• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Honestly, I think Genesis will drastically show how capable he is. If he's a no show like at EVO (pre patch though since he's much better post patch) then that will be a shame. Think Abadango will pull through?
I don't think he will wash out, his fundamentals should be too good for that. He will probably get top 64 at absolute worst if he actually goes all Mewtwo.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Japan has released their tier list, placing Mewtwo in low mid-tier, above 23 other characters in the roster. That's pretty good, if you ask me.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
Japan has released their tier list, placing Mewtwo in low mid-tier, above 23 other characters in the roster. That's pretty good, if you ask me.
I don't trust that one. I see mewtwo there, maybe higher, but Roy and Robin c+ tier? They should be higher. Cloud at A- tier? He's barely been out a month. Lucina bottom 5 and Marth in C tier? Not only should Marth be in the C+ range, maybe higher, and Lucina shouldn't be that far behind him, plus, she's not bottom 5 worthy.
I mean, I'm still going to main Lucina alongside Meta Knight, I would even if she wasn't one of my best, but it annoys me when people immediately throw her into the bottom tier and say she's unviable without giving her much of a chance. It's nice playing an underrated character, but she's not unviable for ****'s sake.
...Anyways, rant aside, I do think mid/high mid tier is a good placement for Mewtwo. His buffs have made him even more fun to play than before...plus he's viable without question now.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Sounds about right at the moment. Whether he rises from or stays in low mid tier remains to be seen, but I think he can make waves with the right players. And he's starting to get them.

Also, I personally agree with Cloud being in A- tier. He seems like a very good character. I can see him going slightly lower, but not much if at all.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, I think Genesis will drastically show how capable he is. If he's a no show like at EVO (pre patch though since he's much better post patch) then that will be a shame. Think Abadango will pull through?
I have full faith in Abadango doing well at Genesis. He's a fantastic player, it'll be awesome to see what he'll do with Mewtwo considering this is the first time we'll see him at a Western major.

Last edited by a moderator:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I have full faith in Abadango doing well at Genesis. He's a fantastic player, it'll be awesome to see what he'll do with Mewtwo considering this is the first time we'll see him at a Western major.
Is he going full Mewtwo or is he using other characters too? Doesn't he use a lot of them? Not sure if he still uses Pac-Man, but that's who he's known for.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Is he going full Mewtwo or is he using other characters too? Doesn't he use a lot of them? Not sure if he still uses Pac-Man, but that's who he's known for.
He uses Rosalina and Meta Knight nowadays, he doesn't focus on Pac-Man or Wario anymore unfortunately. I have a feeling he'll pull out Meta Knight if things get rough for his Mewtwo, but we'll see.

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
Ew, Eventhubs...

Also, :4gaw: and :4duckhunt: are way too high.
Meh. They're the only ones with any sort of tier list before :4bayonetta: and :4corrin: come out. I don't think :4cloud: should be as high as he is. He's strong, but even Little Mac has a better recovery than he does.

Sonicninja115

Some questionable placements. But I personally think that the lowest tier should be C-.
S: Solo viable
A: Solo viable except against one or two bad MU's.
B: Viable with a secondary
C: Viable as a secondary

It's interesting to see some insight as to how the Japanese metagame has developed. A lot of the unconventional/difficult characters like Olimar, Palutena, Lucario and Peach have higher ratings than they do in America, which is good. There is one placement on there I highly disagree with... Mii Brawler. Should be B tier, especially after some of the plays I've seen Japanese Brawler players make.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Some questionable placements. But I personally think that the lowest tier should be C-.
S: Solo viable
A: Solo viable except against one or two bad MU's.
B: Viable with a secondary
C: Viable as a secondary
I agree. There are no competitively unviable characters. I've seen Jiggly, Samus, and Zelda do some amazing things on rare occasion. That doesn't mean they are good -- they aren't -- but they can do well in specific situations.

This means that Smash 4 is going to have some huge-ass A, B, and C tiers, but so what? That just speaks to the fact that there is not a huge disparity between most of the cast.

I think if they nerf the **** out of Shiek's needles and focus on buffing low tier characters, this could easily be the most balanced Smash yet.

Sonicninja115

I agree. There are no competitively unviable characters. I've seen Jiggly, Samus, and Zelda do some amazing things on rare occasion. That doesn't mean they are good -- they aren't -- but they can do well in specific situations.

This means that Smash 4 is going to have some huge-*** A, B, and C tiers, but so what? That just speaks to the fact that there is not a huge disparity between most of the cast.

I think if they nerf the **** out of Shiek's needles and focus on buffing low tier characters, this could easily be the most balanced Smash yet.
I think that is why we have so many tiers with + and - now.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I think that is why we have so many tiers with + and - now.
...which I find very annoying. All the + and - distinctions are highly subjective. Bloating a tier list with 3 different A tiers, for example, just makes it unnecessarily complex. Visually, it serves to make low tier characters look far worse than they are.

I HAS ZE LIST
Ones I really want are in green
Ones I don't think can make it in are in red... but remember that's an opinion

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Tentacruel

Slowbro
Kingler
Marowak

Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Chansey
Kangaskhan
Scyther
Jynx
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Lanturn
Umbreon
Granbull

Heracross
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Sableye

Aggron
Manectric
Flygon
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Luxray (despite pika and his clone)
Rampardos
Drifblim
Honchkrow

Drapion
Lumineon
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Silglyph

Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilluxe

Galvantula
Chandelure
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I HAS ZE LIST

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Tentacruel

Slowbro
Kingler
Marowak

Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Chansey
Kangaskhan
Scyther
Jynx
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Lanturn
Umbreon
Granbull

Heracross
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Sableye

Aggron
Manectric
Flygon
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Rampardos
Drifblim
Honchkrow

Drapion
Lumineon
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Silglyph

Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilluxe

Galvantula
Chandelure
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum
I see a Tyrantrum that would be cool...(since Zangoose can't happen now...or Durant, lol)

Anyways, I'm going to another weekly as Luigi/M2. Last time I used M2...well, I didn't win once, but every game came last hit last stock! So it was anyone's game, I kinda just lose my cool I think. But any general tips on using M2 in a tourney? I'm gonna use him for matchupa I can't do as Luigi, like Cloud, maybe Sheik, swords.

Although my weekly is infested with Ness and Yoshi, so it may not happen as I would go Luigi for them.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I see a Tyrantrum that would be cool...(since Zangoose can't happen now...or Durant, lol)

Anyways, I'm going to another weekly as Luigi/M2. Last time I used M2...well, I didn't win once, but every game came last hit last stock! So it was anyone's game, I kinda just lose my cool I think. But any general tips on using M2 in a tourney? I'm gonna use him for matchupa I can't do as Luigi, like Cloud, maybe Sheik, swords.

Although my weekly is infested with Ness and Yoshi, so it may not happen as I would go Luigi for them.
Fun fact: Gengar appear in the background of the spoopy mansion. So Zangoose isn't out yet

Sonicninja115

Nair with Mewtwo should be pretty good for gimping Ness.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I HAS ZE LIST

Raticate
Raichu
Vileplume
Parasect
Tentacruel

Slowbro
Kingler
Marowak

Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Chansey
Kangaskhan
Scyther
Jynx
Gyarados
Aerodactyl
Lanturn
Umbreon
Granbull

Heracross
Kingdra
Hitmontop
Raikou
Tyranitar
Swampert
Mightyena
Sableye

Aggron
Manectric
Flygon
Latios
Latias
Groudon
Rampardos
Drifblim
Honchkrow

Drapion
Lumineon
Gliscor
Heatran
Giratina
Darkrai
Stoutland
Zebstrika
Scolipede
Maractus
Silglyph

Carracosta
Cinccino
Reuniclus
Vanilluxe

Galvantula
Chandelure
Heatmor
Hydreigon
Terrakion
Reshiram
Landorus
Florges
Malamar
Dragalge
Tyrantrum
Pokémon on this list who are in the background of stages (not impossible for the roster, but highly unlikely): Chandelure, Sigilyph, Heatran, Drifblim, Flygon, Sableye, Heracross, Aerodactyl, Slowbro.

Sorry, TailLover, isn't looking good for Flygon.

I think it's likely they will pick a type they haven't done yet. Not guaranteed (we have 3 Fighting, 2 Fire, 2 Psychic, 2 Dragon, and 2 Pikachu, after all), but likely. The unused types are: Normal, Bug, Rock, and Ground.

Pokémon with those types from the list: Raticate, Parasect, Marowak, Kangaskhan, Tyranitar, Swampert, Aggron, Groudon, Rampardos, Gliscor, Stoutland, Scolipede, Carracosta, Cinccino, Galvantula, Terrakion, Landorus, Tyrantrum.

My most wanted Pokémon of all is Scolipede, so of course I'm rooting for him!

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I'm finally back, guys! Work really inundated me this week, so I wasn't around much. Enjoy your flooded Alerts tabs:p! Anyhow, in regards to the list of Pokkén Tournament's potential newcomers, I'm really excited for some of the characters on it! Dragalge is my second-favorite Pokémon ever, so it's very exciting to see him on there, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Tyrantrum or Luxray would be cool, as well, but my money's on Tyranitar, Heracross, or Swampert, honestly. They seem like the most probable candidates. Still crossing my fingers for my favorite toxic sea-dragon...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I want Aggron. There is no reason to dislike Aggron, he ****s your **** up, is the best physical tank with a mega stone, has a surprisingly neat support movepull and is a ****ing badass. Considering the largw list, it's likely I'll not get based Aggron, but someone else I like

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Just remember this is the list for ONLY the next release. Tyranitar is the most likely. Hey, when's this character coming out?
Thursday. Also, some employees had to guess the pokemon. These are they're reactions

– My prediction is correct! I’m really happy! – 1
– My prediction missed, but I’m still glad – 13
– My prediction missed, I’m salty – 31
– I’m actually perplexed, so I can’t answer – 5

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I would be happy with... almost anything. Scolipede is my #1 most favorite Pokémon, though, so I gotta root for him. Yes, I do like another Pokémon more than Mewtwo!

Thursday. Also, some employees had to guess the pokemon. These are they're reactions

– My prediction is correct! I’m really happy! – 1
– My prediction missed, but I’m still glad – 13
– My prediction missed, I’m salty – 31
– I’m actually perplexed, so I can’t answer – 5
I like the sound of this. Sounds like a Pokemon that is very unexpected or not often talked about. Let's go Scolipede!

Last edited:

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Nair with Mewtwo should be pretty good for gimping Ness.
I don't like M2 against Ness due to one misplaced Shadow ball being good bait for Ness to heal back 30%, along with baseball bat and b throw at the edge. I like Luigi for Ness. But I could see gimping Ness easier as M2

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
Pokémon on this list who are in the background of stages (not impossible for the roster, but highly unlikely): Chandelure, Sigilyph, Heatran, Drifblim, Flygon, Sableye, Heracross, Aerodactyl, Slowbro.

Sorry, TailLover, isn't looking good for Flygon.

I think it's likely they will pick a type they haven't done yet. Not guaranteed (we have 3 Fighting, 2 Fire, 2 Psychic, 2 Dragon, and 2 Pikachu, after all), but likely. The unused types are: Normal, Bug, Rock, and Ground.

Pokémon with those types from the list: Raticate, Parasect, Marowak, Kangaskhan, Tyranitar, Swampert, Aggron, Groudon, Rampardos, Gliscor, Stoutland, Scolipede, Carracosta, Cinccino, Galvantula, Terrakion, Landorus, Tyrantrum.

My most wanted Pokémon of all is Scolipede, so of course I'm rooting for him!
just because he's in the background doesn't mean it's impossible, but it does hurt, I'll still hope, and at the very least I'll hope for a tailed Pokemon

Also I never saw him in the backround, I'd like to see how he looks in the game, but it would be annoying to find a vid with him in it

Top Bottom