• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB Guitar thread

Vijin

Smash Ace
So how many of you guys play guitar? What kind? And how long have you been playing?
I've been playing for about 9 months now. Eventually plan on getting good enough to take any song from a video game and be able to play it on guitar. What about you guys?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I do. I have:

Fender stratocaster
my current guitar issss a
fender custom telecaster with duncan pickups, all one piece of wood. it's sexy.

list price was 840$$$, and it's also discontinued now.

I've had a burns brian may issue guitar, errr, a couple of acoustics. some yamaha lol.

I've been playing for 9 years.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
9 years? ****. ANy tips? Maybe you can help me learn a couple of songs :p
yup, lol. Tips? Well, here's one. Don't just subject to one certain genre. But that's cool if you want to play that. Learn what you want to learn, and learn what that band/artist's inspiration was. it'll help and then you'll develop a feel for what you really wanna play.

Well, learn to tune. Try doing everything by ear. Learn harmonics, those will come in handy.

Errrr, I can't really think of what else right now. As for learning and picking up by ear and stuff, it'll take a while. get into some music theory and learn what an octave is, how many notes in an octave, etcetcetc. Really, I don't know any chords by memorization, but how it sounds.

I'm bad with written stuff, but yeah. It'll all come to you rather quickly when you start noticing it all.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I play guitar and keyboard. I can play Kirby's Gourmet race song on both. I can play one of Wind Requirem theme, I used to know how to play one of the pokemon battles themes. I know how to play It Doesnt Matter by Crush 40, its also known as Sonic's theme song.
Ive been play keyboard for 14 years, and been playing guitar for 7 years.

I have a Yamaha acoustic. An Acoustic/Electric guitar, and a Strato black electric guitar, and a casio keyboard.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
I play guitar and keyboard. I can play Kirby's Gourmet race song on both. I can play one of Wind Requirem theme, I used to know how to play one of the pokemon battles themes. I know how to play It Doesnt Matter by Crush 40, its also known as Sonic's theme song.
Ive been play keyboard for 14 years, and been playing guitar for 7 years.

I have a Yamaha acoustic. An Acoustic/Electric guitar, and a Strato black electric guitar, and a casio keyboard.
what casio keyboard >_>_>_>_>_>

Master Raven

Smash Master
I play bass.

Haven't played in a while though, but I really want to because I really want to get into making music soon.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
I play a little guitar and bass when necessary for recording purposes. Same with drums.

But my main instrument is piano. I've been playing heavily my whole life. I can play tons and tons of songs, but I prefer on-the-spot composition.

I use garage band and logic pro 8 along with a midi cable and http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qu...-120DK_L-4222df923231ca57c2f4ab4886cbf157.jpg this digital grand piano to write music too.

You can check out my music at http://www.purevolume.com/OfFreaksandWizards

My advice is learn to read sheet music (not just tabs).

Being able to read sheet music is the most useful skill ever, and is important if you want to play as professionally.

Also, do you prefer electric or acoustic guitar?

video game music usually sounds better on electric, but i've always thought learning acoustic seemed more fun

Zoro

Smash Champion
I have an electric/acoustic/bass guitar and i play em regularly but im still garbage

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Also, do you prefer electric or acoustic guitar?

video game music usually sounds better on electric, but i've always thought learning acoustic seemed more fun

I prefer learning songs on acoustic, because it's harder. There's a bigger neck and more spaced out strings, so when I learn it on acoustic trasnfering to electric makes it much easier.

They're both different sounds though.

Come next gigs we're still makin muzik right? :lick:

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
yeah boiiiii

I'll try and have everything set up for that. Maybe if any devoted musicians are interested, we can leave gigs for a few hours during singles, and have a jam session.

I always though it would be cool to have a CD composed entirely by competitive smashers

PhatSoduhh do you like my music?

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
yeah boiiiii

I'll try and have everything set up for that. Maybe if any devoted musicians are interested, we can leave gigs for a few hours during singles, and have a jam session.

I always though it would be cool to have a CD composed entirely by competitive smashers

PhatSoduhh do you like my music?
I liked most of the patches you used.
Blessed machine is catchy as hell.
and the lead is awesome.

throw a thumpy bass on that. that porta is crazy.

get REASON 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://8bitcollective.com/music/wavdash/Scared+To+Try/

^^^^Made with 1 Game boy and 1 LSDJ, some mixing/compression in fruity loops after.

EVERYONE LISTEN, WHEN THIS AND OF FREAKS AND WIZARDS COMBINES, MINDS WILL BE BLOWN.

Vijin

Smash Ace
Well I'm keeping my mind open and I'd like to play anything, but eventually I want to be able to play songs from video games, some of my favorite songs in general, and jazz music. I've got a way to go though. My uncle is teaching me and he's teaching my country right now.

FlatSoda

Smash Champion
Well I'm keeping my mind open and I'd like to play anything, but eventually I want to be able to play songs from video games, some of my favorite songs in general, and jazz music. I've got a way to go though. My uncle is teaching me and he's teaching my country right now.
learn the blues.

the blues.

the bluuuuues.

Hawks go Caw

Smash Ace
I've been playing bass for about 3 years now. Don't do what I did and just play off of tabs. That'll might help your technique and playing overall, but it won't make you a musician. Seriously, I wasted a solid year doing that. It feels empty and pointless when all you can do is play tabs.

They aren't bad, just don't rely heavily on them. Also, study them; don't just look at the numbers. If you're looking to play lead, then look at the chords being played by the rhythm and figure out what notes the lead is emphasizing, how he's transitioning during chord changes, what notes are out of key and stuff. Helps you for when you want to start composing your own stuff (which you eventually will).

Pritch

Smash Lord
I saw this and I was happy. Jazz is amazing.

Noooo I'm all about that smooth jazz, baby! :love:
Then I saw this and I was sad. Smooth jazz is not amazing. Elevator music ftl. You gotta get hip to the real stuff if you're gonna get into jazz.

This is no Kenny G

vZakat

Half Genie
I actually play jazz drums and am working on jazz trumpet. We should totally get a smash jam session going or something, that would be awesome. What kind of stuff do you listen to, Pritch?

Pritch

Smash Lord

Vijin

Smash Ace
I saw this and I was happy. Jazz is amazing.

Then I saw this and I was sad. Smooth jazz is not amazing. Elevator music ftl. You gotta get hip to the real stuff if you're gonna get into jazz.

This is no Kenny G
LOL don't hate on smooth jazz, man! Besides, I listen to enough 'hip' music that I can take a break and listen to the easy going stuff for awhile.:psycho:

Top Bottom