• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Browny

Smash Hater
Props for Abadango for reaching Nationals. He's talented, but the match was boring. And by that I mean really boring. I had to stop halfway. Both were playing it super safe and it was just the same moves over and over. I understand they had to do what they had to d. Its for $$$ and fame
Always remember, it takes 2 to tango. Abadango is 50% to blame for that and ally/marss are 50% as well in their matches.

ZSS playing lame to counter a lame Mewtwo strategy, who plays lamer to counter the lame ZSS strategy is a loop that never gets better unless both players admit they are causing it.

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
I don't usually get so emotional -- but I'm so happy about this. I remember being a young boy and begging my parents for a gamecube because Mewtwo, my favorite pokemon, was in Melee. I remember getting the game, playing mewtwo for ages, and eventually getting into the competitive scene when I was a bit older. I remember how heartbroken I was when I finally realized how bad Mewtwo was. I kept playing him anyway, but it always bothered me... it just seemed wrong for such a cool character to suck so much.

Then he was excluded from Brawl, and the pain deepened.

When Mewtwo was announced as DLC for Smash 4, I was ecstatic again. And when I picked him up, I was disappointed again. Then came the 1.1.3 buffs and I knew something had changed -- I believed he was good even though most people (outside of this board) didn't... but I'd never have the skill to prove it myself. Who knows how long it'd be before people stopped sleeping on Mewtwo? Then Pound 2016 happened.

I feel last weekend a great, decade-long injustice was corrected. Mewtwo is finally, after all these years, right where he belongs, thanks to another legend in his own right -- Abadango.

I'll regain my composure later... for now, unadulterated joy is the only fitting response.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Guys, let's not go all elitist on Mewtwo-newbies, okay?
Most of you used to hope for M2 to receive mmore love & attention.
Doesn't matter if they aren't as "dedicated" as those who started maining him back when he was released, they're coming to the Mewtwo boards for help, and not to get snuffed at.

-a bit late, but congrats to Abadango! : )

I don't usually get so emotional -- but I'm so happy about this. I remember being a young boy and begging my parents for a gamecube because Mewtwo, my favorite pokemon, was in Melee. I remember getting the game, playing mewtwo for ages, and eventually getting into the competitive scene when I was a bit older. I remember how heartbroken I was when I finally realized how bad Mewtwo was. I kept playing him anyway, but it always bothered me... it just seemed wrong for such a cool character to suck so much.

Then he was excluded from Brawl, and the pain deepened.

When the DLC was announced for Smash 4 was ecstatic again. And when I picked him up, I was disappointed again. Then came the 1.1.3 buffs and I knew something had changed -- I believed he was good even though most people (outside of this board) didn't... but I'd never have the skill to prove it myself. Who knows how long it'd be before people stopped sleeping on Mewtwo? Then Pound 2016 happened.

I feel last weekend a great, decade-long injustice was corrected. Mewtwo is finally, after all these years, right where he belongs, thanks to another legend in his own right -- Abadango.

I'll regain my composure later... for now, unadulterated joy is the only fitting response.
Same here. It's been quite the emotional rollercoaster with Mewtwo.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
A long legacy ends today... RIP my corrupted Omega Ruby save file

Let's review... Two Rayquazas, Two Dialgas, Two Xerneas, Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, All Three Genies, Mega Freaking Diancie, ALL of my best competitive mons, and ALL of my legacy mons from my original childhood Emerald run. Obliterated.

My current decent Pokemon ownings- Shelgon, Braixen, Mega Venusaur, Emolga, and Jirachi in my recently restarted Pokemon X. (all of my past roster was ported into omegaruby as well)
I don't really see how one could end up corrupting his/her game data if he/she follows all the saving guidelines. Anyway, sorry about your loss.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Mewtwo doesn't need nerfs but I wouldn't be opposed to a sliiight movement speed decrease. There's not really any real reason that he needs to be that fast.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mewtwo doesn't need nerfs but I wouldn't be opposed to a sliiight movement speed decrease. There's not really any real reason that he needs to be that fast.
Mewtwo's speed increase does more reference its base speed in the Pokemon RPGs, where it outruns all the other playable Pokemon in the game. However, Greninja still runs faster than Mewtwo, despite having a lower base speed in the RPGs.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Well, he does have an impressive Speed stat of 130, so it'd make sense for him to be the speedster he is now.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Mewtwo's speed increase does more reference its base speed in the Pokemon RPGs, where it outruns all the other playable Pokemon in the game. However, Greninja still runs faster than Mewtwo, despite having a lower base speed in the RPGs.
Well, he does have an impressive Speed stat of 130, so it'd make sense for him to be the speedster he is now.
OK you guys are serious bringing in the facts

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Or maybe to characters who actually need it. Zelda, Ganondorf, Dedede, Dr. Mario etc
Honestly? If they just made Doc's fireball good (FAF of 43 PLEASE) he wouldn't need the running speed. It's why I'm kind of wary on making him move faster (Luigi speed) in some ways, because with Luigi run speed Doc USmash would go from already stupid to beyond stupid. All Ganon needs is his old Nair which was way better tbh (better in neutral where it matters) and like, better grab/grab reward at least. Mobility is kind of a lazy way to fix a character in these instances I think, it fits on Mewtwo because of his weight and attributes but in Ganon's case it'd feel slapped on and redundant. Zelda could use it a lil and D3 I have no idea.

I think Mewtwo's fine as is. He's literally Akuma, low health and all. I'm aware he only dies if you hit him but that's always been Akuma's thing in SF. Very strong character with the ability to avoid getting hit but when he does get hit it sucks.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
no see akuma is actually hittable :secretkpop:
Depends, honestly. SF4 Akuma had a vortex and the character is usually high/top tier because of his strong offensive potential and options. Rare instances he's not (SFA2 because Ryu was STUPID IN THIS GAME LOL, so was Ken. Akuma was mid tier in SFA2 somehow) it's usually for reasons outside of his control or in the case of USF4 the removal of consistent oki and the vortex though it still didn't do much to hamper him.

:secretkpop:

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
It's because of his recent slight movement speed increase that Mewtwo just now became capable of winning major tournaments. Take that away from him and he might be back to mid tier (his impressive movement speed is just enough for him to take on chararacters like ZSS and Bayonetta). Also, let's not forget how light Mewtwo still is. The only reasonable nerf may be done to his down-tilts. But I'm not in favor of nerfing Mewtwo unless all the other top tier characters get nerfed as well.

Last edited:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm talking about the throw itself does 13
Except even that is wrong, uthrow does 12. Unless you mean fthrow, in which case people SDI the projectiles (I do as Bowser anyway) so it does less than that.

Depends, honestly. SF4 Akuma had a vortex and the character is usually high/top tier because of his strong offensive potential and options. Rare instances he's not (SFA2 because Ryu was STUPID IN THIS GAME LOL, so was Ken. Akuma was mid tier in SFA2 somehow) it's usually for reasons outside of his control or in the case of USF4 the removal of consistent oki and the vortex though it still didn't do much to hamper him.

:secretkpop:
stop

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
It's because of his recent slight movement speed increase
IN WHAT WORLD IS 1.4 -> 2.05 RUNNING SPEED, 1.1 -> 1.25 AIR SPEED, AND WHATEVER HIS WALK SPEED WAS INCREASED BY A SLIGHT MOVEMENT SPEED INCREASE LOL

His running speed alone was increased by almost 47%!!

I refuse to halt.

(PS Why'd you change the stat graphics on your site back to the old bars? I kind of liked the more metallic/techno look to it, just wondering)
something broke when I did my april fools joke, but I fixed it

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
IN WHAT WORLD IS 1.4 -> 2.05 RUNNING SPEED, 1.1 -> 1.25 AIR SPEED, AND WHATEVER HIS WALK SPEED WAS INCREASED BY A SLIGHT MOVEMENT SPEED INCREASE LOL

He could be referring to 1.9 > 2.05 actually. In which case I don't think going from 1.9 > 2.05 really did much outside of how long it takes to clear a full stage (burst-mobility wise he feels similar to 1.1.3 which was the first run speed increase IIRC).

Honestly they could undo the 0.15 increase to his runspeed but just leave in the actual big buff that 1.1.5 gave him, which is the Nair hitbox buff (Nair is a vastly better move than it was like, 2 patches ago and even then Nair was really good because 13f landing lag).

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
Both had to play it safe
Always remember, it takes 2 to tango. Abadango is 50% to blame for that and ally/marss are 50% as well in their matches.

ZSS playing lame to counter a lame Mewtwo strategy, who plays lamer to counter the lame ZSS strategy is a loop that never gets better unless both players admit they are causing it.
Which is what I said. Both were playing it safe.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
He could be referring to 1.9 > 2.05 actually. In which case I don't think going from 1.9 > 2.05 really did much outside of how long it takes to clear a full stage (burst-mobility wise he feels similar to 1.1.3 which was the first run speed increase IIRC).

Honestly they could undo the 0.15 increase to his runspeed but just leave in the actual big buff that 1.1.5 gave him, which is the Nair hitbox buff (Nair is a vastly better move than it was like, 2 patches ago and even then Nair was really good because 13f landing lag).
Nair is probably still his worst airial

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman

something broke when I did my april fools joke, but I fixed it
Whether the movement increase was slight or not slight is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.

Also I never thought I'd be defending Mewtwo from accusations of him being too powerful. What a time to be alive!

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Whether the movement increase was slight or not slight is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.

Also I never thought I'd be defending Mewtwo from accusations of him being too powerful. What a time to be alive!
Exactly he doesn't deserve a nerf what so ever he just got good let ous enjoy it for a little

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Both had to play it safe

Which is what I said. Both were playing it safe.
The whole problem with Smash 4 is that it rewards playing it safe more so than audaciousness. ZeRo made his career out of playing it safe.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome

no it's not irrelevant you dolt, if you give ganondorf sonic's ground speed and yoshi's air speed you're going to have problems with balance

literally never said he was too powerful, i just said he didn't need to be that fast

Oh ok, that explains a lot. I also noticed you added Cloud's limit mobility stuff, thank you <3~

It's as dumb as I thought it'd be.
check it in a few seconds :O (i'll post on ur profile)

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
no it's not irrelevant you dolt, if you give ganondorf sonic's ground speed and yoshi's air speed you're going to have problems with balance

literally never said he was too powerful, i just said he didn't need to be that fast

check it in a few seconds :O (i'll post on ur profile)
I was illustrating that the speed he currently has is justified in order to take on other top tiers. However much the speed increased since the last patch really was irrelevant to my point.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I still think pretty much all the top tiers still destroy him
Possibly. Too soon to tell at this point. His match up against ZSS and Bayonetta seem unfavorable IMO. However, he might go even with Sheik now. His run at Pound would certainly indicate that Mewtwo's a top tier, but people are forgetting just how good Abadango is. He has made Pac Man and Wario look like top tiers in the past. Had ZeRo attended Pound he would have shown that Mewtwo is not op in the slightest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom