• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

D

Deleted member

What imbalance? Do you seriously still think bayo is OP?
I am referring to how the game as a whole isn't balanced, and how you were trying to justify all of her (clearly) dominating traits to make her seem balanced. Bayonetta isn't Metaknight level, but you definitely won't be seeing Jigglypuff reliably beat her any time soon.

Hopefully, you can't tell me with a straight face that you believe this game to be perfectly balanced. If that were the case, then everyone would be S-Tier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I am referring to how the game as a whole isn't balanced, and how you were trying to justify all of her (clearly) dominating traits to make her seem balanced. Bayonetta isn't Metaknight level, but you definitely won't be seeing Jigglypuff reliably beat her any time soon.

Hopefully, you can't tell me with a straight face that you believe this game to be perfectly balanced. If that were the case, then everyone would be S-Tier.
Kid. No game is perfectly balanced. Nobody's claiming that. And if a game WAS perfectly balanced, you'd still have your low and mid tier characters, as there WILL be a character who's better than the rest, Now, if you tried to actually, y'know EXPLAIN why you think Bayonetta is OP, you'd be taken at LEAST 20x more seriously instead of 'lol ur in dineyeal'. Even then, why Jigglypuff of all characters? She's one of the worst characters in the game because of her framedata, weight and generally bad moves

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
And if a game WAS perfectly balanced, you'd still have your low and mid tier characters, as there WILL be a character who's better than the rest
^This. No matter how much you try to balance a roster, there will always be characters that are just straight up better than others. Welcome to competitive fighting games, ladies and gents.

My problem is that I hate the character and her inclusion in Smash so much that I'm immediately tilted when my opponent picks her.
This is me with Roy(And I know I'll get hate for that. Don't care. Never liked the character or the idea of him coming back), except when I see a Roy, I chuckle/laugh.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is me with Roy(And I know I'll get hate for that. Don't care. Never liked the character or the idea of him coming back), except when I see a Roy, I chuckle/laugh.
I used to think Roy was OP due to his speed and strength, but I think Mario counters him pretty well. Roy doesn't really have an answer to Mario's Up-Throw combos (yes, up-throw)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's funny how much harsher people can be on a DLC character they don't appreciate. I can only imagine the amount of rage Wii Fit Trainer would of stirred up if she was DLC.
That is, if you want to call a move that cant kill greninja off the side @140+ percent with rage a "kill throw."
Wait, it doesn't? That needs to be fixed.
Better nerf Gren- okay I'll stop.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
I can only imagine the amount of rage Wii Fit Trainer would of stirred up if she was DLC.
"OMG WTF THIS CHARACTER HAS TWO WAYS TO HEAL HERSELF?!?!"
Do you mean her neutralB? Or bullet arts (where you hold the attack button)?
Yes. ;)
What about it is "cowardly?"
The hit-and-run style of play always irritates me, regardless of the game or genre. She can try and bait with the bullets of her Nair to force a mistake, or she will go for a side-b and run if she whiffs.
Most of the time people get caught by this, it's because they got read or were too obvious with their attacks.
Just like any other counter, right? (/s) No, in this specific case, it was a very close match where I was trying to catch her with an up smash after landing an abbreviated d-throw combo. She activated her counter as she was falling into the move, so the second 'tick' of my attack gave her the "perfect timing" she needs to get the Witch Time to trigger. We were both high damage, so she had plenty of time to saunter over, land a few jabs and fully charge her up-smash.
What tilted me is that when she triggers it, there is no counterplay; and that frustrates me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
"OMG WTF THIS CHARACTER HAS TWO WAYS TO HEAL HERSELF?!?!"

Yes. ;)

The hit-and-run style of play always irritates me, regardless of the game or genre. She can try and bait with the bullets of her Nair to force a mistake, or she will go for a side-b and run if she whiffs.

Just like any other counter, right? (/s) No, in this specific case, it was a very close match where I was trying to catch her with an up smash after landing an abbreviated d-throw combo. She activated her counter as she was falling into the move, so the second 'tick' of my attack gave her the "perfect timing" she needs to get the Witch Time to trigger. We were both high damage, so she had plenty of time to saunter over, land a few jabs and fully charge her up-smash.
What tilted me is that when she triggers it, there is no counterplay; and that frustrates me.
You said yes to a multiple choice where both options were yes...
if she spams Bullet Art Nair, you should use an anti airAlso, you need to look at Bayonetta's feet when she does side B, look if bullets are coming out or not. By doing this, you can see what version she's using. And it isn't safe on shield!
Witch Time is something you need to be careful about, yes, but I have 2 tips! Try baiting it when charging a smash attack or something, and also try to intercept her rather laggy moves. Also keep in mind Witch Time only works on Mega Man's lemons, other than that, every projectile is useable and won't trigger your slowdown

D

Deleted member

It's funny how much harsher people can be on a DLC character they don't appreciate. I can only imagine the amount of rage Wii Fit Trainer would of stirred up if she was DLC
I don't get why people hate Wii Fit Trainer so much. You could say she's irrelevant, but so are the Ice Climbers and yet people love them. I think people should give Wii Fit a chance. Her hitboxes make her one of the most unique and diverse fighters in the game, and the hatred she gets is unjustified.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
You said yes to a multiple choice where both options were yes...
if she spams Bullet Art Nair, you should use an anti airAlso, you need to look at Bayonetta's feet when she does side B, look if bullets are coming out or not. By doing this, you can see what version she's using. And it isn't safe on shield!
Witch Time is something you need to be careful about, yes, but I have 2 tips! Try baiting it when charging a smash attack or something, and also try to intercept her rather laggy moves. Also keep in mind Witch Time only works on Mega Man's lemons, other than that, every projectile is useable and won't trigger your slowdown
Actually, all projectiles can trigger Witch Time, but only when you use it right next to the character throwing the projectile. That why it works on Lemons but not a Metal Blade
It probably wouldn't work on lemons at max distance

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Please no Bayonetta or balance of smash circle discussions. If you want to discuss it, go to the CCI thread.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

What ever happened to the Social?
The socials aren't the place to discuss heated competitive topics such as Bayonetta and the balance of Sm4sh unless it pertains to Mewtwo. The CCI thread or the Bayonetta boards are a good place to discuss her. And Balance discussion is okay as long as it pertains to Mewtwo in some ways. Talking about those topics in a social is like talking about politics at a dinner party. It may be fun for a bit, but eventually it is going to blow up.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The socials aren't the place to discuss heated competitive topics such as Bayonetta and the balance of Sm4sh unless it pertains to Mewtwo. The CCI thread or the Bayonetta boards are a good place to discuss her. And Balance discussion is okay as long as it pertains to Mewtwo in some ways. Talking about those topics in a social is like talking about politics at a dinner party. It may be fun for a bit, but eventually it is going to blow up.
I still remember the stuff that I've had to cope with during my moderator days at the Rosalina sub-forum.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I still remember the stuff that I've had to cope with during my moderator days at the Rosalina sub-forum.
I didn't see everything that went on in the original thread thankfully, but I feel for you.

It's a shame so many things have to stay private. I had to restrain myself from yelling at the people taking jabs at the situation. :laugh:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I didn't see everything that went on in the original thread thankfully, but I feel for you.

It's a shame so many things have to stay private. I had to restrain myself from yelling at the people taking jabs at the situation. :laugh:
Yeah the issues took a toll on my moderator position before I was even ready to announce my resignation from the position. But what's done is done, and we all pretty much need to move on.

D

Deleted member

I knew you were a mod at some point. I thought that your icon glitched and didn't load the iconic red ribbon, but it seems as though you simply retired. I don't see what's so hard about modding though, it seems that you get more freedom, and, if you need to vent, just give somebody a Warning, but *Kermit*.

Do moderators still get warnings?
Yeah the issues took a toll on my moderator position before I was even ready to announce my resignation from the position. But what's done is done, and we all pretty much need to move on.
Well, us Users will embrace you with open arms :)

Sonicninja115

I knew you were a mod at some point. I thought that your icon glitched and didn't load the iconic red ribbon, but it seems as though you simply retired. I don't see what's so hard about modding though, it seems that you get more freedom, and, if you need to vent, just give somebody a Warning, but *Kermit*.

Well, us Users will embrace you with open arms :)
Quite contrary. As a mod, you are held to higher standard and must keep all the rules. And frivolous warnings could lead to being de-modded.

>Metα<

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiMario793
3DS FC
4124-5762-8357
Is it possible for a member who has only been around for a few days to become a moderator?

Or do you need to have accumulated a certain amount of time on the boards?

D

Deleted member

Is it possible for a member who has only been around for a few days to become a moderator?

Looks at join date*
That's clever, dude, *applause*

Welcome to Smashboards, >Meta<, I hope that you enjoy your time here :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Like with what Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 said, being a moderator is a huge responsibility, and not something to take lightly. You're expected to handle every kind of offense that pops up, and if you can't do that, then it's only a matter of time before that status gets revoked.

Requirements to be a moderator are not set in stone. You'd have to be a positive influence toward others, and avoid receiving any warnings, and even then, you're still not guaranteed to receive the moderator position. Only when the administrators call you will you have an opportunity, but it's not something to take lightly. I actually rejected a moderator position opportunity at one point, as it was for a forum that rarely sees any kind of activity.

D

Deleted member

Mods don't get enough respect.
Love you guys.
I think people are just salty because they got points. I sure know I was.

Legit tho, as much as I hate rackin' up dem' points, I know that if it weren't for mods and admins, this place would be nothing more than an HD 4chan, so, for that, I applaud you.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I wanted to be a moderator shortly after joining, too.

Unfortunately, the magic of the game and of this site left me. Now I've had a few infractions over time and I'm much less of a positive influence than I once was or would like to be.

I wish I could get that back. I hate being unfriendly with people when I have no reason to be. :/

/rant

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wanted to be a moderator shortly after joining, too.

Unfortunately, the magic of the game and of this site left me. Now I've had a few infractions over time and I'm much less of a positive influence than I once was or would like to be.

I wish I could get that back. I hate being unfriendly with people when I have no reason to be. :/

/rant
To be honest, I'm not even sure why I joined in the first place, and at a certain point I was looking for ways to terminate my account, but, after realizing that there's no practical way to do it (outside of asking an admin or hacking), I just stopped caring and settled in. Now, provided, I wouldn't really want to delete my account now (though It could have some benefits), I still understand the whole "loss of interest" aspect of things. Also, these forums can really be dead sometimes. Brawl Workshop is practically desolate, and reasonably so. Smashboards isn't very supportive of content creators. They do, however, have an astonishing layout for the surface-level material, such as neat and flashy subsections for the Smash 4 Characters, and the sticky threads (which are quite dead for having such "significance"). Overall, Smashboards is an advanced thread, but it's still lacking in many aspects. Though, at least it's not as bad as FSmash.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Except for Admin shenanigans, mods can't infract other mods. Instead they get called out in the Staff forum to be made fun of.

Quite contrary. As a mod, you are held to higher standard and must keep all the rules. And frivolous warnings could lead to being de-modded.
Granted we are still allowed to have heated arguments and call people out, but we do have to keep things from being mindless flaming. It's rather amazing how many users like playing the "mod" card to try and re-enforce their opinions.

Ironically when I do argue with users they'll often state they've been wronged by mods before ("So how dare you argue with me! You're corrupt, I did nothing wrong." or "How dare you have a different opinion!") but refuse to use options such as Forum Support, Reporting, etc.

You act differently when at work than you do in your personal life, and a lot of users make the mistake of thinking that because of the red banner that we're at work all the time. Also a lot of users mistake us for a hivemind...

Mods don't get enough respect.
Love you guys.
To be frank I'm jealous of a lot of my coworkers as they're probably the nicest people I've met on the board or are great at being blunt/getting points across. There's so many people I'd like to buy Sandwiches for. :laugh:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm glad to hear that they carefully select mods. I know I'll never take on a mod position because it will be a big responsibility. A local Smash forum I used to frequent years ago had a crummy mod promoting process that more or less was like this: "Hey, I met this guy once, I liked him. I'm gonna give him a mod position". Terrible idea.
We ended with a guy who abused his power by deleting posts from users that had differing opinions, which weren't even inflammatory to begin with.
Most spanish speaking forums I've frequented are that bad and tend to die very quickly because the subject matter on most topics consist on pointless spam while the better-made threads get ignored very quickly and buried under a sea of nonsense, it's kind of a curse really, which is why I stick mainly to international, english speaking boards. Haven't tried any japanese boards though.
You know something else? Some people mock forums like this because they think people are too uptight and no fun is allowed, but that is honestly not true. It certainly enforces it's rules more so than say, GameFaqs, but that's why it is better. Rules help protect people from themselves and others, and that's why this place is more enjoyable. Try removing a stop light in the middle of a road intersection, all you'll get is cars crashing into one another. Some places on the internet are like that, figuratively speaking.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I know there was a post asking for no further discussion on Bayo but I can agree that she can be a pain. Just the thought of having something as simple as a jab being punished potentially with death is terrifying. And her neutral b is the worst when you're Ganon. I've yet to have the (mis)fortune of fighting a good Bayo. Would likely go M2 since his fthrow does good damage and his uthrow and bthrow kill plus Shadow Ball.

As for the mod talk, I've only ever frequented 1 other place that had forums and mods and such and I never went to the forums. Went to the chatrooms though and there were mods there too. Most of them were fine although 1 of them was suspicious of me being an alt since my cousin and I often had the same IP address since he'd come over a lot. Became friends -> crush -> best friends -> partners -> friends with another mod from that same site~. Has no relevance to her mod status at the time and actually...I'm pretty sure she's a mod on another site too @.@

I tend to treat mods like I do everyone else. The only difference with them is that they enforce rules which isn't a problem if you don't break them...I say in a post where the first thing I did was go against what a mod asked...anyways, I've yet to meet an 'awful mod'. Got no desire to be one though.

D

Deleted member

My problem isn't the points system mods have, but the circumstances accompanying them, in this case, two specific, but important things;

1. Lengthy Expiration Dates: 2 points can take 14 days to expire, which means that if you get 3 warnings, you will effectively be banned for 2 weeks, and if you get 2 warnings, you have to be perfect for 2 weeks, or receive a 2+ Week ban. I think bans should last a week, at most, unless the content is bad to the point of being criminal (like p0rn, dea+h threats, etc.), I can understand longer (or even permanent) bans for those, but getting banned [for 2 weeks] for saying "this game sucks" is really immature on the mods' part for not being able to properly deal with the immature person through actually (at least attempting) to reason with them or have them elaborate on their statement, and instead washing their hands of it by using the points system.

2. Permanent Points: I saved this for last because by the properties of Presentation Priority (working name), the last thing is typically the one that leaves the lasting impression.
I don't think that there's inheritely a problem with permanent points, my problem is with how they're given; 12 Points > !6 months = Permanent Point, in other words, by getting 12 points (take in mind minor warnings are 2, and to get banned you need 6) in under 6 months, you get a point which can never disappear unless someone (presumably an admin) removes them for whatever reason. I think that this is a ridiculous system and doesn't really help to improve the community, but rather, wash it's hands of any immediate problems and impediments that get in it's way. It's also important to note that 6 perma points = Indefinitely Banned. Personally, I think this should only be reserved for criminal activity or otherwise extremely inappropriate activity. I think criminals should get permanently banned, and people talking about having sex or forcing someone else to (outside of subforums designed for it) should get 2 or 3 permanent points, however, simply giving them out due to some trivial circumstance being met in a specific timeframe isn't a way to deal with the problems these are targeted towards. Believe it or not, giving out permanent points doesn't help to reduce trolling. It just unsettles them for a moment and they resume what they were doing. I think that the permanent point system is flawed, as an algorithm can't properly ascertain whether or not the individual is truly a troll.

I know that after I post this, all of you will ignore it (14 users, 2 guests) and wait for someone to "break the mold" so they can all jump back in as though this post never existed (like you did last post of mine), but I thought I'd get it out there for those who are willing to listen.

Sonicninja115

My problem isn't the points system mods have, but the circumstances accompanying them, in this case, two specific, but important things;

1. Lengthy Expiration Dates: 2 points can take 14 days to expire, which means that if you get 3 warnings, you will effectively be banned for 2 weeks, and if you get 2 warnings, you have to be perfect for 2 weeks, or receive a 2+ Week ban. I think bans should last a week, at most, unless the content is bad to the point of being criminal (like p0rn, dea+h threats, etc.), I can understand longer (or even permanent) bans for those, but getting banned [for 2 weeks] for saying "this game sucks" is really immature on the mods' part for not being able to properly deal with the immature person through actually (at least attempting) to reason with them or have them elaborate on their statement, and instead washing their hands of it by using the points system.

2. Permanent Points: I saved this for last because by the properties of Presentation Priority (working name), the last thing is typically the one that leaves the lasting impression.
I don't think that there's inheritely a problem with permanent points, my problem is with how they're given; 12 Points > !6 months = Permanent Point, in other words, by getting 12 points (take in mind minor warnings are 2, and to get banned you need 6) in under 6 months, you get a point which can never disappear unless someone (presumably an admin) removes them for whatever reason. I think that this is a ridiculous system and doesn't really help to improve the community, but rather, wash it's hands of any immediate problems and impediments that get in it's way. It's also important to note that 6 perma points = Indefinitely Banned. Personally, I think this should only be reserved for criminal activity or otherwise extremely inappropriate activity. I think criminals should get permanently banned, and people talking about having sex or forcing someone else to (outside of subforums designed for it) should get 2 or 3 permanent points, however, simply giving them out due to some trivial circumstance being met in a specific timeframe isn't a way to deal with the problems these are targeted towards. Believe it or not, giving out permanent points doesn't help to reduce trolling. It just unsettles them for a moment and they resume what they were doing. I think that the permanent point system is flawed, as an algorithm can't properly ascertain whether or not the individual is truly a troll.

I know that after I post this, all of you will ignore it (14 users, 2 guests) and wait for someone to "break the mold" so they can all jump back in as though this post never existed (like you did last post of mine), but I thought I'd get it out there for those who are willing to listen.
You were infracted (Point 1) because of Spam and Trolling. The moderator was nice and decided not to award you an points apparently. However, the mod warned you because your post lacked no substance, went against common knowledge, and derailed the discussion. It neatly falls under trolling and spamming.

Permanent points are a warning to stop excessively breaking the rules. Though a redemption system would be nice. No points awarded in a 4 month period or something.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
....I completely support the system.

If someone is immature enough to go to another game and say "this game sucks" then I certainly wouldn't want to waste time reasoning with that person. If I were in charge I would do what the mods already do and give a warning (infraction point) and call it a day. It's what it should be, a minor slap on the wrist.

If you are so rebellious (or careless, unintelligent, foolish, etc.) that you can't handle TWO WEEKS without getting infracted then you shouldn't be allowed on the site. Why should they shorten the time? To let trouble makers take advantage of the system and only ignore the rules twice every week? Sounds like you might as well say "**** it, we're 4chan now!"

Permanant points I will also back 100%. If you do something criminal or even just unacceptable then you should be dealt with as such.

Criminals offline are not allowed to erase their pasts once out of prison. People on this site shouldn't be able to say and do whatever they like and get off scott free either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You were infracted (Point 1) because of Spam and Trolling. The moderator was nice and decided not to award you an points apparently. However, the mod warned you because your post lacked no substance, went against common knowledge, and derailed the discussion. It neatly falls under trolling and spamming.

Permanent points are a warning to stop excessively breaking the rules. Though a redemption system would be nice. No points awarded in a 4 month period or something.
That's a funny way of wording it; I never thought SmashPoints were an "award", however, there have been people who were either perma-banned or claimed to have permanent points that mysteriously disappeared, now whether they were lying, an admin did it, or was the work of hackers, I don't know. But they do disappear sometimes, just likely not when you want them to, and, if so, probably wasn't done specifically for your benefit.
....I completely support the system.

If someone is immature enough to go to another game and say "this game sucks" then I certainly wouldn't want to waste time reasoning with that person. If I were in charge I would do what the mods already do and give a warning (infraction point) and call it a day. It's what it should be, a minor slap on the wrist.

If you are so rebellious (or careless, unintelligent, foolish, etc.) that you can't handle TWO WEEKS without getting infracted then you shouldn't be allowed on the site. Why should they shorten the time? To let trouble makers take advantage of the system and only ignore the rules twice every week? Sounds like you might as well say "**** it, we're 4chan now!"

Permanant points I will also back 100%. If you do something criminal or even just unacceptable then you should be dealt with as such.

Criminals offline are not allowed to erase their pasts once out of prison. People on this site shouldn't be able to say and do whatever they like and get off scott free either.
I agree with you on the criminals (I thought I made that clear), my problem is handing out permanent points based on the frequency of an act, vs the severity of one. If I say "i'm going to find you and assassinate ya'", I deserve to get banned (and probably a call from the police), however, if i simply say "Cloud is OP plz nerf", that should, under no circumstances, lead to a nigh-irreversible point. Maybe if this were Highschool Early 2000's Facebook Cyberbullying I could understand the strictness of these bans, however, noone's saying "kill urself dude", anymore, and if they are, then ban em'. But some things just don't warrant indefinite bans.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
That's a funny way of wording it; I never thought SmashPoints were an "award", however, there have been people who were either perma-banned or claimed to have permanent points that mysteriously disappeared, now whether they were lying, an admin did it, or was the work of hackers, I don't know. But they do disappear sometimes, just likely not when you want them to, and, if so, probably wasn't done specifically for your benefit.

I agree with you on the criminals (I thought I made that clear), my problem is handing out permanent points based on the frequency of an act, vs the severity of one. If I say "i'm going to find you and assassinate ya'", I deserve to get banned (and probably a call from the police), however, if i simply say "Cloud is OP plz nerf", that should, under no circumstances, lead to a nigh-irreversible point. Maybe if this were Highschool Early 2000's Facebook Cyberbullying I could understand the strictness of these bans, however, noone's saying "kill urself dude", anymore, and if they are, then ban em'. But some things just don't warrant indefinite bans.
I still disagree. If you continously break a rule over an extended period of time then why shouldn't the mods become harsher? If it comes to the point that they know you are going to do it again then they should make a harsher punishment.

The infraction system isn't meant to be "Ok, I can break the rules twice every two weeks without getting banned." Infractions go away in the first place to give people the chance to knock it off and become a decent member of the community. It gives people the benefit of the doubt.

Mods don't want you to break the rules (this should be obvious), if you continue to break the rules over and over then the obvious answer is a harsher punishment to make you stop.

D

Deleted member

I still disagree. If you continously break a rule over an extended period of time then why shouldn't the mods become harsher? If it comes to the point that they know you are going to do it again then they should make a harsher punishment.

The infraction system isn't meant to be "Ok, I can break the rules twice every two weeks without getting banned." Infractions go away in the first place to give people the chance to knock it off and become a decent member of the community. It gives people the benefit of the doubt.

Mods don't want you to break the rules (this should be obvious), if you continue to break the rules over and over then the obvious answer is a harsher punishment to make you stop.
You bring up interesting points. I may disagree, but I respect your argument, and I think that you handled the conversation quite maturely. It was nice having this discussion with you, however, I can sense the inevitable Flamer coming, so, I'll try to keep this conversation to a minimum.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think that the length of the expiration points is fine the way it is. If someone constantly receives warnings and infractions, then the problem isn't the system itself but the attitude of person in question. If I have several points allotted to my account, then there is a good reason behind it and it wouldn't be reasonable for me to complain about it's length when I'm the one constantly at fault.

D

Deleted member

I think that the length of the expiration points is fine the way it is. If someone constantly receives warnings and infractions, then the problem isn't the system itself but the attitude of person in question. If I have several points allotted to my account, then there is a good reason behind it and it wouldn't be reasonable for me to complain about it's length when I'm the one constantly at fault.
That's underestimating the power of isolation, though. Being unable to do anything but watch for 2 weeks is quite demoralizing, especially if you work all day and use Smashboards as a place to relax. Ban Time shouldn't be a set value, it should instead be determined by the weight of the offense. Saying "this game is bad", should be 1 point, 5 hours at most (with values increasing as offenses continue), whereas something like "meet me at the alley, let's settle this" should be more points and time, such as 5 points, 24 days. In the first scenario, the warning simply let's people know "Hey, you can have an opinion, but be respectful and elaborate, don't just clutter up the thread, now you know.", whereas in the other one it's "We don't do that here, go fight in another forum but we don't tolerate that". In a hypothetical situation where I'm going to get 2 points, 24 days anyways, why not max out and go out with a bang? Not saying it's right, but that's what runs through people's heads. Almost like if you were to go to jail for stealing anything (rather than community service, or other legal punishments) In the case that I was going to steal a Toaster, might as well take the Wide-Screen TV now too since there's no turning back (again, I wouldn't do this, but that's the mindset it breeds). But maybe it's my fault; I always tend to overthink things and try to make them as "grand" as possible. Maybe mods and admins simply don't have time to meticulously alter the warning points/time ratio, so they just copy/paste the same formula for convenience's sake. It's not bad, but it could be better.

Top Bottom