• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBU - What are your nitpicks?

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Wolf's foward tilt carries players who are about as good at edge guarding as Soulja Boy is at rapping.
lol

I mean, I guess I feel the same about Ike's nair continuing to confirm into any kill move he wants up to something crazy like 130 :)

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ugh, I hate Ike's nair. For the game to seem to have wanted to move away from over reliance on a single move, why does that nair exist?

Ryan.

Smash Lord
Yeah as TheDuke54 said I don't necessarily want echoes taken out of the game. Ideally, I just wish they were more different. But as they stand right now, I would prefer them to just be skins like Alph. The stacked option is nice, I just found it and stated using it today, but also like JiggyNinja said, echos give false expectations and I don't really care about them having all the alts or the victory theme. Great for those who do, but I feel like those are the same people that are settling for the very least and are just happy that their favorite character is in the game. They would much rather them be unique, but we know with development time that isn't always possible for Sakurai and his team. I was at that point with certain characters myself like Impa and Dixie Kong but I'm over it now. It's still a great game without them in it.

But alas, it's a nitpick, which is why I mentioned it here. Nothing game breaking.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ugh, I hate Ike's nair. For the game to seem to have wanted to move away from over reliance on a single move, why does that nair exist?
It's most likely a counterbalance due to Ike's other tools, mainly his normals and grab/throws being nerfed. They most likely wanted him off the ground, and in the air more often. In that regard... they may have succeeded too well...

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
it's the own players fault for having such expectations when sakurai has explained already that there carbon copys. I will gladly take my extra dessert thank you.

also putting I don't care on things you can not debate against does an argument make not.
Exactly when did Sakurai explain that? I watched all the directs for this game and he never said they'd be so identical. If it was during the Smash 4 days, I already said that I skipped over Smash 4 (because I ignored the Wii U entirely).

You're right that "I don't care" isn't an argument. That's because this isn't an argument. I stated why I was so disappointed in the Echo Fighters and explained why I felt that way. You stated that you like them (or are at least OK with them) and explained why. You came up with reasons to have them in the roster, and I said that those reasons don't have any worth for me. There's no way either of us will come to an agreement on this because we have different subjective preferences.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
they kept other M suit design for Samus and with no alternative
Which one do you suggest instead? Samus returns wasn't final when Smash was developed.
I like the Other M design, looks very sleek and agile. Much better than the Brawl version.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Which one do you suggest instead? Samus returns wasn't final when Smash was developed.
I like the Other M design, looks very sleek and agile. Much better than the Brawl version.
I like Super and Other M designs better than Samus Returns.

CircularSaw

Smash Rookie
I don't care that much about Samus returns suit, actually, even if I think it looks awesome. All I want is good old Varia. And why not power suit as an alternative skin ? Fusion suit would be pretty cool too.

I disagree with Other M design tho. Yeah, the design may be sleek and agile or whatever but it doesn't reflect the strong and badass Samus Aran I liked, before her infamous personality change from Other M. Call me a purist, but Super Metroid still is the most praised game in the serie anyway. If Link still have his classic skin as an alternative, why not Samus ?

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I don't care that much about Samus returns suit, actually, even if I think it looks awesome. All I want is good old Varia. And why not power suit as an alternative skin ? Fusion suit would be pretty cool too.

I disagree with Other M design tho. Yeah, the design may be sleek and agile or whatever but it doesn't reflect the strong and badass Samus Aran I liked, before her infamous personality change from Other M. Call me a purist, but Super Metroid still is the most praised game in the serie anyway. If Link still have his classic skin as an alternative, why not Samus ?
Link's Tunic of the Wild is still from BotW. In other words, it's still not the classic design.

Last edited:

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I made this image showcasing some small gripes I have that I hope can be fixed in patches:
SuperNitpick.png

CircularSaw

Smash Rookie
Link's Tunic of the Wild is still from BotW. In other words, it's still not a classic design.
Tunic of the Wild is heavily inspired by his classic design tho, wouldn't you agree ? And from all the tunics in BotW, they clearly took this one, in smash, because of it's nostalgia value. If my example still not valid, look at Wario and his classic design then. So why not Samus ?

Last edited:

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Make Fighter Spirits not worthless please.
At least let them enhance the character that the spirit's portraying. I feel as if they were trying to replicate the feeling of the fighter trophies in previous entries but kept their function (or lack thereof) Perhaps you could also unlock the character's Fighter Spirit after unlocking them in World of Light.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Tunic of the Wild is heavily inspired by his classic design, wouldn't you agree ? And from all the tunics in BotW, they clearly took this one, in smash, because of it's nostalgia value. If my example still not valid, look at Wario and his classic design then. So why not Samus ?
Because Link and Wario doesn't have different propotions in their alts.

CircularSaw

Smash Rookie
Because Link and Wario doesn't have different propotions in their alts.
Different proportions ? What do you mean ?

If you're talking about the complexity of the 3D model, I don't see how this is harder to make than Link and Wario alts. I mean, I work in the 3D industry and while character modeling isn't exactly my expertise, I know it's not that hard.

Last edited:

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice

I can agree to a degree. Samus has a lot of potential in her skins; I was merely asking which one you prefer.
Fusion suit would be the greatest thing ever; I was hoping for it ever since Wario got his old look in Brawl.
The good old Varia from Super and Prime is a bit too bulky for my taste (at least for a fighting game - in her home series it looks awesome), but to each their own.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I dislike how grabs are nerfed. It would give more combo oppertunities to characters who rely on them, and diverse the meta game more. Imagine characters as Diddy and Mario becoming way more popular if they'd just buff grabs.

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
I dislike how grabs are nerfed. It would give more combo oppertunities to characters who rely on them, and diverse the meta game more. Imagine characters as Diddy and Mario becoming way more popular if they'd just buff grabs.
Personally, I like it that way. Spices up the game a bit.

Jaro235

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-3773-6120-6819
I miss Smash run, Yoshi’s victory theme is awful in this game, there are too many echo fighters, and Marth speaks English,

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
- You can't play squad strike online
- If you pick "hazards off" as your online stage preference, you still get a bunch of crappy stages like 75m and Mario Bros
- Random still doesn't select the Miis
- The Hazards off version of some stages is worse than the original (ie, Smashville, Yoshi's Story, Fountain of Dreams)

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
- Random still doesn't select the Miis
Yeah, the Miis don't get enough love, man. It's dumb how they're not playable in Smash Down even as an option (with them only mistakenly advertising them as so one time... like just make it an option you guys). They're in the mural and some battles of Classic Mode but not playable in it themselves (they could at least be fighting combat, gunning and sword fighters). You don't even need to have all of them on the roster for the game to congratulate you for getting all the fighters! (to my initial confusion)

Maybe we could get a random character switch like we do for stages, with options for whether Mii fighters are included or not, whether characters have alt colours or not and whether more than one of the same character is in the same random selection or not. Is that overkill?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Necro-ing this thread because it's been bugging me the past few months.

The tiers for the Spirits are listed, in order of weakest to strongest, as:
  • Novice
  • Advanced
  • Ace
  • Legendary
I don't like that two of the tiers start with the same letter. I would change either Advanced or Ace to something different. "Elite" sounds like a good substitute imho but I'm sure there are other words we could use.

tiberus8

Smash Cadet
I kind of miss the Smash 64 days of the crowd cheering for the character you're playing as. I will admit that I don't like the crowd cheers in Smash 4/Ultimate. However, unlike a certain fool whose problem is completely different than mine, I will not let stress and everyday anger consume me and just enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
I don't like the "Ultimate" in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate:
- It sounds like it's the final game in the series. Sure, Nintendo will stop here and completely drop the Smash franchise. Right.
- I enjoy the game and appreciate the effort and care that was put into it, but for something that has "Ultimate" in the title, I expected more crazy reveals and announcements.
Super Smash Bros. Special (japanese title) doesn't sound as epic as "Ultimate", but to me is a better name.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
- I enjoy the game and appreciate the effort and care that was put into it, but for something that has "Ultimate" in the title, I expected more crazy reveals and announcements.
"Everyone is here" wasn't a crazy enough reveal for you?

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
"Everyone is here" wasn't a crazy enough reveal for you?
Not really... I mean, the moment when Snake appears was one the best moments in Smash history. But the rest of the returning characters ranged fron "good to eh". Sorry, Pichu and Young Link fans, but I felt nothing when I saw those two.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Oh, boy. As much as I love Ultimate, I've got a plethora of problems.

-Classic Mode's concept is ruined by the fact that the difficulty only increases when you rush a match and take little to no damage. And even then, you only get .6 at best regardless if you take no damage and/or finish in about 5 seconds tops.

-Even the Lv. 3 CPU is still the same whiny Mary Sue it was in Smash 4. This is especially apparent with the Legend Spirits, who might as well be carrying a "NO FUN ALLOWED" sign.

-Some of the shop items are way too expensive, considering how little I've earned even reaching 9.8 in Classic Mode.

-Speaking of Classic Mode, thanks for not giving me that .1 I needed to get to 9.9 just because I used a ticket, game.

-I love how their isn't even a short descriptive text to accompany a Spirit we don't know.

-No Target Test period. At least make it like Brawl, changing with each difficulty.

-Century Smash and Cruel Smash, that's it. Oh, and All-Star Smash, but why bother?

-Aside from Classic Mode, I shouldn't have to go to the part before the very last part of WoL to replay bosses.

-Speaking of bosses, too many Classic Mode routes end with Master Hand. What about Ganon for Roy, Galleom for Sheik, etc.?

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
-Classic Mode's concept is ruined by the fact that the difficulty only increases when you rush a match and take little to no damage. And even then, you only get .6 at best regardless if you take no damage and/or finish in about 5 seconds tops.

I've done a ton of Classic mode and it's nowhere near that bad. I try for under 30 seconds and under about 40%. The increase is also dependent on how high you already are. The first fight at 5.0 I usually only get 0.8 at most, but at higher difficulty I've gotten up to 1.3 before.

-Even the Lv. 3 CPU is still the same whiny Mary Sue it was in Smash 4. This is especially apparent with the Legend Spirits, who might as well be carrying a "NO FUN ALLOWED" sign.
Legends are supposed to be hard. A lot of the more normal ones (like Sukapon, Jirachi, Akira, etc) can be overpowered with Giant + Black Hole Ganondorf, and many others can be cheesed. Pauline loses to the Staff, Giga Mac and Donkey King & Lady lose to being backthrown by Samus...

-Some of the shop items are way too expensive, considering how little I've earned even reaching 9.8 in Classic Mode.
You can get Gold by fighting online or in Smash mode. Other than that yeah, Gold is pretty hard to accumulate compared to SP.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Not really... I mean, the moment when Snake appears was one the best moments in Smash history. But the rest of the returning characters ranged fron "good to eh". Sorry, Pichu and Young Link fans, but I felt nothing when I saw those two.
Yeah, the fun of Smash for me is seeing the newcomers. Namely third parties, for me. Seeing Snake come back was sort of neat, and I do like Young Link, but overall? Meh. There were a lot more third parties in Wii U that ran the risk of potentially not coming back, but we didn't have a game between to miss them like we did Snake. I realize that's an entitled feeling to have, I just wasn't expecting to lose them, I suppose, so Mega Man/Pac-Man/etc. returning was just a base expectation that was met. It felt given.

Frankly, I'm amazed there are still companies resisting the insane promotional boost that being in Smash provides. With a big a hit as Ultimate has been compared to the previous two entries, returning third parties is thankfully a goal that gets at least somewhat easier with each progressive Smash entry.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Single Player/WOL kind of sucks. Obviously better than what we got with the Wii U but it is weaker than the SSE from Brawl and Adventure mode from Melee. We didn't get many adventure modes outside of WOL either.

WOL could have been better if there was actual organization to the spirits (like the Street Fighter section). Put the Mario spirits together and DK spirits, etc. Instead we just got chaos with no connection.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I've done a ton of Classic mode and it's nowhere near that bad. I try for under 30 seconds and under about 40%. The increase is also dependent on how high you already are. The first fight at 5.0 I usually only get 0.8 at most, but at higher difficulty I've gotten up to 1.3 before.

Legends are supposed to be hard. A lot of the more normal ones (like Sukapon, Jirachi, Akira, etc) can be overpowered with Giant + Black Hole Ganondorf, and many others can be cheesed. Pauline loses to the Staff, Giga Mac and Donkey King & Lady lose to being backthrown by Samus...

You can get Gold by fighting online or in Smash mode. Other than that yeah, Gold is pretty hard to accumulate compared to SP.
I will say this, I am sick and tire of getting 9.8s on it lol. It is rigged.

Top Bottom