choir on this point to a lot of people who post a lot in this topic, but I think the people this is directed at know who they are and I hope, very desperately hope, will give it some mind. We need diversity; everything is just worse if we don't go for it. This is what drives me here, and IMO this is the mindset we need to have when evaluating Wii U stages.

Slyphoria

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SquidWithGlasses
3DS FC
4184-1884-8690
All dat text
That was a great read, and definitely the mindset more people should adopt. G&W represent.

Anyways, what we should probably do is convince people that are running tourneys to run bigger stage lists than they might otherwise. That'll probably work better than convincing the players. Show them that these stages work fine in competitive settings, and they'll be more open to it. I know I'm personally gonna make a tourney on the forums for the Wii U version and have an expanded stage list.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
That was a great read, and definitely the mindset more people should adopt. G&W represent.

Anyways, what we should probably do is convince people that are running tourneys to run bigger stage lists than they might otherwise. That'll probably work better than convincing the players. Show them that these stages work fine in competitive settings, and they'll be more open to it. I know I'm personally gonna make a tourney on the forums for the Wii U version and have an expanded stage list.
Would you mind linking the thread?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
While I agree with this statement in concept, in practice no one wants to be the TO who has his tournament ruined by this kind of lame play. Running tournaments and streams costs money, and if you're not that well established as a stream I can understand the desire to stick to generally safer gameplay so that your viewers / players don't just think "this is dumb, peeps don't understand the meta" and leave.

I'm willing to play online matches on some of the suspect stages, because when you play online there's no cost beyond your own time, but if most people who play the stage feel that it's bad I think that may really be enough. It is a competitive "community", after all. If most people don't like a stage there's not much point trying to force it on them.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
While I agree with this statement in concept, in practice no one wants to be the TO who has his tournament ruined by this kind of lame play. Running tournaments and streams costs money, and if you're not that well established as a stream I can understand the desire to stick to generally safer gameplay so that your viewers / players don't just think "this is dumb, peeps don't understand the meta" and leave.

I'm willing to play online matches on some of the suspect stages, because when you play online there's no cost beyond your own time, but if most people who play the stage feel that it's bad I think that may really be enough. It is a competitive "community", after all. If most people don't like a stage there's not much point trying to force it on them.
Which is why people are going to try them and see which stages are okay for tournaments..... My college will host a very small students-only tournament on the 26th, so we'll have to see

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Well AA, I will take your challenge of super long posting. I am no stranger to absurdly long posts myself.

The idea that we somehow don't want lots of stages on with big money on the line, to go back about a page, makes zero sense to me. Like if you challenged me to a $1 million money match in Brawl no matter who you are and I somehow had to accept but got to pick the stage I'd always pick Norfair. Why? Well, it's the non-broken stage most to G&W's favor in Brawl across match-ups
Sure, but your opponent isn't going to want Norfair, they're going to want the stage that is the most advantageous for their character. In order to get an agreement about what stage to play, we're going to have to implement some kind of stage selection system. There's a few ways we could do this (coin flip, random select, etc), but people have generally decided that the most fair method is for each player to take turns saying which stages they don't want until only one choice is left. According to the theory, the stage that is left over should be a decent compromise where both players can fight effectively.

However, there are some ways that this model can break down. For example, suppose there's a stage which is generally bad for both players, they can't play their game well on that stage and thus victory is kind of a toss-up. Neither of you really wants to play that stage, but at the same time, you don't want to waste one of your precious bans on that stage because then your opponent can ban a stage that's better for you. If no one wants to be the one to ban this stage and give up their banning advantage, this could quite possibly be the stage you get stuck with. Alternatively, suppose that of the stages that remain available, 3 are good for you, 1 is fair, and 7 are good for your opponent. This is a terrible situation for you because he will ban your 3 good stages right off the bat, and the fair stage, and you'll be forced to play on a stage where he has advantage simply because he has too many to choose from.

What the two examples above should illustrate is that the specific stages that are available affects the metagame and game balance, even if in practice those stages usually end up being banned. This is why it's necessary to remove janky stages rather than just letting the players ban them, and why we sometimes have discussions about banning stages for being redundant even if they don't necessarily render the game unplayable. The process is definitely a bit more complex than "stage does not break game, stage is legal".

