• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Spoon Sword Social

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Guys, I don't think y'all should shoot Mewtwo down just because he's not perfect. I think you set yourself up there for disappointment if you expected him to be high-tier.

Plus it's only day 2. Enjoy him. There's no other character in the roster like him.
I didn't expect him to be high tier, but I expected him to be at least mid or low. As it stands now, he's about the same level as Zelda.

FFS, why is he lighter? Who was the pinhead on the development team who thought an already large and floaty character needed to also be super easy to kill? That was big problem of his in Melee. You think they'd ****ing learn something from previous mistakes.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Guys, I don't think y'all should shoot Mewtwo down just because he's not perfect. I think you set yourself up there for disappointment if you expected him to be high-tier.

Plus it's only day 2. Enjoy him. There's no other character in the roster like him.
If Mewtwo doesn't have any custom specials, then the same fate will probably be applied to Lucas and the other possible DLC characters as well.

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Mewtwo's light weight can be justified it he's good at areal combat IMHO. As more time in the air could be played to his advantage, kind of like Jigs.

However, I'm not a pro at all, so take my words with a grain of salt.

EDIT:

If Mewtwo doesn't have any custom specials, then the same fate will probably be applied to Lucas and the other possible DLC characters as well.
If that's the case, I hope that Lucas is Luigified at least somewhat, paying $7 for a straight clone is a big no-no in my opinion.

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I have a theory on this. I mentioned a little bit ago that Disable is extremely broken. I believe that Mewtwo wasn't completely finished and was released earlier than originally planned (due to the demand of his release), which would also explain his lack of custom moves. It would appear that Mewtwo is suffering from a case of Mr Game and Watch syndrome.

Mewtwo's light weight can be justified it he's good at areal combat IMHO. As more time in the air could be played to his advantage, kind of like Jigs.

However, I'm not a pro at all, so take my words with a grain of salt.

EDIT:

If that's the case, I hope that Lucas is Luigified at least somewhat, paying $7 for a straight clone is a big no-no in my opinion.
Um, Lucas wasn't a clone in Brawl. Not even close, in fact. All of his aerials were different, he had a tether grab, and his specials, while similar to Ness', were still quite different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Actually, I have a theory on this. I mentioned a little bit ago that Disable is extremely broken. I believe that Mewtwo wasn't completely finished and was released earlier than originally planned (due to the demand of his release), which would also explain his lack of custom moves. It would appear that Mewtwo is suffering from a case of Mr Game and Watch syndrome.
Disable seems quite useless in most cases though, as I can only really land it on easy CPUs.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Disable seems quite useless in most cases though, as I can only really land it on easy CPUs.
Useless and broken! How wonderful. (I forgot to mention that Disable does next to no knockback in the air, and doesn't knockback after you use it a second time on a disabled foe)

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I want frame data on confusion I need to know how long the reflect lasts.

Personally I kinda hope stuff happens to mewtwo on the 28th. Maybe they weren't done with him?

At least side b doesn't put him in freefall. Like Zelda.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I made a thread which gives Mewtwo users an idea on how quickly Mewtwo can get KO'd against Rosalina's attacks. Mewtwo can even get KO'd by Star Bits at the stage center, which is not possible on Mario.

http://smashboards.com/threads/399241/
Ok none of you are going to listen to me.

Mewtwo can take more damge

And you do realize mewtwo was only 109% away from max damage with the star bit attacks (Which i know you know.)

Only 1 of rosalinas attacks in there can get mewtwo at 55% which is the average percentage of getting mewtwo in melee.

Besides like the throphys said mewtwo is a risk anf reward character

But he truely is still more usable than melee.

Last edited:

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
Ok none of you are going to listen to me.

Mewtwo can take more damge

And you do realize mewtwo was only 109% away from max damage with the star bit attacks (Which i know you know.)

Only 1 of rosalinas attacks in there can get mewtwo at 55% which is the average percentage of getting mewtwo in melee.

Besides like the throphys said mewtwo is a risk anf reward character

But he truely is still more usable than melee.
More usuable than Melee? Have you seen Taj's Mewtwo?

I_hate_usernames

Smash Ace
Um, Lucas wasn't a clone in Brawl. Not even close, in fact. All of his aerials were different, he had a tether grab, and his specials, while similar to Ness', were still quite different.
Could you clarify the differences between the two? Sorry, I've never had the chance to fully play Brawl, and the little I did play of him, him and Ness felt very similar.

Red-Ruby

Smash Cadet
I don't know what everyone is explaining about. Mewtwo has amazing zoning options with his tail, he has pretty fast arials, he has a reflect move, disable is actually not hard to hit at all when you use it as a counter after spot dodging and shadow ball is easy to spam at it's lowest power, his smashes are strong and his jumping momentum makes him approach very fast in the air.
You may not play good as him but he is not nearly as bad as everyone is saying if you use the right moves at the right moment, like the ones with beginning and ending lag.

MewtwoX825

Smash Ace
So we've waited months for a character with no new/custom moves and is lighter than was in Melee, are possibly getting another Marth clone, a third party rep from a company allready represented, and the most hype character right now is the same as one we already have but with shilghtly different moves...

Yep this DLC thing is going out pretty well.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Definitely liking Mewtwo more and more after I spent 4 hours fighting CPUs at work.

Still, there are a lot of major hitbox issues I feel that hold M2 back. Also platforms definitely benefit M2 a lot IMO.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Day two, still love Mewtwo. I've played a lot of Ness in Brawl and 4, which has definitely helped my game a lot.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Definitely liking Mewtwo more and more after I spent 4 hours fighting CPUs at work.

Still, there are a lot of major hitbox issues I feel that hold M2 back. Also platforms definitely benefit M2 a lot IMO.
Yes i agree with that.

Hitboxes still needs some work. Hopefully a character tweak update fixes that. (Sakurai once again change of heart, he claimed no more character tweaks.) besides some glitches confirm mewtwo was going to get customs and its a theory that the club nintendo guys (us) gets a beta form of mewtwo, then the full version on the 28th.

And its a shame about half of the mewtwo owners are jumping to conclusions that mewtwo still stinks almost as much as melee.
(This message is for everybody)

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
*sigh*...
So many people are upset that Mewtwo isn't a better character.
Come on guys, even if he's a low tier character, he's still Mewtwo! We got Mewtwo back after a decade! Let's celebrate and not mope, please! <3

And another thing....why are you guys being so quick to judge him anyways?? It's only day 2! Come on!

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think mewtwo is right on the the B and C range of tier.

His zone is mid tier now and just a 3 between 8 or 13 characters from low tier.

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
*sigh*...
Come on guys, even if he's a low tier character, he's still Mewtwo! We got Mewtwo back after a decade! Let's celebrate and not mope, please! <3

And another thing....why are you guys being so quick to judge him anyways?? It's only day 2! Come on!
I'm getting tired of the characters I like sucking. Mewtwo adds another to that 'elite' club.

And he's being judged because his weakness are incredibly apparent. There's no way to get around having laggy moves, being a big target, and dying when slapped with wet spaghetti.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
*sigh*...
Agreed. Also, it seems like a lot of these people with comments like that are those who weren't previously regulars to this thread.

By the way, welcome all Mewtwo-ers! :3

However, I could've sworn someone made a prediction along the lines of this happening in the past.
I was honestly going to repeat the same point I did twice yesterday, but I decided to delete it all >.< I'm all for criticism, but there's a really good chance either way that what we come to after simply a day isn't an accurate conclusion.

Also I have a feeling that I can possibly bring that "MEWTWO DOES X TO PETTY NON-BELIEVERS" forced meme that I did during speculation out of retirement if people keep drawing "final" conclusions about it so soon. :4mewtwo:

Assuming that Mewtwo is/will become low tier though, that doesn't really change anything for me. I mean, an Olimar finished 2nd at APEX, so it'll definitely be possible for someone to get godly with Mewtwo no matter what :D

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Mewtwo feels like he's around the middle of the cast in terms of competitive capabilities: a bit lower if you're unfamiliar with him and a bit higher in the proper hands. He is SO light it isn't even funny for such a big target (I was getting ragdolled in Classic mode at first), but the cannon part of the glass cannon comes through with his damage output, reliable strings, kill setups, and sheer power. He also has a lot of funky movement options and can be pretty slippery, but that takes a lot of practice. He seems like he has real viability potential with practice. Not going to be a top-level competitor with his flaws, but I think he's more usable than a decent chunk of the cast. His jankiness can be a blessing when wielded properly, and he's certainly improved from Melee. I'm glad to have Mr. 150 back. He's LOTS of fun to play as and I expect it'll get better as I get more familiar with the controls.

(I should study soon)

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Sakurai once stated that Mewtwo is the wonky character of Smash,
-He's tall but light
-He's powerful but his attacks are fast
-His projectile is bizarre compared to others
-He mas many unique "status" attacks
-He has an insane recovery despite his large appearance

Mewtwo really does defy all of the laws when it comes to Smash characters...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm being effortlessly two-stocked... as usual... in every match, even Mewtwo dittos...

*sigh* Why would I have expected anything different...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sakurai once stated that Mewtwo is the wonky character of Smash,
-He's tall but light
-He's powerful but his attacks are fast
-His projectile is bizarre compared to others
-He mas many unique "status" attacks
-He has an insane recovery despite his large appearance

Mewtwo really does defy all of the laws when it comes to Smash characters...
Disable is the only status-ish move

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I have played almost 8 hours straight with M2, today. I am so happy that one of my Melee-favorites is finally back after an undeserved absense from brawl!

I see that he is a flawed character, but that's always been the case and I've been fine with that ever since.
The way I see it is that we get Melee Mewtwo with a working reflector, a better recovery and a disable move that's actually useful in some situations

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Ladies and Gentlemen, I introduce to you........THE LEARNING CURVE!!
You see, kids. Nobody is amazing right off the bat. You need to learn the ins and outs of a Smash character and how to utilize them to your advantage, while making the most of your disadvantages!

"*gasp!* What? You're saying I actually have to PRACTICE in order to use a character at full potential?"

That's right! Diligent training is one of the key aspects to getting good at the game!

"But what if I'm not good with them? That means they're a garbage-tier piece of **** that nobody will play, right?"

**** NO! Just because you aren't good with a character doesn't mean other players can't utilize them! You should never write off a character as bad just because you don't know how to play them!

"Wow! Thanks mister! Now I know that you should wait and practice a while before you decide how good a character is!"

That's right, Billy! And knowing is half the battle!

.......seriously, guys. It hasn't even been 2 days...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
You see, kids. Nobody is amazing right off the bat. You need to learn the ins and outs of a Smash character and how to utilize them to your advantage, while making the most of your disadvantages!

"*gasp!* What? You're saying I actually have to PRACTICE in order to use a character at full potential?"

That's right! Diligent training is one of the key aspects to getting good at the game!

"But what if I'm not good with them? That means they're a garbage-tier piece of **** that nobody will play, right?"

**** NO! Just because you aren't good with a character doesn't mean other players can't utilize them! You should never write off a character as bad just because you don't know how to play them!

"Wow! Thanks mister! Now I know that you should wait and practice a while before you decide how good a character is!"

The thing is, I have this problem with every character.

I'm completely clueless on even the basics, it seems.

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
I feel like the lv 9 cpus are much more vicious in this patch. Whenever they would break my shield, they used to just forward tilt or grab, but now they charge up their forward smash. Their air dodges are on point too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I feel like the lv 9 cpus are much more vicious in this patch. Whenever they would break my shield, they used to just forward tilt or grab, but now they charge up their forward smash. Their air dodges are on point too.
9 literally reads your inputs, don't go against them, they also do things that you couldn't possibly do reliably

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Really?
Apparently their air dodges got nerfed. They used to be amazing with them.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
I absolutely love even his losing animation.
He doesn't even clap.
He just stands there all like, "You're not even worth my acknowledgement."
It's called salt.

I should know; I'm a Zelda main, and Sakurai's treatment of her over the past decade is enough to bring the NaCl out of anyone.

Hello, Mewtwos.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

You just descriped why people are stupid to conclude on day 1 he sucks

I played with mewtwo since melee i know he's way better than before.

And also are people even bother to practice with mewtwo, And have they even used mewtwo before?

The trophy even warns on light weight, and its a risk and reward when using mewtwo (mostly close range which is risk since more characters have long range as well, but reward with great knockback.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom