• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SSB for DS? Or for the Next Nintendo Portable

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
Before i say anyhing...I need to know if this is the correct place to put this thread and if there is a thread already. Is there? Plz let me know so i dont make any mistakes...

Anyways...

How awesome would it be if we had a SSB for DS? Play online while chillin on your bed. Take it anywhere with you and just smash it up. In the bathroom, to work, during class (dont do that kids :)). There would be at least 30 characters. The touch screen could be used for quick smashes. As if it were a Cstick. 4 specials. Brand new items like a Bubble which traps them in. Or a sword which swings by itself. And items like the Fire flower, you would have to blow into the Mic. And online u can talk with each other during battle. Using a headset or the Mic. Also custom taunts. Like recording your own voice through the Mic. The loss of no Control Stick would be a huge problem for tactics. Such as Tilts and Smashes. Thats where the Touch screen comes in. Brand New stages where u have to say stuff into the Mic or Use the Touch screen. Like Brawl's WarioInc stage. Where u must taunt and stuff like that. Oh and speaking of taunt. To taunt there would just be a little taunt button that u touch on the Touch screen. I think this would be awesome.

This game would be called Super Smash Bros. Ds or Super Smash Bros. Redemption

Or this could be for the next Nintendo Portable. One having an Analog and Disc required to play games. Just like PSP. One day....

Jun.

Smash Lord
controls would be iffy. Nintendo has no doubtedly thought of this of course.

touch screen implementation would just be hard to do right

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
I think it could work, and could be a good success, but I hope it doesnt happen

Dont ask why. I dont really know myself. I just dont want it to happen

err

Smash Journeyman
top screen would have a view of your character (not locked in close like in training mode blech!)

bottom screen has a wider view of the whole map, shows item spawns, percentages, stocks, time, et al.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
If there were to be one I propose an optional switch for Smashers, whether they want to use the touch screen as their interface and maybe the DPad for other functions, or using the traditional buttons only. Either way it would certainly be awkward, although the online could certainly become superior over Brawl's online game...

There's already a Mic anyway, and headsets are sold, so voice chat is easily implementable. I could see this happening, but don't count on it anytime soon :(

SKnickers03

Smash Journeyman
if it ever happened i predict several painful thumb blisters (without the analog stick) in the future

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I lol'd at Smashing in the bathroom.

But on topic, as long as it can handle the Smash series' speed, I'd play it.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
Keep Smash on consoles only. There is already a "Smash" for DS, and it is called Jump Ultimate Stars.
or Jump Super Stars, the first one ; )
anyways, not only would having smash on ds be kind of hard to play and awkward, if you think of it normally, the characters would be quite small since the view zooms in/out depending on how far they are. Also thinking of the DS's capabilities its self, it would have a hard time, and probably lag A LOT. probably it won't have 30+ characters, as that will already make the game size quite big since it will most likely be in 3D(despite DS's 3D capabilities). It might be a good game if its created, but I think it will be just like a side project, not an official hit.
Ken

Darkurai

Smash Master
Keep Smash on consoles only. There is already a "Smash" for DS, and it is called Jump Ultimate Stars.
But see, I'm 15 years old. Thus, my parents control me. They're not going to import a game from Japan.

What do I do now?

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Buy it online. It was $50 when it was first released, including shipping (meaning the cost of a regular game). And the DS is region-free.

But if your parents don't let you buy things online, then I suggest slapping them with logic and telling them to get with the times.

twiblets

Smash Cadet
yeah cool idea. tbh the touch screen wd probably only be used for some crappy tacked on minigames tho.
Ness and Lucas' recovery wd be so hard!(bad news 4 me lol)

gorgon.

Smash Ace
I don't like this idea at all. Sure, it'd be cool to have a portable Smash, but then again, the DS is unsuitable for a franchise like Smash. Controls with the D-pad wouldn't be great, and the graphics wouldn't be that amazing. I wouldn't want to have to control this tiny, detail-lacking character on a small screen.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
JUS is a much, much different game than SSB is. They may look similar, and they may both be platform fighters, but beyond that, they play almost nothing alike.

I don't like this idea at all. Sure, it'd be cool to have a portable Smash, but then again, the DS is unsuitable for a franchise like Smash. Controls with the D-pad wouldn't be great, and the graphics wouldn't be that amazing. I wouldn't want to have to control this tiny, detail-lacking character on a small screen.
The touch screen w/thumb tab can easily be used as an alternative for an analog stick, like what SM64DS did. (even so, I never really had a problem with d-pads, even with brawl. The only real problem is how the sideways wiimote feels all together.)
and Graphics can be amazing on the DS. Just look at chosoju mecha MG, or SM64DS. Problem is, most developers just aren't trying when it comes to graphics on the DS. (hell, even the wii suffers from this. Just compare something like Monster Hunter 3 or SMG to, well, anything else.)

Bud

Smash Journeyman
The buttons would be just like the wii mote sideways, also the DS can handle smash; Just imagine Mortal Kombat DS crossed with Zelda DS, it would work and the DS has potential.

iLike2EatPiez

Smash Rookie
It could happen, but I seriously doubt it would be anywhere near as great as console-Smash. Maybe there could be like, what, fifteen characters (which would cut out everyone but the main Nintendo stars who "need" to be in Smash, leaving us with Mario, Pikachu, and a few others besides), bad graphics, and if you think Brawl's playstyle was dumbed-down, you'd probably hate to see this. Personally, I'd enjoy it just for the purpose of playing Smash on the go, but it wouldn't even come close to being the Smash Bros. we all know and love.

tirkaro

Smash Champion
It could happen, but I seriously doubt it would be anywhere near as great as console-Smash. Maybe there could be like, what, fifteen characters (which would cut out everyone but the main Nintendo stars who "need" to be in Smash, leaving us with Mario, Pikachu, and a few others besides), bad graphics, and if you think Brawl's playstyle was dumbed-down, you'd probably hate to see this. Personally, I'd enjoy it just for the purpose of playing Smash on the go, but it wouldn't even come close to being the Smash Bros. we all know and love.
15 characters?

JUS has 52 or so characters, which is even more than brawl.
(Yes, I know JUS is a 2d fighter and whatnot, but jesus, the DS can handle much more than 15 3d characters)

WarxePB

Smash Ace
I can imagine SSBDS as either being a remake of Smash 64, or a 2D game with a Havok-based engine (though I'm not sure if/how Havok handles 2D). Most likely the former, though.

The roster would be between 64 and Melee's size, probably about 17-20. It would be a smart marketing idea to add a new character specifically for the DS version (like Isaac), along with the Original 12, Marth and Sonic. Stages would be drawn from all three series, with a few new ones thrown in.

GOOD online play is a must. I imagine that a portable Smash would focus the most on multiplayer (local wireless and online) with only a minimal single-player (classic mode, BtT/BtP/RttF, a few events). Online play would come in three flavors: Basic (unranked, 2 min/random stage/all items), Ranked (ranked, but otherwise the same as Basic) and Friends (uses FCs, all options can be set). At the very least, a ranking system to match players to similarly-ranked players is needed, though I don't think a leaderboard is too much to ask for.

I don't know if it would work on the DS, but if they made a true Game Boy successor with the power of the DS, Smash would be a perfect fit (and awesome launch title) for it.

Fatalized

Smash Apprentice
a remake of smash 64 would be co0l...but i think that Nintendo is gunn wait for the New Portable to come out..Just to piss us off.

Im thinking the next Nintendo Portable would have Psp capablities and functions. We would be able to have music, watch vidz, go on net(without a card), view pictures, and maybe even homebrew function. I would like it to be called: Nintendo Rev. Or Project 8. or something like that. I noe the Wii wuz suppose to be called Nintendo Revolution. But what happend? They should name their next console or Portable that.

PCHU

Smash Lord
Revolution was a cool name.
Well, Wii is just kind of freaky.

Anyways, I think that it's a great idea.
Who cares about a tiny screen?
Focus on it for a while.
Just like a big screen, I swear.
And as for characters, I heard that the DS is capable of much.
Doesn't look like it with the loads of crap they're bringing in now.
If the DS can handle more, prove it, because I would love Smash DS.
They could include the dropped Melee characters!
That would attract veterans.
And if it had physics that weren't as slow as Brawl, but not as fast as Melee, that would be perfect.
Awkward, but perfect.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I think that would be a good idea. Have Y be your jump and then have x as your tilts with a as your smashes. Both x and a will be jab combos if no direction is inputed. I think 20-25 characters is a decent amount. Of course they need to have the originals in it. I think it would be interesting if in the DS game they would bring back Roy and Mewtwo. Maybe have Sonic and Snake if the companies continue to show interest in having someone in the smash series. Then the rest could be like new characters. I think it should have a good mix of melee and 64, maybe a 1-3 from brawl, and some new ones would be great also.

I think the 1 player modes should be Adventure, Classic, and All star or maybe just Classic and All star. Bring back board the platforms and race to the finish. Make new events maybe like 25 for single player and 10 for 2 player. Homerun contest would be nice.

Of course a decent wifi with mic option would be quite nice.

genki

Smash Rookie
(Yes, I know JUS is a 2d fighter and whatnot, but jesus, the DS can handle much more than 15 3d characters)
If you know that then you should also know that DS's only have up to 128mb of memory on the carts. That being said we all know Nintendo would try to make it 3d which would be gay cause the DS does sprites beautifully (JUS and C:pOR are just a few) and not to mention the touch screen bull**** that they would try to implement. So do we really want a 3D DS smash? I personally would welcome a 2D translation.

WarxePB

Smash Ace
2D would be awesome, because then we would have an absolute crapload of "official" sprites for making sprite comics or Flash games or what have you. But 3D models can be manipulated much easier, and they're cheaper to make too, so I doubt that the Smash series will ever be 2D.

So how about a roster? Assuming we have 20 characters... (brackets indicate alt costumes)

-Mario (Dr. Mario), DK, Link (Toon Link), Samus, Yoshi, Kirby, Fox (Falco), Pikachu (Pichu), Luigi, Capt. Falcon (Ganondorf), Ness (Lucas), Jiggs
-Marth (Roy), Mewtwo (Lucario), Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch
-Olimar, Pit, Sonic
-Isaac

That sounds like a perfect roster for a portable game, especially considering the number of alt costumes.

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Truth.

Anybody that doesn't think Smash work work on the DS obviously hasn't played JUS.
well i've played JUS for a while now and i'm still not
convinced that nitendo can pull of a sucessful smash
on a portable. they might be able to make a fun smash but
expect a slower game. on second thought it would be an
intresting surprise if it was 2D rather than 3D(2D to keep a safe frame rate).anyways i
would purchase a copy but still not play it as much as brawl.
One thing i would definitely hope for is a better wifi which may
be possible (connectivity) cause for some reason my wii has
problems connecting to wifi sometimes but when i try my ds
immediately after it works fine. Lastly, if anyone has played
ultimate Mortal kombat you can connect to people in 10 seconds
flat. might be a bit off topic but i wish smash ds would be like that :)

Exia 00

Smash Champion
I think it'd be awesome as long as they don't force you to use the touch screen in any shape way or form.
it would be sort of cool
to use it as a mini game
to determine the strength
of your final smash. sort of how
Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja
Taisen! EX uses the wiimote .
this way it wont completely
change the way smash is played.
also, when i think of final smashes
it seems like a cool idea that is hear
to stay but when i add nintendo to the
equation im convinced that final smashes will
change in terms of how they work. nintendo is
unpredictable but when you look at the facts
there is always something added that revolutionizes
within each generation.
(64-MELEE ; air dodge,chargesmash and
forward-B ,MELEE-Brawl ; the final smash)
that is my opinion and is basicly what i think will happen.
since it is on a hand held the revolutionary addition will be
watered down like much like the game will be (compared to
melee and brawl)

xMiMix

Smash Apprentice
Canada, Ontario. I have a really good connection,
Somehow, I think that if there is a next smash coming out any time soon, it will be for a hand held.
I'd play SSB64 on the DS if I could lol, its always fun.
At the same time I'd want something like this, but also don't because well, it would give me 2 games to be want to be good at, and I can only be good at 1. :(

hectichobo

Smash Ace
They could just rerelease super smash bros. 64 on it like they did with super mario 64. they could just add a few characters from melee and brawl and like 2 new ones. I can see that happening. I honestly wouldn't buy it though. I have never been able to jump with up on a control stick let-alone a d-pad. running is very dificult with a d-pad also which could cause some problems.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
it would be sort of cool
to use it as a mini game
to determine the strength
of your final smash. sort of how
Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja
Taisen! EX uses the wiimote .
this way it wont completely
change the way smash is played.
also, when i think of final smashes
it seems like a cool idea that is hear
to stay but when i add nintendo to the
equation im convinced that final smashes will
change in terms of how they work. nintendo is
unpredictable but when you look at the facts
there is always something added that revolutionizes
within each generation.
(64-MELEE ; air dodge,chargesmash and
forward-B ,MELEE-Brawl ; the final smash)
that is my opinion and is basicly what i think will happen.
since it is on a hand held the revolutionary addition will be
watered down like much like the game will be (compared to
melee and brawl)
Is there a reason
you hit enter after
every few words
and make your post
really hard to read?

SSB64 might work as a port, to be honest, but yes, JUS is awesome.

Iraku

Smash Cadet
The way I see it, SSB is a console-only series. The DS can only improve what we got on the N64, and there is no chance that it would have more characters or stages than Melee. Another issue is the camera: it pans out while you fight. Even though there's not too many the size of the Temple stage, even the simple and small stages would give you a hard time with seeing your character. Trophies wouldn't be as good quality neither, and probably couldn't even be from GCN or Wii games, and stickers aren't as interesting.

The controls are another problem. I'm not sure if we even found a way to do up-tilts with the Wiimote setup, and it is the least popular of the four it seems. Touch screen? You're moving constantly, running back and forth, and jumping when fighting. The touch screen would probably be covered in scratches by the time you finish playing after a month XD While putting places for the buttons on the touch screen instead of using actual buttons, like the setup for Metroid Prime Hunters, ask yourself this: Why? You have four buttons already, as well as L and R.

What would we get out of having a portable SSB game other than it being portable? SSBM brought us trophies, All-Star and Adventure modes, Event Mode, and Multi-Man Melee. SSBB brought us a load of music, stage builder, SSE, stickers, improved screenshot mode, and 3 minute replays. What can we get on the DS other than something between SSB and SSBM? What new concepts that aren't mini games could they come up with? If they couldn't come up with new concepts for SSBB using the Wiimote or Wiimote and Nunchuck, what could they do with a touch screen?

Exia 00

Smash Champion
Is there a reason
you hit enter after
every few words
and make your post
really hard to read?

SSB64 might work as a port, to be honest, but yes, JUS is awesome.
there is no spacific reason why i
hit enter i just dont like looking
at post that drag on forever so
i thought i was doing a favor.
anyways, i hope that they dont
just make smash 64 on ds cause
straight up i dont want to play
a half @$$ed game.

Top Bottom