• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Seeing which character fits better seems a rather pointless task at the moment, considering the possible liberties and approaches to characters but whatever.
I mean before the move data was looked at I think 90% of the thread was 100% convinced that it was going to be Erdrick, now there is discussion and speculation again. Yeah it could be anyone and that't the point, it doesn't clearly and definitively point to Erdrick so now speculation can begin again about what that could mean.

Are the numbers placeholders and subject to change? Is Erdrick going to fight in a new weird way? Is it going to be a different version of Erdrick? Who else could it be?

Idk about you but I much prefer the speculation and suspense.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think you're looking too much into it, the post wasn't accusing anyone of anything just that the info was mistaken.

Seeing which character fits better seems a rather pointless task at the moment, considering the possible liberties and approaches to characters but whatever.
That's my point. The post wasn't accusatory. But surely you can see how it could be taken that way. So I gave a suggestion as to how to make sure it doesn't come across that way. Honestly, why is it a big deal? People seem offended for some reason.

D

Deleted member

That's my point. The post wasn't accusatory. But surely you can see how it could be taken that way. So I gave a suggestion as to how to make sure it doesn't come across that way. Honestly, why is it a big deal? People seem offended for some reason.
Like I said, you're looking too much at a post that was only pointing a mistake. The clarification that you ask makes you sound pedantic as no accusation whatsoever was made, and you put the blame of your mistake onto someone else.
I mean before the move data was looked at I think 90% of the thread was 100% convinced that it was going to be Erdrick, now there is discussion and speculation again. Yeah it could be anyone and that't the point, it doesn't clearly and definitively point to Erdrick so now speculation can begin again about what that could mean.

Are the numbers placeholders and subject to change? Is Erdrick going to fight in a new weird way? Is it going to be a different version of Erdrick? Who else could it be?

Idk about you but I much prefer the speculation and suspense.
At this point I just want a reveal man, I'm tired of speculating.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think we're in for the long haul on this one. I don't expect a new character to be announced/revealed, at the earliest, in April-ish. My prediction is E3.

The whole "reveal a character before gameplay is shown" thing was probably a one time deal to incentivize Fighter Pass purchases for the fiscal year.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Like I said, you're looking too much at a post that was only pointing a mistake. The clarification that you ask makes you sound pedantic as no accusation whatsoever was made, and you put the blame of your mistake onto someone else.

At this point I just want a reveal man, I'm tired of speculating.
I'm sorry? I clearly admitted blame in my post. If it sounded strange I apologise. It's hard for some of us on the autism spectrum to understand what people mean and to articulate ourselves well, and I thought a suggestion as to what would make posts easier to understand would be helpful. I guess I shouldn't do that because I don't want my posts to come out sounding like that one did. But I'll say again, the accusatory post was 100% my fault. I take total blame. U Untouch I apologise again for the initial post and now also for the suggestion that sounded mean. I didn't mean it that way.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm glad to see some people are still putting a critical eye to this "definitely positively totes Erdrick" crap. It's refreshing.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I'm glad to see some people are still putting a critical eye to this "definitely positively totes Erdrick" crap. It's refreshing.
While I can see why people do think it’s Erdrick...

I agree that I don’t understand why anyone would be 100% positive on Erdrick with the lack of info that’s concrete/stable (as in things that are not subject to change).

It’s just not enough to draw the definitive conclusion that it is absolutely Erdrick.

StormC

Smash Hero
Sakurai could get a tattoo on his face saying "Dragon Quest is in Smash" and people would still go "but actually..."

I'm reminded of people twisting themselves into a pretzel when Bloody Tears leaked and they tried to claim Castlevania music could be in without Simon.

Not that this case is open and shut, but it's pretty understandable with all the circumstances around "Brave" why people think it's Erdrick/Dragon Quest.

beans

Smash Lord
Sakurai could get a tattoo on his face saying "Dragon Quest is in Smash" and people would still go "but actually..."

I'm reminded of people twisting themselves into a pretzel when Bloody Tears leaked and they tried to claim Castlevania music could be in without Simon.

Not that this case is open and shut, but it's pretty understandable with all the circumstances around "Brave" why people think it's Erdrick/Dragon Quest.
The tatoo would atleast be something that Sakurai himself is associated. Miles better than anything we have.

And to be fair, there are franchises that dont have fighters and still have music.

Most people are believing in Erdrick because of the leakers' words being a tiebreaker

StormC

Smash Hero
The tatoo would atleast be something that Sakurai himself is associated. Miles better than anything we have.

And to be fair, there are franchises that dont have fighters and still have music.

Most people are believing in Erdrick because of the leakers' words being a tiebreaker
That's my point. Both Simon and Erdrick have been backed up by reliable leakers (mostly Vergeben). The leaks and speculation don't exist in a vacuum.

MajoraMan28

Smash Ace
Except Verge still didn't go all in on Erdrick.
He only insists that Erdrick is the most likely given that he is the one he hears the most. But he didn't say that it's clinched.

And here is something he said very recently (pay special attention to his second and third sentences):
1547248643871.png

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
He only insists that Erdrick is the most likely given that he is the one he hears the most. But he didn't say that it's clinched.
This is semantics. It doesn’t actually take away my point whatsoever. Saying “he’s less confident in Erdrick but still confident” is basically a meaningless distinction to us proles.

D

Deleted member

And we also have to remember that we're only having this thread and discussing the possibility of a SE character due to entertaining a leaker's list.
The one that is supporting DQ is Tansut if I recall correctly, whom people trust on the basis of Cloud.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The case with DQ now reminds me a lot to the Little Mac speculation in smash4.

Although I admit the boxing ring stage was a much more tangible proof than what Erdrick has going for him, I still feel that the codename "Brave" + the ammount of people backing him (+ the significance DQ has to videogames and Nintendo in particular), have almost the same weight as the boxing ring stage as evidence in my book.

And I'm as sure that a DQ Hero Will be in this game as I was sure Little Mac would be in Smash4. About 85%ish certain.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

And here is something he said very recently:
View attachment 186477
I do agree with Verge’s statement here. It makes sense, from a marketing perspective, for Square to want DQ in Smash. DQ is both a major Square franchise and one that needs more marketing exposure in the West.

I do find it kind of funny that he sites FF’s long development times when we’ve known about Dragon Quest XI for the Switch since the beginning of the Switch’s lifespan and we’ve barely gotten anything about that.

Maybe it’s to make it coincide with the Smash reveal? That’s the only reason I can think of.

fleshdude.gov

Smash Journeyman
I think we're in for the long haul on this one. I don't expect a new character to be announced/revealed, at the earliest, in April-ish. My prediction is E3.

The whole "reveal a character before gameplay is shown" thing was probably a one time deal to incentivize Fighter Pass purchases for the fiscal year.
I'm of the opinion we'll likely get the reveal in mid-February, since not much is scheduled for that time.

That, and considering how Joker and "brave" have the same number of parameters completed, it's likely that they are both in a very similar stage in development - i.e., finishing up the aerial animations pre-playtesting.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The case with DQ now reminds me a lot to the Little Mac speculation in smash4.

Although I admit the boxing ring stage was a much more tangible proof than what Erdrick has going for him, I still feel that the codename "Brave" + the ammount of people backing him (+ the significance DQ has to videogames and Nintendo in particular), have almost the same weight as the boxing ring stage as evidence in my book.

And I'm as sure that a DQ Hero Will be in this game as I was sure Little Mac would be in Smash4. About 85%ish certain.
The boxing ring was actually good evidence against Mac though. I wanted him but I lost hope after that. Having a generic smash Bros themed boxing ring seemed like a death sentence, because if punch out content was in, surely that would be the boxing ring stage. Then they did the bait and switch and had punch out be an alternate version of the stage.

Untouch

Smash Master
For the record, tansut only ever said it was DQ (and a character with multiple gender alts).
Unless I missed something.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
I do agree with Verge’s statement here. It makes sense, from a marketing perspective, for Square to want DQ in Smash. DQ is both a major Square franchise and one that needs more marketing exposure in the West.

I do find it kind of funny that he sites FF’s long development times when we’ve known about Dragon Quest XI for the Switch since the beginning of the Switch’s lifespan and we’ve barely gotten anything about that.

Maybe it’s to make it coincide with the Smash reveal? That’s the only reason I can think of.

They weren't working on the Switch Port all that time while 15 has had numerous makeovers and was in development hell for a period of time.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm of the opinion we'll likely get the reveal in mid-February, since not much is scheduled for that time.

That, and considering how Joker and "brave" have the same number of parameters completed, it's likely that they are both in a very similar stage in development - i.e., finishing up the aerial animations pre-playtesting.
It’s true that Joker and Brave are probably chugging along at the same speed, but it still might be a while before they’re ready to display in a gameplay trailer. February seems early (based on the fact that Mewtwo took six months to release after having a model viewable by the public). I don’t expect a Joker trailer until April.

D

Deleted member

While I think its an interesting marketing move, I really doubt DQ in Smash is something that would change the situation of DQ on the west without an additional push from SE themselves. That's one of the reasons why I am curious about the incoming DQIX stream, to see if they have additional features that would push the game more among Nintendo fans such as unique Nintendo costumes like some other 3rd party games do.
For the record, tansut only ever said it was DQ (and a character with multiple gender alts).
True, he never specified Erdrick or that the multiple gender alts character was from DQ. I think people assume Erdrick due to the multitude of 5ch leaks mentioning DQ hero alts and having the possibility.

Is there any other character that could potentially have as many alts as the DQ hero or work in the same vein as the Koopalings as share a vehicle/weapon across many characters?
Edit: Disregard for correct info below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

And here is something he said very recently (pay special attention to his second and third sentences):
View attachment 186477
These points have been made before because, yes, Square Enix has been hemmoraging money for a long time and the idea that DQ in Smash is more or less a campaign to remarket it to the West has been the elephant in the room for awhile now. That said, Dragon Quest is a safe and logical guess based on what we know but the details are becoming more and more questionable.

-Coco-

Smash Ace
While I think its an interesting marketing move, I really doubt DQ in Smash is something that would change the situation of DQ on the west without additional output from SE themselves. That's one of the reasons why I am curious about the incoming DQIX stream, to see if they have additional features that would push the game more among Nintendo fans such as unique Nintendo costumes like some other 3rd party games do.

True, he never specified Erdrick or that the multiple gender alts character was from DQ. I think people assume Erdrick due to the multitude of 5ch leaks mentioning DQ hero alts and having the possibility.

Is there any other character that could potentially have as many alts as the DQ hero or work in the same vein as the Koopalings as share a vehicle/weapon across many characters?
He stated it was the character with the alts from the persona 5/dq leak. He clearly meant Erdrick.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
One thing I want to say about the leak that seems fishy to me is them saying that Erdrick has an Anlucia costume. While Anlucia is a popular character from the online game, I'm not sure I can find anything linking her with Erdrick in a meaningful way, and more importantly, she uses a rapier and not a normal sword like the others. Her properties might also have to be a little different anyway just based on her appearance, including weight/speed/height, etc. Apparently "Brave" is somewhat heavy? And Sakurai already said that Isabelle couldn't be an echo because of different animations and personality. So that part doesn't make much sense to me.

Since Anlucia is also one of the more popular characters in Japan, but unknown in the west, it also seems like a uniquely Japanese aspect of the leak, the idea of them lumping in a bunch of popular characters with Erdrick already seems like wishful thinking tbh.

I Know this is a couple of days old, but my computer's been dead all week and I'm catching up. Anlucia is the character that fits the mold of the Hero class in DQX (The player character is not able to have that distinction). That makes her the "Yuusha" of DQX. In Retrospect, it makes perfect sense. Erdrick gets Male/Female alts and they also get alts in the form of other characters, a Male (Luminary) and Female (Anlucia). What makes those specific two interesting is that both of them are the current DQ Projects that SE is working on, so from a marketing perspective it makes all the sense in the world. Not that those details make it more or less likely, but it's definitely well thought out selection if fake. Personally, I never thought of another alt for Female Erdrick, just Luminary, so Anlucia is one of the most interesting things about the Erdrick leaks to me.

As for the stats, If Female Erdrick has them then they certainly can be used for Anlucia. I personally don't think they will go for the Armored design of the character and would rather stick with the more iconic tunic.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I Know this is a couple of days old, but my computer's been dead all week and I'm catching up. Anlucia is the character that fits the mold of the Hero class in DQX (The player character is not able to have that distinction). That makes her the "Yuusha" of DQX. In Retrospect, it makes perfect sense. Erdrick gets Male/Female alts and they also get alts in the form of other characters, a Male (Luminary) and Female (Anlucia). What makes those specific two interesting is that both of them are the current DQ Projects that SE is working on, so from a marketing perspective it makes all the sense in the world. Not that those details make it more or less likely, but it's definitely well thought out selection if fake. Personally, I never thought of another alt for Female Erdrick, just Luminary, so Anlucia is one of the most interesting things about the Erdrick leaks to me.

As for the stats, If Female Erdrick has them then they certainly can be used for Anlucia. I personally don't think they will go for the Armored design of the character and would rather stick with the more iconic tunic.
Swear to god if that banana head ass and a girl who isn't even the actual protagonist of her game gets in as an alt before Eight, the only DQ character I will ever truly love

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Yeah, but Anlucia is exactly the kind of thing a Japanese faker would come up with for exactly the reasons you stated, whereas if this were a fake leak from 4chan, she would be nowhere to be seen. Kind of like how, Eight is nowhere to be seen in this leak, despite being the most popular Hero character in the west.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Swear to god if that banana head *** and a girl who isn't even the actual protagonist of her game gets in as an alt before Eight, the only DQ character I will ever truly love
Maybe they'll put in DQ 8 music hopefully I'm sorry if it's not good enough but it could be something

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Yeah, but Anlucia is exactly the kind of thing a Japanese faker would come up with for exactly the reasons you stated, whereas if this were a fake leak from 4chan, she would be nowhere to be seen. Kind of like how, Eight is nowhere to be seen in this leak, despite being the most popular Hero character in the west.
I was mostly responding to the part of your post where you said you couldn't find a link between Anlucia and Erdrick. Either way, like I said, It's not something that changes the likeliness of the leak, just noting how much sense it makes in retrospect from a marketing standpoint.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
I'm kind of curious about the Female alt part of the rumor that Tansut mentioned. Like, the most noticeable difference between Erdrick and Girldrick is that Girldrick is a head shorter. Smash alts cant do that, so would their height just be compromised like Robin? Telling them apart would probably be a pain, especially if they ended up not having voices.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm kind of curious about the Female alt part of the rumor that Tansut mentioned. Like, the most noticeable difference between Erdrick and Girldrick is that Girldrick is a head shorter. Smash alts cant do that, so would their height just be compromised like Robin? Telling them apart would probably be a pain, especially if they ended up not having voices.
Honestly, it'd be trivially easy to size Femdrick up.
Unlike Isabelle, she's not a different character so it wouldn't be too out of place.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Honestly, it'd be trivially easy to size Femdrick up.
Unlike Isabelle, she's not a different character so it wouldn't be too out of place.
Well yes, but what I was getting at is they would probably look really similar since they'd have to be the same size. Unlike the Robins, the Erdricks have the same hair style.

This isn't me making an argument against them by the way, I'm just rambling.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
A compromise seems good enough. The Koopalings are all varying sizes too and they are all the same size inside the clown car.

Well yes, but what I was getting at is they would probably look really similar since they'd have to be the same size. Unlike the Robins, the Erdricks have the same hair style.

This isn't me making an argument against them by the way, I'm just rambling.
I wouldn't call it the same. There is a difference. Male's hair goes up similar to adult Gohan or Vegeta while the Female's is a bit more sporadic like Crono's

Last edited:

Rumble Red

Smash Journeyman
The Anlucia thing is a point of doubt for me. Not because she couldn't work as an Erdrick alt (though I don't think she's ever been depicted with a shield), but because the game she's from is never getting localized. DQX's producer mentioned a while ago that there'd been some talk of doing an offline version of the game to sell overseas, but the idea that it'd have to be rebuilt from the ground up before we could get it frankly makes me even more pessimistic. If putting a Dragon Quest character in Smash really was a western-focused marketing exercise from Square Enix, as the rumour that included Anlucia claimed, throwing her in would be a strange move.

Maybe if they'd localized the Fortune Street game for PS4 that Anlucia was in, the crossover with Final Fantasy, a few people would be peripherally aware of who the heck she is. I'm still astonished that that game, with Cloud and Kefka and Yuna and Noctis in it, was never brought over and nobody cared. Of course Square not localizing DQ games is a regular thing, but shouldn't Final Fantasy fans have made a fuss?

Top Bottom