• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS SSB3D Disappointments Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
For me it'd have to be the exclusion of Mewtwo. He was my favorite character in the entire series and no one in Brawl came close to filling the void he left behind. I never cared for Lucario at all and Greninja is one of my least-favorite Gen VI Pokemon, so I don't see myself touching either of them when I get the game. I know it's more or less a lost cause at this point, but I'm really hoping for a DLC or something with Mewtwo one day. Same goes for Wolf to a lesser extent.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I may get some flak for this, but I'm gonna be blunt ant to the point: The game's presentation of itself and it's content.

I was (foolishly) really hoping the 3DS version of the game would be extremely fleshed out to really stand out on it's own as a fully-fledged game with an abundance of content and modes and things to do, but considering that aside from Smash Run, most of the stuff in this version is also going to be in the Wii u version or can be transferred over to it, I've slowly been noticing how little of it's own stuff it actually has. That includes the stages too, a large abundance of which are simply from previous games it seems or might be in the Wii U version in some cases. I mean, the stages that are new and exclusive to the 3DS version all do look good for the most part, but...I dunno. When it comes to everything, even Classic Mode and All-Star, I can't help but feel like this game is either incomplete or just doesn't have much to it and the Wii U version actually is where the big meat of the Smash experience will be at. It really feels like 3DS Smash is just "get coins, get trophies, get custom moves for the Wii U version early".

tl;dr: 3DS Smash literally feels like it's just "Smash 4 Lite". I find it even more ridiculous that Sakurai wanted us to think of 3DS and Wii U as the 4th and 5th entries in the series when the 3DS version is really just a smaller version of the bigger one.

Not to say that there's anything inherently wrong with the 3DS version, though. It still has a lot of charm. It vastly surpasses Melee and Brawl for me in terms of how it pulls me in and keeps me interested. I just feel like there's so much more we aren't being given yet, which goes without saying since the Wii U version isn't out yet.

Still, good game. Definitely like it. Even if I'm not at all happy with the unlockable characters, which is another part of why I find it lacking.

TheAppleFreak

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheAppleFreak
  • Blast lines are so far away, but that's already been said.
  • No CPP support, which I'm kinda surprised about
  • RIP Princess Puff
And of course, the biggest disappointment thus far:

Last edited:

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
I really only have four complaints, but I can see why each didn't make it into the game:

Slightly more hitstun.
Less knockback at lower percents.
Ground -> aerial momentum transfer.
No edge snap.

But if I want all of these, I should really just play melee.

I'm completely satisfied with smash 4.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
For me it'd have to be the exclusion of Mewtwo. He was my favorite character in the entire series and no one in Brawl came close to filling the void he left behind. I never cared for Lucario at all and Greninja is one of my least-favorite Gen VI Pokemon, so I don't see myself touching either of them when I get the game. I know it's more or less a lost cause at this point, but I'm really hoping for a DLC or something with Mewtwo one day. Same goes for Wolf to a lesser extent.
I love Lucario. He is my favorite Pokemon.
But in a reasonable roster, he definitely does not stand in for Mewtwo. I may not necessarily feel your pain, but I agree with you wholeheartedly.

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
I love Lucario. He is my favorite Pokemon.
But in a reasonable roster, he definitely does not stand in for Mewtwo. I may not necessarily feel your pain, but I agree with you wholeheartedly.
I feel you. Lucario is pretty much everyone's default favorite Pokemon, at least from 4th gen, so I can see how it'd cause some outcry if he was excluded too. Still I think he plays different enough from Mewtwo (who could be further diversified in SSB4) to be considered not a clone. M2 was one of the most requested characters, though. As I said, really hoping for some DLC or that that rumor about linking the Wii U and 3DS versions is true. I was gonna get both anyways.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
- Rosalina's and Shulk's entrance animation
- No online Smash run
- Reused brawl victory themes
- Two songs per stage
- Flatzone 2 instead of Flatzone 1 if they just couldn't make a new Game & Watch stage
- Online seems to be weird for the most part
- sonic's alt colors
- Kirby getting only one thing based on his newer games which is the ultra sword final smash
- No Masked Dedede
- Dark pit not having different weapon types

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
In the RTC topic I said that all my hype for this game would be pretty much killed if the leaked CSS was final. I was disappointed to see that it was the case but I got over it and I'm now interested in competitive techniques for this instalment of Super Smash Bros. But there are some things I dislike in this game and that disappoint me:

> Mewtwo not being in the playable roster. He had so much going for him and it was pretty much his only chance to be playable in Smash again, because he will most likely not be as relevant in the Smash 5 days.
> The Mario and Kid Icarus franchises gaining more game contents than anything else, while Metroid and Donkey Kong gain pretty much nothing. Dark Pit is a worthless character choice IMO.
> Ganondorf still being unable to use magic projectiles, and Falco still having the Landmaster as Final Smash.
> I got over the idea of a playable Golden Sun rep in Super Smash Bros. (at least in SSB4, I hope that an hypothetical successful Golden Sun 4 will make the series relevant again for SSB5) but Isaac was the coolest Assist Trophy in Brawl and I'm sad that the series was completely cut from SSB4.
> No new Assist Trophy from Donkey Kong, Pikmin or Fire Emblem. I'd love to see Micaiah or Frederick as an AT. Perhaps Wii U exclusives.
> That empty slot in the final stage selection screen. It's so ugly.
> Audino as a collectible trophy. Goddamn I despise that thing so much and I wanted it to NOT be in the game in any way, shape or form; at least it isn't a Poké Ball summon. (Yes I know this one is kinda stupid)

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
The blast zones being really huge and Smash Run not having online mode but it still looks like a good game overall.
This is literally what I was going to say. the game looks incredible! but, the blast zones are a huge bummer and smash run being local only also sucks.

KRBAY

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SSBBSonic
3DS FC
0774-4477-0228
This is one of the best games ever. However, nothing can be perfect:

• Luigi is no longer unlockable, breaking his continuous streak.
  • No Event Matches.
  • No Ice Climbers.
  • The starting roster is crazy. I would expect all third-parties to be unlockable, but none of them are. This is okay, since I'm planning to co-main :4megaman: and:4sonic:, but still weird.
  • Too many returning stages.
  • Dark Pit in his entirety. Lucina is different enough that I like her, and so is the Doc. But Dark Pit was a color swap to begin with, so why didn't they just keep him as that?
  • Most sound effects are just copies of Brawl's.
  • No online Smash Run.
  • All clones having the same FS as their originals.
  • Two songs per stage.
  • The fact that the 3DS version limited the entire game. If it was Wii U only, we would probably have Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and others. (Not Ridley.)
Still, this game is extremely fun, and I look forward to its actual NA release and the Wii U version.

Prism

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jesset202
3DS FC
0576-5008-6643
This is one of the best games ever. However, nothing can be perfect:

• Luigi is no longer unlockable, breaking his continuous streak.
  • No Event Matches.
  • No Ice Climbers.
  • The starting roster is crazy. I would expect all third-parties to be unlockable, but none of them are. This is okay, since I'm planning to co-main :4megaman: and:4sonic:, but still weird.
  • Too many returning stages.
  • Dark Pit in his entirety. Lucina is different enough that I like her, and so is the Doc. But Dark Pit was a color swap to begin with, so why didn't they just keep him as that?
  • Most sound effects are just copies of Brawl's.
  • No online Smash Run.
  • All clones having the same FS as their originals.
  • Two songs per stage.
  • The fact that the 3DS version limited the entire game. If it was Wii U only, we would probably have Ice Climbers, Mewtwo, and others. (Not Ridley.)
Still, this game is extremely fun, and I look forward to its actual NA release and the Wii U version.
Oh yeah, that's another thing - I'm sooo sad they only have 2 songs per stage. I spent too much time making custom songlists in PM and now I'm spoiled :/ The music in Smash 4 is fantastic though.

(Sorry for double post)

Last edited:

ReddFloxy

Smash Apprentice
As someone who loves Metroid and played every last one of them, my only disappointment is that Ridley wasn't included after all Sakurai's teases. I love the roster in it's whole but I just miss that one purple dragon

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
First and foremost:
- The lack of :popo:, :lucas:, :wolf:, :mewtwopm:. It really sucks but all we can do is move on and hope DLC is a reality.

With that out of the way, even without factoring them into the roster, I found it to be underwhelming. I'm baffled by the fact that many characters that you'd expect to be unlockable (:4shulk:, :4megaman:, :4pacman:, :4palutena: for example) are starters; I honestly would have enjoyed unlocking them.

The Stage Selection is EXTREMELY underwhelming. I like past stages but the choices are poor, generally the consensus is towards Mushroomy Kingdom, but the fact that they represent a franchise is unfortunate, especially if certain franchises such as DK didn't get new stages.

Favoritism.

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
I feel that a few of the problems that people have mentioned, mainly the very distant blast lines and safe dodges, aren't necessarily problems, just things that we as players must adapt to. I actually like these changes, I feel with how the game plays 2 stock will be the norm, and with that players will need to protect their stock to the fullest, the distant blast lines helps with it, but it makes suicides extremely damaging, meaning players will need to play safely and good dodges help with that. Some people see this play style as bad but this is how I prefer to play, so I fully welcome these changes. Actually looking at the problems, my only issues are:
  • No online Smash Run, maybe this will come in a patch. Nintendo seems a lot more welcoming to patches now, just look at Mario Kart 8.
  • No Ice Climbers. They were an original moveset and I found them fun to play, I know the issues with them being on the 3DS version, but they could have been a Wii U exclusive.
  • Lack of changes to Final Smashes. This doesn't effect no item matches, but some more diverse Final Smashes would have been nice.
Overall I'm happy with the 3DS version, I might even play it more than the Wii U version, since I can play it anywhere. gr8 game m8 i r8 it 8/8

keninblack

Smash Cadet
-Too much Kid Icarus, I get it Sakurai you're proud of that game for some reason but what the ****.

-NO PROFESSER E. GADD. I feel like I'm the only one who thinks he would be soooo sweet but what do I know?

-No online Smash Run is pretty silly but it doesn't bother too much I guess.

-Getting rid of clones, just to add clones of more recent IP's. (One of which is from Kid Icarus, what a ****ing surprise.)

-The 12 unlockable characters in this game are suuuuuper disappointing across the board.
-Also, unlocking the characters is so tedious and simple, why do we have to unlock them? IMHO everyone should've been given to you from the start just because of how mindless and easy it is to unlock them. Complete waste of time.

-Blast zones, of course.

-F-Zero, and MOTHER getting shafted on content again but thats not too surprising to be honest.

-Lack of tracks but I feel like the WIiU version will make up for it.

-"For Glory" mode is borderline a comical jab at the competitive community, WE **** WITH PLATFORMS TOO.

Last edited:

Sonissonic

Smash Rookie
Maybe this is just me, but Trying to actually pull off Megaman's Shrouiken (Yeah, I butchered the name, sorry :p) is almost impossible for me to consistently pull off. The controls are the only thing annoying me for now, but I know we can adjust them to our liking once we get the full game.

Edit,: And of course, No smash run online? Shouldn't that already be online?

Last edited:

VKatana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
erivatro5
3DS FC
4527-8168-1631
-Too much Kid Icarus, I get it Sakurai you're proud of that game for some reason but what the ****.

-NO PROFESSER E. GADD. I feel like I'm the only one who thinks he would be soooo sweet but what do I know?
Agreed, KI:U is highly over represented for being a single game. I don't mind Palutena too much but honestly if they're gonna give us a clone I'd rather have the Y Mega Evolution of Mewtwo as a clone of Lucario. As far as a Mario newcomer goes, not sure if E. Gadd would be my first pick. He's such a tiny frail old man, it's hard to envision him in Smash. I'd rather have Kamek or Paper Mario.

keninblack

Smash Cadet
Agreed, KI:U is highly over represented for being a single game. I don't mind Palutena too much but honestly if they're gonna give us a clone I'd rather have the Y Mega Evolution of Mewtwo as a clone of Lucario. As far as a Mario newcomer goes, not sure if E. Gadd would be my first pick. He's such a tiny frail old man, it's hard to envision him in Smash. I'd rather have Kamek or Paper Mario.
B-but Mario could get Tornado back.

Give E Gadd the Fludd and incorporate it with multiple moves.

Poltergust AND the PAINT BRUSH DOE?!

It'd be wild.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
- Dr. Mario, I don't care if Dr. Mario with FLUDD would seem weird, two Mario's existing is more awkward.

- Dark Pit, completely Sakurai bias there, he was fine as a skin of Pit. Why couldn't the creator of games I like develop this game? I was honestly surprised we didn't get another Kirby rep. (yet)

- Smash Run, I have no interest in this mode, using enemies from the games instead of subspace trash is cool though I guess.

- No Red Star Mario color.

- Fierce Deity Link doesn't have the blade he actually uses, not a big deal but would have been nice.

- No Mewtwo confuses me. His exclusion is the only reason I somewhat am believing this "Wii U version will add characters" crap.

More later.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
-"For Glory" mode is borderline a comical jab at the competitive community, WE **** WITH PLATFORMS TOO.
Absolutely.

I would have loved if there were neutral mode for stages rather than FD mode.

Magicant, Dr. Wily's Castle, and N's Castle would be decent tourney stages if it weren't for the hazards. In addition, for stages like Gerudo Valley, GHZ, and Guar Plains with walk-offs, I wouldn't have minded a revamp for them.

j3lly

Smash Cadet
I actually like these changes, I feel with how the game plays 2 stock will be the norm, and with that players will need to protect their stock to the fullest, the distant blast lines helps with it, but it makes suicides extremely damaging, meaning players will need to play safely and good dodges help with that. Some people see this play style as bad but this is how I prefer to play, so I fully welcome these changes.
It's a thread dedicated to our disappointments, meaning they're our opinions. Your post is a perfect example of this. Playing "safe and protective" is exactly what lead to Brawl's defensive and campy gameplay, you might like it but a good portion of the Smash community prefers aggressive gameply and gimping.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
-The speed
-Lack of Movement Technique
-Dark Pit
-Nintendo advertising this game like it is as competitive as melee
-Blast Zones
-Ice Climbers (WHY DID YOU HAVE TO PROGRAM THIS GAME FROM SCRATCH)

Last edited:

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
-The speed
-Lack of Movement Technique
-Dark Pit
-Nintendo advertising this game like it is as competitive as melee
-Blast Zones
Melee is dumb in my opinion, Smash 4 is the best at the moment, but it's my opinion.
Also i don't get lack of movement technique, can you clarify?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
-The cuts are really hurts. Squirtle, Ivysaur and even snake were ok but, Lucas, Wolf and Ice Climber, am already miss them.
-Dark Pit and Lucina are lazy clones compare to Lucas and Wolf.
-Dr. Mario over Mewtwo is a **** excuse, How they can do this.
-They choose the not very good returning stages...
-Jigglypuff is the last character you unlocked, really it should be R.O.B. or at least Duck Hunt.
-No online Smash Run
-Blast zone little to big.
-They choose not very requested character, Not many of them were REALLY HIGH REQUESTED. Except Megaman... the others are popular later in smash 4 cycle.
-The stage I most in Smash Bros, are Back??? really?! At least turn into Final Destination.

This personal but... I want DLC, I never like DLC but I want now some DLC.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Stupid Sakurai:
There wasn’t as high a priority given to series that are unlikely to have another installment at this time.

But it was high priority to add Dark Pit???

How about we get a Dark Pit alt and have :lucas::wolf: back since their specials are already in the game and their models are similar to Fox/Ness. Oh wait there wasn't even enough time for that, Palutena's 40 custom moves took up too much time :facepalm:
(smart guy is Sakurai)

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
It's a thread dedicated to our disappointments, meaning they're our opinions. Your post is a perfect example of this. Playing "safe and protective" is exactly what lead to Brawl's defensive and campy gameplay, you might like it but a good portion of the Smash community prefers aggressive gameply and gimping.
That's true, aggressive gameplay is pretty fun, but a lot of the new characters are made for aggressive play styles, like Little Mac and Shulk. Also, if the game does end up defensive, that just means that being able to gimp would give players a massive advantage, multiple characters have shown gimping potential, but just because it's more difficult simply means that people will have to play safely to do it, it seems like a pretty good balance between Melee and Brawl, and Melee is hardly the best game for competitive battles, maybe the best Smash Bros for competitive, but there have only been 3 games so that isn't saying much.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
That's true, aggressive gameplay is pretty fun, but a lot of the new characters are made for aggressive play styles, like Little Mac and Shulk. Also, if the game does end up defensive, that just means that being able to gimp would give players a massive advantage, multiple characters have shown gimping potential, but just because it's more difficult simply means that people will have to play safely to do it, it seems like a pretty good balance between Melee and Brawl, and Melee is hardly the best game for competitive battles, maybe the best Smash Bros for competitive, but there have only been 3 games so that isn't saying much.
Melee+64 are the best competitive entries IMO, because they aren't slower or faster versions of each other, and they play differently.

If it counts, PM is the best IMO

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Stupid Sakurai:
There wasn’t as high a priority given to series that are unlikely to have another installment at this time.

But it was high priority to add Dark Pit???

How about we get a Dark Pit alt and have :lucas::wolf: back since their specials are already in the game and their models are similar to Fox/Ness. Oh wait there wasn't even enough time for that, Palutena's 40 custom moves took up too much time :facepalm:
(smart guy is Sakurai)
Yeah its pure bull****

Melee+64 are the best competitive entries IMO, because they aren't slower or faster versions of each other, and they play differently.

If it counts, PM is the best IMO
It counts. Even more so if not developed by sakurai.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
http://www.gonintendo.com/s/237530-...mash-bros-wii-u-3ds-as-well-as-release-dates\

"with Ice Climbers unlikely to have another installment in their franchise, high priority wasn't given to them."

Oh yeah, but Dark Pit, from a game that Sakurai said was a one off was apparently higher priority than Wolf, whose series is a long runner. Even if that logic made sense, this means ROB, Captain Falcon, G&W, and Duck Hunt should be gone too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom