• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Squirtle Tactical Discussion

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i don't play PO miles but i've been thinking about it. i was hard into 3rd gen and didn't touch 4th. idk about 5th. i'll look into it once this semester's over and i can chillaxxxxxxxxxxx

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
I'm pretty hyped bout 5th gen, but i'm more of a "creative original stragedy nerd" so I look at it sorta different then the super competitive players, but it should be fun anyhow. btw, I still hate the majority of the 5th gen designs.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
that post was supposed to be an inside joke only steeler would understand

(A CORNUCOPIA OF PHYSICAL SWEEPERS)

also how do i fall off the edge of the stage after grab releasing my opponent from a hydrograb, i wanna footstool dudes but i have no idea how to do it

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Are you guys asking how to fall down together with your opponent? if so, you need to be sliding to the edge and must maintain sliding and when your opponent releasses at that point you both will fall down.

Buuda

Smash Apprentice
2) I know I'm a little late on the gimping Snake discussion, but I've done this a lot, and it works:
*You have to do this at the opening of the match. In other words, Snake has to be @ 0% when you start*
Option One:
1) F-throw>F-throw (second one will have to throw him off the edge, so start close to it.)
2) Snake will fall slightly below the ledge; he's too heavy and doesn't get knocked upwards too much by the second F-throw. This means he has to jump or Cypher (Snake won't Cypher since he's basically under the stage).
3) After (and if) Snake jumps, poke him. Jab him once, and that will cause him to fall. He now no longer has his second jump, and must rely on his Cypher only.
4) Be a jerk and aerial him repeatedly further away from the stage as he tries to use his cypher.
5) Use Water Gun when he tries to recover with C4. This will make him miss.

Option Two:

1)F-throw>F-throw (Again, close to the edge so that he's off by the second one)
2)If the Snake does Cypher to try to get back on (which he shouldn't, and is an idiot for doing so if he does), grab release him, and then Water Gun when he tries to use his C4.
3) Win.

I'm not the only player here who's done this, right? It's pretty good.
Uhh... so I wasn't being rhetorical. Lol. Let's get back on the tactical part of the SSBB Squirtle discussion. XD

So am I the only person who does this? Does anyone else have any kind of input?

T-block

B2B TST
It's nothing new that getting Snake just off the edge at low percents can be very rewarding... What you listed can be very effective. If you do catch him with a jab on his double jump, chances are very high that you'll take the stock, as he either up-b's towards you and gets grabbed, or up-b's away and gets his C4 recovery Water Gun'd. Snake can jump and immediately air dodge back onto the stage though, which jab won't cover.

Tesh

Smash Hero
true true, at least jab 1 ends fast enough to turn around and regrab bthrow. But you won't have the same positional advantage.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
But, not all moves interrupt his cypher right? I don't know much about snake, but it seems it doesn't even stagger with certain attacks while cyphering.

Tesh

Smash Hero
An attack has to do more than 7 percent damage, knockback doesn't matter. So fresh Razor leaf will break it. Miltihit moves and squirtle's ftilt won't break it and whatnot.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yes, he can fly through tornado as well. Squirtle's aerials won't break cypher once you fatigue and stale. Which is a very annoying part of this matchup for me. At a certain point you can't even push him off stage with aerials any more.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Hmm, this just raced into my mind and because I'm at internship I can't test it out right now but... when squirtle is charging a hydroplane fsmash, dsmash and usmash can we still get hit by Falco's lasers or is the ducking animation to low for them to hit us?

CoonTail

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure that charging up-smash should manage to evade the lasers but the charged of d-smash and f-smash all leave squirtle pretty close to standing height, so I dont think anything besides up-smash will get squirtle close enough to his ducking animation for the lasers to miss him.

T-block

B2B TST
Chill, Miles.

Almost every character suffers 30 frames when released. DK only suffers 20, while Ness and Lucas suffer 40.

Almost every character also suffers 30 frames when releasing an opponent. Squirtle only suffers 29, while Bowser only suffers 10.

Top Bottom