• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Opening: 3D, or Anime-Style?

Drake_Miriel

Smash Cadet
It's obvious Nintendo would use 3d. Generally, they'd want to take advantage of the more powerful graphics. Besides, I doubt they'd hire anime artists in addition to the other artists when they could just do it all with one team.

Ami

Smash Ace
I don't see why they should do it in anime (though it would be cool). It's like ... watching an anime series, and then the third episode's opening would be in CG-I.

I still haven't seen a good reason why they should make an anime opening (besides that they should try something new and that anime rocks) rather than CG-I.

Black/Light

Smash Master
But Im with Meyeselph, I like anime and I don't like the anime haten going on here. It's one thing to say that you like the 3D better but another WHOLE DIFFERENT thing to say anime is not "epic" enuff or that none of the game is done in anime.

ToS had a great anime opening/ ending and it realy did show you that the game was VERY epic (In fact, I wish they made a show about that game with that anime style.).

Also, theres a pretty good amount of anime style characters in the game already (FE characters, Zelda characters, all the Pokemon characters, the Kriby characters (Kriby and M.K.), Pitt and Zero (May be more).).

So you may not like the idea but you don't have to try to put down anime altogether to get your point across.
QFT (even if I quoted myself)

Im 50/50 on it. . . I don't care. It would be cool to have the anime as a unlockable/ opening imo.

And I fond the opening to ToS (the greatest game I'v ever played). It's a 3D game with a anime opening/ cut-scenes/ ending. http://youtube.com/watch?v=5Dlmjpdfxz0

And seeing as there are already ALOT of anime styled characters in the game I see no reason for it not to have it. It would be a cool change and seeing as anime is very populare I can see alot of people liking it.

And Ami, if it's true their making a cartoon for ToS in Japan I don't care how I do it I will see that cartoon.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
3d opening, anime would be weird like i hated the opening to sonic riders plus the melee opening was great and it was in 3d

SmashFi3nd

Smash Apprentice
altho it would very cool to see ppl like link, pit, and samus in an anime opening i doubt its gonna happen. nintendo is gonna go with the 3D opening like melee. (id really be pissed if i saw a character i really wanted to play with in the opening and hes not able to be picked such as Ridley like in melee)

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Whatever way Nintendo decide to create the SSBB Opening I'm sure I'll love it. :)

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
use your head if ssb64 was 3D and ssbm was 3D What makes you think ssbb intro will be animated or anime style i hope this was not a serious question:psycho:

Sensai

Smash Master
I don't understand why anyone would even think that it might be something other the 3d.

Smash 64 was 3d, Melee was 3d, everything we've seen about Brawl has been in 3d...so they're going to make the opening in an anime style?

No. No, not at all. Just no.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Um... the game itself is 3D, why make it anime styled? Perhaps it works that way sometimes, but I seriously doubt it will with this game. Still, seeing an anime version of some of the characters might be cool, but not cool enough to constitute the opening not being 3D. :p

Kadian

Smash Apprentice
Like xelad1 said. Since they put all the effort to create 3D models of all the characters, IDK, maybe they would like to use them? Them Capcom fighters and Megaman are primarily 2D character models, which is why it would make sense to animate it that way. Also, we've already seen the Subspace Emisssary movies done in "traditional" 3D.

About anime....

Anime is a medium of expression. It is a way to tell a story, as broad as writing a novel or filming a Hollywood movie. The percieved "quality" of any specific anime series depends on the effort, care, and talent of its staff, the size of the production budget, and most of all, your personal preferences. Just as American telivision programs differ greatly in genre types, musical direction, style, and target audience, so do anime. It just happens that most anime that gets exposure on American cable networks are aimed for kids under 15-ish.

It is ignorant to make sweeping generalizations about anime other than "it is animated" and "it comes from Japan".

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^^

I'm going to assume you know he's joking...right? I really really hope you can tell...

Given, I can't tell if you KNOW he's joking or not. But I have faith that you're not an idiot....right?

Right? You're not an idiot....right?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I think it would be cool to have the 3D like Melees and at the end its like half of the starters running toward the other half. And right before they clash it turns into a cool effect anime looking frame...

-Onyx

Darkurai

Smash Master
Looking back, Melee's opening was mostly the original trailer.

Hint hint.

RokkuManZer0

Smash Apprentice
Looking back, Melee's opening was mostly the original trailer.

Hint hint.
Melee's original trailer was a freakin' cutscene that didn't have any gameplay footage and all. It continued the trend from the SSB64 one. I think SSBB will follow this trend.

As for this anime debate, it's pointless. It's hip to hate anime since they're cartoons, so they're childish. Right? Right?

I love the "anime looks stupid" statements. You guys hate most of the character designs in Brawl eh? Most of them have the anime-ish feeling to them. Oh yes. Look at Pit, Ike, Zamus, Pokémon Trainer, Mario, Peach, Link, Zelda, Fox, Kirby, Pikachu (hope you got the point by now), Samus, Bowser, Yoshi, Metaknight and whoever I missed on the site's character list. Can you see those big round eyes? Good.
I'm not saying every character will have an anime-ish feeling to them, but the ones present on the site at the moment, do.

As for the anime or CG opening debate. Hands down it will be CG. It wouldn't make any sense to make an anime opening for Brawl. It would look out of place since models are full fledged 3D. Anime openings fit RPGs, 2D beat'em'ups, Celshaded games and Anime games (this one's a shocker).

Drake3

Smash Ace
I expect alot of the opening since the first 2 were amazing.

I forgot to mention: 3D. )

Limey

Smash Fan
BRoomer
3D, hands down. I loved the Melee intro so much, it gave me goosebumps, but i don't think it would have had the same effect had it been anime.

Puffs

Smash Ace
Prerendered starter parade using clever transitions and showing each character in their incredible day-to-day lives. Then cutting to impressive shots of them fighting each other, and then all of them being present during an explosion. Just like the previous two.

Top Bottom