• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Mewtwo's on the new tierlist. In TOP TIER!
Knew I should've checked the front page.

Heh, I am a filthy tier ***** now. M2 and Diddy.

backstory: ZeRo was my favorite back at the beginning, and is one of my favorites now, but I picked up Diddy and stuck with Diddy because of him. When M2 was released I had to play him. My bros had already snatched the top tiers, and I was looking for a new character, thus, M2. Two months later, Metalex, Raykz and I were furthering the M2 meta as far as we could.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Hmm. I would swap Mario and Cloud's placements (simply due to Cloud's lack of tournament results and poor non-limit-charged recovery options,) but otherwise I have no beef.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Hmm. I would swap Mario and Cloud's placements (simply due to Cloud's lack of tournament results and poor non-limit-charged recovery options,) but otherwise I have no beef.

Some people in the competitive thread are calling foul as Cloud simply doesn't have many dedicated mains, just people who pocket him and don't try to learn new stuff with him

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Some people in the competitive thread are calling foul as Cloud simply doesn't have many dedicated mains, just people who pocket him and don't try to learn new stuff with him
Eh, I'm just voicing my opinion, as that's all these really are. I had to learn the hard way how to not care about other people who will hate you for using a good character.
On that note, does maining Cloud and Mewtwo mean I too am a tier-*****?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'd be a tier ***** too if I actually cared to focus on mine. Currently have Mewtwo, Cloud and Mario as my 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively but I focus more on Robin and especially Roy lately.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
Regardless, the back half of Mario's downsmash shouldn't kill him at 90% from the center of FD...

That's the last time I complain about it, I swear.

Sonicninja115

Regardless, the back half of Mario's downsmash shouldn't kill him at 90% from the center of FD...

That's the last time I complain about it, I swear.
I personally try to not get hit.

Also, remember that M2 often lives longer then most for 1 reason. Recovery. His recovery completely outstrips others, lessening the downsides of being sent horizontally. Vertical KO moves still suck... For example, M2 can often live longer then Bowser simply because it is super hard to gimp M2 and M2 has a farther reaching recovery.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I personally try to not get hit.

Also, remember that M2 often lives longer then most for 1 reason. Recovery. His recovery completely outstrips others, lessening the downsides of being sent horizontally. Vertical KO moves still suck... For example, M2 can often live longer then Bowser simply because it is super hard to gimp M2 and M2 has a farther reaching recovery.
Very true. I'm just a bit salty about losing a close match, no worries ^_^

Sonicninja115

Very true. I'm just a bit salty about losing a close match, no worries ^_^
No worries. I just started Smash with Sm4sh, and my older brother played Melee before. So, his off the bat mains were Shiek, Fox and R.O.B. This against my M2.... Salt flowed.... Of course I 3 stocked low percented his fox the other day and haven't lost a match against him with my mains in a couple of months. (We don't play much, college and stuff.)

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Interesting. Though I feel Samus is a bit too low, she saw a fair improvement not just because of the patch but mostly because of dedicated Samus mains who brought out her true potential over a year after the game came out. Samus is the one who fits better the label of underrated out of all the characters in the roster (maybe Link as well).

Btw, it's official! Mewtwo is pay2win!! Disgusting!

/jk

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
When I saw the updated tiers, I really felt the Cloud was given too much credit. I know that his offense can be strong, but having a poor recovery without Limit Break is a serious weakness that can easily be exploited.

At least Diddy Kong's Rocketbarrel Boost gives him horizontal momentum, even if his recovery isn't that great overall.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
When I saw the updated tiers, I really felt the Cloud was given too much credit. I know that his offense can be strong, but having a poor recovery without Limit Break is a serious weakness that can easily be exploited.

At least Diddy Kong's Rocketbarrel Boost gives him horizontal momentum, even if his recovery isn't that great overall.
Yeah, apparently a lot of people are crying foul in the competitive discussion thread.

Sonicninja115

M2K mispaced twice, got JV3'd. It is still a pretty good recover as long as you space it with the instant ledge snap or from below.

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
It really isn't as serious or common as you make it sound.

I'm positive its wrong though.
I'm not sure I understand what you're implying. I'm just saying quite a few unbiased folks are citing his placement as one of their few qualms with the whole list. As am i.
M2K mispaced twice, got JV3'd. It is still a pretty good recover as long as you space it with the instant ledge snap or from below.
Still super predictable and easy to gimp.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I still remember that one video where Captain Falcon did a clean sweep against Cloud by taking advantage of Cloud's poor recovery; he KO'd Cloud twice without losing a single life.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh boy, I stopped getting notifs here again. It's always this thread for some reason. Smashboards really does want me to drop Mewtwo.

On the topic of Cloud, I feel like his limited recovery is covered by his plethora of strengths. He doesn't have to worry about approaching, he's fast and powerful, he juggles and even kills with his ridiculous up air, and so many of his moves take no commitment. I swear, every time it looks like I can punish something I actually can't. Even if he didn't have Limit mechanics, he'd still have a spot in the high tier, but I feel like that's enough to put him in the top tier.

Sure, Cloud has a weakness, but every character has weaknesses. What makes a character top tier is when their weaknesses are vastly outweighed by their strengths. Look at Shiek, for instance. She really struggles to get kills sometimes, yet she remains at the top even despite her nerfs. And as awesome as Mewtwo is, I feel his weight does hold him back a little bit more than Cloud is held back by his recovery.

But maybe I guess that's because I don't use Cloud. It's hard to reliably judge all of a character's strengths and weaknesses without using them often. I really ought to buy that DLC just for that one of these days.

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
This is old news, but the Kalos League just ended and the climax they've been building up with Team Flare and Zygarde just begun.

Ash made it to the finals... but lost. Which is a damn shame. I thought that after 20 years they would throw the kid a bone for once and let him win a league, but I guess not. I'll be honest, I'm dissapointed with this development but not really mad like the rest of the internet is about this. I still think that after Greninja lost twice to Alain's Charizard they should have allowed him to emerge victorious this time around. Heck, in their final exchange Ash-Greninja even made out a ginormous Water Shuriken which seemed to be something pulled out of DBZ or Naruto yet it still fell to Charizard's Blast Burn. Oh well. Even if I don't agree with this move from the writers, I have to commend them because for the first time in years since I was kid, I actually CARED about watching a Pokemon season. They gave Ash proper development and maturity as a high level pokemon trainer after BW made him act like an idiot, with two worthwhile rivals in Alain and Sawyer whom he had a good dynamic with. They even gave him a proper fully-evolved team to compete in the major leagues (Don't know about you guys, but bringing in your unevolved Totodile to compete in the Pokemon League is just stupid).
Right after the league ended, Team Flare triggered Z2 into forming a red Zygarde which seems to be threatening the whole city. Let's see what happens from here on.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
But maybe I guess that's because I don't use Cloud. It's hard to reliably judge all of a character's strengths and weaknesses without using them often. I really ought to buy that DLC just for that one of these days.
Something something walk a mile in another man's shoes.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
While I don't care that much about tier lists when choosing my own characters, I would lying if I said that seeing Mewtwo up there doesn't please me.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's bitter sweet.

I felt special maining an underdog, but it was also frustrating seeing so many people underrated him and justifying it by saying things that just aren't true. I've literally seen someone call him a giant Jigglypuff with no air game. That takes a special kind of ignorant. Overall it's for the better, but I still feel like saying I'm a Mewtwo main doesn't mean as much to people as it did before. It's hard to be super proud of maining a character everyone agrees is good.

But hey, I've still got Charizard. The lizard will probably never be top tier.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I do not choose my mains based on tiers. I choose them based on if I like them as a character or if I like playing as them.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm pretty much in the same boat. Didn't consider myself a Mewtwo main when he was first released but I enjoyed playing as him before he was recognized as a top tier. Quite nice that he's top tier too since it makes him a reliable secondary for if my Robin or Roy have a bad mu (looking at you :4sheik:). This is actually the first Smash game where I enjoy using a top tier, 3 of them in fact :4mewtwo::4cloud::4mario:. Best I had in Brawl was :pikachu2: who was only high tier and I don't play Melee regularly but the last time I dabbled in it, I tried the top 8 and didn't mind :falconmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee:.

Top Bottom