• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

I thought :gawmelee: had to be the last character you unlock, since you need every other character to get him. Did you just not unlock him or something?
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. That was, what, 15 years ago? 12? I forget when Melee came out.

Regardless, Mewtwo is the last or second-to-last unlock. I had to leave my GC on overnight to do it. I remember not even knowing Mewtwo was in the game until I looked it up online.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Maybe I'm remembering wrong. That was, what, 15 years ago? 12? I forget when Melee came out.

Regardless, Mewtwo is the last or second-to-last unlock. I had to leave my GC on overnight to do it. I remember not even knowing Mewtwo was in the game until I looked it up online.
If you have friends he can actually be one of the first to be unlocked. Truly the weirdest unlock condition in the whole series... second going to 64 Ness requiring 3 stocks or less in 1P Mode.

Last edited:

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
When you're trash at every single Smash game except 4 it is.
It's true; I'm trash at 64. I'm good at melee, brawl, PM, and 4, but 64 is the one game where I can't use anyone.

But still, I said tedious, not difficult. I don't know where anyone could mix up two words with completely different definitions.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
If you have friends he can actually be one of the first to be unlocked. Truly the weirdest unlock condition in the whole series... second going to 64 Ness requiring 3 stocks or less in 1P Mode.
Want to know how I unlocked Mewtwo in Melee?

I decided to find the best combination of speed + fastfaller in the game. That was Fox.

I ran Fox off of Final Destination approximately 700 times.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
If you have friends
Yeah, well, when Melee came out I had no friends, so I left my Gamecube on all night. Simple.

It wasn't until late 2003 that I started to make casual friends at my high school.

It wasn't until late 2005 that I realized that a year after graduation, 99% of those friends didn't care anymore.

At 30, I've realized that it is exceedingly rare to find people who are willing to nurture a friendship. It takes far more effort now. Too easy for people (myself included) to get wrapped up in your own problems... and isolate.

Another reason why a great marriage is perhaps the strongest and most helpful relationship a person can have. Nothing can match that kind of proximity and honesty. Some would say that's just as rare, but it's a conscious decision.

Being alone sucks. The more alone I am, the more I go after the counterfeit and the distraction on places like this, which circulates more isolation, usually.

Sorry, I forgot why I was rambling.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I remember leaving my gamecube on for five hours with four GC controllers plugged in to unlock Mewtwo...

Furret24

Smash Master
It's true; I'm trash at 64. I'm good at melee, brawl, PM, and 4, but 64 is the one game where I can't use anyone.

But still, I said tedious, not difficult. I don't know where anyone could mix up two words with completely different definitions.
They kinda mix together here. My lack of skill makes it where I have to continously retry classic mode, doing the same repetitive stages over and over. It becomes tedious after a while.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
I remember leaving my gamecube on for five hours with four GC controllers plugged in to unlock Mewtwo...
I only had 1 controller so I left my gamecube on all night...... So after I unlocked Mewtwo I immediately turned off the console in fear of it blowing up lol

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
Yeah, well, when Melee came out I had no friends, so I left my Gamecube on all night. Simple.

It wasn't until late 2003 that I started to make casual friends at my high school.

It wasn't until late 2005 that I realized that a year after graduation, 99% of those friends didn't care anymore.

At 30, I've realized that it is exceedingly rare to find people who are willing to nurture a friendship. It takes far more effort now. Too easy for people (myself included) to get wrapped up in your own problems... and isolate.

Another reason why a great marriage is perhaps the strongest and most helpful relationship a person can have. Nothing can match that kind of proximity and honesty. Some would say that's just as rare, but it's a conscious decision.

Being alone sucks. The more alone I am, the more I go after the counterfeit and the distraction on places like this, which circulates more isolation, usually.

2manyfeels. I felt pretty bad while reading this, but since you're in the smash community, you have tons of friends in these social forums.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
2manyfeels. I felt pretty bad while reading this, but since you're in the smash community, you have tons of friends in these social forums.
I have a lot of friendly acquaintances. People I enjoy talking to, listening to, learning from. But we're all strangers here.

It's like giving a pickle to a starving man: it staves off some of the hunger, but he's still malnourished.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm no good at making irl connections either. I try to talk to people, but my social anxiety is just so bad it's almost crippling. I can't really see myself in a healthy relationship either, so I don't really see a marriage in my future either.

...That's why after I move out and start living on my own, I'm going to adopt pets. Most dogs are friendlier than most people anyway.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
So the Pokemon who hides itself away from society either because...reasons (whatever reason Mewtwo has for chilling in Cerulean Cave) in game or because of a lack of trust in anime has a number of people maining it in Smash Bros with similar dispositions towards people (based purely on this thread), myself included.

Never was one for friends. Most friends from school either moved or we drifted apart and I have at best, friendly acquaintances at work. Got at least one friend in person who (whom?) I've had for years which is my cousin who thankfully also enjoys Smash. Most people I've ever been close to have been online friends including the current love of my life.

Too used to in-person friends drifting off and making friends with the wrong kinds of people to really care to make many. Got my 2 best friends and family and that's all I need though I'm aware that even with what little that is, I'm lucky compared to some others.

Might make more friends somewhat in person next year when I start attending tournaments.

And at the very least, we've all got each other here. Being alone together or something or other poetic.

Oh and as for Melee Mewtwo, I think as a kid, I just unlocked him by playing enough matches. Come my teenage years, I'm pretty sure I had to be like most of you and just leave my console on for a while. And that still hasn't changed. Thank you custom moves for taking 2 nonstop weeks to unlock <3.

Browny

Smash Hater
I'm no good at making irl connections either. I try to talk to people, but my social anxiety is just so bad it's almost crippling. I can't really see myself in a healthy relationship either, so I don't really see a marriage in my future either.

...That's why after I move out and start living on my own, I'm going to adopt pets. Most dogs are friendlier than most people anyway.
Hey, look up Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for social anxiety. I put myself through a course of it in 2010 and it helped, I know all about crippling social anxiety.

It can basically help you develop a new mindset for social situations and start you on a path of getting better.

Sensane

Smash Lord
NNID
Rneophyte
I personally don't what to get married. I feel that if I'm going to be unable to support myself in the real world, then I certainly can't support a nagging woman who I'll just end up questioning as to why I haven't divorced her yet. I'm not patient like my dad; if I end up with a woman like my mom I'm just going to go mentally insane. I have no trouble making friends for a kid with asbergers, but even I say that once high school is over I'm not going to see them again until the high school reunion that I'm more than likely to not know about.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
So guys i will be attending a major with some of the japan players called shots fired!!! Im gonna shot for top 8 and 1st!
Good Luck and as the people on the Link boards say ( me included ) Do Work!

This Thread got dark relatively quick.... There was a local Smash 4 tournament near me that I decided to attend to and managed to come in 3rd using Mewtwo and Link. Needless to say I felt like I improved quite a bit either that or the competition sucked....

Last edited:

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to get my social life back on track this year. From 2010-2014 it was great as I was going out almost every week, I had more friends than I ever thought I would and I even broke out of the friend zone and got with the girl I really liked even if it only lasted for just under a year. The past year and a half has sucked though as my friends are now growing more distant as they find SO's and get better jobs but I knew it would happen eventually. I've just got to get back out there.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul

I can relate to this so well.

None of my 'friends' from high school cared about video games, let alone Smash. I actually discovered Melee at 18, so I was a year out of school when I first learned about Taj's Mewtwo. I'd never played SB64 or Melee growing up so it was all new to me and I mainly bought the game for Mewtwo.

I'm 25 and so many people have just come and gone. I make friends but usually its me always asking to catch up or do things, and every single time it's the same, they're always too busy with other things. I think asked a 'friend' at least 7 or more times (over a span of a year) to do something together and she would always say she was too busy, yet I noticed her constantly going out to the movies, or social gatherings with other friends. In the end I just stopped caring.

It does take a lot of effort to make a friend. So many people just let you down.

Most of my friends nowadays are in the Smash scene we have here. I get along far better with guys than other girls. But I'm more of a tomboy I guess.

Mewtwo inspires me a lot, especially his personality and story. He's just one of those characters that 'clicked' with me and has for the past 6 years. I met my best friend through Mewtwo (who is also a Mewtwo fan).

I can't wait for Pokken!

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Holy cow the feels in this thread right now. I definitely want to improve on my social life this year. My social anxiety gets in the way of me and my friends a lot, plus I've got a speech impediment irl which can be really embarrassing even with friends I've known for years. As of right now most of my friends just finished high school and our lives are not really busy at the moment but my main issue is actually putting myself out there just to say "Hey, wanna hang out sometime?". Like I said, I would really like to see myself going out more this year. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Also, to anyone else here going through a tough time right now, remember that you've got friends right here on this thread. :)

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

Pets can help. Good pets are good companions. Still, there is a human element we all need to be healthy. Even if you stay a single loner like myself, there are community groups or activities you should attempt to partake in (depending on what sort of person you are).

If your anxiety is bad enough that you don't even think you could go to church or go to the park (if you have those in your area), then maybe you should consider counseling. I've done a certain measure of counseling for quite a while now (on and off -- long story), and it always helps me a great deal.

I personally don't what to get married. I feel that if I'm going to be unable to support myself in the real world, then I certainly can't support a nagging woman who I'll just end up questioning as to why I haven't divorced her yet. I'm not patient like my dad; if I end up with a woman like my mom I'm just going to go mentally insane. I have no trouble making friends for a kid with asbergers, but even I say that once high school is over I'm not going to see them again until the high school reunion that I'm more than likely to not know about.
I'm sorry you grew up in a home with a dysfunctional marriage.

This is getting very personal but I'll let you peek a bit into my own life: my father and mother both have their own problems. They both came from horrible, abusive families and all things considered turned out to be very loving and caring people... but that baggage takes a toll. My mother for years was overly critical of my dad. My father developed into kind of a rage-aholic, though he has never once physically struck someone. Both are traits they picked up from their worst parents: my grandmother and my grandfather (opposite sides of the family of course). Both came from families that divorced but remarried later. My father has threatened to leave my mother many times but he knows he shouldn't do it so he hasn't.

My dad's anger and inability/refusal to be self-aware in certain kinds of situations has resulted in him wounding my soul (and my mother's soul) over and over again. I refuse to blame my father for my personal choices but the choices he has made have not often been helpful for me at all.

With all this going on, you'd think I'd never want to get married, right? Well, wrong. In fact, the only things really holding me back from seeking out a potential mate in life has been an addiction I have developed to cope with my pain, and me being poor and homeless. I wasn't always this destitute, it's just that crippling circumstances over the past couple years keep making it worse and worse.

I don't want to find the lady of my dreams and be a burden for her, so I want to get a new job, a place to live, and work on becoming financially free. I can't properly love her until I recover from this addiction, because it would tear us apart. Really, the ball's in my court. I'd say the same thing to you, Sensane. Counseling, mentorship, and forgiveness cannot be stressed enough in life.

I can relate to this so well.

None of my 'friends' from high school cared about video games, let alone Smash. I actually discovered Melee at 18, so I was a year out of school when I first learned about Taj's Mewtwo. I'd never played SB64 or Melee growing up so it was all new to me and I mainly bought the game for Mewtwo.

I'm 25 and so many people have just come and gone. I make friends but usually its me always asking to catch up or do things, and every single time it's the same, they're always too busy with other things. I think asked a 'friend' at least 7 or more times (over a span of a year) to do something together and she would always say she was too busy, yet I noticed her constantly going out to the movies, or social gatherings with other friends. In the end I just stopped caring.

It does take a lot of effort to make a friend. So many people just let you down.

Most of my friends nowadays are in the Smash scene we have here. I get along far better with guys than other girls. But I'm more of a tomboy I guess.

Mewtwo inspires me a lot, especially his personality and story. He's just one of those characters that 'clicked' with me and has for the past 6 years. I met my best friend through Mewtwo (who is also a Mewtwo fan).

I can't wait for Pokken!
Sounds like you and I have a lot in common then, based on what you've shared. Taj was the reason I got interested in playing Melee seriously, and I still respect him to this day. I have had friends outright betray me, let me down, and drop off for years. Sometimes people just get so busy that they can't spend that quality time with you any longer... people you really love.

Mewtwo, depending on how you look at him (and when I refer to Mewtwo as a character, I almost exclusively refer to movie 1 Mewtwo), can really be sort of inspiring. But to be inspired by Mewtwo, you need to realize his faults as well: vindictiveness, vanity, violence, manipulation, and unforgiveness. Yes, at the end, Mewtwo learns from his mistakes, but don't emulate his vindictiveness or vanity. I have found myself to be prone to thinking too highly of myself at times, unforgiveness, and the like. I am only human and I make mistakes. If I were to look to Mewtwo for an intellectual push, it'd be to his final realization, apology, and (sequel movie) atonement.

For me, though, there are much more inspiring people in my life than Mewtwo. I like that character, and it brings me joy, but people like my younger sister inspire me to work hard, forgive, and that I too can "make it out" and succeed in life; people like Jesus give me hope that no matter what, I at least have one person I can call on who cares about me.

And yes, I AM EXCITED FOR POKKEN!~

I can't play it because my Wii U is broken and I have no TV, but I AM EXCITED ANYWAY!~

Holy cow the feels in this thread right now. I definitely want to improve on my social life this year. My social anxiety gets in the way of me and my friends a lot, plus I've got a speech impediment irl which can be really embarrassing even with friends I've known for years. As of right now most of my friends just finished high school and our lives are not really busy at the moment but my main issue is actually putting myself out there just to say "Hey, wanna hang out sometime?". Like I said, I would really like to see myself going out more this year. Just thought I'd put that out there.

Also, to anyone else here going through a tough time right now, remember that you've got friends right here on this thread. :)
I've met many people with severe speech impediments. I can relate a bit to the struggles and embarrassment, and I know how frustrating for you it must be at times when you struggle to get your words out and people look at you funny.

I don't have a speech impediment, but I know what it's like to be bullied, mocked, brushed off... I was, for whatever reason, an awkward child that always seemed to say the wrong thing and get ridiculed for it by other children or even teachers or family members. As such, I always have a great deal of respect and patience for people who cannot talk well for whatever reason.

Back when I sold steel carports, I had a woman come in who had a severe stutter. It took her a lot of effort just to get one sentence out. I just looked her in the eye, listened, and helped her any way I could. It took her maybe 3x as long as a normal person just to get a quote, but I didn't mind.

We all should love and respect each other, after all. That gets tricky when you have people actively attacking you, but that's another topic altogether.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962

I empathize with you there. I've asked plenty of people in my area if they want to hang out, and they tell me they're busy and will let me know when they're available. They then forget about that and hang out with other people...

Also, people rarely initiate conversation with me through text...usually I have to contact them in order to have any sort of communication.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
To make friends, you must first be a friend.

Very rarely will you meet someone so nice and friendly and wonderful that they come after you no matter what. In order to make relationships -- true relationships work, you have to put in the effort yourself.

And you have to know when to give up, too. Some people are living a toxic life that will drag you down, others just aren't interested in you. You just can't be everyone's friend.

I think a realistic goal is to have one or two real friends. But to get them, my point is, you must really go out of your way to love them first, and keep loving them. When you find people who love you back, and go out of their way to love you back, that's when you know you've found a good friend.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
hai

So a couple of days ago I was playing some friendlies, and I had a sudden urge to play mewtwo. I literally hadn't played him since about a month after his release, but damn... he's fun. I really wanna pick him up as a secondary. Is there a skype or discord group I can join so I can play some good mewtwo players and see what kinds of things they do first hand? Thanks up front.

So I guess I'll just introduce myself real quick.
I'm LotadAlittle, or just Lotad for short, and I main Tink, but I'm kinda confused rn at what I would consider my roy. Co-main, secondary, idk. I live in England (near-ish London) and have no idea where the nearest smash scene is (if anyone here knows of any near london, please tell me) so I've never been to a tournament, but I recently started using anther's a lot.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
hai

So a couple of days ago I was playing some friendlies, and I had a sudden urge to play mewtwo. I literally hadn't played him since about a month after his release, but damn... he's fun. I really wanna pick him up as a secondary. Is there a skype or discord group I can join so I can play some good mewtwo players and see what kinds of things they do first hand? Thanks up front.

So I guess I'll just introduce myself real quick.
I'm LotadAlittle, or just Lotad for short, and I main Tink, but I'm kinda confused rn at what I would consider my roy. Co-main, secondary, idk. I live in England (near-ish London) and have no idea where the nearest smash scene is (if anyone here knows of any near london, please tell me) so I've never been to a tournament, but I recently started using anther's a lot.
As far as I know there isn't a Mewtwo discord or skype group that I'm aware of, but if you happen to find one let me know.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
This thread got sad quick. :(

I can't imagine how it must feel. I don't really know what to say either. All I can say... good luck to all of you. Also, like many others have said already, we're all buddies here. Even if we're complete strangers. :p

Since we're sharing personal stories, I might as well. Nothing better to do anyway and I feel like saying it. I'm 15. I'm doing very well at school so that's cool. I don't really have social anxiety thankfully, I have a decent amount of friends. I can't really say I'm super close to them or anything though... but even so, I'm okay with that. I barely talk to a lot of my friends outside of school, but we're on friendly terms. I have two really friends that are also Smash/Nintendo fanatics and we're really close.

Never really thought about love... kinda. I'm still in puberty so it's on my mind a lot. It's kinda embarrassing to say this but my first romantic experience was in Maplestory (an MMORPG). I was like 9~10 years old and the relationship lasted a week 'cause I eventually told my "partner" my real age and she dumped me. Anyway, even though I wouldn't mind being in a relationship, I don't really care if I don't have one. If it comes it comes, but if it doesn't then it doesn't.

One thing that has been on my mind a lot recently are my parents. They divorced a few months ago. I cried for like 10 minutes when my uncle told me, but now I'm okay with it. I got over it really quickly. They divorced 6 years ago as well so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Anyway, I chose to live with my dad because my mom wanted to move elsewhere but I wanted to stay in my hometown. I feel guilty all the time because I'm lazy as hell and I feel like I cause a lot of trouble for my dad. I keep telling myself to help him with chores and stuff but in the end I don't do it. I wish he would force me to do chores sometimes, but he doesn't. And I feel like I disappointed my mom. I haven't seen my mom in awhile and she's been on my mind more than ever. Never really thought too hard about her until she left. She's coming next week to visit for a few weeks though! Honestly, I feel like it's becoming harder and harder to talk to my parents. My computer and video games are consuming me, for better or worse.

I don't really have a dream honestly. I'm satisfied with anything decent really. Life's pretty chill for me and I'm not depressed over anything. I'm happy with what I have.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So apparently the site got hacked? Meh, not the first time I've seen a forum hacked.
Hey, look up Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) for social anxiety. I put myself through a course of it in 2010 and it helped, I know all about crippling social anxiety.

It can basically help you develop a new mindset for social situations and start you on a path of getting better.
Oh yeah, I've heard of that. I may of been exaggerating when I said "crippling", because I can still do basic things like make an order at a restaurant and whatnot. It's social interactions that I struggle with.

I'll still look more into it, though. I think my parents have mentioned it before, but we never really talked about it.
Oh yeah, this place exists *sees feels* Er...What happened while I was gone?
This "feels-y" conversation only started, like, last night.

Last edited:
My social life is not my SmashBoards life. It's not half bad, but why would I divulge such information on a gaming forum?

So, I'll toss a new topic into the ring to shake things up.
What made you choose your secondary? Do you think Mewtwo needs a secondary or is he fine on his own? I ask this because, as seen in my signature, I have 4 secondaries right now, and I have no idea why I still play so many characters.

Metros

Smash Ace
NNID
metros2soul
They released an 'official' Smash 4 Tier List. WIth only two or so days until a patch. How ridiculous.

Of course, Mewtwo is low again. Unbelievable.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
My social life is not my SmashBoards life. It's not half bad, but why would I divulge such information on a gaming forum?

So, I'll toss a new topic into the ring to shake things up.
What made you choose your secondary? Do you think Mewtwo needs a secondary or is he fine on his own? I ask this because, as seen in my signature, I have 4 secondaries right now, and I have no idea why I still play so many characters.
I don't really have a secondary but I main Marth and Mewtwo. Or maybe Mewtwo's my secondary 'cause I play Marth more. Idk, but I tend to rotate between the two. When I lose as Marth I switch to Mewtwo, and vice versa.

I chose Marth because I like Fire Emblem and I feel like he fits my playstyle. Didn't really pick him to cover Mewtwo's matchups, but he's simply another character I like to play as much as Mewtwo. I have a longer history with Marth too.

Mewtwo is probably fine on his own... for the most part. As with any mid/low tier character, you're gonna do better with a top tier secondary of course. I think Mewtwo can handle himself though, especially after the buffs.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
The tier list is fine. It reflects the current Metagame, and I am sorry that marth and ganon were placed so low, but it is probably because they have never made a top 8 or 32...

Mewtwo is completely deserving of his slot. He has only recently become good, remember that without this patch, he would be living with Ganon on the list, because opinion of him was so low. If he doesn't increase in the next list, that would be dumb.

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
The tier list as far as I'm concerned Top tier S and High tier A and B seem accurate, But the rest of the tier list is a mess in terms of placing. Some Characters deserve their spots while others either need to be ranked higher or lower depending on how the next Patch goes.... It was just too early for a Tier list.

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
The tier list is fine considering the stage we're at. With bi-monthly updates and a soon to be 58 character roster it will always be difficult to accurately judge every character. Once the updates stop and we get towards the major summer tournaments then we can get a better understanding of where the meta is going and what characters will benefit from it.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Tier lists are usually yearly right? And the next one is probably going to come out in the fall.

Top Bottom