• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

St.Louis Area Discussion Thread

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If they are starting at noon and we are supposed to be there until midnight, I should hope there will be doubles...

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Problem is that they won't have many setups.

Also I don't see how they'll possibly fit 40+ people in that room.

If there is doubles, you want to team Kyle?

I feel bad for the people who are going to show up at 8 PM because of the misprint on their fliers.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well, a set usually takes roughly 10 minutes, right? Two 3-4 minute matches with a little overhead, and an occasional third. Pools of 4 equals 6 sets per pool, or 15 minutes per person on a setup. Pools of 5 equals 10 sets, or 20 minutes per person on a setup. A double elimination bracket of course is ~64 sets with 32 people, so that's another 20 minutes per person. (It works out since brackets *should* move faster and have less overhead, although it gets bottlenecked towards the end.)

If we can get 5 setups, by this reckoning it would take about 3 hours each for both pools and brackets with 40 people. Teams would be half that, and that's assuming that everyone enters teams. We can easily fit both in an 11 hour span, with lots of eating time to boot. The important thing is to keep every setup occupied, especially in pools where load-balancing is an issue. For example, at Collinsville my 5-person 10-set pool that had two Jiggs in it finished before Legan's 4-person 6-set pool. Pools need to spread out their matches so that if they can use other setups as other pools finish early.

I still want it to be a Brawl tourney, though I'm obviously biased.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
they will have more TVs they just need ppl to bring cubes/smash discs...so everyone who can bring those please do so. also, if it were my tourney i would make doubles happen but its not up to me its up to the store. im sure after they realise how much time will be left over after singles they may go ahead and do doubles. also remember pro tourney sets go alot faster than noob sets.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
If a mostly noob tourney with a handful of skilled players with tourney directing experience can't run a 40 man singles and doubles over the course of 11 hours, even with food breaks, then that's epic failure on everyone's part.

Also, how many people, Wiis, and TVs are going to be at Geno's following? This is obviously very important.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Do they have actual TV's or just those tiny, possibly laggy monitors? I have a hard time imagining an entire pool congregating around one of those things.

3 hours is way too optimistic an estimate. I sure hope they have Doubles but I'm not holding my breath.

Edit: At least the doors are open at 10, that's nice.

Is Darkrain still coming? Is he staying at Geno's Friday night? Because there's no way he can leave KC in the morning and be here by 11:00 AM.

Edit 2: OMG it's SwitzerlandNOT

SamDvds

Smash Ace
they said they could get other TV's, but i guess if anyone has another tv they want to bring just incase that would be good. also, we can just stick all the noobs on the laggy tvs they wont care anyway lol. but i was just saying like, a match between 2 noobs tends to be like 5 or 6 minutes cause they dont know how to get fast KO's, while a 4 minute match is considered long for competitive play. and i imagine anyone with a wii will get brawl and bring it to geno's afterwards. Ill have a brawl setup and i told Jesi and Darkrain to bring their import setup so ppl can play the unlocked characters/stages.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well, we could always do 3 stock pools, or even a basic swiss ladder for seeding if we had a ton of people.

So how many Wiis and TVs do you think there will be? If including my console we have more than TVs, I'll have to come back to my place instead of Geno's.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
lmao deku i thought u were like ''i gotta team with my room mate peach smoothie'' i will LOL if zig gets to team with darkrain

btw im housing dark & jesi

Dekuschrub

Smash Master
zig we can win!!

hahah yeah i shouldn't get worked up. I'm just excited to go to a tourney after so longggg :(

i'm actually pretty stoked about brawl... everyone that has it seems to like it...

only1Z

Smash Champion
Does that mean that they might actually be starting at 8 :p Singles for 12 hours seems a lil farfetched.

SamDvds

Smash Ace
they just dont know how tournaments run..i told them what to expect and they still think singles will take all day...so just wait til after singles is over and im sure we can convice them to do doubles

Top Bottom