• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Eastern characters exist in Smash because Nintendo is a Japanese company.

Lucas is from a Japan-only game, as were Marth and Roy for a while.

The reason Brawl didn't have as many Eastern-only characters is because Fire Emblem went international.

Sehnsucht

The Marquis of Sass
BRoomer
Takamaru hasn't had a game in years if I'm not mistaken so I'm not sure if numbers will help. I do think he'll be in as a retro character though probably with a brand new design. And you're reassuring my point. Brawl (the most recent smash game as statistics from melee aren't necessarily accurate anymore) had barely any Eastern centric characters and the ones that you may consider easter centric either had some sort of big following in the west or were WTF characters no matter where you lived. When you look at Brawl's cast, the newcomers were either very recognizable all over the world, or were more western centric. And we're already seeing that same idea reflected in the announced newcomers. They're all big names, even Little Mac is recognizable. No one "leaked" Rosalina when she should have been more expected from the beginning rather than these Japanese characters, yet still before and after she was revealed the leakers are still resorting to these crazy one off Eastern characters.
It's not all about sales and popularity. Ice Climbers and Pit were added as oldschool Nintendo characters; Game & Watch and R.O.B. were added to represent aspects of Nintendo history (the Game & Watch handheld system, and the R.O.B. accessory).

Some characters are added because their franchises are (or have become) popular and/or successful (e.g. Villager); others are added to existing franchises due to being notable in such franchises (e.g. Rosalina); others are added due to popularity and demand (e.g. Little Mac, so far as the West is concerned).

Big Names are certainly worthwhile additions. But that's not the way Sakurai rolls; he won't focus exclusively on adding the Big Names of the Day. If past Smash titles are of any indication, he'll add Big Names, true, but he'll also add characters that serve to illustrate Nintendo's 30+ year gaming history, as well as characters that are highly unique. And of course, he'll throw one or two surprises into the mix (e.g. Wii Fit Trainer).

tl;dr -- we can expect a few more "obscure" or "Japanese-centric" picks, but we can also expect a few more heavy-hitters, and other deserving characters in a Nintendo crossover game.

I suspect that this is veering off-topic, so I recommend we bring this tangent to a close.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
Huh, with the abundance of new leaks (two, but that's more then on a typical day) I figured this thread wouldn't have too much trouble staying on topic.

Who was I kidding...
:rolleyes:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Eastern characters exist in Smash because Nintendo is a Japanese company.

Lucas is from a Japan-only game, as were Marth and Roy for a while.

The reason Brawl didn't have as many Eastern-only characters is because Fire Emblem went international.
Saying the reason Brawl didn't have as many Eastern centric characters is because Fire Emblem went international isn't a valid enough reason to justify why Brawl suddenly did not feature Eastern characters and now suddenly Smash 4 will introduce them. 53% of Smash 64's sales were in North America. 62% of Melee's sales were in North America. And then Brawl comes out and still over half of the sales are in North America with 6 million sales. Now before someone tells me sales don't matter, let's consider how the Wii U is doing. Can Nintendo really take a chance at missing out on some of the Western audience by having Smash 4 feature so many Eastern characters? Beond Takamaru and Shulk it does not make any sense. I haven't seen enough additions to big name titles worldwide rosters' to justify adding other Japanese characters yet. Once I see Bowser Jr, Dixie, Toas, Mewtwo, Ghiriahim/another Zelda rep, Character from Wonderful 101 (had a huge marketing push in the US even though it did not sell well, so it's recognizable), heck even Sandbag, then I will think adding these Eastern characters is a good idea.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
None of this marketing/sales talk has anything to do with rumors/leaks at this point, Con0rrr. Take it to another thread.
Sorry Ismar didn't expect that debate to carry on as long as it did. Back to leaks.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Takamaru hasn't had a game in years if I'm not mistaken so I'm not sure if numbers will help. I do think he'll be in as a retro character though probably with a brand new design. And you're reassuring my point. Brawl (the most recent smash game as statistics from melee aren't necessarily accurate anymore) had barely any Eastern centric characters and the ones that you may consider easter centric either had some sort of big following in the west or were WTF characters no matter where you lived. When you look at Brawl's cast, the newcomers were either very recognizable all over the world, or were more western centric. And we're already seeing that same idea reflected in the announced newcomers. They're all big names, even Little Mac is recognizable. No one "leaked" Rosalina when she should have been more expected from the beginning rather than these Japanese characters, yet still before and after she was revealed the leakers are still resorting to these crazy one off Eastern characters.

And thanks Banjodorf for the welcome! What you're saying was sort of what I was trying to say. That at least Shulk and Takamaru have some chance over these other characters.
This whole argument borders on ridiculous when you consider how heavily Eastern both Earthbound and Fire Emblem are in heritage, and yet four characters from these series made Brawl. Even now Fire Emblem is just taking root with Awakening in the Western world. Throw in the characters mentioned by others above and it's clear Smash is an Eastern/Western game, and deservedly so. I may not particularly like Takamaru, but that's no reason for him not to be included because he isn't such a hit in the West. Nintendo is a Japanese game by a Japanese company and we're damn lucky the game appeals so widely to the West, instead of aligning itself more heavily with Japan. For me, and I'm sure many others, it wouldn't be half the game it is without the cultural melting pot of characters included.

Now give me Shulk.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
Don't worry, NO ONE has EVER been successful at leaking Nintendo Direct.

Plus why are people are using Bandai Namco? Yes, they're developing Smash, but they haven't been acknowledged or heard from in MONTHS.

Sigh... people can't do their damn homework.:glare:
Exactly what I was thinking. It really doesn't seem like Namco to go leaking information. Most times it's "an employee at Nintendo." Then again, changing it up so it's Namco's fault this time makes it seem more believable. :p

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I highly doubt there will be any legitimate leaks until like right before the Direct. Somebody just might be able to get their mitts on the URL for the pages or something and then leak it.

But that would be so last minute I don't know that it would be considered a leak.

esmooov

Smash Rookie
While what you have found is very interesting, I think this just goes to show that sales statistics mean bugger all when it comes to selecting newcomers.
Haha, yes! This seems to be the case, indeed. Obviously, there are outliers like ROB and Ice Climbers (retros as seems to be the term, here). But even within the established franchises, there aren't strong patterns -- other than lots for the Mario-Zelda-Poke holy trinity. The only real surprise for me was just how much DK seems to be actually growing in popularity share. It's made me a Dixie/K. Rool/Cranky believer.

Also, thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Long time lurker. Couldn't keep off the hype train any longer. Cheers.

Gaxel

Smash Ace
The leak saying Shulk will be the only Direct reveal is underwhelming.

Not that I don't like Shulk, it's that no one knows what Xenoblade even is because if you even want the game you need to shell out $100.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN

Not that I don't like Shulk, it's that no one knows what Xenoblade even is because if you even want the game you need to shell out $100.
Gamestop price recently dropped to $50. Power Up members get it for less.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes

I got it for £20 (around $30?) on eBay with the classic controller in original packaging a few months back. It's really not as expensive or difficult to get ahold of as people like to make out. :)

Ta1nted_4ngel29

Smash Ace
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Yeah...man, why do the one-shot Zelda villain characters have to be so cool and interesting and Smash-moveset-makeable, only to be...one shot Zelda villains with virtually no chance? Sigh.

I'd take Girahim, Zant, Midna+Wolf Link over any other 5th zelda rep possibility.
Masked Link that transforms into the other 4 forms with the B + down smash (like PKMN Trainer/Zelda & Sheik) and Final Smash?

Ghirahim- Don't want a Zelda newcomer but i we have to have one make it Mask Salesman or Tingle (Which both won't happen either)

Happy Mask Salesman over Masked Link?

Last edited:

DangerDamage

Smash Journeyman
Related to leaks in some way - How do you find unlisted YouTube videos like people did with past directs?

If someone knows how and is reading this, please do try and see if you can find Nintendo's video before the direct is posted, thanks. I mean it could be up right now and we have no idea.

Skyblazer

Smash Rookie
Related to leaks in some way - How do you find unlisted YouTube videos like people did with past directs?

If someone knows how and is reading this, please do try and see if you can find Nintendo's video before the direct is posted, thanks. I mean it could be up right now and we have no idea.
Assuming it is already uploaded, it's pretty doubtful that it's just unlisted. I'm sure it's still set to private for the official Nintendo channel and it'll probably stay that way until a few hours leading up to the actual Direct so even if it does leak, it won't have enough time to circulate too significantly. At least, that makes more sense than running the risk of having the entire thing leak more than a day beforehand. Not saying people shouldn't look regardless, if they want, just that it's still a bit too early to start getting excited.

gameb0ybryan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RadRadical
Word on the street is that the Phantom in Zelda's screenshot will be related somehow in the direct.

Edit: Also, Shulk is likely to be in the direct. The developer of Xenoblade made a tweet stating her excitement for smash bros. This is also weird because if anyone remembers, Shulk's VA also claims he was doing some more voice work for a Nintendo game. He just said he's working on another game "that he can't say what it is yet, but he was very pleased to see it trending on twitter when it was announced." This was March 2013, so after Smash 4 got announced, but before any of the trailers got released. PlusSakurai tweeted this:

Last edited:

Gabeking54

Smash Journeyman
Word on the street is that the Phantom in Zelda's screenshot will be related somehow in the direct.

Edit: Also, Shulk is likely to be in the direct. The developer of Xenoblade made a tweet stating her excitement for smash bros. This is also weird because if anyone remembers, Shulk's VA also claims he was doing some more voice work for a Nintendo game. He just said he's working on another game "that he can't say what it is yet, but he was very pleased to see it trending on twitter when it was announced." This was March 2013, so after Smash 4 got announced, but before any of the trailers got released. PlusSakurai tweeted this:
Can someone direct me to this phantom screenshot?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Wh-what!? I hadn't seen that before! That changes my perspective on everything, because it means Sakurai might be a fan of the game! Holy ****.

No hype levels! DOWN! It's going to be Mii! It's going to be Miis, and you're going to be sad! NO EXCITEMENT! STOP!

The hype is almost overwhelming!!

Can someone direct me to this phantom screenshot?
Here it is!

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

He didn't say Nintendo, he just said it was a project that he's working on. It could be Smash, but it could've been another project he is/was working on, like Dragon Age.

Edit: Here's the original interview for those curious.

Last edited:

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Maybe something related to metroid? Some in-game name or so... Maybe the direct will give us some info

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I predict Tom Nook and Ridley to be revealed in the direct, we kinda are getting hints from Sakuria we could have another but it depends on tomorrow's PotD
If Nook is playable I can't see them revealing both characters in a new playable franchise before games release.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Regarding this "Smash 6"-thing. ( http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/07/report-bandai-namco-recruiting-smash-bros-game-coming-2015/ )

What if they are doing a Melee remake? Considering how much coverage, hype and momentum that game recently got again, even after 14(?) years. Releasing a meleeHD remake/update (online play, fixed bugs, updated balance, possibility of balance patches and new characters/stages?) for WiiU could probably net them a nice profit. Melee still pulls big viewer numbers at big events and why wouldn't Nintendo want that to be and evolveve on the WiiU? Free commercial for the console and the game itself would probably generate alot of sales. Perhaps release it bundled together with a remake of the GC-controller. I mean, Sakurai is probably done with Smash after smashU & 3DS (atleast so it seems). I'd see Namco be willing to step in too remake/update and balance melee. Since one of their higher ups (tekken leader if iirc) talked so fondly about it and how he discovered it's amazing competetive sides + all the coverage it got last period. I think its a lucrative project to take on for developers.

It's not something I consider very likely (especialy considering how uninterested or unaware Nintendo has been of competetive scenes), but a long shot possibility if the add was in fact real and not a misstake. If it is something, I'll guess we might find out tommorrow (or at E3).

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
True, Nook would be an awesome unlockable but as a pre-release he wouldn't add much that Villager already hasn't

T

Trick or Treat

Literally did not see the post right above mine with this same information. Oops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Take it with a serious grain of salt. I'd wait for an official word or a release date from the Big N. The fact that the page was taken down is very.. fishy to me. Sakurai's made his claim and unless the game is that big then it's not really going to happen with a delay until later in the year.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
A Direct's a pretty good time to reveal more obscure characters, especially when compared to E3. Somebody like Shulk or Chrom makes a lot of sense for a Direct reveal.

http://nintendoeverything.com/bandai-namco-hiring-for-smash-bros-6-which-launches-next-year/

Not really sure where to post this, but here. I don't know what to think, now...
Sakurai has promised that SSB4 will be out before the end of 2014.

I believe Sakurai more than I believe some random, unverified website article.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Nintendo isn't going to do a Melee remake. There's no reason or demand for it. A Melee remake would only appeal to the niche competitive community, and those guys have no problems playing Melee right now.

Most likely the author of the initial article was either misinformed or trolling for page views.

I would be extremely shocked if SSB4 was delayed past Q4 2014 given how adamant Sakurai has been about a 2014 release.

Saw a comment that suggested it might be for DLC if true. Sounds like the likeliest explanation to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom