• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hmm. True, but just putting up the video and then advertising said video on the Smash site would be easy as well. Not all Smash fans watch the Directs (I know I didn't watch the one where Rosalina was announced), but all of them check the Smash site when it gets updated.
Exactly, I don't watch them either. I just go straight to the website where the video is embedded. If that somehow doesn't work, journalists always report on big reveals anyways. It isn't like Directs are the most effective way to promote a reveal, but it broadens your potential audience, I suppose.

A lot of people assume that a Direct is required as each newcomer will come with a unique trailer. You are correct though, it isn't mandatory that a reveal is on a Direct. However, that is the easiest way to do it.
It also maximizes potential viewership. A lot more people are going to watch the Direct and see the other games being shown off if they think a Smash character is going to show up.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
And plus, it's not like all newcomers will come through Directs. It's highly possible, but just because we've had all our newcomers so far being announced through Directs, doesn't mean all of them will be. Villager, Mega Man, and Wii Fit Trainer were all revealed in Directs because that was the day of the game's announcement. Rosalina, I have no excuse for. It's just possible some of them will be announced without Directs, and the video to go along with them (if they have one) will just be uploaded to the Smash Bros channel.
Well sure its possible but when you make a video to reveal a character and you want everyone to see it would you A: put it in a website on some random day hoping people will see it? or B: have it in a big monthly Nintendo video that is announced across the media so that everyone sees it AND have it on the website?

Sakurai said he wants to capitalize on character reveal videos being spread throughout the internet this time. Thats part of the reason for no Subspace cutscenes. The whole character video thing here http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304

EDIT: Sorry to be like the third dude to blast you with the same thing... I guess I'm just a slow moe

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Exactly, I don't watch them either. I just go straight to the website where the video is embedded. If that somehow doesn't work, journalists always report on big reveals anyways. It isn't like Directs are the most effective way to promote a reveal, but it broadens your potential audience, I suppose.
It also maximizes potential viewership. A lot more people are going to watch the Direct and see the other games they're showing off if they think a Smash character is going to show up.
Yes, that much is true. If people who don't follow Smash are watching a Direct, and see the newest fighter being revealed, they'll most likely get intrigued. But I still think that, if you wanted to announce a newcomer, a Direct is not the only way of doing it. Just because it's been a trend thus far, doesn't mean it's gonna stay that way.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729
Yea another thing about that leak. I think the rule for newcomers is every six months. I would love to be wrong but as far as I can tell thats what it seems like. Even though Wii fit trainer was revealed on the same day it still wasnt the initial reveal. Then Rosalina six months later. I mean getting Shulk on the 30th is a just a little
I'm 90% sure that every international direct from now til the release will showcase a newcomer

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't they have announced a direct by now? This new rumor is just wacky. Random cut characters that make no sense, though I'm glad to see Falco gone if this is true. Hades, Waluigi. The **** is this?

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Well sure its possible but when you make a video to reveal a character and you want everyone to see it would you A: put it in a website on some random day hoping people will see it? or B: have it in a big monthly Nintendo video that is announced across the media so that everyone sees it AND have it on the website?

Sakurai said he wants to capitalize on character reveal videos being spread throughout the internet this time. Thats part of the reason for no Subspace cutscenes. The whole character video thing here http://kotaku.com/the-next-super-smash-bros-wont-have-a-story-mode-or-c-906856304

EDIT: Sorry to be like the third dude to blast you with the same thing... I guess I'm just a slow moe
It's fine, no worries.

Anyway, I do concede that Directs are a good way to ensure people see the video. But it's not like when the next update after the video comes around, the video becomes inaccessible. It's still there on the newcomer's page for all to see.

And do you not check the website every day to see what's going on in the new game?

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
I love Pac-man as a smash character Yall, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if we only get him. Namco has such a great lineup of games, including fighters, that it would be a shame to ignore them.

Namco:
PacMan
Dig Dug (he could be so awesome)
Tekken Characters
Soul Caliber Characters

Bandai Namco:
Naruto
Digimon

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Naruto is in Smash 4. >:)

Morbi

Scavenger
I love Pac-man as a smash character Yall, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't be disappointed if we only get him. Namco has such a great lineup of games, including fighters, that it would be a shame to ignore them.

Namco:
PacMan
Tekken Characters
Soul Caliber Characters

Bandai Namco:
Naruto
Digimon

Naruto won't get in Smash before Goku though. Who gets requested more? HMMMM?!

In all seriousness, Sakurai wants the characters to originate from a game (just in case you didn't know).

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm 90% sure that every international direct from now til the release will showcase a newcomer
Wow thats pretty confident. Here let me fix that for you. Simply put there wont be that many new comers. We already have 4 I can see there being up to 7-8 more. Most of them will be secret characters. Idk newcomers are a pretty special case. I'd rather be surprised when it happens then expect it every time. So monthly newcomers? a long with all the characters everyones predicting... even without though... I'm sure he doesn't want to spoil the character surprises. 90% huh? wow I'm pleasantly surprised. I really wasn't expecting a newcomer until e3 2014.

TheUltraDeino

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheUltraDeino
3DS FC
3866-8826-1729

Namco:
PacMan
Tekken Characters
Soul Caliber Characters

Bandai Namco:
Naruto
Digimon

...I'm pretty sure Sakurai said he wouldn't go overzealous on 3rd party characters. Namco doesn't need any special treatment just because they're helping out on Nintendo Crossover Fighting Game

Wow thats pretty confident. Here let me fix that for you. Simply put there wont be that many new comers. We already have 4 I can see there being up to 7-8 more. Most of them will be secret characters. Idk newcomers are a pretty special case. I'd rather be surprised when it happens then expect it every time. So monthly newcomers? a long with all the characters everyones predicting... even without though... I'm sure he doesn't want to spoil the character surprises. 90% huh? wow I'm pleasantly surprised. I really wasn't expecting a newcomer until e3 2014.
I'm pretty sure there's an international direct every couple months. Having a newcomer every month is crazy

Aren't international Directs every two months? If the game has a late fall release that's only 5 characters. If they don't reveal any characters at E3 (focusing on a demo instead) that's not unreasonable.

9 newcomers as the starting roster. That's one less then Brawl had.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I still say some newcomers will be revealed with no Direct. I mean, think about it. First, a newcomer is revealed on the Direct, and then right after, plastered on the website. Why not cut out the middle man and put them directly on the website? News about the newcomer would get out just as fast, if not slightly quicker.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
It's fine, no worries.

Anyway, I do concede that Directs are a good way to ensure people see the video. But it's not like when the next update after the video comes around, the video becomes inaccessible. It's still there on the newcomer's page for all to see.

And do you not check the website every day to see what's going on in the new game?
Well yea I do but thats besides the point because most people don't. I'm just an idiot that wastes his time (not that anyone else here is). The Wii U is not doing as well as nintendo hoped so they need to broaden the audience a bit with Directs and creating excitement with their games. I mean yea sure there are many ways to reveal a character but a Direct is probably the best way (next to e3)

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I'm pretty sure there's an international direct every couple months. Having a newcomer every month is crazy
Aren't international Directs every two months? If the game has a late fall release that's only 5 characters. If they don't reveal any characters at E3 (focusing on a demo instead) that's not unreasonable.

9 newcomers as the starting roster. That's one less then Brawl had.
Oh I was unaware of international directs I just thought they had one every month for everyone. hmmm well thats a bit more reasonable but I still think that theres an unspoken rule about character reveals per month. Whenever we get something good like Rosalina its hard to think that we will have Zelda revealed the next week.

Idk I just feel like theres a limit to reveals. (wow this is getting off topic)

But with characters like Diddy, Yoshi, and Palutena(ironically a new character) rumored to be revealed soon (brought it back yea!) I still think that every other month is still kind of a lot. Maybe like 1 new character between now and e3. Even that seems risky to say to me.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
That arrogant bloke just spewed out more garbage and started falling apart under questioning.
Its kinda lame to be a hard head when new info is given to you. I'm open to new ideas? So what? lol not trying to be arrogant... I also shouldn't feed the troll.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest

If I had to make a "prediction" about the roster, it would be this. You might want to check my "predictions" on January 30.

Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Kirby
Pit
Pikachu
Marth
Little Mac
Sonic
Luigi
Diddy & Dixie
Princess Zelda/Sheik
Ridley
Meta Knight
Palutena
Pokemon Master
Chrom
R.O.B.
Mega Man
Princess Peach
Yoshi
Toon Link
Fox
King Dedede
Hades
Pokemon Trainer
Ness
Mr. Game & Watch
Pac Man
Rosalina & Luma
Wario
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Wolf
Villager
Takamaru
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Wii Fit Trainer
Bowser
Waluigi
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Olimar & Pikmin
Mewtwo
Shulk
Mii

I "predict" a total of 18 newcomers.

Again, this is only a bold "prediction" and I'm not "claiming" to have any inside information. But once again, you might want to check this roster again on January 30. If you guys have any questions about any other information I "predict" about the game, I'll be happy to answer.

I "predict" that Zero Suit Samus has been cut, and that Ike and Lucario's movesets have been incorporated into other characters. I "predict" that Snake never had a chance of being in the game. and i "predict" that Diddy and Dixie are independent, and one stays in the background while the other fights

I would "predict" that Shulk will debut in January 30. I also "predict" that there's a very good reason for his reveal.

I "predict" that there will be a Xenoblade Chronicles stage called Raguel Bridge. I'm sorry but I don't have any "predictions" about the game's soundtrack, but you can bet that if the song is popular and from a Nintendo game you'll hear it.

I agree that Snake should stay, I loved playing as him. I "predict" that any cuts are not a result of trimming down the roster but are due to time constraints. The game has a very short dev period.

I "predict" that while Pokemon Trainer uses Greninja, Quilladin, and Fennekin, the Pokemon Master uses Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

I "predict" that there is going to be customization on a mechanical level, but not the details. In the 3DS version, characters like Pokemon Trainer and Villager can have their appearances customized. Not all characters have this, but every character has alt. costumes.

I would "predict" that the Wii U version will use special NFC trading cards featuring fighters, locales, and assist trophies for fun mini-games.

I would also "predict" that the Wii U version has some GamePad mini-games, while the 3DS version has some AR functionality using the same cards.

Anybody got any new rumours or is Palutena still going strong?
We got this thing that seems to be a result of boredom. Speculate away

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

If I had to make a "prediction" about the roster, it would be this. You might want to check my "predictions" on January 30.

Mario
Donkey Kong
Link
Samus
Kirby
Pit
Pikachu
Marth
Little Mac
Sonic
Luigi
Diddy & Dixie
Princess Zelda/Sheik
Ridley
Meta Knight
Palutena
Pokemon Master
Chrom
R.O.B.
Mega Man
Princess Peach
Yoshi
Toon Link
Fox
King Dedede
Hades
Pokemon Trainer
Ness
Mr. Game & Watch
Pac Man
Rosalina & Luma
Wario
Toon Zelda/Tetra
Wolf
Villager
Takamaru
Jigglypuff
Lucas
Wii Fit Trainer
Bowser
Waluigi
Ganondorf
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Olimar & Pikmin
Mewtwo
Shulk
Mii

I "predict" a total of 18 newcomers.

Again, this is only a bold "prediction" and I'm not "claiming" to have any inside information. But once again, you might want to check this roster again on January 30. If you guys have any questions about any other information I "predict" about the game, I'll be happy to answer.

I "predict" that Zero Suit Samus has been cut, and that Ike and Lucario's movesets have been incorporated into other characters. I "predict" that Snake never had a chance of being in the game. and i "predict" that Diddy and Dixie are independent, and one stays in the background while the other fights

I would "predict" that Shulk will debut in January 30. I also "predict" that there's a very good reason for his reveal.

I "predict" that there will be a Xenoblade Chronicles stage called Raguel Bridge. I'm sorry but I don't have any "predictions" about the game's soundtrack, but you can bet that if the song is popular and from a Nintendo game you'll hear it.

I agree that Snake should stay, I loved playing as him. I "predict" that any cuts are not a result of trimming down the roster but are due to time constraints. The game has a very short dev period.

I "predict" that while Pokemon Trainer uses Greninja, Quilladin, and Fennekin, the Pokemon Master uses Charizard, Ivysaur, and Squirtle.

I "predict" that there is going to be customization on a mechanical level, but not the details. In the 3DS version, characters like Pokemon Trainer and Villager can have their appearances customized. Not all characters have this, but every character has alt. costumes.

I would "predict" that the Wii U version will use special NFC trading cards featuring fighters, locales, and assist trophies for fun mini-games.

I would also "predict" that the Wii U version has some GamePad mini-games, while the 3DS version has some AR functionality using the same cards.

We got this thing that seems to be a result of boredom. Speculate away
This is boring

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
The question then becomes: How many characters should we really expect in SSB4? Some of these "leaked'' rosters appear to have an extensive amount of characters, so I was sorta curious on what you guys thought. How many new character slots (on CSS) should we expect to have? I was thinking adding a whole extra row on to the SSBB CSS.

Last edited:

Miles Pierre

Smash Journeyman
...I'm pretty sure Sakurai said he wouldn't go overzealous on 3rd party characters. Namco doesn't need any special treatment just because they're helping out on Nintendo Crossover Fighting Game

Sakurai doesn't know his butt from his elbows. I'll never listen to the guy when he said an AC rep wouldn't work. He's crazy.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
The question then becomes: How many characters should we really expect in SSB4. Some of these "leaked'' rosters appear to have an extensive amount of characters, so I was sorta curious on what you guys thought. How many new character slots (on CSS) should we expect to have? I was thinking adding a whole extra row on to the SSBB CSS.
Personally I'm expecting a 42 or 43 character roster, not counting transformations.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Sakurai doesn't know his butt from his elbows. I'll never listen to the guy when he said an AC rep wouldn't work. He's crazy.
But he isn't crazy enough to have more than one third party rep in a game. I don't even think Namco will even get one, since Pacman can't even really do much. Just look at the Tekken X SF game.

And if you think he's just so darn crazy, why do you bother in playing his games?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
The question then becomes: How many characters should we really expect in SSB4. Some of these "leaked'' rosters appear to have an extensive amount of characters, so I was sorta curious on what you guys thought. How many new character slots (on CSS) should we expect to have? I was thinking adding a whole extra row on to the SSBB CSS.
Im thinking like 10 or so if they cut Ike, Snake, Pkm Trainer, Lucario, Lucas, Wolf, and Rob. I know not all of them would be cut but for the sake of discussion lets say 4 from this list get cut. Obviously people are leaking a lot of new comers so that doesnt give much room for veterans. Yea probably a row is good.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Well gee, I was out all day, good to see BKupa on his regular leak hunt

That leak screams fan made. It tries to be different but making it "seem" like they "aren't" leaking "anything". Seriously, reminds me of -

Well good thing is we'll know by the end of this week. Hopefully we get a direct too, so theres more to speculate over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom