• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St. Louis Metro Area General Discussion

Roux

Smash Journeyman
We're hoping to host a melee tourney here in STL soon. We're in the hoping/brainstorming phase, so check back soon for details.

:phone:

Roux

Smash Journeyman
plz do
10hopefultourneygoers
Looking into a couple places: Arch City Gaming, near the Lambert Airport, and STL Bar Warz, who holds weekly fighting game nights and tournies. They do SF, UMVC3 tournies etc... They're on Watson somewhere near that Best Buy or the Friar Tuck's liquor store or something.

These places would probably be good for a small-medium sized tournament, enough to have attendees from across the state, but it won't be anything massive like FC.

Let me know if anyone has heard negative things about these venues. They seem alright though.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
negative about bar warz-
i once tried to assimilate into that group of fighting game players. they are extremely anti melee (because they are just ignorant)
they did a nice job of making me feel unwelcome and it was a lot like trying to argue with fanatical christians

Roux

Smash Journeyman
negative about bar warz-
i once tried to assimilate into that group of fighting game players. they are extremely anti melee (because they are just ignorant)
they did a nice job of making me feel unwelcome and it was a lot like trying to argue with fanatical christians
Good to know. Probably explains why they never messaged me back. I guess the only way to die in a real fighting game is for your life bar to run out T_T

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
seriously. melee has IMO the best defensive options of any fighting game ever (DI) and the combos are never identical / automatic like they are in all other fighters. you combo by reaction and tricking opponent's DI with unexpected moves. it's really a shame. an incredible game denied it's potential by elitists

Roux

Smash Journeyman
seriously. melee has IMO the best defensive options of any fighting game ever (DI) and the combos are never identical / automatic like they are in all other fighters. you combo by reaction and tricking opponent's DI with unexpected moves. it's really a shame. an incredible game denied it's potential by elitists
Yeah, I agree. I got in to Soul Calibur II for a brief time in HS... I soon just ended up hating the concept of memorizing HUNDREDS of 20+ long streams of button combinations. Voldo was my character XD but that game got old pretty quick. I've been playing Melee for 11 years now, and whether casual or hard core, with/without alcohol, it is still the funnest game ever.

As far as being denied potential, since the Smash series is in a genre of its own, it will have to rely on its own following for events, publicity and popularity, etc. I know there is still potential for growth out there. I'm thinking that even though this Arch City Gaming place sounds a little lame for a SSBM tourney, I may still try to hold one there. They promote it to the public, so I bet a number of talented casual players may come out of the woodwork. Then we could get them plugged in with the rest of the melee community and see where that leads. Arch City also has a connection with a guy trying to promote 'fighting games' in STL (it would be nice if he considered smash a fighting game, but I'm not counting on it). Anyway, all that to say that just because we were denied membership by some narrow-viewed, conservative-minded gamers doesn't mean our potential is usurped. They probably had to start with nothing at some point as well, but they got together, got organized and now they have weekly/bi-weekly meetings and tourneys ... We can get there eventually too, after all we do have a better game ;)

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Update on the BarWarz thing... I finally got a response back from them a couple weeks ago. They said that ... well I'll just copy/paste part of the message:

"We currently have an idea for bringing a large Smash crowd in towards the end of the year, and as soon as we have more of an idea on when, we will get in touch for sure!"

Haven't heard anything yet... and it's getting close to the end of the year. Either way, there's some progress. I'll push on them if I don't hear anything soon. And smash tournies/events are lame if they're not organized by a smasher, so I'll do some advocating if they want to use only LCD tv's, or only allow use of house controllers. I'll keep posting updates as they come.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
yo so somebody mentioned to me that there are melee gatherings on thursday
i told him i couldn't go because my dota team (root) was practicing every thursday
well i just got the boot from root-gaming because i couldn't practice often enough with them so suddenly my thursdays are open

can i get some deets
also please do not be offended by my offensive name i am too lazy to make a new account and really don't want any trouble

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Alright, here is what we have so far for a tourney with STLBarWarz on Jan 4: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=330014

I don't expect people to come from all corners of the state for this one, but I am expecting a decent local turnout. Not ideal on the times, but it's something and it's development :)

MOJoe

Smash Cadet
yeah we have smashfests at my house every thursday, from around 4 until pretty late. i just PM'd you my number, hit me up if you're ever trying to come and i'll let you know my address and how to get there and stuff

also you should join our st louis melee facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/323513011041633/?bookmark_t=group
Hey, I live in St. Peters (40 minutes west of St. Louis), and I just got back into competitive smash the other day, so I'm rusty as well as still learning because I don't know of many competitive players. I only have one other competitive friend, so I need experience against many more people. I'd like to come to these Thursday smashfests if possible. (I'm 17 if that matters. I don't know what ages are welcome.)

Roux

Smash Journeyman
I just sent a request to join the facebook. My name is Joey Clemens
Cool, yeah we communicate most on that anyway.

The Thursday smashfests will probably reconvene in a few weeks once Bieber starts school again. 17 is cool. Youngling is still at SLUH, so there's a couple HS'ers.

SS4 Shinobi

Smash Cadet
ok, Sam and I (Sinister and Shinobi) have decided that it's time for the (mostly) missouri smash community to come together and have a nice friendly smashfest (hopefully reoccurring) for anyone in missouri that can come! KC, Springfield, St Louis, Como, Washington, Rolla, or anyone else are all welcome and encouraged to come and meet ur fellow missouri smashers and get better! It'll be here in columbia mo which is centrally located so people from all over missouri can come and play for most of us under or around a 2 hour drive. except poplar bluff :( which are still welcome to come! Depending on how many people can make it will decide when and where the smashfest will occur/be at. If more than 15 to 20 people can make it, then i will have to find somewhere other than my house for hosting, which i am very willing to do. This will hopefully either be on saturday march 2nd or sat march 16th, so its not conflicting with romo8 (rolla monthly) or smym 14. which ever one of those 2 dates more people can make it to, is when i'll schedule it. SO IF U CAN MAKE IT TO ONE OR BOTH OF THOSE 2 DATES AND WANNA COME, PLEASE TELL ME WHICH SO I CAN FIGURE OUT WHEN TO HAVE IT. We wanna have as many players as possible! Especially new smashers wanting more play time and experience with other players! This should be a great opportunity for meeting people and of course........playing smash! The more smashers u can bring, the cheaper gas will be, so bring everyone u can!

Roux

Smash Journeyman
Anyone interested in watching the St Louis crew talk trash and seeing their smashfests should tune into my streaming channel on twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/smashalaroux Quality on the first vid is rough, but it will get better.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCfgtYdoLEc&feature=youtu.be

Nebraska is having an all 4 smash games plus Dance Dance Revolution ITG tournament May 31st, ya'll should come

Free, HUGE venue, we had a good turnout the last few times and it's looking like it might be much larger than the last Roll Tier.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/1488899877989349/?ref_notif_type=plan_user_joined&source=1

Smashboards (with full rules and pictures of venue): http://smashboards.com/threads/may-...tion-all-4-smash-games-ddr-bellevue-ne.353806

Please come!

Top Bottom