• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide [SSB4] Kirby's Epic Guide (ver. 2.1)

Zenip19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenip19
3DS FC
4167-4543-8619
You... can't tech trips.
Really, I could've sworn i saw a link in FG roll after a trip (that is a tech right???), i must be trippin. But if that is true, then d-tilt(trip) to hammer is legit.

Last edited:

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Even if you could tech after a D-tilt trip, that doesn't necessarily invalidate the combo and make it 'useless'. At most, it would just make you choose between going for the Hammer (expecting no Tech) or going for a Tech Chase (expecting a Tech). I really wouldn't expect many people to Tech Kirby's D-tilt on reaction anyway, so it would still stand that D-tilt to Hammer would be feasible.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I tested it with Hammer Bash, and D-Tilt (Trip) > Hammer Bash is a true combo on everyone. However, the timings and spacings vary, as characters with higher traction go further away on trip.

Zenip19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenip19
3DS FC
4167-4543-8619
I tested it with Hammer Bash, and D-Tilt (Trip) > Hammer Bash is a true combo on everyone. However, the timings and spacings vary, as characters with higher traction go further away on trip.
Although I found it works with the default hammer on most characters, since tournaments don't allow customs this is pretty good.
I still hope they'll find a way to make it work though.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
But... you still can't tech trips. Right guys? My whole life isn't a lie, right?

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
But... you still can't tech trips. Right guys? My whole life isn't a lie, right?
no you can tech trips noob can't believe you didn't know that

TIL asdioh's life is a lie

(You can't trip techs)

edit:

LOL I messed that up so bad

Last edited:

Zenip19

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenip19
3DS FC
4167-4543-8619
Man, I think i'm gonna quit this game, I only bought it 'cause my friend old me I can trip techs. :urg:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
What are some good setups to landing an Inhale? With limited range and 17 frames of startup, it isn't exactly something you can just throw out. I'd imagine baiting your opponent into shielding would help, but...

EDIT: In hindsight, maybe I should've posted this in moveset discussion.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Hmm that is a good question. Does Dtilt (trip) into Inhale work?
Well it works if your opponent doesn't throw a get-up attack in your face. It not really reliable I would say. Inhale has way too much start-up to set up in any really good way. It feels like you just have to bait your enemy into it... I'm just glad that I have Jumping Inhale as it is so much easier to land.

EDIT: I haven't played much without customs for a while, but the best setup for Inhale I can think of is sourspotted u-tilt at low percents. I guess that works decently well. Sweetspotted u-tilt at low percent works as well if you reverse the Inhale.

Last edited:

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
Thanks for the information. I really didn't know and never try it myself.
I think I have done this like once against a good player without really thinking about it, but I will try to keep this in mind next time I play. Also, it works with Jumping Inhale just as well as the default as the start of the attacks are kinda the same.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I don't think anything is guaranteed into inhale. Maybe jumping inhale? But I'm not sure. Dair->Inhale can work, Uptilt or Dtilt to Inhale can work, but that's only if your opponent doesn't see it coming, and reacts in a suboptimal way.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I don't think anything is guaranteed into inhale. Maybe jumping inhale? But I'm not sure. Dair->Inhale can work, Uptilt or Dtilt to Inhale can work, but that's only if your opponent doesn't see it coming, and reacts in a suboptimal way.
Yeah I guess that's true. I guess d-air would work well as the opponent will often shield fearing a quick smash attack.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I don't go for D-air to Inhale for the most part. Since D-air is such a good combo starter it's usually a better idea to take advatage of the D-air than to go for a not-so-guaraneteed Inhale.

There really aren't any combos into Inhale. It seems to best be used when expecting the opponent to go defensive (Shield, Dodge) where they won't have an active attack hitting you while you start up the Inhale. You can do things like U-tilt or D-air and go for an Inhale, but since it's not a real combo you're still just hoping they Air Dodge into it or whatever.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
I don't go for D-air to Inhale for the most part. Since D-air is such a good combo starter it's usually a better idea to take advatage of the D-air than to go for a not-so-guaraneteed Inhale.

There really aren't any combos into Inhale. It seems to best be used when expecting the opponent to go defensive (Shield, Dodge) where they won't have an active attack hitting you while you start up the Inhale. You can do things like U-tilt or D-air and go for an Inhale, but since it's not a real combo you're still just hoping they Air Dodge into it or whatever.
Since Inhale is a command grab that can be used in the air, I like to use it as a good mix up. If you can condition your opponent to shield when you approach from the air, you can use it to get free damage. Just a shame it doesn't follow up into anything, hell I don't even think it has good setups.

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
Since Inhale is a command grab that can be used in the air, I like to use it as a good mix up. If you can condition your opponent to shield when you approach from the air, you can use it to get free damage. Just a shame it doesn't follow up into anything, hell I don't even think it has good setups.
True, sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't,
But generally I use Kirbys Up tilt for combos until the opponent does like..... once they are at a high enough percent they enter this sort of animation where they flip after a certain percent(Hitstun?)
Anyways after I see that I either get another one, or use Up smash, but depending on the weight, if up tilt won't hit without them escaping, I go for up airs and a Nair, and it makes quite and effective combo.
The up tilt strings is so much better on fast fallers, you can hit them like 5-10 times if you hit them in the front part a few times, where the knock back is very weak.

Is it true that Kirbys foot is intangible during his Utilt and Usmash and that he has some invincibility on his Dsmash?

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
But generally I use Kirbys Up tilt for combos until the opponent does like..... once they are at a high enough percent they enter this sort of animation where they flip after a certain percent(Hitstun?)

Is it true that Kirbys foot is intangible during his Utilt and Usmash and that he has some invincibility on his Dsmash?
The flipping is generally coined as a tumbling animation.

And as far as the Utilt and Usmash, they are lasting hitboxes, so they are likely to cancel out the attack instead of actually being intangible, but I could be wrong.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
The flipping is generally coined as a tumbling animation.

And as far as the Utilt and Usmash, they are lasting hitboxes, so they are likely to cancel out the attack instead of actually being intangible, but I could be wrong.
I don't know where can I can find the hitbox data of characters though ;(

RRoulette

Smash Apprentice
i heard that bthrow to uair was a thing in this forum, but i could never get it in at the percentages that the guy posted, i only got fthrow to fair

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
I'm salty about Yoshi being superior in just about every way. Somebody even told me "Use Yoshi instead" >_>
yoshi mains tend to take to the air....i found a way to counter this by using my up b when the opprotunity arises which it does alot lol

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Really, I could've sworn i saw a link in FG roll after a trip (that is a tech right???), i must be trippin. But if that is true, then d-tilt(trip) to hammer is legit.
Nobody ever explained this.
A tech is what happens when you hit the shield button within 20 frames of hitting a wall or a floor while in the character's tumbling animation. This causes the character to quickly get up instead of thudding on the ground and being open to attacks. When you do this you can do a standup tech or a tech roll.
What you're referring to is a getup roll. When on the floor (via a missed tech or a trip), a character can get up in a variety of ways. They can do a getup attack, stand where they are, or roll in either direction.
You cannot tech a trip, since a trip does not put the character in a tumble animation.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Backthrow -> Upper Cutter is a true combo on most of the characters that Backthrow -> Backair does not work on.
On the characters Backair does work on, Backthrow -> Upper Cutter continues to work after Backthrow -> Backair stops working, for a little while. I don't know the exact numbers, but I ran some tests in not-training mode on CPUs.
If anyone has someone to help them test certain things out, that'd be cool. For example, Bthrow->Backair "works" on Sonic, but he can punish you for it, because you'll only hit him with the sourspot of Backair. Bthrow->Upper Cutter seems "safer," but he does land before you can, and he has the fastest runspeed, so there's a good chance he can run up and punish you before you exit freefall.

Backthrow -> Upper Cutter does not work on certain fastfallers (at 0%) like Fox, Greninja, and Sheik. It works on Megaman, but I'm not sure if he can punish your freefall, etc.

I assumed this is common knowledge for people who play with customs, but if not, I think this is worth learning, because Backthrow (8%) plus Upper Cutter (10%) is Kirby's highest damage throw option at low percents, assuming Backair (13%) does not work. The problem lies in figuring out exactly who it works on, and at what percents (and including the oh-so wonderful Rage that can screw with your combos, although Rage might actually help the move work at 0% on characters it doesn't work on, like Fox) and figuring out which characters can punish you for it, and which characters it's just free damage on. Although, if the stage has platforms, there's a good chance you can safely land on those platforms, making this combo safer.

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
It might be worth mentioning we have partial invincibility on:
Utilt
Usmash
Dsmash

http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8

No wonder why Utilt always seems to work no matter what we hit :p
I KNEW IT, that's why his Usmash is just so awesome, powerful, fast decent ranged and with invincibility frames, same with Utilt man is this cool.
Dsmash lasts 10 frames right? Still cool because I think it's still his fastest Smash attack

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
i was watching some mike kirby plays......he's on a way different level i also sense a rivalry between you and NinjaLink

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
It might be worth mentioning we have partial invincibility on:
Utilt
Usmash
Dsmash

http://pastebin.com/PzTjdtx8

No wonder why Utilt always seems to work no matter what we hit :p
I thought this was known but I guess it's just because I've been looking at that pastebin. It's definitely something that should be added in here if it isn't already though. :phone:

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
Yeah, I feel like NinjaLink and I have a rivalry, too. :laugh: I won the last encounter but, to be honest, I'm down like 7-11 vs him or something.

I actually didn't know that about U-smash. I knew the other two did. It's funny 'cause I wished U-smash would have had the same properties as u-tilt and, it turns out, it always did! Thanks! This changes a lot! :bee:

Last edited:

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
i discovered a combo in progress!
U tilt(while they're in front of you)
F tilt ( aimed diagonally)
D tilt (if they trip go for the f smash!)

Jepps

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shinobi76
3DS FC
0361-6802-4240
it works up until 30% unless you do F tilt instead of D tilt and maybe a grab

Top Bottom