• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB4 Rumours and Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Here's the thing about the Dojo updates disproving leaks; couldn't Sakurai just post any update, at any time. I mean, they aren't hard to make, and he probably has them already prepared. Like he could've just thrown out Lucario, unscheduled, to disprove the Translator leak.
While it's possible some of the more mundane unimportant pics are the result of little planning , it's highly likely Sakurai has the character reveals planned at least a good while in advance.

It's also pretty unlikely Sakurai bothers himself with leaks of the Translator caliber, and is even less bothered with trying to disprove them. I mean, he did nothing pre-Brawl when we actually did get legitimate leaks.

I know it's not very professional, but I would rather see/discuss some bad leaks than have a postless thread. I do understand no more silly leaks though.
I would rather have a thread which has some measure of quality even if that means less posts. "Bad" leaks are one thing, some of the leaks in the OP are pretty bad, but purposely fake, user-created ones are another.

And please try to refrain from double-posting.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
...Unless you're on Gamefaqs. They love that argument.

But they're idiots over on GameFAQs. :p Sakurai clearly doesn't care about relevance! If he did he'd be using different designs for a lot of characters, Olimar would've been replaced, and Jigglypuff wouldn't still be in the game.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
But they're idiots over on GameFAQs. :p Sakurai clearly doesn't care about relevance! If he did he'd be using different designs for a lot of characters, Olimar would've been replaced, and Jigglypuff wouldn't still be in the game.
Actually, I come from Gamefaqs (well, more like lurked there), and the general opinion was Olimar gonna be replaced. Granted I thought it was a stupid idea but hey, opinions. Everyone has them.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Relevance is in itself a misnomer. People are confusing it for recency.

Olimar is very relevant to Pikmin. Marth is very relevant to FE. PKMN Trainer is very relevant to Pokemon. That doesn't necessarily mean they are recent though.

Sakurai does base most inclusions on relevance (though exceptions obviously exist), but relevance to the actual series, or relevance to Nintendo. Not this corrupted view of "relevance" which actually means recency. That factor is a whole lot less crucial and a whole lot more up in the air.

RODO

Smash Ace

Olimar is very relevant to Pikmin. Marth is very relevant to FE. PKMN Trainer is very relevant to Pokemon. That doesn't necessarily mean they are recent though.

Sakurai does base most inclusions on relevance (though exceptions obviously exist), but relevance to the actual series, or relevance to Nintendo. Not this corrupted view of "relevance" which actually means recency. That factor is a whole lot less crucial and a whole lot more up in the air.
This has nothing to do with that but how do you do a spoiler box?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Relevance is never an actual argument. Period.
Yes it is. Thats why we don't have characters like Goku and Sailor moon in the game. They aren't relevant. Also Characters like Birdo aren't playable because its not a relevant character. I could list the hundreds of Nintendo characters that aren't in Smash because they aren't relevant. Mike Jones from Star tropics is one. Also Lanky Kong, Tiny, TipTup, Bumper, Raj, King Boo, E.Gadd, Yuga, Ness' Mom, Girahim, Demise, Linebeck, Daisy, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Rapheal the Raven. If we saw any of these characters in a leak then we would say its fake. Why? because they are secondary characters. They are all irrelevant. So relevance is important in almost all cases. Characters like ROB and Ice Climbers slip through the cracks but other than that relevance is very imporant. You could give all of these characters unique movesets and they would be cool. But what makes them playable and not trophies is their relevance.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This has nothing to do with that but how do you do a spoiler box?
Put the content you wish to have spoilered between [ collapse] and [ /collapse], except without the spaces after the first bracket.

If you want the spoiler box to have a title add =title here after the first collapse, before the bracket. Hope that helps. ;)

RODO

Smash Ace
[collapse=smashboards leak]

Hello all,

Just as the title states I have some information to bring to you guys. My friend visits this site and after I told him what I found out about the game he said I should post this information on smashboards. I have this guy that I talk to occasionally who is an industry insider and surprisingly one of the games he recently dug some info up on is smash bros for the wii u. Here is what he has found out:

A few unrevealed characters: Ridley, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Palutena, Mewtwo, Lucas.

He said it's odd that there was almost nothing he could find out about some of the veterans, (especially Ness considering Lucas is known now) before some of these characters. He said he doesn't know the entire roster yet, so it's uncertain who is cut if anyone. Regarding these character's move sets, nothing is really known, but apparently Ridley is still the only character who doesn't have a large portion of his moves locked in just yet due to proportions and hit box balances.

Aside from characters the only other thing he had for me was that the Wonderful 101 are going to be an assist trophy. I was hoping we'd get some characters from that game but at least they are being represented in some way.

That's all I have for now guys. I can try to get my friend to post from this account since I never come here and he doesn't actually have one, and if I hear anything else I can get him to post it for you guys.[/collapse]

Ok so I guess I'll be the first to comment on this (even though I usually only come here to watch you guys tear up stuff lol).

First off, at least it isn't an obvious troll attempt so I think it's a least worth mentioning. The odd thing about it though is the randomness of the characters that were "leaked." Not even diddy is there, who seems like he would be an obvious choice or would be the easiest to find out about (unless Sakurai pulls an X and Y on us again).

Even though the vagueness takes away from the validity of this, it also sort of credits it slightly for me. It seems unlikely that someone could find out about the entire roster of characters, so I usually side more towards the leaks that don't reveal absolutely everything. And he did give us an item as well, which does give us something to either confirm or debunk this with.

Of course, this is just another leak on top of the millions we already have, but it's worth watching out for incase we do end up getting a W101 assist trophy.

Edit: I guess I'm still doing the whole spoiler title thing wrong :( not sure how to fix it

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
RODO, you might want to change the first collapse to [ collapse=Smashboards Leak] (minus the space), that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. Embarrass

Second, what is the source of that leak?

RODO

Smash Ace
RODO, you might want to change the first collapse to [ collapse=Smashboards Leak] (minus the space), that's what I meant. Sorry if I wasn't clearer. Embarrass

Second, what is the source of that leak?
Idk, it was posted here last night just on the general section of the smash 4 forums but was locked due to not being in the leaks thread. Let me go find it.

Edit: ninja'd by the man

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Actually, I come from Gamefaqs (well, more like lurked there), and the general opinion was Olimar gonna be replaced. Granted I thought it was a stupid idea but hey, opinions. Everyone has them.

Of course, there are still people to this day who believe Lucario replaced Mewtwo, and Ike replaced Roy.

You are completely correct. And by that logic, King K. Rool is still very relevant to DK.

Yes it is. Thats why we don't have characters like Goku and Sailor moon in the game. They aren't relevant. Also Characters like Birdo aren't playable because its not a relevant character. I could list the hundreds of Nintendo characters that aren't in Smash because they aren't relevant. Mike Jones from Star tropics is one. Also Lanky Kong, Tiny, TipTup, Bumper, Raj, King Boo, E.Gadd, Yuga, Ness' Mom, Girahim, Demise, Linebeck, Daisy, Goomba, Koopa Troopa, Rapheal the Raven. If we saw any of these characters in a leak then we would say its fake. Why? because they are secondary characters. They are all irrelevant. So relevance is important in almost all cases. Characters like ROB and Ice Climbers slip through the cracks but other than that relevance is very imporant. You could give all of these characters unique movesets and they would be cool. But what makes them playable and not trophies is their relevance.
So you're gonna use the real definition of relevant for this argument, but not your other one. K. Rool was the villain of the DK franchise for the whole DKC series, DK64, Donkey Kong Land, as well as DK King of Swing and Jungle Climber. So now because he's missed one or two games, he no longer matters at all? I suppose Lucas and Ness don't matter either. Sheik? Who's that? Why is Jigglypuff still here? R.O.B. and Ice Climbers (and Pit and Game and Watch, for that matter) "slipped through the cracks," as you put it, but King K. Rool is waaay more important than any of them, and comparing him to any of the other characters you mentioned is foolish.

P.S. Goku and Sailor Moon aren't in the game because they're not Nintendo characters, or even video game characters. But nice try.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
The only two criteria that I've seen Sakurai stick to for each game are:

1 (and most important). Would the character have a unique and fun moveset?

2. What other games and series can be represented?

I'm convinced that point #1 is the entire reason for WFT's inclusion, among a few other characters.. Somebody thought up using workout movements as attacks and the team liked it. This is also the only excuse I can think of for including Wolf, who wasn't particularly relevant at the time for Brawl, so I imagine Sakurai wanted kind of a new take on the Fox mold.

Point #2, mixed with #1, is why we have the wtf characters like IC's and G&W. Bring a bit more history to the games. Nintendo realizes after Marths reveal in Melee that Smash is a huge marketing tool, so I imagine they push for every important char to be included, and Sakurai has to be sure they fit point #1. Based on this, though, I still can't believe Isaac wasn't in Brawl.

The only real exceptions to this are the Melee clones, who I think were added quickly to fill out the roster.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
So you're gonna use the real definition of relevant for this argument, but not your other one. K. Rool was the villain of the DK franchise for the whole DKC series, DK64, Donkey Kong Land, as well as DK King of Swing and Jungle Climber. So now because he's missed one or two games, he no longer matters at all? I suppose Lucas and Ness don't matter either. Sheik? Who's that? Why is Jigglypuff still here? R.O.B. and Ice Climbers (and Pit and Game and Watch, for that matter) "slipped through the cracks," as you put it, but King K. Rool is waaay more important than any of them, and comparing him to any of the other characters you mentioned is foolish.

P.S. Goku and Sailor Moon aren't in the game because they're not Nintendo characters, or even video game characters. But nice try.
That era when K.Rool was in many games was probably the best time to put him as a playable character in smash. But they didn't. Instead characters like Plusle and Minun, Toon Zelda, and Dixie had better chances. Now that there has been a while since he has been relevant in the series I just think that he's unlikely. The DK series seems to be moving on without K.Rool. So I think that since the series has moved on then his time for smash has passed too. Jiggs was relevant during the very first smash so of course she would stay in all of them. All of the original 12 have been in every game so thats the most likely reason Jiggs has been in since then. Yea sure there are exceptions like Rob and Icees but retros are normally single character franchises. Ness was relevant when the first smash was out and he's been in ever since. They were in the process of earthbound 64 at the time. Lucas was relevant as well because of Mother 3. Shiek is still relevant because of Ocarina of time 3d and Sheik was in a previous Smash game. I'm not saying K.Rool doesn't matter at all but the more smash games that don't have him in it then the less likely as a character he is imo.

Edit: Invalid arguement
I think that importance and relevancy go hand in hand. You can have Mario games without Goombas and Birdo etc.
The paper mario series has given goomba a pretty good moveset:troll:.

But seriously King Boo and Egadd aren't as relevant as Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Peach, and Rosalina. If they branched off and made Luigi his own series in smash then I could see King Boo and Egadd. but in comparison the characters I listed aren't as relevant as characters that are in the game as playable. Ultimately it all goes down to relevance in most cases. Sure you could say toad is more relevant than Rosalina but she is more important to the series than Toad is. and importance to the series is a factor in relevance. as well as game appearances.

(Sorry about all the off topic mods)

D

Deleted member

Are we seriously arguing that K. Rool is irrelevant just because he was absent for two games (assuming he's not in Tropical Freeze whatsoever)?

KaBlamJamDan

Smash Ace
NNID
Kablamjamdan
3DS FC
5129-0509-8499
Why are we using the word "relevant" in Smash anyway? We already have characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B who never be used in a game since the 80s.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
That era when K.Rool was in many games was probably the best time to put him as a playable character in smash. But they didn't. Instead characters like Plusle and Minun, Toon Zelda, and Dixie had better chances. Now that there has been a while since he has been relevant in the series I just think that he's unlikely. The DK series seems to be moving on without K.Rool. So I think that since the series has moved on then his time for smash has passed too. Jiggs was relevant during the very first smash so of course she would stay in all of them. All of the original 12 have been in every game so thats the most likely reason Jiggs has been in since then. Yea sure there are exceptions like Rob and Icees but retros are normally single character franchises. Ness was relevant when the first smash was out and he's been in ever since. They were in the process of earthbound 64 at the time. Lucas was relevant as well because of Mother 3. Shiek is still relevant because of Ocarina of time 3d and Sheik was in a previous Smash game. I'm not saying K.Rool doesn't matter at all but the more smash games that don't have him in it then the less likely as a character he is imo.
It also took them three games to get Diddy, as well as other obvious characters like Dedede, Meta Knight, Wario, and Charizard, and a second Metroid character (who's actually the same damn character). Lots of characters are slow to be added. Just because he hasn't been around for a while doesn't mean he's gone completely, and hey, we don't even know for sure he's not in Tropical Freeze. He's still important. Now, if he's not in this game, I'll agree that he's probably never gonna be in unless he comes back in the DKC series, but I think he has a good chance of being in this one.

Oh, and calling Sheik relevant at all is laughable. She was in one game out of seventeen (not counting remakes). She was recent when Melee came out, but hadn't been in a Zelda game in ten years by the time Brawl was released. She's only still in the game because she has been. Just like Ness, Jigglypuff, and Olimar. When it comes to characters, recency doesn't matter at all.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Okay guys, Okay... You can't deny that K.Rool's chances for being in a smash game are just as high as when brawl was being developed. Relevancy is important along with other things. I'm saying K.Rool should've been in a smash game by now and since he hasn't its pretty suspicious to me that's all. and since he hasn't been in a game in 6-7 years thats also pretty suspicious to me. Soooooooooooo.... anyways....
When it comes to characters, recency doesn't matter at all.
Roy was in smash before his game even came out. So it matters if even just a little bit.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
O
Roy was in smash before his game even came out. So it matters if even just a little bit.
And yet we have ROB, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch (mind you two out of three of the ones I mentioned we're in Melee).
Strange isn't it?

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Okay guys, Okay... You can't deny that K.Rool's chances for being in a smash game are just as high as when brawl was being developed. Relevancy is important along with other things. I'm saying K.Rool should've been in a smash game by now and since he hasn't its pretty suspicious to me that's all. and since he hasn't been in a game in 6-7 years thats also pretty suspicious to me. Soooooooooooo.... anyways....
Lots of characters should have been in a Smash before they were. Ridley should have been in already, and yet he still isn't. And I'd say his chances are even higher, now that Diddy is out of the way. The only other character that really stands in his way is Dixie, and since she was planned in the first place, making her for this game will probably be way easier, meaning more time could be spent on K. Rool.

:rolleyes: Okay, whatever dude. It makes the tiniest bit of difference. But it doesn't stop important characters from being important. Sakurai clearly doesn't care if someone hasn't been around for a while.

And yet we have ROB, Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game and Watch (mind you two out of three of the ones I mentioned we're in Melee).
Strange isn't it?
And Pit!

Midge

Smash Apprentice

He was in Mario Super Sluggers. That was like 3 years ago, not 6 or 7. Maybe not a DKC game, but he has been in games.

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Strange isn't it?
I'd love to keep this conversation going but I've already mentioned those characters in previous posts. So yea I mean there are always spots for retros but existing franchises within the game don't have retro/older characters in them so theres that.

Lots of characters should have been in a Smash before they were. Ridley should have been in already, and yet he still isn't. And I'd say his chances are even higher, now that Diddy is out of the way. The only other character that really stands in his way is Dixie, and since she was planned in the first place, making her for this game will probably be way easier, meaning more time could be spent on K. Rool.

:rolleyes: Okay, whatever dude. It makes the tiniest bit of difference. But it doesn't stop important characters from being important. Sakurai clearly doesn't care if someone hasn't been around for a while.

And Pit!
I agree. atleast 95% with this. We finally found a(almost) consensus.:b::happysheep::)
He was in Mario Super Sluggers. That was like 3 years ago, not 6 or 7. Maybe not a DKC game, but he has been in games.
that was made in 08. 6 years ago.

With leaks I think we are all pretty sure that Stanley the Bugman isn't going to be a retro character to represent the DK series right?
EDIT: I mean DK junior or something.

Last edited:

Midge

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to keep this conversation going but I've already mentioned those characters in previous posts. So yea I mean there are always spots for retros but existing franchises within the game don't have retro/older characters in them so theres that.

I agree. atleast 95% with this. We finally found a(almost) consensus.:b::happysheep::)

that was made in 08. 6 years ago.

With leaks I think we are all pretty sure that Stanley the Bugman isn't going to be a retro character to represent the DK series right?
Has it really been that long? I feel old now.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Wait.
...Are you implying that K. Rool is a retro character? What? six years? I think that hardly counts as "retro".

Last edited:

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Those two are of course completely comparable. :p
ha whoops Isn't there like an old character from DK series that hasn't been heard of for a while or something? DK junior? Idk man...
Wait.
...Are you implying that K. Rool is a retro character? What? six years? I think that hardly counts as "retro".
the retro was the precedent and the older character part meant K.Rool. not the retro part. like retro character or an older character like K.rool but I mean lets just stop... please... I'm afraid of the mods.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
the retro was the precedent and the older character part meant K.Rool. not the retro part. like retro character or an older character like K.rool but I mean lets just stop... please... I'm afraid of the mods.
Still, it's ridiculous to say a character can't be in just because they haven't been in a game in a while.
Apparently it doesn't matter, as somehow Lucas got in. Or is he another retro rep as well?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
King k rool not relevant

(Now from this don't get me wrong i do think that the main villian on the right is not k rool but)

The guy on the right is the snowmad leader

(Except the toes) there bodies are almost identical

Not a smash 4 rumor but now a rumor that the leader is king k rool in disguise the shoes could have something in them to make the toes look un pointy

The disguise could be used as a winter coat for rool in the article area and his walrus mask as a hood

(But again I'm sure that walrus is not king k rool in disguise)

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
Why are we using the word "relevant" in Smash anyway? We already have characters like Mr. Game & Watch and R.O.B who never be used in a game since the 80s.
people say relevant when they mean recency. relevant to nintendo's history r.o.b. and game and watch certainly qualify.

relevancy isn't the right way to think about it because it implies recency instead i think the roster decisions is a mixture of how much the character or series DESERVES to be represented, moveset potential, and whatever sakurai feels like.

deserving to be represented can mean things beyond simply being a popular series like zelda this can be sales figures for wii fit or r.o.b. making the nes usher in a new era of household gaming. move set potential i dont think picks a series so much as it might pick which character we get from that series or even sadly stopping some characters from getting in. and then you cannot overlook the fact sakurai does whatever he wants with these games and this can be a good and bad thing when picking roster characters but it's the truth.

basically...it's fun to argue and speculate about this stuff but in the end it's not a formula it's sakurai making a game for us how he wants so anything can happen for any reason so if you can make a decent arguement for or against someone you might be on to something but...we'll just have to wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom