• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SS team

mood4food77

Smash Hero
I've made a new team and it's pretty decent, I just need a better lead and it'll be a fairly good team. Well, here we go:

Azelf @ Choice Specs
Levitate / Timid
Psycho Shock
Grass Knot
Thunderbolt
U-turn

He's an anti-lead to give this team some offensive power. He works well but he just doesn't seem to fight that nicely on this team. He feels, more or less, out of place. I'm going to try other leads and see how they work but for now, this is what I've got.

Synergy:
Bug: Doryuuzu, Burungeru, Skarmory
Ghost: Tyranitar, Doryuuzu, Skarmory
Dark: Tyranitar, Doryuuzu, Skarmory

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sand Stream / Quiet
252 HP / 60 Atk / 176 SpA / 20 Spe
Substitute
Focus Punch
Dark Pulse
Flamethrower

Your standard Tyraniboah. He works pretty well I must say. Substitute can scout and he has great coverage with his three moves and this set can let him defeat a weakened Doryuuzu. And obviously, a SS team needs either Hippowdon or Tyranitar so I went with the more offensive choice of the two. He works great and has awesome team synergy.

Synergy:
Water: Burungeru
Grass: Skarmory
Fighting: Azelf, Burungeru
Ground: Azelf, Doryuuzu (until it gets hit), Skarmory
Bug: Doryuuzu, Burungeru, Skarmory
Steel: Doryuuzu, Burungeru, Skarmory

Doryuuzu @ Balloon
Sand Throw / Adamant
252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Sword Dance
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor

What's a SS team without this guy? He seriously ***** everything after 1 SD. Couple that with Sand Throw and SS, he's a monster, pretty much OHKOing everything in the metagame. X-Scissor is there so Bronzong doesn't wall him completely, but since 'zong is rare, I might just put Rapid Spin there to get rid of enemy hazards. So far, he's been an awesome asset to my team.

Synergy:
Fire: Tyranitar, Burungeru, Garchomp
Water: Burungeru
Fighting: Azelf, Burungeru
Ground (after it gets hit): Azelf, Skarmory

Burungeru @ Leftovers
Water Absorb / Bold
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Boiling Water
Shadow Ball
Recover
Toxic

His type synergy was the main reason why this guy was chosen. Resisting fire, fighting, and water attacks made him the obvious choice for being one of my defensive Pokemon. He can spread status and take hits. His huge life stat allows him to take more hits than something like Tentacruel. He also functions as my spin blocker (but I'll get into that a little later). Great type synergy and great team member.

Synergy:
Electric: Doryuuzu, Garchomp
Grass: Skarmory
Ghost: Tyranitar, Doryuuzu, Skarmory
Dark: Tyranitar, Doryuuzu, Skarmory

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Sand Veil / Jolly
252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Sword Dance
Earthquake
Outrage
Crunch

What's a SS team wi.....yea, I said that before already. He's bulky as hell and has awesome neutral coverage with just two moves. Crunch is there, again, to stop Bronzong from walling this team completely. He does seem a bit redundant on the team with Doryuuzu already being there but they're both too good to not use. And they also bring together a Dragon/Steel core. Him being my dragon type grants him resistances to fire and electric but he is also one of my rock resists. With two incredibly powerful sweepers on the team, one has a hard type stopping the offensive power.

Synergy:
Ice: Burungeru
Dragon: Doryuuzu, Skarmory

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Sturdy / Careful
252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Roost
Spikes
Stealth Rock
Whirlwind

And finally, no attack Skarmory rounds out this team. He comes in on a physical sweeper who can't deal much damage to him, deploys entry hazards, then Whirlwinds away. He also makes up the other half of my defensive core but more on the physical side of things. This really helps with the amount of switches that Doryuuzu and Garchomp force since it can deal a lot of damage over time. I honostly did not expect this to work out as well as it has for my team but he truly is a great compliment.

Synergy:
Fire: Tyranitar, Burungeru, Garchomp
Electric: Doryuuzu, Garchomp

As usual, thank you guys for your time and I'm willing to accept any criticism for this team.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i just realized it now, if a mod could kindly move this to the appropriate place, it would be great, thanks.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
If you want to test out something fun, try Scarf/Specs Shanderaa Lead. They can't switch, and with Specs, you can brutally murder Politoed leads with Energy Ball, Ninetales leads with Shadow Ball, Abomasnow leads with Flamethrower, and then some, just to name weather leads.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
and since i'm running a SS team, tyranitar and hippowdon actually make my job easier (while he can put a dent into them as well), i'll give it a shot

it's problem is though, it's just not that fast, at least azelf can outrun a lot of opposing leads and use u-turn before getting *****

lastly, i just won a 124 turn battle with this team having skarmory as my last poke, cycling through moves until he would struggle

it took a while but i was victorious

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Does Garchomp not learn a fire type move? Like Fire Fang or Fire Punch to hit all the pesky steels like bronzong and skarmory?

And why not try a Shuca Heatran as a lead? Or a Hippowdon?

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Chomp learns Fire Fang and Fire Blast. Fire Blast forces you to go mixed, which sucks, and Fire Fang is weak as balls, and Skarm walls it till the cows come home.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
What can natty do back to chomp? neutral power whip doesn't do that much with no investment, same for gyro ball.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I guess Natorrie could Curse until gyro ball did do some damage, but I doubt you want a 6/6 Garchomp in SS running around.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I was thinking more in terms of faking a Scarf, but okay. I know I said +2 Attack, but you can get the +2 on the first turn you see Nattorei. Assuming you haven't really been damaged, of course. Running Dragon Claw instead of Outrage could really fix this, but I don't advise it much. Whatever though.

Speaking of which, running Haban and only attempting to spam EQ (or run Stone Edge in the last slot and spam that as well) in the beginning could be a decent Ditto lure. Just a thought.

Also, lol you guys obviously haven't realized that the slight difference in base power for moves makes a MUCH bigger difference in damage than the slight difference in your actual stats. Nattorei's Gyro Ball is a 2HKO on Garchomp w/ a layer Spikes down. Even without Spikes there's a slight chance for a 2HKO.

Base 150 STAB Gyro Ball coming off base 94 Attack is nothing to scoff at, even if the one using it has no Attack investment.

I was mainly just looking at options for him. It's not like anyone can give him a real reason to use Crunch in the last slot anyway. Or can you?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it's really for lack of a better move

it was between crunch, stone edge, return, or fire fang

i could always run substitute

the main problem with this team is redundant type coverage, so i may have to remove garchomp/doryuuzu for something entirely different, but the combo of garchomp/doryuuzu is pretty much.....broken

mood4food77

Smash Hero
shandera is not a good lead in this metagame, it's just not fast enough nor bulky enough to do the right thing

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Personally I found Terakion to be an AMAZING sandstorm player. It has the best STAB I have ever seen and with Berungeru baiting in Dark type attacks, Terakion can come in on it take very low dmg and get a 50% boost on its atk at the same time. Fight Rock STAB is soooo good and he has Swords Dance and X scissor. Thats what I use on mine.

Stone Edge
Close Combat
Swords Dance
X scissor

He has wonderful speed (108) and 125ish atk IIRC.
I'd take a look into him instead of Dory. I have more success with him.

Moozle

Smash Champion
The Terakion suggestion seems pretty decent. Sp. Def boost from sandstorm is very underrated, too.

If you're still looking for a good lead, try out standard lead Metagross with lum berry. It takes care of most common leads very well, with its two biggest problems being Hippowdon (which helps your team with SS) and Nattorei (Which your Tyranitar can take care of, I think). Try it out if Azelf isn't doing it for you. Also, he has great survivability and will help you later on with threats like Breloom, who seem to be a pretty big problem for your team.

Metagross@Lum Berry
Clear Body / Adamant
252 Hp / 252 Attack / 4 Def
~Stealth Rock
~Meteor Mash
~Bullet Punch
~Earthquake

Moozle

Smash Champion
Well you're trading a win against Machamp, Smeargle, Roserade, plus greater utility later on in the game for a win against Ninetales and Shanderaa. If you're playing with team viewer thing, you might just have to take a risk and not go for meteor mash first, or just put in tyranitar.

Edit: In reality you're probably right just because Shanderaa is everywhere. I'm just stubborn and have been saved a ton of times by Lum Berry.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
azelf's good, don't get me wrong, it's just out of place, i'll try occa berry leadgross

i'll try terakion

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Well you're trading a win against Machamp, Smeargle, Roserade, plus greater utility later on in the game for a win against Ninetales and Shanderaa.
Nobody really uses the first three as leads anymore, and Smeargle and Roserade were rare anyway.

Occa Berry Metagross will survive any fire attack except Specs Shandera Overheat when at full HP. It actually has a much harder time against Baloon Shandera than Choice Shandera, and even then two Bullet Punches leave a sizeable dent.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i like occa berry metagross as my lead

also, terakion is good, just doryuuzu is better, the lack of speed from terakion really kills it

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I think RP Terakion on a balloon is a counter to Dorryuuzu. Switch in, Rock Polish, then CC the **** thing.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
WHat if Dory is carrying Brick Break instead of X-Scissor to counter other Dory?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
dory's typing allows it to be about as bulky as terakion and it's naturally stronger, while boasting 550+ speed already in the sand, it doesn't need a turn to get its speed when it can be used to get a boost in power

i could give brick break a try since dory's should be running balloon

i might switch ttar for hippowdon, it loses a fighting weakness while still giving me SS, and it helps with roopushin, and it also can give me metagross to be used as a sweeper (or i could run both ttar and hippo to get a nice defensive core using garchomp and dory as sweepers)

but seriously, this team isn't good, it's really boring to use, all it needs is sand to let garchomp and doryuuzu sweep with ease

Gates

Banned via Warnings
If you're going with Hippowdon, use Stockpile Hippo. He's pretty frustrating for most people to deal with and he survives a ton of stuff he shouldn't thanks to SpD boosts.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
Terakion is good, but Dory is better.

I just like Terakion better because he can sweep without sand and tbh it still has REALLY good speed. 108 is nothing to laugh at. Gengar, Starmie, Jolteon is about all I can think of that would really pose a threat via outspeeding. Jolteon cant OHKO Terakion due to SpDef boost. Gengar must rely on Focus Blast to OHKO and Starmie can OHKO with surf(I think).

But yeah, Dory is better.

What is your opinion on Skarmory-Burengeru? Tbolt hits both hard but Buru can take it so it is essentially Natt-Buru. Do you prefer it over Buru and Natt?

Can that Buru take Pursuits from 252 atk Ttar? Or a crunch?

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i've never used buru and natt but buru and skarm is pretty good

buru is great due to it's typing, it has great synergy with my team, this is a very good defensive core

the only problem is electric attacks, buru can take them but they still hurt, which is why having a ground/lightening rod/motor drive/volt absorb poke on the team is essential when running both (which leaves you with many options) to complete the core

hmmm...this could let me make a new team that doesn't abuse broken stuff (like this one)

Gates

Banned via Warnings
How exactly does Seaking beat Starmie aside from not taking damage from any of his attacks?

nvm forgot it got Megahorn.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it learns megahorn, resists both ice and water attacks while being immune to electric attacks

i mean come on

Seaking @ Life Orb
Lightening Rod / Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 6 SpD
Agility
Waterfall
Megahorn
Body Slam/Poison Jab/Return

which reminds me, how the hell does seaking use poison jab?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I like how people forget Lanturn.

Absorbs Thunderbolt, resists Water/Ice

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
But Lantern has better stats, a better movepool, STAB on the move to kill Starmie, a 100% accurate move to kill Starmie, and has potential use outside of killing Starmie.

Of which Seaking doesn't have.

Top Bottom