• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Playing without customs is kinda dumb honestly
Well it is limiting character potential in the meta IMO.

If we applied the same kind of thing to Pokemon it would be like a Pokemon can only use moves it learns through breeding or naturally. No TM's/HM's allowed. Which would be idiotic.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Well it is limiting character potential in the meta IMO.

If we applied the same kind of thing to Pokemon it would be like a Pokemon can only use moves it learns through breeding or naturally. No TM's/HM's allowed. Which would be idiotic.
Not to mention if people whine about it being too much to remember, then you have to realize that if people can remember everything about a character outside of customs, it's basically 'I don't want to learn, weeh weeh'

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Not to mention if people whine about it being too much to remember, then you have to realize that if people can remember everything about a character outside of customs, it's basically 'I don't want to learn, weeh weeh'
Most problems for Smash seem to be DLC characters don't have any, and people don't want to farm custom moves.

And maybe some also don't want them because they would have to learn to to play against a character with a move that can completely change the matchup. Basically unwillingness to learn in a evolved meta. But if we get balance patches like with Charizard's changes shouldn't they be learning everything again anyway?

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
He's got mobilty, survivability, a kill throw, lots of super armour thus benefits hugely from rage.
Fun fact, I can survive MUCH longer with Mewtwo's featherweight than with Charizard's almost-nom-existent air jump and Up B (and Up B armor is a lie).
Char is also my favorite Pokémon overall and Mewtwo is my fourth.... but I can't get myself to have fun playing with Char while Mewtwo is a top 3 funniest character in the game for me.... maybe top two.
That is actually an interesting fun idea.... not something to be like, the main meta or something like that, but it would a fun different meta for a side tournament or something alike in my view.
How did they get screwed by this? Hell, Palutena has some of the better customs, especially Super Speed and Lightweight
I may be overrating her a little, but I think Palutena is top tier with those and Jump Glide.... she becomes the real speed demon of the game. Plus, a grab is a guaranteed Hoo Ha at any percentage with Lightweight.
But I don't want the characters to have varying movesets in the meta. I just, don't.
It's just a shame they didn't put those moves as Palutena's standards for some reason....
And before the "you don't want to learn it", give me a new Nintendo character for every custom move and I won't whine about it.
Give me more third party and I will.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Most problems for Smash seem to be DLC characters don't have any, and people don't want to farm custom moves.

And maybe some also don't want them because they would have to learn to to play against a character with a move that can completely change the matchup. Basically unwillingness to learn in a evolved meta. But if we get balance patches like with Charizard's changes shouldn't they be learning everything again anyway?
I hope that eventually the game will allow customs whenever. Customs aren't a bad idea, and five years from now, I expect that they will be common. There might be a few no custom tournaments, but hey! Also, shouldn't all the Mii Brawlers just decide on a balanced moveset,size and weight and then make that the tournament Standard? I think that is probably the best idea in regards to Mii's.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Hey all you fly mewtwo mains, I'm getting this game soon and I haven't played it yet but I want to main Mewtwo. Is he as cool as the kids on the street say he is?
He's better than most people would have you believe but he is not easy. Don't be discouraged by early failures, learn the best ways to use all of his moves and then you can start implementing his advanced movement options.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Miyamoto just announced that they are delaying Star Fox Zero till 2016, which is totally fine by me, take all the time you need to polish that gem, Mr. Miyamoto.

MVD

Smash Master
He doesn't really use Diddy 'all the time', ZeRo is a pretty tame "Diddy main" if he uses Sheik in 99% of his most important matches. And legends as M2K, Ally, Nairo and others have all dropped Diddy since Hoo-Hah didn't kill anymore. :rolleyes: The only REAL and 'true' Diddy main out there is probably MVD. And aside from ZeRo, nobody is really using Diddy as a secondary.

Now count all Sheik mains please. :smirk:
mah dood

Sonicninja115

Oi, I like the update. Things look a bit rough right now but it will probably smooth out pretty soon.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Chrom, Lucina and Fiora are set to appear in Project x Zone 2!

I hope we get more Nintendo characters; a Mario and Sonic pairing would be fantastic.

Also, as I expected, some dumbasses are already saying "DURR HURR PXZ2 could give Chrom a unique moveset and Sakurai couldn't DURR HURR".
Several things wrong with this, the biggest being the difference in moveset complexity between Smash and PXZ; in Smash they map several moves to different controller inputs whereas in PXZ pressing a button sends your characters into a frenzy of consecutive animations, it looks cool but it lacks the substance from actual fighting games.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Chrom, Lucina and Fiora are set to appear in Project x Zone 2!

I hope we get more Nintendo characters; a Mario and Sonic pairing would be fantastic.

Also, as I expected, some dumbasses are already saying "DURR HURR PXZ2 could give Chrom a unique moveset and Sakurai couldn't DURR HURR".
Several things wrong with this, the biggest being the difference in moveset complexity between Smash and PXZ; in Smash they map several moves to different controller inputs whereas in PXZ pressing a button sends your characters into a frenzy of consecutive animations, it looks cool but it lacks the substance from actual fighting games.
Sadly, the trailer made it clear that those characters were guests, ie not to expect much more in terms of Nintendo for the game. Not to mention the unspoken rule the series has of the characters needing to look like relatively realistic humans to be in.

That said me and @- Hsien-Ko - have been holding a conversation that's basically a wishlist of character pairings that I can invite you to if you're interested.

Gui JP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Twishine
3DS FC
0791-1410-6660
College takes time away from forums. -.-

Popping in here to say though that I attended my first Smash 4 Tournament today (which apparently Boss attends regularly. I did see the guy.)
Followed by another one (local) in the same day.

First one I lost but won three in losers before losing again (the losses being pretty clutch games.)

The second was after quite the long day, but I did make a pretty good run, nearing finals before I made a few mistakes involving getting hit by giant lasers (Halberd) and hitting the bottom of the stage on a recovery.

That being said, pretty hype!

C3CC

Smash Lord
Hello, fellow Mewtwo mains! I hope you're all doing good. I returned to this thread to seek your help.

See, my best friend mains Ike, while I main Mewtwo as you may already see. Sometimes, when I'm fighting my friend (e_e) I manage to get a read of his Counter and proceed to grab him...

... only to see that Mewtwo's hand goes THROUGH Ike and doesn't grab him. This has also happened to me with Yoshi's grab, so my question is: are there any frames in Ike's Counter that give some kind of invisibility or something? Or is it yet another flaw in Mewtwo's already horrible hitboxes? I don't think that's the case because it has also happened with Yoshi, but that's what I'm asking the experts for.

Thanks for your help guys! Have a nice day!

Sonicninja115

Hello, fellow Mewtwo mains! I hope you're all doing good. I returned to this thread to seek your help.

See, my best friend mains Ike, while I main Mewtwo as you may already see. Sometimes, when I'm fighting my friend (e_e) I manage to get a read of his Counter and proceed to grab him...

... only to see that Mewtwo's hand goes THROUGH Ike and doesn't grab him. This has also happened to me with Yoshi's grab, so my question is: are there any frames in Ike's Counter that give some kind of invisibility or something? Or is it yet another flaw in Mewtwo's already horrible hitboxes? I don't think that's the case because it has also happened with Yoshi, but that's what I'm asking the experts for.

Umm, Mewtwo has some pretty good hitboxes except for on three/four of his moves. But that's beside the point. Plain and simply, his grab sucks. Not only does it whiff unless the opponent is standing in idle waiting for you to slowly walk up, but it also doesn't combo and won't kill until 130% (which is high for Mewtwo. I still use Uthrow to kill, but not as often as other moves.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Two questions:

1. Did you try to grab Ike right at the start of the Counter animation? Because it does have an intangibility window (and so do a lot of counters for some unfathomable reason) right at the start.

2. Was it a dash grab? That's really the only grab Mewtwo has that's misleading in range.

I'm guessing it was number one if you say it happened when you tried to grab with Yoshi too.

Umm, Mewtwo has some pretty good hitboxes except for on three/four of his moves. But that's beside the point. Plain and simply, his grab sucks. Not only does it whiff unless the opponent is standing in idle waiting for you to slowly walk up, but it also doesn't combo and won't kill until 130% (which is high for Mewtwo. I still use Uthrow to kill, but not as often as other moves.
Grabbing may not be the most rewarding in terms of percent, but they all give Mewtwo some pretty significant stage control, especially fthrow which is tied with a few others for highest damaging throw. And stage control is good for charging Shadow Balls, which everybody likes.

130% is really the worst case scenario for uthrow, that is having no rage, not standing on a platform and/or facing a character resistant to vertical KOs. Even a modest amount of rage brings it pretty close to 100% on lighter characters.

I mean, it is probably good to show some restraint when grabbing with Mewtwo compared to others, but don't discount what it can do for him just because the rewards aren't immediately obvious.

Sonicninja115

Two questions:

1. Did you try to grab Ike right at the start of the Counter animation? Because it does have an intangibility window (and so do a lot of counters for some unfathomable reason) right at the start.

2. Was it a dash grab? That's really the only grab Mewtwo has that's misleading in range.

I'm guessing it was number one if you say it happened when you tried to grab with Yoshi too.

Grabbing may not be the most rewarding in terms of percent, but they all give Mewtwo some pretty significant stage control, especially fthrow which is tied with a few others for highest damaging throw. And stage control is good for charging Shadow Balls, which everybody likes.

130% is really the worst case scenario for uthrow, that is having no rage, not standing on a platform and/or facing a character resistant to vertical KOs. Even a modest amount of rage brings it pretty close to 100% on lighter characters.

I mean, it is probably good to show some restraint when grabbing with Mewtwo compared to others, but don't discount what it can do for him just because the rewards aren't immediately obvious.
I use Fthrow a lot at low Percents and a throw at mid with Uthrow at high. I just have to make a semi-hard read or use a punish to get it. I find that Dthrow can be good for a couple of purposes that I am going to be looking into. But compared to most of the cast, his grab sucks. I probably should have made it clear I was comparing it to other characters grabs. I hope in the next patch they fix it, they probably will.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I use Fthrow a lot at low Percents and a throw at mid with Uthrow at high. I just have to make a semi-hard read or use a punish to get it. I find that Dthrow can be good for a couple of purposes that I am going to be looking into. But compared to most of the cast, his grab sucks. I probably should have made it clear I was comparing it to other characters grabs. I hope in the next patch they fix it, they probably will.
They can fix his dash grab or make them all hit lower, but as long as Confusion exists his grab is most likely always going to be short. Which is fine when they're mainly used to relieve pressure instead of as a source of damage.

Sonicninja115

Hey, people on the social thread should check out the meta game thread as it is coming along nicely, any comments would be great!

Igzex

I wish I looked this good with lipstick
Whoever can guess who the guy in my avatar is and what he has in common with our fair lady in this installment of super smash bros gets a like and will join the guy in my avatar, Femtwo, Miriam Pultro, all the members of King Crimson, and every JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Character that isn't Yukako in an elite club of people I consider awesome.

Last edited:

C3CC

Smash Lord
Two questions:

Yes to both of your questions: it was at the start of the Counter and it was a dash grab.

Am I the only one who gets absolutely enraged when they read Mewtwo's fighter article in Smash 4 in SmashWiki? It's so negative and biased. They make it sound like Mewtwo sucks and is some sort of waste, or if he was the worst character in the game.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Mewtwo_(SSB4)

"Nerfed from his transition from Melee to Smash 4"? WTF do they mean? That is obviously not the case.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Yes to both of your questions: it was at the start of the Counter and it was a dash grab.

Am I the only one who gets absolutely enraged when they read Mewtwo's fighter article in Smash 4 in SmashWiki? It's so negative and biased. They make it sound like Mewtwo sucks and is some sort of waste, or if he was the worst character in the game.

Here's the link to the article: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Mewtwo_(SSB4)

"Nerfed from his transition from Melee to Smash 4"? WTF do they mean? That is obviously not the case.
While i do think that Mewtwo needs both fixes & buffs and also agree that he is a high-risk low-reward charatcer, this guy is really way too negative. XD

Yeah, "Nerfed from Melee to Smash 4" is absolutely wrong. I think Mewtwo is much better here than he was in melee.

...still hoping for some major buffs on september 30th.

Last edited:
Top Bottom