• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[SPOILER ALERT] - The Sevens Squares. - A Square-Enix general support threads.

Who do you think is the most likely possible Square-Enix Newcomer? (Two Choices possibles)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
What makes me doubt they'll go for the chibi design is the fact that the leaker Tansut said that Erdrick would have male and female palettes like Robin and Corrin. The chibi design never had an official female design for some reason (despite being in the original game), and considering how much Sakurai likes to include male and female versions of the character as palettes in Smash, I would think he'd go for the adult design because of it.

Not to mention the fact that the Luminary is also rumored to be an alternate costume of Erdrick. If he's supposedly part of the game as Erdrick's palette, then they would have to have the same size and proportions.

D

Deleted member

Looking through the past few Pages and yeah we need to make Operation Starfall a thing it's very apparent that we are on the edge of victory with Nintendo knowing we want him, Sakurai and Co knowing we want him even Square knowing we want him.
Then move your support.

It's obvious if Geno doesn't get in now, he'll never get in unless something changes.

So make something change.
I agree with some of what you just said we DO need to make things change and spread out our support from Just Smash to Mario and Nintendo in general (this is probably just my interpretation) But to say we need to Stop supporting him for smash? That's not a good idea... Smash has been the backbone of the fanbase for a decade and if we just so happen to fail? We need somewhere to fall back upon.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
So, be honest with me guys: how many of you have lost your optimism on the Pass with Erdrick's nigh-inevitable presence? Just asking out of curiosity.
If anything I'm way more excited because Hero (rather than Erdrick) sounds exciting, and the two big leaks peg the last characters as either Tracer, Sol Badguy, and Leon S. Kennedy or Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, and Steve. Like, there's nothing not exciting about those rumors to me.

I got Joker, man. I could get (almost) anyone and be happy. It just so happens that the big rumors are really interesting.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't think that is the outright solution. It's clear that this current game plan can work(Look at Ridley and K.Rool), it just needs varying amounts of time. Plus, we should just not abandon Smash support all together, as that has been this community's backbone and motivator for over a decade. We just need to do more outside the Smash community.
Except the support for Geno has never been as loud or as consistent over the years. No demand for Melee, high demand for Brawl, middling demand for Sm4sh, and varying demand for Ultimate.

If characters get cut for the next Smash Geno has to compete with them and other prominent picks. Don't forget the other Square Enix characters Geno goes up against by nature.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

K. Rool got a massive surge of worldwide popularity and an opportunity to show it. Ridley got recognized after 17 years of consistent support. Geno, a third party character, has neither of these attributes.

Your best bet is to get him relevancy and get him in with the Mario series again. That's where Operation Starfall comes in. Look at Operation Rainfall and Operation Moonfall. Learn from them and turn an inconsistent effort to get Geno in Smash to a consistent effort to get him in anything.

Shulk's fans worried about getting Xenoblade Chronicles to America first, and then supported him for Smash. Just saying.

Nicnac

Smash Ace
So, be honest with me guys: how many of you have lost your optimism on the Pass with Erdrick's nigh-inevitable presence? Just asking out of curiosity.
It's dropped a bit. Geno was my number one pick with everyone else (Banjo, Bandana Dee and Doomguy) in more distant positions. I'm really not an Erdrick guy, but it'd feel even worse if it's a surprise Geno, because then Erdrick fans would be hit harder than Golden Sunbathers on November first. So it has dropped, but K. Rool and Ridley got in, so I'm not giving up completely, just a bit sad rn.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
So, what exactly would "Operation Starfall" be anyway?

If anything I'm way more excited because Hero (rather than Erdrick) sounds exciting, and the two big leaks peg the last characters as either Tracer, Sol Badguy, and Leon S. Kennedy or Ryu Hayabusa, Doomguy, and Steve. Like, there's nothing not exciting about those rumors to me.

I got Joker, man. I could get (almost) anyone and be happy. It just so happens that the big rumors are really interesting.
I personally find the secound option more exciting and realistic.

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
Hmm... very interesting.

I do have one question though...

What were those extra stats found in the previous datamine relating to if they weren’t for Piranha Plant?

The data I’m referring to had a weight of 94, run speed of 1.12, and an air speed of 1.

I wouldn’t normally pay attention to this, but I know for a fact that no character, including Joker or “Brave” has a run speed of 1.12. (I made threads of all the weight, run speed, and air speed prior to Ultimate’s release)
To my knowledge, they just got changed. Who knows why, honestly.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Your best bet is to get him relevancy and get him in with the Mario series again. That's where Operation Starfall comes in. Look at Operation Rainfall and Operation Moonfall. Learn from them and turn an inconsistent effort to get Geno in Smash to a consistent effort to get him in anything.
'ey, as someone wanting to really spearhead this thing, what exactly are Operation Rainfall and Moonfall? Would love to look at those as sources of inspiration for this campaign.

D

Deleted member

Doesn't Incineroar also have a speed of 1.12?

Nevermind, its 1.18. The 1.12 would make the character the slowest.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Looking through the past few Pages and yeah we need to make Operation Starfall a thing it's very apparent that we are on the edge of victory with Nintendo knowing we want him, Sakurai and Co knowing we want him even Square knowing we want him.

I agree with some of what you just said we DO need to make things change and spread out our support from Just Smash to Mario and Nintendo in general (this is probably just my interpretation) But to say we need to Stop supporting him for smash? That's not a good idea... Smash has been the backbone of the fanbase for a decade and if we just so happen to fail? We need somewhere to fall back upon.
I think reinstating him into Mario games is what would greatly increase his chances. So, I think that should be the focus but of course the Smash support would be the backbone of it all.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Hasn't changed at all. If anything I'm more excited because with Erdrick/Hero, the sky's the limit really.

I don't think you understand. Operation Starfall would be a consistent, focused effort. Not something you try, fail once or twice, and then go back to the same old stuff; it's something where you keep trying until you see results, no matter how long that takes.

If you think you need somewhere to fall back on then you've already failed.

Last edited:

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
Except the support for Geno has never been as loud or as consistent over the years. No demand for Melee, high demand for Brawl, middling demand for Sm4sh, and varying demand for Ultimate.

If characters get cut for the next Smash Geno has to compete with them and other prominent picks. Don't forget the other Square Enix characters Geno goes up against by nature.

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

K. Rool got a massive surge of worldwide popularity and an opportunity to show it. Ridley got recognized after 17 years of consistent support. Geno, a third party character, has neither of these attributes.

Shulk's fans worried about getting Xenoblade Chronicles to America first, and then supported him for Smash. Just saying.
I get it, we should spread out, but the community should not abandon Smash support. That is pretty much this community's foundation. It's what motivates so many people and what has been the goal post for over a decade. You get rid of that, and many more people will call it quits. The community should expand, not move.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, gotta admit it's nice to hear these answers. Quite glad things don't devolve into doom and no gloom for many.

D

Deleted member

My optimism on the pass remains completely the same with Erdrick. He’s a cool character as I’ve come to learn. Although it does likely mean third-party focus, so maybe the Doomguy pipe-dream isn’t so far fetched.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I don't think you understand. Operation Starfall would be a consistent, focused effort. Not something you try, fail once or twice, and then go back to the same old stuff; it's something where you keep trying until you see results, no matter how long that takes.
But Geno has gotten results. The Mii costume and Spirits are proof of that. It's not like we have been totally ignored.

D

Deleted member

Hasn't changed at all. If anything I'm more excited because with Erdrick/Hero, the sky's the limit really.

If you think you need somewhere to fall back on then you've already failed.
Fair enough. Guess I didn't look at it that way.

Edit: have never been apart of an "Operation ____" Before so forgive my lack of knowledge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
My monkey brain wants to be bitter that it isn't Sora but I figure I should just suck it up and actually try out a DQ so I could at least enjoy this.

Cuz you know what they say:
A3VWbPqCMAMXmI1.jpg

The only people who don't like Dragon Quest have never played one.

Probably, I doubt it's a god tier series or anything.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
'ey, as someone wanting to really spearhead this thing, what exactly are Operation Rainfall and Moonfall? Would love to look at those as sources of inspiration for this campaign.
Operation Rainfall was a successful fan-effort to petition Nintendo to release localized versions of Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, and The Last Story in North American regions. Operation Moonfall was a similar fan-effort to petition Nintendo to remake The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask for the 3DS.
I get it, we should spread out, but the community should not abandon Smash support. That is pretty much this community's foundation. It's what motivates so many people and what has been the goal post for over a decade. You get rid of that, and many more people will call it quits. The community should expand, not move.
I think you're underestimating the Geno fanbase. Similar to Isaac, most of them just want to see Geno again. The way I see it, if you just want Geno for Smash Bros. and not in general, then you're not even a fan of the character.

You can't have both an effort to get him in Smash and a general effort at the same time. Make the Smash effort a part of the general effort and it could work, but not if you do both at the same time. The general effort is what needs focus, not the other way around.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
The only thing I'll say about this is if it really is Erdrick, then I finally think the door is open for Geno. I don't want Geno. Never have and Never will, but I've always said that he was never going to be the 1st or 2nd SE rep. Being the 3rd SE rep was always his best option.

It lines up with my predictions, so for me it's currently in line to be the best possible scenario outside of assist trophy promotions and Microsoft not getting a rep.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
My monkey brain wants to be bitter that it isn't Sora but I figure I should just suck it up and actually try out a DQ so I could at least enjoy this.

Cuz you know what they say:
View attachment 185461
The only people who don't like Dragon Quest have never played one.

Probably, I doubt it's a god tier series or anything.
I do wish DQ3 was as readily available as DQ 7-9.
My optimism on the pass remains completely the same with Erdrick. He’s a cool character as I’ve come to learn. Although it does likely mean third-party focus, so maybe the Doomguy pipe-dream isn’t so far fetched.
I love how much it helps Phoenix Wright's chances as well.

FLGibsonIII

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I am really glad I didn't buy the fighter pass. I was going into this fully expecting to buy it, but now at this rate there might be a real chance I don't like any single character in the pass. No offense to people who like it.

EarlTamm

Smash Hero
I think you're underestimating the Geno fanbase. Similar to Isaac, most of them just want to see Geno again. The way I see it, if you just want Geno for Smash Bros. and not in general, then you're not even a fan of the character.

You can't have both an effort to get him in Smash and a general effort at the same time. Make the Smash effort a part of the general effort and it could work, but not if you do both at the same time. The general effort is what needs focus, not the other way around.
I do want him to see him more iin general, I am just talking about a community wide perspective. And it was kinda a jerk move to accuse me of not being a fan. And I think a general effort would include Smash, as it being general would include every Nintendo related thing, like Smash.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I am really glad I didn't buy the fighter pass. I was going into this fully expecting to buy it, but now at this rate there might be a real chance I don't like any single character in the pass. No offense to people who like it.
Surely there will be a diversity of characters beyond the Japanese-centric/niche two we've seen. I mean, we have three more to go, so there's bound to be one or two that suits people's tastes.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
But Geno has gotten results. The Mii costume and Spirits are proof of that. It's not like we have been totally ignored.
Is that what you want?

For a campaign to get Geno as a character in Smash the Geno fanbase has largely failed. Going from concession prize to .png is hardly a victory. For a general effort? That's a win, but it's two appearances in two games spread out over four years. Hardly a victory.

A large problem is that Geno's fanbase scatters after Smash speculation. "Oh, we'll get 'em next game." No, don't get 'em next game, get them now. Keep voicing demand to see him in some form, whether it be an SMRPG remake, or sequel, or for Mario Kart or Mario Tennis Aces or another spin-off game. Something, that's actually playable.
I do want him to see him more in general, I am just talking about a community wide perspective. And it was kinda a jerk move to accuse me of not being a fan. And I think a general effort would include Smash, as it being general would include every Nintendo related thing, like Smash.
Buddy, if you want to see Geno in general, you're a fan.

I'm saying that anyone who only wants Geno in Smash isn't really a fan of the character. If rumors are to be believed, Square Enix is worried about him becoming a Smash Bros. character, and that's holding him back. So make sure he isn't by voicing demand for other projects with Geno in it.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Nothing has changed for me. I already had the thought that I wouldn’t know/care about at least 2 of the characters in the DLC (hopefully nothing more than 2). A DQ Rep just fills 1 of those 2 spots.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know, in regards to The
Not to mention the fact that the Luminary is also rumored to be an alternate costume of Erdrick. If he's supposedly part of the game as Erdrick's palette, then they would have to have the same size and proportions.
While I agree that everyone seems to have forgotten about Tansut implying that the character that would be Erdrick would have the female variation. (Hope I didn't sound like a Kraang)

But don't forget.
Luminary had a chibi version on the 3DS game. And remember there was no Twilight Princess Sheik, back on the Wii Smash era, and that didn't get in the way.

But I agree. I much prefer the adult version as opposed to the chibi style. But heck, as long as he's in!

If they go with chibi, then I believe there's a greater plan in store. Like for example, have all party members be the same size, making it easier to change not only the character's design, but the party members that go with the character.

So for example, if one alt had Amos(DQ6) as the heavy hitting axe-wielding Warrior. And then you got Yangus(DQ8) as the axe-wielding Warrior to go with Eight's alt color, those two couldn't work if they had realistic proportions, because Yangus is short and stubby, and Amos is tall and buff. But make them all chibi? And maybe se could get more character variety through the party members.

So, what I'm trying to say is.... If being Chibi is a way to put more characters in as party members, then that doesn't sound too bad at all.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This is gonna sound ridiculously over-confident, but honestly if Geno in any way makes a return to relevance, whether it be a remake or appearing in a sports game, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make it into Smash soon after.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
This is gonna sound ridiculously over-confident, but honestly if Geno in any way makes a return to relevance, whether it be a remake or appearing in a sports game, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t make it into Smash soon after.
Like I said. Getting him in an actual mainstream game is what would get him on at least Daisy's level.

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Just came back online, and holy ****! Pack it up, boys/girls, cause Erdrick's a lock.

It sucks that the info had to get out the way it did, though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You could say that you're quite... the doll.

-----------

Anyway, I like the chibi design. Quite cute and portrays him pretty well.
tenor (4).gif

...good one LST

I don't really know how to feel to be honest.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
All I ask is that Erdrick looks like this in Smash. Sakurai, please, please do not go with that awful chibi design that SE wisely moved on from since 1996, because if you want to make Dragon Quest appealing to the West, Erdrick has to look "cool".

View attachment 185450

Also I really want Female Erdrick in Smash because I used her in my first DQ3 playthrough.
Ugh, I'd much rather the Famicon design instead of Gohan in cosplay. Tho when it comes to Smash they've always been good at giving everyone their best designs for the most part. (You can be subjective about Zelda all you want, I won't hear it.)

Not that much. I mean I'm pretty meh about a character I've never heard of before from a series I don't care about, but Joker alone sold the Pass for me and I would've bought the Pass anyways even if they added the ****tiest characters in it. There are still 3 slots.
I'm less optimistic that these choices seem to be dictated by leaks and it just sucks the fun out of speculation.

D

Deleted member

My Optimism lowered some cause IF one of those leaks (Steve/Ryu/Doom and Doom/???/???) are to be believed Banjo won't get in either and he's a very close second for me. Ryu would be kinda cool Ngl and I'm sure it would make other's happy the pass just wouldn't be for me.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Just came back online, and holy ****! Pack it up, boys/girls, cause Erdrick's a lock.

It sucks that the info had to get out the way it did, though.
The direct revealing the second dlc pass member can't come soon enough.
DQ3 is available on mobile phones and according to people in the thread it's a very very good port.
Really? Where can one find these?

CureParfait

Smash Ace
If Erdrick was the 2nd DLC, my optimism dropped quite of bit since the only DLC that seem interesting so far is Joker. Plus I kind of prefer first-party DLC until the 5th DLC character to be honest.

Last edited:

Nicnac

Smash Ace
Can I ask why everyone is suddenly hopping on the Ryu/Doomguy/Steve leak? Is there any evidence other than having an already announced character and a guy that insiders call by far the most likely?

Top Bottom