• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSBB Opening: 3D, or Anime-Style?

parrothead

Smash Lord
That SSB64 commercial never made me laugh when I first saw it, but it made me excited about SSB64 being released. It is not one of the best commercials I've ever seen.

If Sakurai doesn't want anime characters, he really means ones like Goku (DragonBall series), Inuyasha (Inuyasha), Chiyo (Azumanga Daioh!), and any Kinnikuman wrestler. Rick Wheeler from the F-ZERO anime is more than an anime character, he also appeared in the GBA version of the anime and the most recent, F-ZERO Climax.

This topic is about whether the SSBB opening would be CGI-style or anime-style. Anime doesn't suck, it took a lot more work than most non-Anime cartoons.

meteorstorm42

Smash Apprentice
I like the Namco X Capcom opening *just wants to fight as KOSMOS*

But on topic, they'd have to design the anime versions of the characters to all fit in together.... and they already have (or will have) the 3D models, so yeah...

But I do hope the opening will be slightly more frantic than previous Smash games. Those openings sort of introduced all the characters coming together for the Smash game. Maybe now they can increase the pace/flashyness a bit?

Kankaku

Smash Cadet
I would certainly prefer 3D over anime. It just suits the game more, and it's always been that way. Why change it now?

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
3d.
An anime opening simply don't seem like what nintendo would do.

And also, it's stupid to make an anime opening for a game having nothing to do with anime, only 3 characters even look anime-like thus far, assuming the fire emblem characters stay

SR7884

Smash Apprentice
Ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong ying tong
the opening should exploit the power of the Wii, amaze the player, make them want to play it (if they are THAT superifical.....but as with any advertisement you are drawn in with the visual reperesentation)....

anime opening would just look crap.....no offense to anime fans, but I don't like it at all.....doesn't amaze me or even interest me in the least....

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
3D is fine, SSBM's opening was cool, but for some reason I think an anime opening would rock too, just look at MegaMan X4. had anime opening and cutscenes and its regarded as the best game in the X series.

But Nintendo and Hal dont seem to do anime that much, so 3D is probably what we get.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
3D.

3D is WAY more 'epic' than anime style. And 'epic' seems to be what they're going for with the new theme song and supers and level designs and .... [basically everything].

Also, the anime is only really cool when the game and characters are anime style and fit that style. Now, I know any of the "Tales" games would be so much less cool if they were not anime style, because that's how they fitted themselves, and it worked...luckily because anime is harder to pull off.

Meyeselph

Smash Apprentice
Smash brothers is not anime so I would say 3D

Still I don't like the dissing of anime going on around here. Anime is plenty epic. Just look at Akira. *nyaaa*

Rosseh!

Smash Rookie
While I like traditionally animated intros I would have to say 3D, it just suits Smash bros a lot better.

Wizzlecroff

Smash Ace
Azukki said:
3d.
An anime opening simply don't seem like what nintendo would do.

And also, it's stupid to make an anime opening for a game having nothing to do with anime, only 3 characters even look anime-like thus far, assuming the fire emblem characters stay
It doesn't seem like it because it isn't.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
If the opening movie is anime I will cut off all my limbs, eat them, set myself on fire, stick a grenade down my throat, and jump off a cliff (With a spike bed at the bottom) while listening to My Chemical Romance.

It won't happen. Trust me.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Im cool with both. Look at that Capcom one. . . IT'S RAW AS H@LL!!!

But Im with Meyeselph, I like anime and I don't like the anime haten going on here. It's one thing to say that you like the 3D better but another WHOLE DIFFERENT thing to say anime is not "epic" enuff or that none of the game is done in anime.

ToS had a great anime opening/ ending and it realy did show you that the game was VERY epic (In fact, I wish they made a show about that game with that anime style.).

Also, theres a pretty good amount of anime style characters in the game already (FE characters, Zelda characters, all the Pokemon characters, the Kriby characters (Kriby and M.K.), Pitt and Zero (May be more).).

So you may not like the idea but you don't have to try to put down anime altogether to get your point across.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
As much as I love a good anime, which is a lot, I'm gonna have to stick with a 3D intro. Maybe with all the Square-Enix support, they can get the AC team to do it...but probably not... I did love the Melee intro, though, definitely one of the better intros of all time. I did like the cheesyness of the 64 intro, too, but...why is Star Fox 64 theme part of the song? I never got why they did that...

