• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Possibly. Too soon to tell at this point. His match up against ZSS and Bayonetta seem unfavorable IMO. People are forgetting how good Abadango is. He has made Pac Man and Wario look like top tiers in the past. Had ZeRo attended Pound he would have shown that Mewtwo is not op in the slightest.
Why didn't Zero go to pound?

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Mewtwo doesn't get stomped by the top tiers like you would think.

:4sheik: is either even or slightly in M2s favour since her kill options are so limited now. This is one of our few MUs where living past 150% is actually possible and Mewtwo with high rage is a rare but terrifying beast. Her reduced weight only makes it easier for her to die from U-throw, F-air or any other kill move M2 has. Sure her frame data is far superior to ours and needles can still force our approach but her lack of kill options is a major weakness that Mewtwo can punish.

:4cloud: is also even or slightly in our favour. Mewtwo gets a free charged Shadow Ball if Cloud decided to charge limit and I feel that SB is very dangerous in this MU as it can punish Cloud both on and off the stage. speaking of off stage, Cloud without limit is pretty bad at recovering, we all know this, but Mewtwo especially can massacre him when he's trying to get back. The Mew² vs M2K match is a decent example of this although it could be argued M2K had no idea what he was up against. Browny made a good post about this MU a while back but sadly I can't find it.

:4bayonetta:is bad for most characters but Mewtwo doesn't get curb stomped. I've only ever seen this MU at a high level once so it's difficult for me to say how good or bad it actually is but Abadango was able to take two sets over one of Japan's better Bayos so I'm willing to say it can't be much worse than -1

:rosalina:is Another even MU as Mewtwo can efficiently get rid of Luma thanks to F-air's crazy knockback. Rosa is barely heavier than Mewtwo so she'll fall victim to U-throw earlier than almost anyone else and her tall frame makes her easier to combo. If Luma is around then M2's approach will be much harder and he'll die very early if he doesn't respect it. He also has to be wary of her U-air as it kills very early and exploits Mewtwo's poor landing.

:4diddy:Doable but in Diddy's favour as his neutral is so deadly and banana confirms kill quite early. Surprisingly I haven't seen this MU much but I'm confident Diddy edges Mewtwo out.

:4zss: has always been bad but it's more manageable now than it ever has been. Her neutral and combos are difficult to overcome but the nerfs mean we'll get a few more chances to get hits in. Probably only -1 now as opposed to the -2 it used to be.

Honestly Mewtwo's MU spread against top tier is the main reason I thought he was top 20 before Pound. his worst MU's come from high and mid tier.

Possibly. Too soon to tell at this point. His match up against ZSS and Bayonetta seem unfavorable IMO. However, he might go even with Sheik now. His run at Pound would certainly indicate that Mewtwo's a top tier, but people are forgetting just how good Abadango is. He has made Pac Man and Wario look like top tiers in the past. Had ZeRo attended Pound he would have shown that Mewtwo is not op in the slightest.
You have to remember that those results are irrelevant now as Apex 2015 was only a few months after the Wii U version came out so people weren't sure on certain MUs like :4pacman:in such a new metagame and EVO used Custom rules which have been abandoned by the community.

Last edited:
3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Mewtwo doesn't get stomped by the top tiers like you would think.

:4sheik: is either even or slightly in M2s favour since her kill options are so limited now. This is one of our few MUs where living past 150% is actually possible and Mewtwo with high rage is a rare but terrifying beast. Her reduced weight only makes it easier for her to die from U-throw, F-air or any other kill move M2 has. Sure her frame data is far superior to ours and needles can still force our approach but her lack of kill options is a major weakness that Mewtwo can punish.

:4cloud: is also even or slightly in our favour. Mewtwo gets a free charged Shadow Ball if Cloud decided to charge limit and I feel that SB is very dangerous in this MU as it can punish Cloud both on and off the stage. speaking of off stage, Cloud without limit is pretty bad at recovering, we all know this, but Mewtwo especially can massacre him when he's trying to get back. The Mew² vs M2K match is a decent example of this although it could be argued M2K had no idea what he was up against. Browny made a good post about this MU a while back but sadly I can't find it.

:4bayonetta:is bad for most characters but Mewtwo doesn't get curb stomped. I've only ever seen this MU at a high level once so it's difficult for me to say how good or bad it actually is but Abadango was able to take two sets over one of Japan's better Bayos so I'm willing to say it can't be much worse than -1

:rosalina:is Another even MU as Mewtwo can efficiently get rid of Luma thanks to F-air's crazy knockback. Rosa is barely heavier than Mewtwo so she'll fall victim to U-throw earlier than almost anyone else and her tall frame makes her easier to combo. If Luma is around then M2's approach will be much harder and he'll die very early if he doesn't it. He also has to be wary of her U-air as it kills very early and exploits Mewtwo's poor landing.

:4diddy:Doable but in Diddy's favour as his neutral is so deadly and banana confirms kill quite early. Surprisingly I haven't seen this MU much but I'm confident Diddy edges Mewtwo out.

:4zss: has always been bad but it's more manageable now than it ever has been. Her neutral and combos are difficult to overcome but the nerfs mean we'll get a few more chances to get hits in. Probably only -1 now as opposed to the -2 it used to be.

Honestly Mewtwo's MU spread against top tier is the main reason I thought he was top 20 before Pound. his worst MU's come from high and mid tier.

You have to remember that those results are irrelevant now as Apex 2015 was only a few months after the Wii U version came out so people weren't sure on certain MUs like :4pacman:in such a new metagame and EVO used Custom rules which have been abandoned by the community.
I might have to rethink my life lol

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Which ones do you think are his worst MU's? I could be wrong but Villager seems like a hard counter since his bairs and fairs seem too fast to reflect (unless you're going for reads) and he can pocket reflected lloid rockets as well as shadow balls.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
no it's not irrelevant you dolt, if you give ganondorf sonic's ground speed and yoshi's air speed you're going to have problems with balance

literally never said he was too powerful, i just said he didn't need to be that fast
Sometimes you have to wonder why some people tend to have issues with certain attribute changes. Imagine if Rosalina's air speed was set to 1.25 (tied with Mewtwo), that would definitely make her more mobile in the air, and help with her recovery as well. She'd still be slower in the air than Jigglypuff and Yoshi though, and the top 10 fastest walkers can still keep up without having to dash.

And of course, air speed buffs don't necessarily make a fighter's offense better, as Rosalina would still need the Luma by her side to get the best results with her aerial attacks.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Which ones do you think are his worst MU's? I could be wrong but Villager seems like a hard counter since his bairs and fairs seem too fast to reflect (unless you're going for reads) and he can pocket reflected lloid rockets as well as shadow balls.
I think we win it only slightly tho as we can get in his face and make him uncomfortable speeking of this why don't we have a matchup board

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
I think we win it only slightly tho as we can get in his face and make him uncomfortable speeking of this why don't we have a matchup board
You might be right since my opinion of that MU was based on pre-patch Mewtwo. I haven't seen what 1.1.5 Mewtwo can do against Villager yet.

Last edited:

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Had a long FG session today, got called a "TIER_WH0RE" at least 2 times by two different people after using :4mewtwo:.
And there's already people here talking about how they wouldn't mind Mewtwo receiving a speed nerf.
Times sure change.

Quantumpen

Smash Apprentice
There's still no need to nerf Mewtwo. I highly doubt he's actually top tier. He's good now but he'll always have some consistency problems owing to his weight and trouble with rush down due to his not quite good enough frame data. Top tiers rarely have "flaws by design" except in the most balanced of games.

Abadango is a ridiculous player with a ridiculous level of skill. He could've beaten the players he beat with quite a few characters, the thing that makes this great and exciting is how slept on Mewtwo was in the general community prior to Aba showing off his potential at pound. There is no way Mewtwo is gonna start taking every major.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
I played against a stupid good Villager a few weeks ago.

I'd say its in Villigers favor. Our reflector is too slow to deal with villigers projectiles effectively outside of a read. If we reflect projectiles like the lloyd (or the tree....) we give villager an even greater advantage. Our shadowball is a liability against villager outside of the baby ones but even they aren't useful.

All in all I'd say find a secondary for this one. It can get pretty brutal.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
I played against a stupid good Villager a few weeks ago.

I'd say its in Villigers favor. Our reflector is too slow to deal with villigers projectiles effectively outside of a read. If we reflect projectiles like the lloyd (or the tree....) we give villager an even greater advantage. Our shadowball is a liability against villager outside of the baby ones but even they aren't useful.

All in all I'd say find a secondary for this one. It can get pretty brutal.
Good info but I am probably just going to stick with M2 and just learn the matchup

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
Mewtwo goes even with Villager. Confusion, down tilt, his speed, his power, good recovery......

Villager hates a lot of our stuff. Murlough Murlough that Villager is probably just better than you. It's overall just a volatile matchup, but Mewtwo's anti-zoning game is among the best on the roster.

:150:

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Mewtwo goes even with Villager. Confusion, down tilt, his speed, his power, good recovery......

Villager hates a lot of our stuff. Murlough Murlough that Villager is probably just better than you. It's overall just a volatile matchup, but Mewtwo's anti-zoning game is among the best on the roster.

I switch to M2 for the Villlager matchup when my Luigi loses to one...definitely even imo

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Nice to see Mewtwo actually win a big tourney. He's come a long way from his Smash 4 release and miles from his Melee self.

Bask in the complaints about Mewtwo being OP.

BASK. IN. THEM.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
>Greninja's water powers are sponsored by Mewtwo's fans' tears
>Mewtwo joins the roster
>Whatever no more Greninja jokes but Mewtwo still sucks
>Guys
>GUYS WAIT
>OMG MEWTWO IS SO OP WHAT THE F*CK HE'S TOO FAST HE NEEDS A NERF

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746

He is but not by much. I'm probably playing too aggressively.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
His worst MUs imo are Metaknight, Fox and Falcon. MK can still get the ladder combo since Mewtwo is so big and floaty but it's not as bad as say, Rosa vs MK as Mewtwo can fend him off a little easier but it's still bad. Fox used to be near impossible to beat just like ZSS but Mewtwo's buffs have helped a lot. I'd still say it's his second worst MU as Fox is so good up close and has the speed that makes it difficult to keep him out. Falcon is in a very similar boat to Fox, difficult to keep out and kills super early but I think this MU is better than Fox because while Falcon can kill Mewtwo very early, he can get just as badly beaten if he messes up and lets Mewtwo exploit his poor disadvantage state. Falcon can be comboed better than almost any other character and his recovery is quite easy for Mewtwo to exploit.

This is just from I've seen and read mind you.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
His worst MUs imo are Metaknight, Fox and Falcon. MK can still get the ladder combo since Mewtwo is so big and floaty but it's not as bad as say, Rosa vs MK as Mewtwo can fend him off a little easier but it's still bad. Fox used to be near impossible to beat just like ZSS but Mewtwo's buffs have helped a lot. I'd still say it's his second worst MU as Fox is so good up close and has the speed that makes it difficult to keep him out. Falcon is in a very similar boat to Fox, difficult to keep out and kills super early but I think this MU is better than Fox because while Falcon can kill Mewtwo very early, he can get just as badly beaten if he messes up and lets Mewtwo exploit his poor disadvantage state. Falcon can be comboed better than almost any other character and his recovery is quite easy for Mewtwo to exploit.

This is just from I've seen and read mind you.
I don't think the ladder combo works on practically any character with good SDI well I don't know

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Really? I thought Mewtwo had always been considered floaty.

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Fair enough then. I've seen Metaknight talked about as Mewtwo's worst MU so I was for sure that was the reason. Guess I'll have to do more research.

3DS FC
2595-4014-1734
Fair enough then. I've seen Metaknight talked about as Mewtwo's worst MU so I was for sure that was the reason. Guess I'll have to do more research.
I'd say the matchup is 55:45 not in our favor just because we can out zone him pretty well this brings up the question again why don't we have a matchup thread

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
MK main's are starting to say that it's a losing matchup, apparently they can't stand shadow ball camping.

Top Bottom