• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Paul Biweeklies!

Leon

Smash Cadet
Hmmm, what are the odds of being done with at least the singles by 3:30? I have to be at work at 4:15 every Saturday : /

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
do we have to use the same character all tourny? or can u change after u win/lose to someone(not just a match but the whole match). if so i gotta start thinking who to use...but m2 for sure in the friendlies LOL

James Sparrow

Smash Master
no, each game you play is an oppurtunity for a different character. you can take into account the level your opponent or you pick and what character they are if you are counterpicking.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
ahh ok thx for the info, not that it helps me out too much, im only "ok" with like 2-3 ppl...
actually idk how good i am at all really...i lack the ppl playing because all of my friends suck at it, and dont really try, i mean i can wavdash (yipee...*sarcasm*) and other techs, but i can never get oppurtunities to play others who are good...i really hope i can make it to this tourny for that very reason :)

Vandita

Smash Rookie
Hey Nomek! You're **** right we have to shiek duel again^_^ I should check out my Marth the next time too O_o

Aaron, good luck at the tourney this weekend =) I'll talk to u when i get back from D.C.

I should be appearing at more tournies w/ aaron now as I continue to advance from my FREE lessons w/ aaron lol. Well okie, peace *.*

Nomek

Smash Apprentice
Dude Dita i can't wait to smash against you again. I mean any other time I get destroyed and it's no fun but that was one of the best smash games I've had in quite some time.

BlueWolf25

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I lied. I've been ****ing tired the past couple days.

Anyway, here it is:

Singles Proposal 1:

Top 8 players are ranked into the "High Tier." Everyone else is in the "Low Tier."

Low tier tourney is first with a $5 entry fee.

Top 2 advance to be seeded 9th and 10th in high tier tourney and will play preliminary round against 8th and 7th seed, respectively.

High tier tourney is next with $10 entry fee.

Pros:
-Larger Pot

Cons:
-More complicated
-A skilled outside player, being unranked, could rise through the low tier bracket and place for money while only paying half the amount of the other skilled players.
-Since the same players always place in the money spots, players ranked 7th or 8th might resent paying twice as much.

--------------------

Proposal 2:

Top 4(?) players are ranked "High Tier."

Single tournament with $5 entry fee, high tier players are granted free or reduced price entry.

Pros:
-Less complicated
-High tier status is highly valued

Cons:
-Smaller pot

--------------------

Proposal 3:

Keep the regular singles procedure and use rankings for bracket seeding.

Pros:
-Least complicated
-Moderate sized pot

Cons:
-Moderate sized pot
-Ranks mean little in terms of money

--------------------

Proposal 3 variation:

Keep the regular singles procedure with rankings used for seeding.

A small portion of the pot is unevenly distributed amongst the top few ranks, regardless of placings in the tourney.

Pros:
-Less complicated
-Ranks are valued for more than just seeding

Cons:
-Smaller pot after distributions

--------------------

Anyways, discuss. I do want to keep the general entry fee at $5 though.

Also, my friend is progressing well with the webpage, but I doubt it'll be finished for awhile. I'll pull out the last tourney bracket and assign the rank points later.

4IRE (For Aiur)

Smash Cadet
I don't know if this's been brought up but it says "stages limited to 5 'neutral' stages for random, but then it lists 6 stages (on the first page). Isn't battlefield replaced by FoD for singles? Maybe it's been addressed.

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
I like the idea of proposal 1 the most, but if some players had a problem with issues such as the 7th and 8th seed entry fee, wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have a global entry fee of $5 and keep the existing rules of proposal 1? It would make the pot $40 smaller but there may or may not be less complaints coming from people. Lastly I think the problems with previously unranked players entering in the low-seed tourney will straighten itself out over the span of a couple months.

Eci4

Smash Ace
Tempest, as far as I can tell there are no crews whatsoever... it sounds like draft crews might be done at one of the fests though...

also, I'm cool with #1

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Proposal 1 seems fine. But, why don't you just make the top 2 of low tier pay an extra $5 to enter high tier? I'd pay extra if I placed in high tier.
How is "low tier" seeded?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
well everything could be seeded based on the point system from results...

why would the top 2 low teirs pay more if they just pretty much won a tournament... instead of winning money for their victory, they win a spot in the bigger tourny. it's like a sattellite poker tournament. if they then do well in the tournament, they won't be seeded so low anymore, if they don't do well in the tournament, they're out less money, yet the overall pot for the winners is larger anyway.

yoshii

Smash Ace
hey Bluewolf, can we start this tourney a little bit earlier so we can get done by like 5:30? Cause this is the only way the River Falls folks might be able to go.

mastr0fmyd0main3

Smash Journeyman
I too agree that it would be good to start the tourney a little earlier....there are 3 other guys coming with me. And what is this proposal 1 everyone keeps babbeling about? Anal. I'm teaming with teflon. puberty.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
this is even more pointless than the phone call you made to lucas on saturday night.
You're more pointless than AIIIIIIIIIDS.

And **** paying more because I'm better. You guys have aids.

And also there is really no way I'm coming unless we can finish this thing up before 5:30, so could we start at 10? If not that's fine river falls doesn't need to be there :(. Yoshii will just end up beating you all anyways if we do come =).

James Sparrow

Smash Master
hey Bluewolf, can we start this tourney a little bit earlier so we can get done by like 5:30? Cause this is the only way the River Falls folks might be able to go.
River falls must come... so i vote for earlier start as well.

I too agree that it would be good to start the tourney a little earlier....there are 3 other guys coming with me. And what is this proposal 1 everyone keeps babbeling about? Anal. I'm teaming with teflon. puberty.
proposal 1 is the first of a number of proposals made by bluewolf regarding tournament seeding, cost, and prizes. basically proposal 1 would allow for the less skilled players to enter for less money, have a tournament of their own, and some would advance to play with the higher skilled players and compete for the cash. This would allow for the less skilled players to play more tournament games, pay less, and allow for the more skilled players to have more money to win.

You're more pointless than AIIIIIIIIIDS.

And **** paying more because I'm better. You guys have aids.

And also there is really no way I'm coming unless we can finish this thing up before 5:30, so could we start at 10?
if i'm more pointless than Aids, then you're more pointless than HIV. don't think of it as paying more, think of it as more money for you to win. you have HIV. once again, i vote for it to start earlier so river falls can come.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
Well if everyone's in favor of proposal one, I have no problem with it. It's just that Friends of MINE will be paying more. Sure I'll make more money, but people like..

Darkroom
Yoshii
Deepak
Masteromydomain
Sparrow
bluewolf
Disciple
Grant
Leon(??)
Myself or SDM(depending on who wins :3)

will all be paying more for what we have originally paid the SAME amount for.

If you're GOING to increase the monetary amount, make the scrubs pay $10 and good players pay $20. Then it might be worth MY while to come play to MAKE some money :p. Or else leave it at $5 for everyone because 3rd place gets **** the way this pot is set up. I have things to do with my life and playing in a local tourney isn't really at the top of my priorities right now(sorry to say). Bassoon > ssbm.

I propose 40/30/20/10 pot split so 4th gets money too. Aaron and chexr and probably yoshii will be against this. Since we're all proposing ****. And because I want to guarentee myself some money just in case I lose to sdm(which will probably happen :( ).

Eci4

Smash Ace
see, this is exactly why I said that we should leave it normal a while back...its basically saying if you are good, but not so good, you pay double to get 5th place...

I mean, it doesnt really make sense that the better peple have to pay more, so I suggest this if you want to do a low tier thing...

10 for everyone, winner of the low tier thing gets their money back, and is put into high tier... they can still win the pot, but seeing as they came from low tier it is much less likely... this puts 10 dollars in from everybody, so first will normally take home at least 100...

James Sparrow

Smash Master
the number of paid out people should be based on total people... like

8 people: 2 people get paid
16 people: 3 people get paid
24 people: 4 people get paid

or something... i don't really know.

teflon_climbers

Smash Lord
I've always been a fan of distributing the money as much as possible(believe it or not...). and Eci has a good idea I wouldn't mind if winner of low tier tourney gets their money back and then distribute the rest of the pot into another.

Also with this whole high/low tier thing are we considering time? I need to have this thing be done by 5pm. That means, if we start on time, 7 hours to play. last time it took 8 hrs? I'd be pissed as **** if I ended up playing to 5th place in loosers or w/e, and then I had to go.

Sparrow and Bluewolf if we start @ 10 you think we'd have enough time to be done with the tourney by then? I'm thinking we could be if we just had double elim and 2v2 1v1s. You'd have to push the brackets ahead quickly and not dawdle between 2v2 and 1v1...

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
wow this is getting complicated!

my opinion would be everyone pays the same amount lets say 10$ and have the pot split 40/30/20/10. If you want to do tiers go ahead but it might get confusing. As long as we get done with singles by 5 so river falls comes =)

yoshii

Smash Ace
I like the 40/30/20/10 spread. But James Sparrow is right when he talk about the more people more payouts... and the less people the fewer payouts.... ect. Its just like poker tournaments, simple enough, right?

Also, like ive said before, **** the proposals!!! Come on guys, $10 dollars for everyone. Now I know my chances of placing in the money is slim, but eveyone should have to pay the ten bucks to attempt to beat the top 3 right. Things shouldnt change!

Eci4

Smash Ace
ha, I just realized I dont care one way or another how the payout is... I just realized that by the time I get to the next one Ill have a job, which means I'll have money, which means I wont feel so bad about losing ten dollars...

truthfully I dont really see benefits of low tier/pro tier

Whitefire

Smash Apprentice
The benefits of proposal 1 are obvious, the top 8 who actually have a chance to win some of the money, will pay more and maybe recieve more, and the lower tiers will pay $5 like last month's tourney but it's a very slim chance that they will win anything at all, they'll just get more games it with people at their level, which is worth it to low-ranked players like myself. But if you're there to win money, the high tier tourney will be more competitive and the payout will be nice.

Aarosmashguy

Smash Ace
well teflon if your driving and all I have to pay is entrance fee i can probably go =) I dunno bout chexr though, he probably cant.

1 dollar money matches anyone?

Top Bottom