The song in the commercial is "Happy Together" by The Turtles.

shoguning

Smash Cadet
The opening is going to be 3D. Not to be a hater, but anime openings are for anime games and 3D openings are for 3D games. Not to mention, Sakurai has announced that the soundtrack will be sung in Latin which will give the game a serious feel making anime even more out of place.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Why Anime? Why not just a cartoon opening done in a similar style to the cover of the N64 box(Or perhaps a little more serious than that, if we take the Nobuo theme song into account). Not all things video-gamish and japanese needs to be strictly "Anime"-like in presentation.

Just look at the game Killer7. specifically the "Cloudman" chapter. It's done in a dusty sepia cartoon style that is very different from the actual Anime-style done later.

Black/Light

Smash Master
shoguning said:
The opening is going to be 3D. Not to be a hater, but anime openings are for anime games and 3D openings are for 3D games. Not to mention, Sakurai has announced that the soundtrack will be sung in Latin which will give the game a serious feel making anime even more out of place.

Like I said, theres a pretty good amount of ANIME like characters in the game and anime can be VERY serious. . . Why would in not be?

And theres alot of 3D games that have anime openings.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I did read on wiki that Nintendo would go into anime liscensing. Maybe they'll suprise us. I mean, they've already had Mario Bros. animes, Fire Emblem animes, F-Zero animes, Pokemon animes, Metroid Manga, Legend of Zelda mangas, and I think anime could work. It'd be fun.

R4WRAWR

Smash Cadet
Hyper-Link said:
Cuz Geno Night, you said Anime sucks like something a 12 year old "newb" would say.

Anime doesn't suck. And I'm black, and I only know a few friends that love anime. If I can love it, so can you
u rox my sox,if it was anime it wouldnt be as right as 3D, it would pretty much kill the intro ya know,BUT-what if you complete everything in brawl and you can get an alternate(anime) intro ehhhh?? :p

Peeze

Smash Master
I don't think they would put an anime intro to a 3d game thats like having a cartoon opening for the evening news. how would that fit or make sense.( i think?)

Kujirudo

Smash Lord
Are you kidding me? 3D for God's sake. Guys, I love Anime but a SSBB Anime opening would be so... cheesy. This game is a 3D game(at least SSB64 and SSBM were like that, and according to what we know about SSBB right know, it's probally 3D too) so an Anime opening wouldn't fit in this game.

REØ

Smash Lord
I would highly prefer 3D over Anime anytime, it just wouldn't look good imo, and why select anime over Wii's impressive 3D graphics?

Ami

Smash Ace
Very true. Ever seen Tales of Symphonia? Freakin' excellent.
Rock on to those who mentioned Tales of Symphonia. Definitely one of the best games ever, for me.

And for those who have said anime sucks ... well, that's your opinion so don't say it like it's a fact.

I think an anime opening would be cool, but it isn't very fitting for Smash like the others have said. In 64 and Melee they had a CGI opening, so I don't see why they wouldn't in Brawl. I mean, if they're gonna have both, super, but I definitely want CGI. Besides, Link/Samus/Roy/Marth, etc have already been shown in anime form. Seeing them in 3-D is super cool.

Im cool with both. Look at that Capcom one. . . IT'S RAW AS H@LL!!!

But Im with Meyeselph, I like anime and I don't like the anime haten going on here. It's one thing to say that you like the 3D better but another WHOLE DIFFERENT thing to say anime is not "epic" enuff or that none of the game is done in anime.

ToS had a great anime opening/ ending and it realy did show you that the game was VERY epic (In fact, I wish they made a show about that game with that anime style.).

Also, theres a pretty good amount of anime style characters in the game already (FE characters, Zelda characters, all the Pokemon characters, the Kriby characters (Kriby and M.K.), Pitt and Zero (May be more).).

So you may not like the idea but you don't have to try to put down anime altogether to get your point across.
I think they're making the anime, but it'll be released in Japan, so I'm not sure if it'll be aired here. It will most likely be fansubbed, but I can't wait!

And whoever asked what that song was for the trailer, I believe it's "Happy Together", and sung by various bands.

Top Bottom