• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F25oP0YfqQg

So I decided to go on For Glory on my friend's Wii U, and I bumped into this... the match was over in 16 seconds. Is this escapable in any way at all? If not, Bayonetta might just be busted.
Yeah, Bayo players be lovin' that one. It isn't true, but it was a big surprise when it happened to me for the first time. Getting out of it takes DI, AD, and a prayer.

Bayo is gonna get nerfed.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Bayo is gonna get nerfed.
Not when there's no dev team to nerf her!

Anyone, theory about the Ash Greninja thing. It's clearly going to be the new mechanic, as Sunmoon has the Pokemon Reburst thingies on the logos. My theory is that they increase more than 100BST, but it can only be used as a gamble, Ash could feel the pain Greninja suffered in that form. As a tradeoff for high as **** stats, when that pokemon faints, you faint, meaning regardless of how many pokemon are in your party, you lose

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Sorry to break up the Pokemon talk but I gotta gush for a second.

I picked up mewtwo just to test his buffs, and by God does mewtwo feel fantastic to play now. I won't be maining or having a secondary (don't need for matchups) but I will def be practicing him as a pocket. He just flows extremely well, his moves weave into each other very nicely. The recovery is fantastic, stylish kill confirms, two kill throws. Sadly mewtwo takes the whole glass cannon thing too seriously and is literally made of glass. Just wanted to say the character just clicks, and we need to get this guy to the very least top of mid tier.

Last edited:

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
Sadly, all of the Bayonettas I've run into know to stop before Fire's windbox can kill them. I'm still waiting though, for the moment when that one Bayonetta goes to far, giving me the opportunity to Fire them to the moon.
:162:
Bayonetta isn't that hard to deal with. Just try to not get locked in her up-b combo.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Sadly mewtwo takes the whole glass cannon thing too seriously and is literally made of glass.
This bothers you less and less the more you get used to the character. It's normal at first since you're used to normal weight characters and you may be disillusioned by dying stupidly early to horizontal kills, but you adjust to it as you get better at the character and he starts to become second nature. Only then when you drop that weight (or lack thereof) from your shoulders can you unlock the true potential of Mewtwo.

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
This bothers you less and less the more you get used to the character. It's normal at first since you're used to normal weight characters and you may be disillusioned by dying stupidly early to horizontal kills, but you adjust to it as you get better at the character and he starts to become second nature. Only then when you drop that weight (or lack thereof) from your shoulders can you unlock the true potential of Mewtwo.
How do you play Mewtwo? I know there are people who have different play styles. I try to use the jab/disable and jab/grab combo
as much as i can.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Last edited:

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
My post had nothing to do with Bayonetta being difficult to deal with. ;P
Oh, whoops. Wasn't paying attention XD. Sorry about that.

There's plenty of great resources in this forum. You should check out the Directory topic which compiles a lot of topics pertaining to basic and advanced Mewtwo stuff, including his attributes, playstyle, and moveset.

http://smashboards.com/threads/mewtwo-resource-directory-i-look-here-for-info.431894/
Oh wow. Thanks! I was asking how YOU play him. But still thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
There's no real specific way to play, but...

If you're gonna main Mewtwo, you better learn those Down Tilt combos.
I'm trying to get the timing right. Sometime's i miss my opponents with Shadow Claw. I know it has short range, but sheesh.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Oh wow. Thanks! I was asking how YOU play him. But still thanks.
Oh, well in that case I usually space with little shadow balls and SHAD forward air (excellent kill option, combo tool, and safe move overall if fast falled), I use n-air as an air dodge punish and ledge option (currently experimenting with it as a combo tool), and I stuff approaches with both jab and down tilt (excellent combo tool as well and extremely important for his up close game). I also use dash attack as a nice burst option, and it goes well with Mewtwo's speed. I also try my best to punish poor decisions with fully charged shadow balls instead of just throwing them out in neutral. You want your movement and dodges to be tricky as well. Mewtwo has a great air dodge, so you should use it often (just not too much).

Off stage, I always try and aggressively pursue the opponent if I know I can gimp them. I usually weigh the option of whether I want to give up stage control or not, and if I think the risk is worth it, I'll go for aerials off stage depending on the opponent's position and recovery pattern. Mewtwo can come back from almost anywhere, so there's not a lot of recovery risk in terms of going off stage.

In general, you need to understand the concepts of offense and defense well to succeed with Mewtwo (or anyone, really, but Mewtwo has more risk attached). Know risk scenarios and when you should go on the offensive or stay back.

Last edited:

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
Oh, well in that case I usually space with little shadow balls and SHAD forward air (excellent kill option, combo tool, and safe move overall), I use n-air as an air dodge punish and ledge option (currently experimenting with it as a combo tool), and I stuff approaches with both jab and down tilt (excellent combo tool as well and extremely important for his up close game). I also use dash attack as a nice burst option, and it goes well with Mewtwo's speed. I also try my best to punish poor decisions with fully charged shadow balls instead of just throwing them out in neutral. You want your movement and dodges to be tricky as well. Mewtwo has a great air dodge, so you should use it often (just not too much).

Off stage, I always try and aggressively pursue the opponent if I know I can gimp them. I usually weigh the option of whether I want to give up stage control or not, and if I think the risk is worth it, I'll go for forward airs and neutral airs off stage. Mewtwo can come back from almost anywhere, so there's not a lot of recovery risk in terms of going off stage.
Well, if I'm trying to recover, I try to fake my opponent out with the teleport. I always charge up the shadow ball so I constantly have my opponent "scared" so to speak. I got Mewtwo a couple of weeks ago.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Well, if I'm trying to recover, I try to fake my opponent out with the teleport. I always charge up the shadow ball so I constantly have my opponent "scared" so to speak. I got Mewtwo a couple of weeks ago.
Yeah, you always want to have that shadow ball charged if you can. It forces opponents to respect you and not commit to anything stupid, else they receive 25% damage and/or die.

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
User was warned for this post
Yeah, you always want to have that shadow ball charged if you can. It forces opponents to respect you and not commit to anything stupid, else they receive 25% damage and/or die.
Do you have any tips on how to use Mewtwo's NAIR? I tried using Up Throw (At low percentage's of course) and I got a little damage off but not the whole thing.

Oh, well in that case I usually space with little shadow balls and SHAD forward air (excellent kill option, combo tool, and safe move overall if fast falled), I use n-air as an air dodge punish and ledge option (currently experimenting with it as a combo tool), and I stuff approaches with both jab and down tilt (excellent combo tool as well and extremely important for his up close game). I also use dash attack as a nice burst option, and it goes well with Mewtwo's speed. I also try my best to punish poor decisions with fully charged shadow balls instead of just throwing them out in neutral. You want your movement and dodges to be tricky as well. Mewtwo has a great air dodge, so you should use it often (just not too much).

Off stage, I always try and aggressively pursue the opponent if I know I can gimp them. I usually weigh the option of whether I want to give up stage control or not, and if I think the risk is worth it, I'll go for aerials off stage depending on the opponent's position and recovery pattern. Mewtwo can come back from almost anywhere, so there's not a lot of recovery risk in terms of going off stage.

In general, you need to understand the concepts of offense and defense well to succeed with Mewtwo (or anyone, really, but Mewtwo has more risk attached). Know risk scenarios and when you should go on the offensive or stay back.
How did you make that card?

Last edited by a moderator:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Do you have any tips on how to use Mewtwo's NAIR? I tried using Up Throw (At low percentage's of course) and I got a little damage off but not the whole thing.
Up Throw doesn't combo into anything. None of his throws do. I don't really recommend it for too much early percentage use except for mix-ups and juggling certain characters that hate to be in the air. You don't want to stale it either. Save it for kills. I have an up throw kill chart that's listed in the directory if you wanted to see what ranges characters die at on FD. I'm currently trying to expand that to account for rage and other stages.

For neutral air, it has great uses off stage as a gimping tool that can either send certain characters too far to recover, or it can stage spike them. If characters are air dodge happy, you can use n-air to catch them and potentially get them in a combo if you correctly predict where the opponent will go.

And speaking of that...

http://smashboards.com/threads/nair-knockback-guide.413975/

This is a guide that goes into detail about how n-air works and how you can predict the direction opponents get knocked away. This can allow you to set up for either a back or forward air.

Neutral air also has utility as a combo tool, and this is something I'm trying to optimize more myself. If fast falled, n-air now has little enough landing lag where you can follow up with a grab or down tilt. The initial hitbox also can combo into an up smash if you hit with just one hit as well. It's a potentially dangerous but advanced tool that I hope to master more in the future. In the meantime, that guide is very helpful for n-air.

I made the card on this signature making website. Just click on the card and you can make your own.

Last edited:

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
Up Throw doesn't combo into anything. None of his throws do. I don't really recommend it for too much early percentage use except for mix-ups and juggling certain characters that hate to be in the air. You don't want to stale it either. Save it for kills. I have an up throw kill chart that's listed in the directory if you wanted to see what ranges characters die at on FD. I'm currently trying to expand that to account for rage and other stages.

For neutral air, it has great uses off stage as a gimping tool that can either send certain characters too far to recover, or it can stage spike them. If characters are air dodge happy, you can use n-air to catch them and potentially get them in a combo if you correctly predict where the opponent will go.

And speaking of that...

http://smashboards.com/threads/nair-knockback-guide.413975/

This is a guide that goes into detail about how n-air works and how you can predict the direction opponents get knocked away. This can allow you to set up for either a back or forward air.

Neutral air also has utility as a combo tool, and this is something I'm trying to optimize more myself. If fast falled, n-air now has little enough landing lag where you can follow up with a grab or down tilt. The initial hitbox also can combo into an up smash if you hit with just one hit as well. It's a potentially dangerous but advanced tool that I hope to master more in the future. In the meantime, that guide is very helpful for n-air.

I made the card on this signature making website. Just click on the card and you can make your own.
Cool! Thanks man. We need to Smash later XD. You have the 3DS version?

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
How do you play Mewtwo? I know there are people who have different play styles. I try to use the jab/disable and jab/grab combo
as much as i can.
Do you DTilt? Its quick and sexy like a cosplay Scyther. Sets up for aerials brilliantly, and has low startup/endlag so you can put it out there and see what happens. Follow up with FAir at lower% or UAir at mid%.

He has loads of other deeply erotic manoeuvres. Dat SH>NAir...

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
Do you DTilt? Its quick and sexy like a cosplay Scyther. Sets up for aerials brilliantly, and has low startup/endlag so you can put it out there and see what happens. Follow up with FAir at lower% or UAir at mid%.

He has loads of other deeply erotic manoeuvres. Dat SH>NAir...
Of course I DTilt. I do exactly what you just said.

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
Is dthrow > sh fair guaranteed at low percents? I might just be messing up the timing sometimes but I haven't really played other people yet.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Is dthrow > sh fair guaranteed at low percents? I might just be messing up the timing sometimes but I haven't really played other people yet.
Down Throw has no true followups at any percent.

You can get followups if you read their DI (and/or airdodge) though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Not when there's no dev team to nerf her!

Anyone, theory about the Ash Greninja thing. It's clearly going to be the new mechanic, as Sunmoon has the Pokemon Reburst thingies on the logos. My theory is that they increase more than 100BST, but it can only be used as a gamble, Ash could feel the pain Greninja suffered in that form. As a tradeoff for high as **** stats, when that pokemon faints, you faint, meaning regardless of how many pokemon are in your party, you lose
Couldn't you just save that reburst until the respective pokemon is the only one left, thereby negating the "lose instantly" penalty?

FlameEmperor

Smash Cadet
NNID
FlameEmperor
You know what would be fun? I think we need to host a tournament and summon all the other Pokemon boards.

We need to start asserting our dominace over them. To long now since our Reawakening and they still believe their safe from us. The Pikachus, the Greninjas, the Lucarios, the Charizards..even the Jiggs need to reminded who the only legendary is in this game. After they all perish we start the cloning process.

Brothers or not it's time whip out our tail and slam it on the table in competition.

These will be our invitations
Very intimidating.

I believe it's high time for this to be done.
:150:

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
You know what would be fun? I think we need to host a tournament and summon all the other Pokemon boards.

We need to start asserting our dominace over them. To long now since our Reawakening and they still believe their safe from us. The Pikachus, the Greninjas, the Lucarios, the Charizards..even the Jiggs need to reminded who the only legendary is in this game. After they all perish we start the cloning process.

Brothers or not it's time wip out our tail and slam it on the table in competition.

These will be our invitations
Very intimidating.

I believe it's high time for this to be done.
:150:
An all out Pokemon tournament would be pretty fun. It works out well in our favor, at least, since I think Mewtwo goes even with or wins vs. all of them except Pikachu and Greninja.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
An all out Pokemon tournament would be pretty fun. It works out well in our favor, at least, since I think Mewtwo goes even with or wins vs. all of them except Pikachu. As it should be.
Greninja is often touted as a hard matchup for Mewtwo.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Guys, if you decided to challenge the Charizard mains...well, don't expect me to remain fully loyal to Mewtwo then.
I seriously doubt it.
I mean, Pokemon Reburst? That weird manga with Pokemon fusion? I seriously doubt Gamefreak would ever pull from that.

Those are typical diamond-ish shapes. Being such basic shapes, it's not unlikely at all for such a coincidence to pop up.

Besides, Ash's Greininja just creeps me out.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Guys, if you decided to challenge the Charizard mains...well, don't expect me to remain fully loyal to Mewtwo then.
I seriously doubt it.
I mean, Pokemon Reburst? That weird manga with Pokemon fusion? I seriously doubt Gamefreak would ever pull from that.

Those are typical diamond-ish shapes. Being such basic shapes, it's not unlikely at all for such a coincidence to pop up.

Besides, Ash's Greininja just creeps me out.
The fact it's called ASH Greninja makes me think the Reburst thing isn't a coincidence

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
So, today I have realised I've improved by a ton compared to two weeks ago.

For the whole day I exclusively used Mewtwo and Roy against the other players of my college. I have ticked off more than a few of them today.

Another thing I've noticed since my vow to get serious, I get set off super easily by casual aspects of the game. Items are turned ON? I get annoyed. We play Great Cave offensive? I just SD so I don't have to deal with it.

I feel bad because I don't want to tick people off and I don't want to hate the casual stuff.

Furret24

Smash Master
So, today I have realised I've improved by a ton compared to two weeks ago.

For the whole day I exclusively used Mewtwo and Roy against the other players of my college. I have ticked off more than a few of them today.

Another thing I've noticed since my vow to get serious, I get set off super easily by casual aspects of the game. Items are turned ON? I get annoyed. We play Great Cave offensive? I just SD so I don't have to deal with it.

I feel bad because I don't want to tick people off and I don't want to hate the casual stuff.
I thought everyone hated the Great Cave Offensive.

Top Bottom