Honestly the more money is on the line the more I want to play on a stage like this that lets me show as much of my skill as possible. After all, the worst outcome is to lose a game to an opponent I am generally better than, and I have this fear that's a lot more likely on a static stage that lets them know only one good attack pattern or method of stage control better than I as opposed to a stage like Skyloft in which they have to outplay me in a diversity of environments to win.
This is an interesting argument. We never really talk about the difficulty of playing on a given stage, separate from the way it affects the matchup. I am generally inclined to believe that such "stage knowledge" generally pales in importance to character and matchup knowledge, but if you have reason to believe your opponent doesn't know the stage I suppose there's no reason not to use that.

As per who wants it, I don't have it on-hand, but I know Overswarm has done considerable study on this topic with competitors in his area and found, decisively and conclusively, that interest in Brawl tournaments dropped as stages got banned. It certainly matches my experience locally as well. A few players who are laser focused on playing well on a tiny handful of stages probably prefer only a tiny handful be legal, but the tournament going masses definitely want more. They aren't all out crazy liberal (they might not agree to my beloved Norfair), but they very much and very strongly do want stages like Skyloft. I'd go so far as to say, with confidence, that events will get higher turnout by including these stages.
I feel like you can't conclude this based on the evidence that we have. While it is true that interest in Brawl dropped around the time that stages started to be banned, there were a lot of other factors at the time which may also have caused interest in Brawl to drop. First of all, the main reason that stages started to be banned was because of growing awareness of how ludicrously powerful Metaknight really was. It was becoming clear that the game was rapidly turning into "Super Metaknight Bros", where you either played Metaknight or you didn't win, and thus I'm sure a lot of people who played low tier characters or those who fought Metaknight poorly were starting to lose interest in the game. To make matters worse, after we started banning the stages then the Ice Climbers began to become almost equally dominant, which probably caused even more people to drop their mains, but note that this is not an issue of people specifically wanting more stage diversity.

Also, correct me if I am remembering this incorrectly, but I believe this was also about the same time that we were starting to see some of the Brawl hacks appear, and those began to split the community as well, with some feeling that they provided much better gameplay than Brawl itself (I was definitely in this camp, I never touched VBrawl again after Brawl+ was released).

Overall, I think the main issue contributing to Brawl's demise was just increasing awareness that it was a fundamentally broken game. I'd need to see very specific evidence that the stages were responsible (say, two tournaments running during the same time period with different stage lists where the tournament with the larger list had much better turnout and viewership) in order to be convinced that the stagelist was a cause, rather than a symptom of the problem. Also, note that Melee has always had a small stagelist and 64 is even smaller and yet people still play those games.

Honestly, I feel like all those kinds of reasons are compelling, but the stage rules stuff bothers me on a deeper level. I've been smashing for a long time, and when I was really getting into it, everyone always said "no johns" to everything. Win or lose don't complain or blame the game. So much of what I hear about banning stages (and honestly other stuff like some of the anti-custom move posts) are basically just johns
I do agree that there's something fundamentally inconsistent about saying that you can never ban moves or specific tactics or whatever despite the fact that the community basically lives around banning stages and items. However, I've never had any issue with banning or tweaking things where they prove to be imbalanced. Sakurai isn't some kind of Smashing god, in fact he frequently demonstrates that he barely understands the metagame at all, so I see no reason to believe that the choices he makes would always be the best ones. If we have the capacity to change the game and fix fundamental problems I say we go for it. Smash 4 may be much better designed and more well thought-out than previous smash games (it's the best Smash Bros by quite some margin IMO), but that doesn't mean that I would oppose the creation of a "Smash 4 Plus" if such a thing became possible, if only for the sake of them adding my beloved Ivysaur back into the game.

I actually worry we're teaching newer and younger playes that the johning mindset is the one to use, and it takes me back to one of my earlier Brawl tournaments...
While this is a good story, I'm not sure it really supports your argument. Olimar was able to gain some very strong options from that stage, and you were forced to flee from part of the stage and play super defensively to have a chance. In the end, you managed to outplay your opponent, but it still seems like that stage gave Olimar a big advantage and if he played better he should have won. This is why I'm always leery of personal anecdotes when we talk about rulesets and legality. If there's a large skill disparity between the players (which there usually will be online or in the early rounds of a tournament), it's hard to determine whether or not something is fair or broken or if it was just skill that made the difference.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Sure, but your opponent isn't going to want Norfair, they're going to want the stage that is the most advantageous for their character.
AA was making an isolated point: If you MM'd him on the condition that he could pick any stage, he'd pick Norfair.

This was said as a direct counter to claims that people always prefer neutrals when money is on the line.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
This was said as a direct counter to claims that people always prefer neutrals when money is on the line.
I think it's implied that the reason they prefer neutral stages is that they understand that favourable stages will not be available because the opponent would also want a favourable stage. Failing that, a neutral stage is best.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I think it's implied that the reason they prefer neutral stages is that they understand that favourable stages will not be available because the opponent would also want a favourable stage. Failing that, a neutral stage is best.
No, the attitude being debated is that "non-neutral" stages are "janky" and "unreliable"--inappropriate when money is on the line.

This line of thinking is foreign to you and me, but sadly not uncommon.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
However, there are some ways that this model can break down. For example, suppose there's a stage which is generally bad for both players, they can't play their game well on that stage and thus victory is kind of a toss-up. Neither of you really wants to play that stage, but at the same time, you don't want to waste one of your precious bans on that stage because then your opponent can ban a stage that's better for you. If no one wants to be the one to ban this stage and give up their banning advantage, this could quite possibly be the stage you get stuck with. Alternatively, suppose that of the stages that remain available, 3 are good for you, 1 is fair, and 7 are good for your opponent. This is a terrible situation for you because he will ban your 3 good stages right off the bat, and the fair stage, and you'll be forced to play on a stage where he has advantage simply because he has too many to choose from.

What the two examples above should illustrate is that the specific stages that are available affects the metagame and game balance, even if in practice those stages usually end up being banned. This is why it's necessary to remove janky stages rather than just letting the players ban them, and why we sometimes have discussions about banning stages for being redundant even if they don't necessarily render the game unplayable. The process is definitely a bit more complex than "stage does not break game, stage is legal".
So first off a stage can't be generally bad for both players. A stage can either be neutral or give one player and advantage. It's not like the Mario vs Luigi matchup suddenly becomes 45:45 on Battlefield. That doesn't make sense. If a stage is a "toss-up" than I assume both players have an equal chance of winning making it a neutral stage (unless of course its because of something like Warioware's prizes but thats different). If neither player wants to play a stage it won't be played on. Simply having a stage legal doesn't mean your forcing both players to play on the stage if neither want to. Only when your being counterpicked do you have to worry about being on a stage you don't want to play on. If they don't want to play on a stage then they are not giving up there ban there using it. I never want to play on FD, so should we ban it? I am giving up my ban because FD is legal? For a stituation where the stages are 3-1-7, I'll give a counter example. Lets say that its Mario against Luigi and stages 1-3 benefit luigi, 4 is neutral, and 5-11 benefit mario. So to balance it you ban stages 8-11 because you want the neutral stage to always be played on first. But now lets consider how theres 52 characters, or just use one, how about Link. Link is good against Mario on stages 8-11, but Mario is good against link on 2-7, and stage 1 is neutral. You just made the game more unbalanced because you banned stages trying to balance it. If you want to ban a stage based on balance there needs to be an immense amount of work done that would require tons of testing across a long period of time.

When stages were being banned in brawl they explicitly stated " A stage cannot be banned for being 'stupid' or 'janky' . "
Also, janky and jank aren't real words. If your going to describe flaws in a stage use words that actually mean something.

This is an interesting argument. We never really talk about the difficulty of playing on a given stage, separate from the way it affects the matchup. I am generally inclined to believe that such "stage knowledge" generally pales in importance to character and matchup knowledge, but if you have reason to believe your opponent doesn't know the stage I suppose there's no reason not to use that.
Stage knowledge is just as if not more important as character knowledge at higher level play. And both stage knowledge and character knowledge together make up matchup knowledge. It's not like knowing Fox has a positive matchup against Captain Falcon will do you much unless you know the best stage to take him too is Pokemon Stadium and how to use both the stage and the character to your advantage. Character knowledge will make you good, but both character and stage knowledge will make you great.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So first off a stage can't be generally bad for both players. A stage can either be neutral or give one player and advantage. It's not like the Mario vs Luigi matchup suddenly becomes 45:45 on Battlefield. That doesn't make sense.
Have you ever played on Flat Zone? It's 0:0; no one wins.

smashmachine

Smash Lord
there was so much other **** that happened with Brawl at the same time that I really doubt that's the main reason why attendance dropped (Meta Knight/Ice Climbers overcentralization, Brawl+/Project M, losing MLG, etc.)

besides if this was true, why is Melee doing fine with a comparatively smaller 6 stages

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
there was so much other **** that happened with Brawl at the same time that I really doubt that's the main reason why attendance dropped (Meta Knight/Ice Climbers overcentralization, Brawl+/Project M, losing MLG, etc.)

besides if this was true, why is Melee doing fine with a comparatively smaller 6 stages
It's doing fine, yes, but I'd argue it would be doing much better with more stages. By comparison, I believe PM has 12

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Melee is a VERY different game then the other smash titles. A lot of its other stages honestly cause severe issues when playing on them. Their small stagelist works in that game and still has decent variety since it keeps the cast decently viable.

In other games with the different physics and mechanics that didn't really prove to work as well. Brawl centralized the metagame pretty badly by having so few stages available near the end.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Stage knowledge is just as if not more important as character knowledge at higher level play. And both stage knowledge and character knowledge together make up matchup knowledge. It's not like knowing Fox has a positive matchup against Captain Falcon will do you much unless you know the best stage to take him too is Pokemon Stadium and how to use both the stage and the character to your advantage. Character knowledge will make you good, but both character and stage knowledge will make you great.
Case in point, Randall.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
No, the attitude being debated is that "non-neutral" stages are "janky" and "unreliable"--inappropriate when money is on the line.

This line of thinking is foreign to you and me, but sadly not uncommon.
Well, it's not like I know them personally, but from hearing them explain their reasoning the people who are typically in a position to actually make these decisions seem to understand it for the most part.

While I do sometimes disagree with some of the stage choices (Shockwave why you ban Tomodachi?), I don't think these guys are idiots or anything.

So first off a stage can't be generally bad for both players
Broadly speaking it can be. Let's go back to what I said about Wooly World.

"It seems to heavily favour characters who are good in the air and those who can effectively camp a single position".

What if both characters fail to meet that description? What would their gameplan be on this stage?

It may technically be neutral by virtue of both characters doing poorly, but it's definitely the kind of situation that can prevent you from playing to your full ability and thus make the result more random.

If neither player wants to play a stage it won't be played on
What if it's the only one left after everything else has been struck?

I suppose in theory this shouldn't happen if any neutral stages exist, though with some super polarizing characters in the game like Little Mac who dislike certain stages that we would typically consider "neutral" there might be situations where it could happen.

Even just from a practical standpoint, if like 99% of people are going to ban a stage, there's no point even talking about it. No one seriously considers 75m for legality, for example, even though we haven't tested it. We could allow it, but it would just make stage striking and banning take longer.

If you want to ban a stage based on balance there needs to be an immense amount of work done that would require tons of testing across a long period of time.
Well we kind of have already done that. For the last 15 years we've been tinkering with stagelists in Melee and Brawl, so we have a fairly decent idea of what kinds of characters are good on what kinds of stages. That should in theory allow us to get to a good stagelist in a shorter span of time in this game.

When stages were being banned in brawl they explicitly stated " A stage cannot be banned for being 'stupid' or 'janky' . "
Also, janky and jank aren't real words. If your going to describe flaws in a stage use words that actually mean something.
Pfft Jank is totally a real word. You're just being a slave to dictionary.com =P

Stage knowledge is just as if not more important as character knowledge at higher level play.
I don't mean to suggest that it's not important, but rather I think by the time you reach mid level play most people have pretty solid stage knowledge. Is there any player whom you would say is not especially good with their character but performs very well in tournament play because their stage knowledge is so good? Legitimate question here.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever played on Flat Zone? It's 0:0; no one wins.
Well; in case that wasn't a joke. I think he means stages that aren't simulating average day in the Sims.

You remember that IC centralization was the fault of the small stage list right?

Melee is the type of game where the rest of the cast really weren't going to catch up, no matter what stages there were. All those other stages just proved to be a nuisance that really messed with the matches in the end. Not only that, at least Melee has a more diverse top tier cast. (Of course, I still think Rainbow Cruise was an alright stage, but whatever. It is what it is.)

Well we kind of have already done that. For the last 15 years we've been tinkering with stagelists in Melee and Brawl, so we have a fairly decent idea of what kinds of characters are good on what kinds of stages. That should in theory allow us to get to a good stagelist in a shorter span of time in this game.
I'm not sure if that's possible this time around. Have we ever had a stage like Wrecking Crew that theoretically should allow flying characters to take advantage of the high platforms, but consistantly shifts the upper platforms without being a scrolling stage?

Have we ever had a puppeteer character with as much freedom as Rosalina, or a character as polarizing as Little Mac? We have new factors to decide what could be legal or not, I don't think this stagelist should be decided so quickly.

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Broadly speaking it can be. Let's go back to what I said about Wooly World.

"It seems to heavily favour characters who are good in the air and those who can effectively camp a single position".

What if both characters fail to meet that description? What would their gameplan be on this stage?

It may technically be neutral by virtue of both characters doing poorly, but it's definitely the kind of situation that can prevent you from playing to your full ability and thus make the result more random.

What if it's the only one left after everything else has been struck?

I suppose in theory this shouldn't happen if any neutral stages exist, though with some super polarizing characters in the game like Little Mac who dislike certain stages that we would typically consider "neutral" there might be situations where it could happen.

I don't mean to suggest that it's not important, but rather I think by the time you reach mid level play most people have pretty solid stage knowledge. Is there any player whom you would say is not especially good with their character but performs very well in tournament play because their stage knowledge is so good? Legitimate question here.
So if it my turn to ban and we have only Wooly World, Final Destination, Skyloft, and Smashville left and I really don't want to go to wooly world, why would I not strike it? The only reason I wouldn't strike it is if I wanted to play on 2 of the 3 other stages less. Which means that I actually want to play on Wooly World more than the majority of the legal stages.

This game isn't Brawl and it isn't melee. With all the new characters and engine changes, I wouldn't say we know what characters are good on what stages. Marth was good on FD in Melee, but Marth is pretty bad on FD in Smash 4.

The thing with stage knowledge is that you generally get better with your character quicker than you do with stages, as you play your character more than you play an individual stage. So its unlikely that someone with really good stage knowledge is bad with their character. But you can see example of how good stage knowledge pays off when watching stages like Halberd and Castle Siege.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You remember that IC centralization was the fault of the small stage list right?
Yeah, but like I said, that doesn't necessarily imply that people want a diverse stage list. It just implies that they want balance.

I'm not sure if that's possible this time around. Have we ever had a stage like Wrecking Crew that theoretically should allow flying characters to take advantage of the high platforms, but consistantly shifts the upper platforms without being a scrolling stage?
The bigger concern with wrecking crew is moves like KIrby's UThrow. And also the barrels I guess. To be honest, it just strikes me as a worse version of Tomodachi. I actually like Tomodachi as a stage. It's a new idea while not having any silly stuff that breaks it. I would definitely be in favour of that stage being legal.

I felt the same way about Metal Cavern and Norfair on PM. I'm not really the most conservative of stage people.

The thing with stage knowledge is that you generally get better with your character quicker than you do with stages, as you play your character more than you play an individual stage.
Unless you play multiple characters. Also, there's far more opponent characters to learn how to fight with your character than there are legal stages to learn.

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
My point about the play on dynamic vs static stages was more like this. Some attack patterns and stage control patterns will work well on any given stage. Like you'll play one type of game on Battlefield and a somewhat different game on Final Destination. It's not even about one being better than the other so much as they're each one distinct and different thing. If you and an opponent are similar enough in skill for the stage to matter, it easily could be that which one of the two you play on decides the winner. Suppose I have an opponent I beat on Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, and Duck Hunt more often than not but who is particularly good at Smashville and thus has winning odds against me there. Now imagine I don't know that about this opponent and play him on Smashville and lose. I'm clearly the better player in this hypothetical (I'd win on 4/5 stages!), but I'm losing just because my opponent is unusually good at Smashville. My point is that, when you add a stage like Skyloft into the equation, it gets a lot more interesting. With the previous stages, there was just one pattern to learn how to play the stage, but for Skyloft, there are many. If I'm actually generally better than my opponent, what are the odds he's specifically really good at Skyloft and will beat me there? Well, they're a lot lower since that represents a lot more knowledge and skills he will have to have developed to beat me there; he'll have to be better than me at every landing zone and every platform configuration Skyloft can take which is beginning to make it sound like maybe I'm not the better player in the first place.

There are various sound reasons we can't have the dynamic stages as the only legal stages (I honestly would not mind as a player banning every stage that doesn't transform, but I know it's a bad idea), but I can't see at all how it makes sense to exclude them when all else being equal they would seem to do a better job of testing the skill of players which is especially important to get right with money on the line. That is my point here.

My overall point is a lot about mindset and reasonableness in general. I know full well Luigi's Mansion is a mediocre stage with many good arguments that could be made for its banning, but even so, I see too much of the bad mindset that would blame the stage for losses there and not actually try to learn the game. It seeps into things that go way too far like wanting to ban Halberd for its very mild hazards, and it ends up taking away from our core competitive values when we can't accept the game and own our own weaknesses as players. It is probably best to have reasonable compromises and make the best game for everyone. The masses likely don't want Luigi's Mansion (though we will have to see how it actually plays in smash 4, because actually figuring out the game before banning stuff is the right way to do things). However, reasonable compromise means reasonable compromise which means we really do need to keep a lot more than a single digit number of stages and be willing to play on something that isn't a static flat + plat stage. I do want to direct the more stage liberal people not to fight for stages like Onett that just obviously aren't going to be legal (and I get strong feelings that Woolly World has awfully poor chances and don't know why we talk about it so much), but when I hear talk about banning Skyloft or other clearly tame transforming stages, I get bothered real fast since we really, realy need stages like it and there needs to be something clearly and distinctly wrong with it before ban talk begins to make sense.

That's where I stand on stages. I am liberal and love playing on all the crazy stages. I believe in compromise and am willing to accept not playing on the crazier stages for the sake of community harmony and synchronization across events especially when the stages lost along the way were relatively less healthy for the game in the first place. I'm not willing to accept abject surrender and an objectively worse game that bans the best stages without some really compelling reasons to go and play on a single digit number of stages.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
To be honest, it just strikes me as a worse version of Tomodachi.
The entire reason I actually want Wrecking crew to be legal is because I think it's the exact opposite. I find Wrecking crew the better version of Tomadachi. The problem with Tomadachi life is that the person who is at the bottom gets a good advantage and it's decently hard to get down to the same level as them because of lack of options in going down.

Wrecking crew has a couple of different ways of going about moving in it. For one, it isn't just a couple full length paraell lines, the layout can actually be different like some sections being shorter then others. There are also ladders which can help floater characters go up and down more quickly. Then there are the exploding doors to help stop stalling players.

Really, it just looks like it can potentially be better then Tomadachi. The only true problem is those crazy up throws but people will test it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I suspect run-away strats will be really strong on Wrecking Crew and that characters who kill up in general will be really swingy there in general. Games on Wrecking Crew on average will likely be slow and obnoxious. I'm not optimistic about the merits of the the stage, but we'll have to see! There is a reason we need to be willing to play on stuff before just outright baning it... as much as I'd strongly caution about getting your hopes up for legal Wrecking Crew.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
My point about the play on dynamic vs static stages was more like this. Some attack patterns and stage control patterns will work well on any given stage. Like you'll play one type of game on Battlefield and a somewhat different game on Final Destination. It's not even about one being better than the other so much as they're each one distinct and different thing. If you and an opponent are similar enough in skill for the stage to matter, it easily could be that which one of the two you play on decides the winner. Suppose I have an opponent I beat on Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, and Duck Hunt more often than not but who is particularly good at Smashville and thus has winning odds against me there. Now imagine I don't know that about this opponent and play him on Smashville and lose. I'm clearly the better player in this hypothetical (I'd win on 4/5 stages!), but I'm losing just because my opponent is unusually good at Smashville. My point is that, when you add a stage like Skyloft into the equation, it gets a lot more interesting. With the previous stages, there was just one pattern to learn how to play the stage, but for Skyloft, there are many. If I'm actually generally better than my opponent, what are the odds he's specifically really good at Skyloft and will beat me there? Well, they're a lot lower since that represents a lot more knowledge and skills he will have to have developed to beat me there; he'll have to be better than me at every landing zone and every platform configuration Skyloft can take which is beginning to make it sound like maybe I'm not the better player in the first place.

There are various sound reasons we can't have the dynamic stages as the only legal stages (I honestly would not mind as a player banning every stage that doesn't transform, but I know it's a bad idea), but I can't see at all how it makes sense to exclude them when all else being equal they would seem to do a better job of testing the skill of players which is especially important to get right with money on the line. That is my point here.

My overall point is a lot about mindset and reasonableness in general. I know full well Luigi's Mansion is a mediocre stage with many good arguments that could be made for its banning, but even so, I see too much of the bad mindset that would blame the stage for losses there and not actually try to learn the game. It seeps into things that go way too far like wanting to ban Halberd for its very mild hazards, and it ends up taking away from our core competitive values when we can't accept the game and own our own weaknesses as players. It is probably best to have reasonable compromises and make the best game for everyone. The masses likely don't want Luigi's Mansion (though we will have to see how it actually plays in smash 4, because actually figuring out the game before banning stuff is the right way to do things). However, reasonable compromise means reasonable compromise which means we really do need to keep a lot more than a single digit number of stages and be willing to play on something that isn't a static flat + plat stage. I do want to direct the more stage liberal people not to fight for stages like Onett that just obviously aren't going to be legal (and I get strong feelings that Woolly World has awfully poor chances and don't know why we talk about it so much), but when I hear talk about banning Skyloft or other clearly tame transforming stages, I get bothered real fast since we really, realy need stages like it and there needs to be something clearly and distinctly wrong with it before ban talk begins to make sense.

That's where I stand on stages. I am liberal and love playing on all the crazy stages. I believe in compromise and am willing to accept not playing on the crazier stages for the sake of community harmony and synchronization across events especially when the stages lost along the way were relatively less healthy for the game in the first place. I'm not willing to accept abject surrender and an objectively worse game that bans the best stages without some really compelling reasons to go and play on a single digit number of stages.
But most people think Skyloft should be legal. And about 1/3 of people think Luigi's Mansion should be legal with another 1/3 willing to test it. For wooly world, about 1/10 of people thought it should be legal while 1/2 were willing to try it out.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
(and I get strong feelings that Woolly World has awfully poor chances and don't know why we talk about it so much)
Because it hits a weird mix of good and bad points from most people's view. It's a walkoff (bad) but it's temporary (good), camping the walkoff is a bad idea due to how it transforms (good), there's nothing on the stage that can actually hurt you (good), and the overall layout is either "really weird platforms" or "really weird platforms with a walkoff" (bad).

IMO the temporary nature of the walkoff and lack of any damaging hazards trumps the odd platform layout, but that's me.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Because it hits a weird mix of good and bad points from most people's view. It's a walkoff (bad) but it's temporary (good), camping the walkoff is a bad idea due to how it transforms (good), there's nothing on the stage that can actually hurt you (good), and the overall layout is either "really weird platforms" or "really weird platforms with a walkoff" (bad).

IMO the temporary nature of the walkoff and lack of any damaging hazards trumps the odd platform layout, but that's me.
Has any stage ever been banned for odd platform layout? I can't find a single one. If any stage, I would say 75m but thats also huge and has a much worse layout.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Seemed relevant. @:45 gets stuck in a barrel with a Hammer, not sure how quickly they were mashing buttons but they seemed to be stuck for a rather long time for only having 14%. Near the end there's a floor that spawns with multiple barrels, also not sure what happens at the end of the video but no more floors seemed to spawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom