• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Yeah Confusion to dj Uair is much better now with the improved hitboxes! Connects much more reliably than before and seems to work on more characters that it didn't connect on prepatch and can lead to pretty devastating links as shown in the video. The slightly bigger reach on confusion has also made it easier to pull off stuff like this. Btw, Here's the video in case anyone else wants to see:

And yeah about my thumb issue.... it has really been a pain for me but it wasn't from perfect pivoting :p I got a severe inflammation in multiple tendons in my right thumb about 2 months ago from too much intense Smash + Guitar playing, and since then it's been up and down with periods where i can't do almost anything with my thumb because of the pain. It's still not completely gone, but much better now so hopefully it will be completely healed in a week or two!

During this period i have been using a adjusted control scheme so i don't have to use my right thumb at all when playing but rather use my index and middle finger to push the buttons (only difference is grab set to Y so i can reach everything) which was hard in the beginning but now im almost up to my usual skill level using this way of playing. It's actually been beneficial to my smash skills strangely enough since changing control scheme forced me to get out of bad defensive habits and now i put more thought into every action i do than i did before. I will hopefully be able to play with a normal control scheme using my thumb soon enough though :4mewtwo:
Awsome! that's good news. There should really be a safety guide or something, smash isn't nice on the hands.
What do you guys do with the c-stick? I have it on Smash now but I might change it to Attack. What seems better for Mewtwo?
There is a video in the Metagame thread that I will edit in, but I believe attack is the best method, however, the video shows that smash has upsides too.
That's not it. It requires actually using the Dash from the TurnRun animation.The result should be cancelling the turnaround animation with a Dash, not cancelling the Dash animation with a Dash. Also, the result with the Up-Smash should be using an Up-Smash going forward, but facing backwards. I'll upload a video if possible.
So what seems to be happening is you reverse the Usmash, while traveling in the same direction as before?

That would have many uses, especially with Shulk.

I have a Usmash analysis that I was planning to make so I could add it in there. I seem to remember something similar on the Shulk boards, but I don't remember how much momentum it gave.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I set my C-Stick to "Attack." I don't have any problem inputting Smash Attacks, but U-Tilts and F-Tilts sometimes get tricky for me, so the C-Stick is how I tend to input tilts. That's really the only reason.
I'd be happy with any voice from Mewtwo at all. Realistically, it was probably The Pokemon Company or GameFreak that put the kibosh on dubbing Mewtwo. We all know how backwards and contrary they are about controlling how their characters sound and look in other media. I seriously doubt Nintendo or Sakurai has any problem with dub/localized audio, as most Nintendo-owned characters in Smash 4 have localized voices, unless the character is known for speaking Japanese, like Marth & Roy.
You're not kidding. Last I heard, the reason none of the Pokémon have their true Shiny palettes is because either The Pokémon Company or GameFreak said, "No." That's why Pokémon like Mewtwo and Greninja have palette swaps that come painfully close to their Shiny palettes, but have a small difference that makes them stand out and away from the legit Shiny coloration. Mewtwo, for example, keeps his purple eyes on his cyan palette swap, whereas Greninja's black palette retains its original coloration on the webbing. I guess that's Sakurai's way blowing raspberries at TPC and GameFreak:laugh:. Also, this same uptightness is the reason why all of the Pokémon-themed Mystery Suits use the default Mario sounds, instead of ones themed after Pokémon. It kinda hurt to see Mewtwo not having his own sound clips, but I'll take what I can get.

D

Deleted member

So what seems to be happening is you reverse the Usmash, while traveling in the same direction as before?

That would have many uses, especially with Shulk.

I have a Usmash analysis that I was planning to make so I could add it in there. I seem to remember something similar on the Shulk boards, but I don't remember how much momentum it gave.
I'm not sure if you tried it yet, but regardless, I'm glad that you figured it out! If you substitute the Up-Smash for another Dash/Run during the turning (not dashing) animation, depending on how long you stay in the turning animation, you can actually slide backwards before dashing forward again. (this one's harder to explain)

Edit: This might sound absurd, but what if Sakurai combined the best features from Melee and Sm4sh Mewtwo's movesets together?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonicninja115

I'm not sure if you tried it yet, but regardless, I'm glad that you figured it out! If you substitute the Up-Smash for another Dash/Run during the turning (not dashing) animation, depending on how long you stay in the turning animation, you can actually slide backwards before dashing forward again. (this one's harder to explain)

Edit: This might sound absurd, but what if Sakurai combined the best features from Melee and Sm4sh Mewtwo's movesets together?
I haven't tried it since you mentioned it, I did something with Shulk a couple of months ago. I am 80% sure I know what you are talking about. I will make a short 10 second vid to make sure I have it.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
On Tuesday night, my co-workers and I decided to have a small Smash tournament between the five of us after work. This was the only Mewtwo match I managed to save.
I realize that since I'm more of a casual player, I don't have too much knowledge about advanced techniques. I also realize that my co-workers are also casual players who want to eventually beat me. I'm also sure I'd get 2 stocked by Speed if I ever faced her. However, judging by the provided video, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for ways I could improve my Mewtwo play.
I mean, based on who you were fighting, it seems to me you played very well and did a lot of optimal things! That Ike barely touched you and you 2-stocked him, lol.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Happy New Year, fellow Mewtwo mains. Thanks for taking part in the best year of Smash I've ever had.

May 2016 be kind to our tier placements, may Sakurai lavish buffs upon us, and may health and happiness find you on this New Year's Eve.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lately, I've been wondering about Mewtwo and the Anchor Jump equipment. Having one Anchor Jump on Mewtwo would raise its falling speed to 2.1, making it fall faster than even Fox, but I do know that Anchor Jump can end up working both ways.

For the plus side, the increased falling speed would make Mewtwo harder to Star KO at early percentages. However, this would also have a negative impact on Mewtwo's recovery in that it can't really recover low. Still, if Fox is able to overcome his high falling speed while recovering, seeing how well Mewtwo can cope with Anchor Jump's increased falling speed could offer up some interesting results.

Sadly, I'm not really able to experiment with this just yet, since I still lack the proper Anchor Jump equipment that can be used on any Pokemon character.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Lately, I've been wondering about Mewtwo and the Anchor Jump equipment. Having one Anchor Jump on Mewtwo would raise its falling speed to 2.1, making it fall faster than even Fox, but I do know that Anchor Jump can end up working both ways.

For the plus side, the increased falling speed would make Mewtwo harder to Star KO at early percentages. However, this would also have a negative impact on Mewtwo's recovery in that it can't really recover low. Still, if Fox is able to overcome his high falling speed while recovering, seeing how well Mewtwo can cope with Anchor Jump's increased falling speed could offer up some interesting results.

Sadly, I'm not really able to experiment with this just yet, since I still lack the proper Anchor Jump equipment that can be used on any Pokemon character.
What would be the point though? It's not like Mewtwo's fall speed is slow. To my knowledge, it's just average. I would prefer that for Jigglypuff who has the slowest fall speed in Smash 4.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

If you're messing around with customs, see what Mewtwo can do now with Smooth Lander equipment ;).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What would be the point though? It's not like Mewtwo's fall speed is slow. To my knowledge, it's just average. I would prefer that for Jigglypuff who has the slowest fall speed in Smash 4.
I guess the point that I'm bringing up is that Anchor Jump could potentially help Mewtwo survive longer against Star KOs, especially considering how ridiculously light it is.

If you're messing around with customs, see what Mewtwo can do now with Smooth Lander equipment ;).
I might have some Smooth Lander equipment that's compatible with the Pokemon characters, so it could be worth trying out at some point.

I've actually been working on equipment grinding during the past set of days, and I've experimented on different bonus effects, such as increasing Rosalina's air speed, and increasing Little Mac's mid-air jump height.

Last edited:

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I don't really know how I feel about increasing Mewtwo's falling speed. I mean, Mewtwo already has problems recovering low, mostly due to his poor ledge-grab animation and less-than-stellar options when it comes to getting back onstage from the ledge, so I don't know if exacerbating his current situation is worth some extra vertical survivability. Additionally, increasing Mewtwo's falling speed might make him even more vulnerable to combos than he already is, which could wind up counteracting his aforementioned increased survivability. To me, increasing Mewtwo's falling speed seems like it would only serve to weigh him down. That was awful... I might be missing something, though, so, if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.

Also, happy early New Years, guys! Speaking of New Years, I'm actually doing a New Years 5K tonight at midnight, which, where I'm from, is in about 2 hours! Won't that be fun? I'm going to have purple strokes all the way down my cheeks tomorrow...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I don't really know how I feel about increasing Mewtwo's falling speed. I mean, Mewtwo already has problems recovering low, mostly due to his poor ledge-grab animation and less-than-stellar options when it comes to getting back onstage from the ledge, so I don't know if exacerbating his current situation is worth some extra vertical survivability. Additionally, increasing Mewtwo's falling speed might make him even more vulnerable to combos than he already is, which could wind up counteracting his aforementioned increased survivability. To me, increasing Mewtwo's falling speed seems like it would only serve to weigh him down. That was awful... I might be missing something, though, so, if I'm wrong, please feel free to correct me.
It's a shame that there aren't any bonus effects that can increase a fighter's weight, since Mewtwo could sure use that for dealing with its low weight value.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
It's a shame that there aren't any bonus effects that can increase a fighter's weight, since Mewtwo could sure use that for dealing with its low weight value.
That would be nice, even if I'm not entirely in favor of balancing Mewtwo via increasing his weight. It would be the player's decision, anyhow, so there's no reason to be against it, I suppose. It would definitely be worth messing around with, if only to see how much a weight buff would actually benefit Mewtwo on a quantitative level. I'd be interested in seeing the results of those kinds of tests...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sadly, getting the Anchor Jump equipment is very hard, since it's apparently one of the rarest bonus effects to get; it shares this trait with the Double-Jump Drag equipment, which I don't even have at all right now.

Strangely, I've had better odds of getting Critical Hitter equipment than Anchor Jump equipment. Why the game was made to give you positive bonus effects more frequently is beyond me.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I would like Mewtwo's weight to increase just so that people shut up about it finally.

I'm not against it and I would like any buffs at all if given, but people exacerbate his low weight like it's a complete viability killer and don't give him a chance on his many other positives, especially post-buff.

Oh well. Guess it'll take tournament results to solve that problem.

Oh yeah, and happy new year guys.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Mewtwo with the Thistle Jump equipment... Melee Jigglypuff with all those fairs
Happy Mew Year!
The funny thing about Thistle Jump is that even though it's a positive bonus effect, it can actually make your fighter more vulnerable to getting Star KO'd early. Being a fast faller does have its advantages when it comes to avoiding early KOs after all. However, some characters really can't afford to have such high falling speed values, simply because of how poor their recoveries are; Little Mac is the most obvious.

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
Happy New Year to all Mewtwo players, may you KO many foes with your powerful tail over the next year!

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Happy New Years everyone! Let's keep going at it with our favorite Psychic-type, big-tailed, telekinetic cat thingy!

:150:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm playing through Super Mystery Dungeon, and I've gotta say there's a trend of making useless/bad moves usable in some way. Whether it's Splash letting you bound over enemies, Run Away acting as an immobilization immunizer, or Truant making enemy Pokemon sleepy.

D

Deleted member

Happy New Year!

Also, @Mario Smith, I got the video!
Very Good! That's it! If you cancel the turning animation with a forward dash you can also achieve the other mentioned method. I have more undiscovered techniques, but the last time I tried explaining them in text my thread got locked, such as the "Reversed Pivot Side Special" which involved reversing a pivoted side special for a backwards boost.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's good on Mewtwo, but it could make the difference on someone like Mario and GameWatch. Hopefully it's not entirely useless :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonicninja115

Very Good! That's it! If you cancel the turning animation with a forward dash you can also achieve the other mentioned method. I have more undiscovered techniques, but the last time I tried explaining them in text my thread got locked, such as the "Reversed Pivot Side Special" which involved reversing a pivoted side special for a backwards boost.

Edit: I'm not sure if it's good on Mewtwo, but it could make the difference on someone like Mario and GameWatch. Hopefully it's not entirely useless :(
The problem with Sm4sh right now is that there are a lot of techs. So much, that the lesser one's are often overlooked, and because of this, most people don't know about them. I didn't know boost grabbing was a thing untilt MB accidentally rediscovered it. The mod was probably like, oh, THAT tech, meh everyone should know it cause it is super low on the tech list, beginner level stuff, so I will lock this thread.

Also, feel free to post anything Metagame related in the thread. I don't mind and would actually enjoy any new tech. Plus, I would be able to add them to Mewtwo's tech list! That really needs to be updated...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The problem with Sm4sh right now is that there are a lot of techs. So much, that the lesser one's are often overlooked, and because of this, most people don't know about them. I didn't know boost grabbing was a thing untilt MB accidentally rediscovered it. The mod was probably like, oh, THAT tech, meh everyone should know it cause it is super low on the tech list, beginner level stuff, so I will lock this thread.

Also, feel free to post anything Metagame related in the thread. I don't mind and would actually enjoy any new tech. Plus, I would be able to add them to Mewtwo's tech list! That really needs to be updated...
I would, but my Wii U's in need of repair and my 3DS doesn't have Myuutsu on it :(

Sonicninja115

I would, but my Wii U's in need of repair and my 3DS doesn't have Myuutsu on it :(
Do you mean videos? You don't have to do a video, and I can make them for you if you want. It isn't difficult to make a short video as long as I have the movement down. I will make sure to give you credit for any ideas and techs you give me for videos.

D

Deleted member

Do you mean videos? You don't have to do a video, and I can make them for you if you want. It isn't difficult to make a short video as long as I have the movement down. I will make sure to give you credit for any ideas and techs you give me for videos.
Alright, so to do this one, as stated above, one must reverse a pivoted side-special, which can give a slight backwards boost. I know it works on the Plumber, but I'm unsure about Myuutsu

Here's a giant combo you should try to get recorded. It works best on large characters like Charizard and DK at very low percents.
Jab, down tilt, short hop fair going forward, slow fall nair going forward, ground cancel, jab, down tilt, short hop fair, double jump fair.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Ever since Clouds release (and Mewtwo's buffs that came with him) i've been much more optimistic about good ol' :4mewtwo:
He is way more fun to use now, honestly i hope they won't take any of these buffs away from him in february. (kind of a growing fear)

Right now trying to learn fs jab-locking, boy that stuff is hard. : /

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I have been labbing jab-locking alot. Check out my channel for a bunch of videos. I found two more yesterday, one is an extension and the other might not be new.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_UaAhkB_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlVWyAXYgn4
The ff Uair > sh Fair looks like a pretty neat way to setup a Jablock when a simple Uair > Footstool one won't work. Cool!

The other one with the tipper/sourspot Uair is pretty cool too, but it was even better prepatch before the Uair buff since the Tipper Uair could easily setup into a Jablock at KO percents then. Good to see that it still works at low percents though!

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So...I've approached the whole main situation with an open mind. Decided against:
:4corrin:/:4corrinf: after rewatching the direct and evaluating the playstyle
:4cloud: after realizing he was my worst of the 5 I've been practicing.
SO, other than :4metaknight: and :4lucina:, I'm now down to my final 2 choices for spot #3.
:4mewtwo: or :4greninja:
Both are favorite Pokemon of mine, both have fun and, to my knowledge, viable playstyles, and both seem to be perfect counters for my current 2 mains. I'm not going to drag on this post, I just want some final thoughts as help on this, as this has proven to be a tough choice. I've liked :4greninja: from the start, and while :4mewtwo: wasn't that great at the start, he still was my most wanted character and I still attempted to learn him, even though he was one of the worst characters when he launched. I know it's probably grown tiring to see these posts from me every once in a while, I've been posting here about it since the original Mewtwo thread after all. However, for my New Years Resolution, I plan to finally end this internal debate and finalize my top 3. Maybe I should stick to 1, or maybe even 2 mains, but I'd still want to get my top 3 finalized before even attempting Anther's Ladder. So, any advice from you fellow Mewtwo fans would be greatly appreciated.

A lot of people here double with :4greninja:. The two are pretty similar moveset-wise, like :4fox: and :4falco:.
In a past time, I mained :4metaknight: and had Greninja and :4marth: as counterpicks, and between those three characters you can pretty much counterpick the entire cast. It's tough to remember exactly who to play against who, but there's an answer to everyone with that combination. So pick up Greninja, for the sheer fact that he's a better counterpick for the two characters you already use. Besides, Mewtwo's better as a main than a counterpick, since he's got pretty good matchups across the board.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
A lot of people here double with :4greninja:. The two are pretty similar moveset-wise, like :4fox: and :4falco:.
In a past time, I mained :4metaknight: and had Greninja and :4marth: as counterpicks, and between those three characters you can pretty much counterpick the entire cast. It's tough to remember exactly who to play against who, but there's an answer to everyone with that combination. So pick up Greninja, for the sheer fact that he's a better counterpick for the two characters you already use. Besides, Mewtwo's better as a main than a counterpick, since he's got pretty good matchups across the board.
Are you saying Mewtwo is similar to Greninja? I don't really see it except for both being fast and both being Pokemon (and both having a crappy grab but that's unrelated).

Last edited:
Forward air, back air, neutral air, down air, neutral special, down tilt, grab and forward tilt all bear similarities between the two. It's not super close, but similar, just like the differences between Fox and Falco.

Top Bottom