• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
People are never happy with the end result.
Mostly because a lot of people want really obscure characters in the game whose franchises have never been represented in smash, but that's mostly because their franchises are very obscure :I
I was actually very happy with the melee (mostly because I was a child) roster and I was very happy with the brawl roster, all the characters that really needed to be added were put in (Wario, diddy, other Kirby reps). Maybe I'm just not that picky, but I'm also really liking this roster as well.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
That's a pretty unfair thing to say. Yeah it's true you can't please everyone, but in general people are looking like they'll be good with whatever ends up happening. That's all he was trying to say.
I'm just talking off of the disappointment I've seen from other XD
I'm happy with what we're getting so far, and I'm sure the community will just deal with their favorite character not getting in since we all have different opinions, but from what I've seen there has been quite a bit of disappointment, hell the last time I was on this thread it turned into a "We hate sakurai because of this roster" thread

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
Ridley's likely hood is an odd topic. Many believe he is practically deconfirmed with all the hints about him being a stage hazard Sakurai has given us. While other believe these hints are just him trolling and that it makes Ridley's likely hood even greater
Mewtwo is a gray area, there is nothing really working against him other than there are already quite a few pokemon.
I really don't get why so many people doubt K Rool, the kremlings are enemies in the new Run mode so I think that makes his chances a tad bit better, but theres nothing making them any worse IMO
Reworked Ganon I just sorta doubt
I think with all the veteran updates were seeing, especially from Bowser, Ganondorf has a very good chance of being reworked.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I think with all the veteran updates were seeing, especially from Bowser, Ganondorf has a very good chance of being reworked.
Yeah actually, they have been making quite a few changes to the veterans haven't they? I sure hope they lessen the number of clones by changing up Ganon.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
If anyone thinks the original 12 aren't making it, just log out this site or give someone else your password so they can change it preventing you from posting such ludicrousness.
I'd easily extend that to Melee newcomers that returned in Brawl too.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
So I think the "48 characters, 4 cuts" thing is pretty much de-confirmed now. All of the veterans look to be coming back, besides Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Ness hasn't been renewed either, but wasn't he on the whiteboard? And he's one of the Original Twelve, so. That's only three cuts.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
I think Lucas will be cut. Wolf or Falco too. MK staying better mean vast changes though. If Ganon is reworked then it might as well be Demise at that point.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
So I think the "48 characters, 4 cuts" thing is pretty much de-confirmed now. All of the veterans look to be coming back, besides Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur. Ness hasn't been renewed either, but wasn't he on the whiteboard? And he's one of the Original Twelve, so. That's only three cuts.
I know people suddenly have a stick up their ass over Squirtle and Ivysaur for some unknown reason but how is Wolf suddenly a sure cut?

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I think Lucas will be cut. Wolf or Falco too. MK staying better mean vast changes though. If Ganon is reworked then it might as well be Demise at that point.
You mean a reworked Ganondorf may just as well be Demise? :/ That doesn't make much sense.

I expect Ganondorf to finally be Ganondorfy, so I can't wait to see him. But anyways, rumors.

Did any rumor ever mention Greninja by himself?

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
If anyone thinks the original 12 aren't making it, just log out this site or give someone else your password so they can change it preventing you from posting such ludicrousness.
I know people suddenly have a stick up their *** over Squirtle and Ivysaur for some unknown reason but how is Wolf suddenly a sure cut?
there was this thing where people were looking at data using something called the "way back machine" which showed that characters from the old site had been updated for the new site? or something like that it was a little confusing but it IMPLIED that Ness and Wolf were the only two whos pages weren't updated

so no i dont think cutting one of the original 12 is LIKELY i just was using that information to make what the roster would look like if this Wolf/Ness cut was true...but the whole theory is grasping at straws really its not very legitimate imo.

but just saying THATS why ness/wolf have been thrown around as "cuts" the last few pages

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
there was this thing where people were looking at data using something called the "way back machine" which showed that characters from the old site had been updated for the new site? or something like that it was a little confusing but it IMPLIED that Ness and Wolf were the only two whos pages weren't updated

so no i dont think cutting one of the original 12 is LIKELY i just was using that information to make what the roster would look like if this Wolf/Ness cut was true...but the whole theory is grasping at straws really its not very legitimate imo.

but just saying THATS why ness/wolf have been thrown around as "cuts" the last few pages
Ah I see. I don't really see how that's a legitimate reason to think someone would be cut but whatevs.

Wolf is a Sakurai fav that was nearly on Melee, I'd be super shocked if he was cut. Especially as he's a highly unique character and one of the few villains in the game. And with Ness being in the original 12, he's about as safe as they come.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
I thought it was already universally assumed that those links found really don't mean anything?
they probably dont i was just playing around with it a few pages back to see what came of that possibility and people took it as more than just testing the waters

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
I'm sure running the thread is a big responsibility, but I wish the OP would update the first post with a "check in" or something so we know if it is even being worked on. It's been two weeks since the thread was updated. I know life can really get in the way and stuff, but I'm sure if they just lost interest someone out there with both the time and passion would be willing to take over.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's so funny... before the Smash Direct, people were so sure of the "Brawl Pokemon + Mewtwo" roster and that there would be only five slots for Pokemon characters.... but after Greninja showed up and messed up everything and Charizard became a standalone character, now people are desperately hoping for 6-8 slots for individual Pokemon... keeping Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, maybe Squirtle and Ivysaur...
What's even more hilarious is that people are arguing that that wasn't the case. People are questioning the Sal leak because "Pokemon from X & Y" is an easy guess, when I don't think a single active predirect leak had any 'new' Pokemon besides Mewtwo. On top of that, almost all fan rosters on this site had Mewtwo and the Brawl Pokemon, with no X & Y newcomer in sight despite it being such an easy guess.

Off topic but related - I don't think Greninja in anyway effects Mewtwo's chances. Mewtwo is a veteran, not a new comer, and a hidden one at that. It would make all the sense in the world to keep him unlockable and his inclusion makes sense because he is one of the few characters heavily requested in both the East and West. On the topic of "Pokemon slots," there is and never was a rule about Pokemon or any other series having more slots then Mario or a fixed number of slots in general. It's all a bunch of fan ****; Sakurai does what ever he wants. Eh, I'm not a Pokemon fan in any case so I don't really care.

Last edited:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What's even more hilarious is that people are arguing that that wasn't the case. People are questioning the Sal leak because "Pokemon from X & Y" is an easy guess, when I don't think a single active predirect leak had any new Pokemon besides Mewtwo. On top of that, almost all fan rosters on this site had Mewtwo and the Brawl Pokemon, with no X & Y newcomer in sight despite it being such an easy guess.
Several people on the Smashbros subreddit predicted a new Pokemon reveal in the Direct speculation thread, with one naming Greninja specifically.

Being so deep inside the Smash hivemind as we are, we need to be mindful of perspective. To somebody not involving themselves regularly in roster speculation, a Pokemon X&Y newcomer likely would seem obvious due to Melee and Brawl both including recent Pokemon.

It's very easy for this community to seize on a character as somehow guaranteed or likely inclusion (see: Takamaru) and have that color most rosters created. Post a roster without K. Rool, Ridley, or Takamaru and you would likely have been told to change it.

Last edited:

Dairz

Smash Ace
What's even more hilarious is that people are arguing that that wasn't the case. People are questioning the Sal leak because "Pokemon from X & Y" is an easy guess, when I don't think a single active predirect leak had any 'new' Pokemon besides Mewtwo. On top of that, almost all fan rosters on this site had Mewtwo and the Brawl Pokemon, with no X & Y newcomer in sight despite it being such an easy guess.
Melee came out exactly 2 years after Gold/Silver, and had a rep from it. Brawl came out almost 2 years after Diamond/Pearl, and had a rep from it. Smash 4 will come out almost a year after X/Y, and surprise, a rep from it. A Gen 6 rep was much more likely than you're making it out to be. Also, I assume the Sal leak is real, just questioning your logic.

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Guys? I think we can tell from Pit and Charizard that gliding is out as well. THat explains Metaknight's continued absence at least as he's being reworked likely.

MunchyMunch

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MushroomMuncher
Speaking of clones, why didn't they talk about Toon Link in the direct at all? I don't even remember seeing him there.

Last edited:

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Guys? I think we can tell from Pit and Charizard that gliding is out as well. THat explains Metaknight's continued absence at least as he's being reworked likely.
Reworked as in nerfed we can only hope. I bet it's even worse than what they did to Olimar.

Flarame

Smash Cadet
NNID
Flarame
Hahaha. You wish.

We aren't getting SSB6 in 2015... we are likely getting SSB6 on Nintendo's next home console after Wii U.
You misunderstood my statement about Smash in 2015/2016, after Melee at Evo , I was hoping Nintendo or Bandai Namco would continue to support the game even after the release of the game like minor balancing/bug fixes. Nintendo clearly have learn their lesson about online, patch and DLC, let's just hope they learn enough to smell all this money we could throw if this sh*t was real.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Several people on the Smashbros subreddit predicted a new Pokemon reveal in the Direct speculation thread, with one naming Greninja specifically.

Being so deep inside the Smash hivemind as we are, we need to be mindful of perspective. To somebody not involving themselves regularly in roster speculation, a Pokemon X&Y newcomer likely would seem obvious due to Melee and Brawl both including recent Pokemon.

It's very easy for this community to seize on a character as somehow guaranteed or likely inclusion (see: Takamaru) and have that color most rosters created. Post a roster without K. Rool, Ridley, or Takamaru and you would likely have been told to change it.
If this is what you're talking about:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/22jci2/rsmashbros_nintendo_direct_prediction_contest/

I see one person that guessed an X/Y Pokemon, but he did guess Greninja AND Charizard, so awesome guess.

@ Dairz Dairz and everyone else.... I'm not saying it was an impossible guess, just that it wasn't the popular guess and it really wasn't. The majority of leaks and predictions had Mewtwo + Brawl Pokemon. If Sal wanted to be safe that's what he would have done.

Edit: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't care at all about Pokemon, but aren't Zoark and Genesect NOT from X/Y?

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
I'd easily extend that to Melee newcomers that returned in Brawl too.
Exactly. But i go with the original 12 since its even more obvious.

he needs to depower meta knight a lot and i mean a lot. His gliding will be gone which is one of his many kill moves in brawl.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Exactly. But i go with the original 12 since its even more obvious.

he needs to depower meta knight a lot and i mean a lot. His gliding will be gone which is one of his many kill moves in brawl.
I wouldn't necessarily count on his gliding being removed just because Pit's was.

jweb22

Smash Apprentice

Off topic but related - I don't think Greninja in anyway effects Mewtwo's chances. Mewtwo is a veteran, not a new comer, and a hidden one at that. It would make all the sense in the world to keep him unlockable and his inclusion makes sense because he is one of the few characters heavily requested in both the East and West. On the topic of "Pokemon slots," there is and never was a rule about Pokemon or any other series having more slots then Mario or a fixed number of slots in general. It's all a bunch of fan ****; Sakurai does what ever he wants. Eh, I'm not a Pokemon fan in any case so I don't really care.
Greninja actually effects Mewtwo's chance greatly! I've seen a LOT of people trying to rationalize the thought of 6-8 individual Pokemon characters being playable and as a hardcore Pokemon fan myself...I would love that however it WON'T happen.

Mario's franchise has always been the bench mark for the limit of how many character slots a franchise can get and with no more fusing of multiple characters into one slot like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl that means that unless Mario has a hidden character in the game to give his franchise 6 slots then no other franchise will have 6 slots. So right now (for all we know) there's a serious battle between Jigglypuff and Mewtwo for the fianl Pokemon Slot and with Charizard and Lucario showing of Mega Evolutions I have to believe Jigglypuff gets the nod to return to show off the new Fairy typing for Pokemon.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
If this is what you're talking about:

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/22jci2/rsmashbros_nintendo_direct_prediction_contest/

I see one person that guessed an X/Y Pokemon, but he did guess Greninja AND Charizard, so awesome guess.

@ Dairz Dairz and everyone else.... I'm not saying it was an impossible guess, just that it wasn't the popular guess and it really wasn't. The majority of leaks and predictions had Mewtwo + Brawl Pokemon. If Sal wanted to be safe that's what he would have done.

Edit: Also, correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't care at all about Pokemon, but aren't Zoark and Genesect NOT from X/Y?
nice. though I I did think something like charizard alone may happen so that part isn't hard/

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Greninja actually effects Mewtwo's chance greatly! I've seen a LOT of people trying to rationalize the thought of 6-8 individual Pokemon characters being playable and as a hardcore Pokemon fan myself...I would love that however it WON'T happen.

Mario's franchise has always been the bench mark for the limit of how many character slots a franchise can get and with no more fusing of multiple characters into one slot like Pokemon Trainer in Brawl that means that unless Mario has a hidden character in the game to give his franchise 6 slots then no other franchise will have 6 slots. So right now (for all we know) there's a serious battle between Jigglypuff and Mewtwo for the fianl Pokemon Slot and with Charizard and Lucario showing of Mega Evolutions I have to believe Jigglypuff gets the nod to return to show off the new Fairy typing for Pokemon.

That Mario theory is just that, a theory. Sakurai considered Brawl having 6 pokemon representatives, not 4. He said so in an interview where he clearly stated there were 39 characters in Brawl, which means he considers each pokemon separate. Plus Mewtwo was already being developed so that would have made 7. While I doubt we might get 8 pokemon slots, 6 is something I expect to have. I am just afraid the 6th might not be Mewtwo. (since 5th is obviously Jiggz.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Someone PLEASE link me to any source that would even hint at Mario having to have the most amount of characters in Smash.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

You are completely wrong.

Brawl had 6 pokemon reps, and had 2 more planned. So out of the 46 character roster that was planned for Brawl, 8 of them were to be pokemon reps. We're probably getting around 50 this time, and the 6 Brawl reps + Greninja and Mewtwo is pretty much the perfect pokemon representation right now. The fact that Greninja plays nothing like Squirtle and that they weren't shown as pokeballs indicates more strongly that they're returning. And the fact that Charizard was revealed first doesn't mean anything really, Zelda and Samus were revealed months and months before Sheik and ZSS. And with 4 starting pokemon already, I'm pretty sure that Jigglypuff and the rest would all be unlockables -- Therefore not announced until after release.

Mario had 4 reps on Brawl (in Sakurai's scale of representation at least), and 5 planned. So the original plan was for Pokemon to have 3 more playable characters than Mario.

People need to accept that Pokemon has a huge cast of extremely versitile and unique characters, add that to the fact they're one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises and it's clear to see exactly why Pokemon gets the most amount of playable representation.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Considering how Brawl had 7 Pokemon characters that needed to be programmed compared to Mario's 4, I don't think the number of slots really matters that much. There's already four Pokemon which is already three less characters to program from Brawl so I could easily see Jigglypuff and Mewtwo getting in. Also, there's no written rule that a franchise can't have more slots than Mario and, either way, I don't think the fans would care all that much if it happened.

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You are completely wrong.

Brawl had 6 pokemon reps, and had 2 more planned. So out of the 46 character roster that was planned for Brawl, 8 of them were to be pokemon reps. We're probably getting around 50 this time, and the 6 Brawl reps + Greninja and Mewtwo is pretty much the perfect pokemon representation right now. The fact that Greninja plays nothing like Squirtle and that they weren't shown as pokeballs indicates more strongly that they're returning. And the fact that Charizard was revealed first doesn't mean anything really, Zelda and Samus were revealed months and months before Sheik and ZSS. And with 4 starting pokemon already, I'm pretty sure that Jigglypuff and the rest would all be unlockables -- Therefore not announced until after release.

Mario had 4 reps on Brawl (in Sakurai's scale of representation at least), and 5 planned. So the original plan was for Pokemon to have 3 more playable characters than Mario.

People need to accept that Pokemon has a huge cast of extremely versitile and unique characters, add that to the fact they're one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises and it's clear to see exactly why Pokemon gets the most amount of playable representation.
those forbidden seven.......some like Dixie could have been added while others like pluse and minun could have been a idea first that was started but then sakurai could decided to have poke trainer instead .....

we will not know for a long time exactly how these were planned.........but to think it would have been brawl plus the extra 7 is naïve.

ediyt:
Considering how Brawl had 7 Pokemon characters that needed to be programmed compared to Mario's 4, I don't think the number of slots really matters that much. There's already four Pokemon which is already three less characters to program from Brawl so I could easily see Jigglypuff and Mewtwo getting in. Also, there's no written rule that a franchise can't have more slots than Mario and, either way, I don't think the fans would care all that much if it happened.
you will see......no way will there be more slots. lol what if mewtwo was planned but didn't end up in the game again........personally I think that's what happened as greninja or something something something happened.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

posted in the character discussion thread

someone needs to explain me how in the world last Tuesday direct decreased in any form mewtwo's chance. Because like no matter how you consider transformation, these were the pokemon character in brawl:

pikachu
jigglypuff
lucario
squirtle
ivysaur
charizard

if you count, it means that they were 6 character made from the pokemon serie. The pokemon trainer is just a mechanic that allow you to switch between 3 of them in battle but seriously can you agree that Sakurai and his team worked on 3 different moveset for him? yes you are playing as only one slot but this same slot is a three in one which is actually the same as three different because they would require the same amount of work which is the work of 3 characters.

As of now, these are the pokemon character confimed for ssb4:

pikachu
lucario
charizard
greninja

That's 4 since jigglypuff is a given, that's 5 pokemon character. so, the only way that mewtwo would have his chance decreased is if that somehow, either squirtle or ivysauf is confirmed but let's be honest here no transformation for EVERY character means that the trainer mechanic is most likely gone which would mean that the only way to get those 2 characters would be individual and that's the problem remember how charizard was a really requested character? we got squirtle and ivysauf as a bonus for an unique mechanic but because now this mechanic is most likely gone, these characters's chance has decreased by a lot (not saying they are deconfirmed but it would be surprising for me to see them)

The only one not affected by this is mewtwo and also can we agree that he's one of the most (or the most) requested character here? even enough so that Sakurai even acknowledged it. So, of all the 4 pokemon veteran (this includes mewtwo), mewtwo is the only one that his chance did not decreased and adding him will make 6 pokemon reps which is like brawl. So, I'm asking my question again how in any way mewtwo's chance decreased?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom